Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NWDub
Feb 2, 2010
Need a new rear soon for my magna

I need the sportiest rear tire i can (brand new bridgestone battleax on the front)

140/90-16

I think it'll either be the Avon AV72 Cobra or the Dunlop GT501

Leaning toward the avon, 120hp on a flexy 80s cruiser chassis does not inspire confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dual street / track duty was my decision for this set of tires. Weee. I need a DD. What the hell happened to the days of $200 sets of Q2s or $180 sets of PP2CTs???

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 8, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

That would be about twice that amount in Australia, new.

e: I thought that was for 2 tyres for some reason, that seems about right where I am.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 8, 2014

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

BlackMK4 posted:

Dual street / track duty was my decision for this set of tires. Weee. I need a DD. What the hell happened to the days of $200 sets of Q2s or $180 sets of PP2CTs???

^^^ where did you order these from?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

infraboy posted:

^^^ where did you order these from?

Motomummy

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Shimrod posted:

That would be about twice that amount in Australia, new.

e: I thought that was for 2 tyres for some reason, that seems about right where I am.

It is two tires - a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear :)

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

It is two tires - a 120/70 front and a 180/55 rear :)

In that case, yeah, that's really cheap where I'm from. That kind of price on tires is what I'd expect for some either 2nd hand or cheap car tires. The rear tire I got for my 600 was $180 and it was a take-off. And that was cheap.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Since I need to replace my rear 180/55/17 on the sv asap, I called around and got a quote of $206 installed in 24 hours for a new pilot road 3. Seems like a tire many of you like and recommend, and the cycle gear guy described it as being pretty much perfect for the riding I do and my skill level. Need it for commuting with sport riding on the weekends.

Does this sound like a good price/tire for me?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Is your SV a 1k? 180 isn't the stock size on the vast majority of SVs out there.

The price is good, just a lot of people spoon on 180s on the SV because the fat rear tire looks mad sik bro. It also totally destroys the handling and grip at lean.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, previous owner had the cbr600 rear wheel on it, which looks good with the larger gsxr front wheel. It does seem less flickable than a thinner wheel would give, but isnt the CBR a similar size and weight to my bike? Also, I really don't know how it compares, as its the only bike I've ridden extensively. nor does my skill level involve leaning far, as I'm a scaredy pants that would rather get leaned out off the saddle than get the bike hella leaned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Coydog posted:

Well, previous owner had the cbr600 rear wheel on it, which looks good with the larger gsxr front wheel. It does seem less flickable than a thinner wheel would give, but isnt the CBR a similar size and weight to my bike? Also, I really don't know how it compares, as its the only bike I've ridden extensively. nor does my skill level involve leaning far, as I'm a scaredy pants that would rather get leaned out off the saddle than get the bike hella leaned.

Any pictures of the rear? It's the right size if it's a relatively modern CBR600 rear rim - if it was one of the older ones, it's still a 4.5 inch rim.

The most important thing is that the tire is appropriately sized to the rim, is all - you're probably fine, just wouldn't hurt to double check :)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

This is the best shot I have of the wheel handy. If you need a shot of something specific, please ask and I'll try to get it up asap. The tires on the bike were 180x55zr17m/c. 73w bt021r
Bridgestone.

I think the wheel comes off of an 06 CBR, according to Coredump.By all means, be concerned about sizing. I didn't even know any of these things are things to be worried about, so you can save me a lot of pain and frustration by being knowledgeably picky.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Coydog posted:

This is the best shot I have of the wheel handy. If you need a shot of something specific, please ask and I'll try to get it up asap. The tires on the bike were 180x55zr17m/c. 73w bt021r
Bridgestone.

I think the wheel comes off of an 06 CBR, according to Coredump.By all means, be concerned about sizing. I didn't even know any of these things are things to be worried about, so you can save me a lot of pain and frustration by being knowledgeably picky.

That's probably a 96 F3 wheel so 5" wide. You can run either a 160 or a 180.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

gently caress me dead that right there is a $700 set of tyres here.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
F3 wheel sounds familiar. Coredump thinks that is what it is. I'll have the cycle gear people double check before I get the tire. Assuming I CAN run a 160, do I want to? Will I see a major difference in how easy the bike is to corner? How about wear on the long term with commuting?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
You're at a point where it doesn't really matter skill and feel wise.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

F3 wheel sounds familiar. Coredump thinks that is what it is. I'll have the cycle gear people double check before I get the tire. Assuming I CAN run a 160, do I want to? Will I see a major difference in how easy the bike is to corner? How about wear on the long term with commuting?

I'd run a 160. 160 is what came stock, and the PR3s come in that size. The 160 will wear slightly better as the 180 will mushroom slightly, increasing the speed that you flatspot the tire during normal commuting.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 20, 2014

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
In that case, I'd much prefer to run 160. Is there somewhere on the wheel that says what size it is? I called up to cycle gear again, and they couldn't say if it would work well or not because obviously they don't know exactly what wheel I have. It strikes me that now I don't know what wheel I have. It LOOKS like an F3 CBR wheel, but the PO also said it was off 2006. If that last part is wrong, I'd love to really make sure before I buy a tire. Also, what's the point of having a wider wheel on it now if it's just going to run stock size? Other than that the original silver wheel looks bad.

Lastly, what height am I going for? If it is 180/55/17 now, do I want 160/55/17?

Coydog fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 20, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

In that case, I'd much prefer to run