Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Your posts have been extremely helpful, and have made things far clearer than STEP, etc. (which are themselves pretty good). If I understand the general sequence correctly:

1. Launch everything through Mod Organizer. Seriously, everything.
2. Load mods into Mod Organizer
3. Select the mods you want to use
4. Run BOSS
5. Organize the mods in the left-hand pane of Mod Organizer in the same priority as BOSS organized the ESPs and ESMs in the right-hand pane
6. Run Wrye Bash
7. Create Bashed Patch
8. Activate Bashed Patch
9. Run TES5Edit
10. Create Merged Patch
11. Activate Merged Patch
12. Create various proccer patches (e.g. Automatic Variants)
13. Activate various proccer patches
14. Run SKSE_Loader
15. Play Skyrim until you decide to play with mods some more

Is this correct?

After 4, use TESVEdit to clean mods marked dirty by BOSS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Ynglaur posted:

Your posts have been extremely helpful, and have made things far clearer than STEP, etc. (which are themselves pretty good). If I understand the general sequence correctly:

1. Launch everything through Mod Organizer. Seriously, everything.
2. Load mods into Mod Organizer
3. Select the mods you want to use
4. Run BOSS
5. Organize the mods in the left-hand pane of Mod Organizer in the same priority as BOSS organized the ESPs and ESMs in the right-hand pane
6. Run Wrye Bash
7. Create Bashed Patch
8. Activate Bashed Patch
9. Run TES5Edit
10. Create Merged Patch
11. Activate Merged Patch
12. Create various proccer patches (e.g. Automatic Variants)
13. Activate various proccer patches
14. Run SKSE_Loader
15. Play Skyrim until you decide to play with mods some more

Is this correct?

If you are using both a bashed patch and a merged patch you should remove the leveled lists from the merged patch (since that's what the bashed patch will take care of). To do this expand the patch in the left pane of tesedit and find the Leveled Items section, right click and choose remove.

I'm not sure where stuff like ENB would fit in.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ENB should basically go at the end when you've tested your FPS performance with all texture mods/scripts and should also go in the SKSE category where ModOrganizer is not used.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Nothing on a mod that allows you to be more free in breaking laws and/or being noticed by guards?

Another question - with Resplendent Racials how the heck do you use the Orc's stomp? I've had it go off once or twice accidentally but can't figure it out.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Helicity posted:

Nothing on a mod that allows you to be more free in breaking laws and/or being noticed by guards?

Another question - with Resplendent Racials how the heck do you use the Orc's stomp? I've had it go off once or twice accidentally but can't figure it out.

A quick search came up with Reneers Crime Overhaul http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9887/
and Realistic Crime Radius http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8078/

Maybe those will work for you.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
What happens if you don't clean dirty mods? I ask because I never have bothered and my games have run just fine, for the most part (I get the NO KEYBOARD FOR YOU error when fast-traveling to Whiterun sometimes, which is annoying, but not completely unsolveable). Do things eventually explode late in the game?

Edit: Dude who built SPERG, you are amazing and awesome, and you really changed the game for me. Thank you so much. I only know you as Kim Jong-Un and I'm pretty sure that's not actually your handle. Keep on rocking in the Nord world, though.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.
I just ran into the damndest bug with Realistic Needs and Diseases, and I can't seem to find a thing about it anywhere. After enabling it, I went to sleep at the inn, and woke up with 50 less carrying capacity. I've tried doing it in increments, simply waiting, and I have no clue. Just about 6 am I lose 50 lbs of carrying capacity. Hunger/thirst levels are fine, and disabling the mod removes the effect, as does simply not enabling it and performing the same actions. Has anyone run into this? I've scoured the internet and can't find a thing.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

atomicgeek posted:

Edit: Dude who built SPERG, you are amazing and awesome, and you really changed the game for me. Thank you so much. I only know you as Kim Jong-Un and I'm pretty sure that's not actually your handle. Keep on rocking in the Nord world, though.

Thanks! Your comment is especially appreciated today, since I just had to deal with a troll on the nexus page. Not a big deal, but it's nice to remember that those people are the exception, and at least some folks are really enjoying the mod. :)

I think you're confusing two of us, though. I made SPERG, and Scyantific blessed us with this thread.

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Oh right then, somehow I thought he was responsible for the mod. Well, then. Thanks to the correct person, seorin. Haters gon' hate but they are jerks and buttholes. It's a good mod.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

It has certainly fixed my complaints earlier today about the perk system.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

"We Must Dissent"

atomicgeek posted:

What happens if you don't clean dirty mods? I ask because I never have bothered and my games have run just fine, for the most part (I get the NO KEYBOARD FOR YOU error when fast-traveling to Whiterun sometimes, which is annoying, but not completely unsolveable). Do things eventually explode late in the game?

Tesedit cleans two kinds of dirty edits. Identical to master and deleted records. Identical to master entries means the mod contains a copy of an entry with the exact same information as the master file it comes from. Usually this happens unintentionally because the CK includes everything you touch even if you don't change it. These are potentially bad because if you have another mod that does change that entry but the dirty mod loads after it the intentional change is overwritten. Most of the time all that happens is you miss out on something from a mod, but if the change is very important it could mess stuff up or possible crash you. Deleted records are more dangerous. Say you are adding another room to breezehome so you open it up in the ck and delete a part of the wall and put a new room through the hole. The wall you deleted gets saved in your mod as a deleted record. Its not actually gone since its still in skyrim.esm but your mod tells the game to treat it as gone. If another mod tries to do anything to that bit of wall skyrim will crash.

Tesedit cleans identical dirty edits by removing them from the esp. Deleted record dirty edits have the deleted flag removed and it is instead marked disabled and its in game height is set to -2 million or so so it won't actually show up in game even if re-enabled but referencing a disabled object is fine, it just doesn't really accomplish anything. If you aren't using a ton of mods cleaning isn't super important, usually. If you have lots the odds of something going wrong goes up. In theory mod authors should clean their mods before releasing them and the user doesn't have to, but that often doesn't happen.

And yes Seorin is awesome.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

seorin posted:

Thanks! Your comment is especially appreciated today, since I just had to deal with a troll on the nexus page. Not a big deal, but it's nice to remember that those people are the exception, and at least some folks are really enjoying the mod. :)

I think you're confusing two of us, though. I made SPERG, and Scyantific blessed us with this thread.

SPERG is straight-up the best Skyrim mod ever made and I am at a loving loss as to how anyone ever played this game without it.

If anyone else is using Hunterborn, I'd recommend giving Realistic Animals and Predators a try: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/10175/

Adding more complex and interesting animal behavior does a lot to make hunting more fun. Grazer animals will graze, predators will periodically hunt for and eat prey, thirsty animals will gather around watering holes, etc. Solitary animals will roam alone, while animals you would expect to find in herds or packs will be found in herds or packs (and occasionally on their own). Predator animals of different species will occasionally fight over kills. There are a bunch of other little changes to animal behavior, and the end result so far from what I've seen is that hunting is much less a matter of 'wander around searching for lone random animal standing in random location, chase after it, whack it a few times', and much more about actually tracking prey by searching in places you would logically expect to find animals and then sneaking up on them while they are doing animal things.

e: Note however that it also makes some roaming NPC types, such as bandits and hunters, hunt game animals. You might get a perfectly lined-up kill shot spoiled by some other loving rear end in a top hat's arrow out of nowhere, because they were sneaking up on the same deer, and of course they miss and it runs off, ruining your kill. I've had this happen several times now and have usually responded by murdering the offender, because gently caress kill-spoilers.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 8, 2014

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
Thanks guys. :3:

Now I feel bad I still haven't gone and fixed some of those final few bugs. I keep meaning to get around to it.

Quift
May 11, 2012
So would this be a complete step by step of which steps to take and in which order. anything to add or substract? and if this is the correct steps maybe they should go into the OP.

Correct handling of 3rd party applications for modding skyrim posted:

1. Install SKSE
2. Launch everything through Mod Organizer. Seriously, everything.
3. Load mods into Mod Organizer
4. Select the mods you want to use
5. SkyUI will complain about not seeing SKSE. It will work fine anyway.
6. Run BOSS
7. Run TES5 edit änd clean all mods that need cleaning.
8. Organize the mods in the left-hand pane of Mod Organizer in the same priority as BOSS organized the ESPs and ESMs in the right-hand panel
9. Run Wrye Bash
10. Create Bashed Patch
11. Go into Overwrite folder, create and archive and install the bashed patch as a separate mod
12. Activate Bashed Patch
13. Run TES5Edit
14. Create Merged Patch (deselect leveled lists)
15. Go into Overwrite folder, reproduce step 9.
16. Delete contents of the overwrite folder.
17. Activate Merged Patch
18. Create various proccer patches (e.g. Automatic Variants)
19. Activate various proccer patches
20. Run SKSE_Loader
21. Play Skyrim until you decide to play with mods some more
22. Install ENB
23. In case of savefile bloat – add an .ini file for skse and write ClearInvalidRegistrations=1

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

The best part about SPERG isn't that its a mod that changes things. It's a mod that changes things almost entirely for the better with no real faults that I've seen. Nothing's overpowered, it doesn't cause any bugs, everything is done for a reason and makes the game more enjoyable. So many other mods out there have horseshit execution because someone had an idea and poo poo it out because it's easy to see Skyrim's problems, but difficult to actually fix those problems. Seorin (over the last few months) explores concepts of gameplay and has logical reasons for everything. That's a huge change from how the rest of the modding scene seems to work.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Helicity posted:

I modded the Thane scripts which reset the crime status after iHoursToRespawnCell have passed. So if you're Thane, eventually the guards will always let you get away with more poo poo, instead of just being a one-off like in the unplugged game.

I haven't released it, but if you're interested in something like that, I can. It doesn't require a plugin file IIRC, just the script.

e: and https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/45047

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jan 8, 2014

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Quift posted:

So would this be a complete step by step of which steps to take and in which order. anything to add or substract? and if this is the correct steps maybe they should go into the OP.

I pretty much do 1-6,8, and 20-21 only (22 as well if you count sweetfx over enb), and my game works great with about ~100 or so mods. I don't have a ton of armor/weapon conflicts though which is probably where the bashed patches come in. Also the cleanup in step 8 only matters for textures, it won't affect the load order of your .esps.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I'm minding my own business in Whiterun, just ambling home from the Bannered Mare, and this guard who's awkwardly trying to make smalltalk with me doesn't take the hint that if I walk inside while he's still talking, I'm probably not that interesting in the conversation, and he follows me into my own home! So naturally, being curious about what the Castle Doctrine laws in this Hold are, I quicksave and then attempt to murder him. His face was covered and he had a sword, OK? I feared for my life! Before I can land the killing blow, one of his buddies spawns in my living room and gives me a bounty, so I have to murder him too. Then a couple more show up out of nowhere...

Long story short, I've got five dead guards in my kitchen. I poke my head outside and everything seems quiet. I wander around a bit, chat up some other guards, none of them seem to notice their missing buddies and I've got no bounty in the hold. I go take care of that nuisance giant, collect the bounty at the palace, head home, and of course I've still got a pile of dead guards in my kitchen. I loot them and sell most of their gear at Warmaiden's, but they're majorly in the way in such a small house. I haul them upstairs and stash them in my housecarl's bedroom since she never seems to sleep there anyway. A couple sidequests later, Lydia's bed is still five-deep in burly loinclothed corpses.

I guess what I'm asking is, do houses preserve corpses longer than normal? Are they going to disappear eventually or do I have to write off my guest bedroom as Dead Guy Storage?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I think any place flagged as a player home keeps anything inside of it indefinitely, it's kind of the entire point of having a player home. And stuff you leave on dressers, beds, shelves or put into chests or wardrobes stays there unless you remove it somehow. As far as I know there's no way to actually move stuff between cells, so you'll probably have to console delete it all.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I suppose if they're permanent I could use them as ugly storage chests.

Denarius
Feb 25, 2013
Houses don't keep corpses around any longer than normal, but every time you enter your house you reset the timer that controls when they disappear. If houses did keep corpses permanently, it would be quite useful for necromancers, but this is not the case. You will eventually lose anything you put on their corpse if you're away from home for too many days in game.

edit: basically npcs have a respawn timer, but so does the location they spawned in, and also the location they are currently in, and if any of those timers go off, the person or corpse, despawns.

Denarius fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 8, 2014

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah, the cell doesn't respawn, so those guards are there permanently. Which, if you care, means Whiterun will be missing a few guards from now on. (Normally, guards you kill will come back, but since they're in a cell where they don't respawn...)

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah nevermind, Denarius is right - I checked.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 8, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm definitely going to experiment when I get home from work.

I'm only running a few minor mods if it matters. Unofficial Patches, SkyUI, bounty gold, roads on the world map, dragon soul relinquishment, I think one or two other small things, and of course Uncle Sheograth.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Entropic posted:

If you REALLY want to get rid of them, you can console them out. Click on the body and use one of the following commands. SAVE BEFORE DOING THIS.

MarkForDelete Delete an object. Deletes the targeted object the next time the area (cell) it resides in is reloaded. Useful for removing specific unwanted furniture/decoration from homes. Be careful as there's no way to restore deleted objects. Objects marked for delete will show [D] next to their ref ID if you re-target (re-click) them. Can be used to remove Ash Piles and Ghost Remains, which otherwise never get removed from the world.

disable Don't render the selected object (includes actors.) The object will be made invisible, collision will also be turned off and AI won't process on the object, but scripting on the object will run (unlike Oblivion, where it would instantly crash to desktop, the player can't be disabled).

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
If it's bothering you, open the console and click on the corpse and type disable. Alternatively there's a command to reset references but I don't remember it off the top of my head (disabling will essentially remove that spawn from your save forever, which since you killed them I guess you don't care, but for-warning).

E::argh:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Skyrim Modding/Troubleshooting - Permanent corpses act as ugly storage chests

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mr. Crow posted:

If it's bothering you, open the console and click on the corpse and type disable. Alternatively there's a command to reset references but I don't remember it off the top of my head (disabling will essentially remove that spawn from your save forever, which since you killed them I guess you don't care, but for-warning).

E::argh:
Deleting them will remove them permenently. If you disable them you can always bring them back with "enable", provided you know the refid. Once you markfordelete them though, they're toast.

Anyway, they will disappear if you leave the cell long enough.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Denarius posted:

Houses don't keep corpses around any longer than normal.
The base game's playerhouses are flagged to not reset, so those bodies would stay no matter how long you wait.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.

Entropic posted:

They'd make good mannequins also.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

seorin posted:

Thanks guys. :3:

Now I feel bad I still haven't gone and fixed some of those final few bugs. I keep meaning to get around to it.

I assume you are referring to the lack of oblivion gates in every home?

melon farmer posted:

I pretty much do 1-6,8, and 20-21 only (22 as well if you count sweetfx over enb), and my game works great with about ~100 or so mods. I don't have a ton of armor/weapon conflicts though which is probably where the bashed patches come in. Also the cleanup in step 8 only matters for textures, it won't affect the load order of your .esps.

You should still use a bashed/merged patch since anything that changes the vanilla stuff that uskp fixes will undo them unless it was made with uskp active in the ck. Also left side order in MO also effects scripts which is super important since uskp fucks up dragon souls if you have it in the wrong order.

:siren: Spellmaking in skyrim: The Last Altar was just released. I saw the idea for this ages ago and figured it was doomed but it sure looks like he's pulled it off. Looks impressive both technically and balance wise.

LtSmash fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 8, 2014

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Someone explain GateGate to me, it sounds hilarious.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

"We Must Dissent"

Entropic posted:

Someone explain GateGate to me, it sounds hilarious.

Second post in the awesome/awful mods thread. tldr is arthmoor is a giant entitled manchild and hates goons.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I assume patrols and fights in Immersive Patrols still take place even if you don't see them? I've been occasionally finding places where there are a whole shitload of dead guys from two opposing factions, and I can't tell if it's a bug or if there was a huge battle that went down that I missed. Either way it's pretty cool, it gives a good feeling of things actually happening that don't entirely revolve around the player. I rather like just strolling down the road and finding a dead Imperial soldier surrounded by half a dozen dead bandits.

However, sometimes I'll stumble upon a patrol that appears to have just keeled over and died for no reason, with no visible signs of battle, and I think it may be a bug. I suppose they might have encountered some particularly powerful enemy, or been ambushed before they could react, but it literally just looks like they were marching in a line and suddenly all died. I've encountered this two or three times now.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'm having this annoying bug. I can't seem to recharge my weapons. I have a couple of filled soul gems and a weapon that needs to be recharged. When I press the button to recharge the weapon, I'm given a list of soul gems to spend on it, but no matter what I press, the soul gem menu closes and nothing happens.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

LtSmash posted:

Second post in the awesome/awful mods thread. tldr is arthmoor is a giant entitled manchild and hates goons.
Thanks, that's hilarious. I guess the same thing happened on a smaller scale with Mirmulnjir? I haven't fought him since installing USKP, is there a youtube somewhere that shows how bad the voicework is?

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Is there a working Co-op mod out? I checked the op but might have missed it if it was listed.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

wjs5 posted:

Is there a working Co-op mod out? I checked the op but might have missed it if it was listed.

Probably not, it would take an insane amount of work to add multiplayer to a game that doesn't have it.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Entropic posted:

Probably not, it would take an insane amount of work to add multiplayer to a game that doesn't have it.

That didn't stop Just Cause 2 Multiplayer.

As far as I know there is just one multiplayer mod being worked on and it's being plagued by complete mismanagement of it's developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009

I was thinking of that when I asked. Oh well was worth asking about.

• Locked thread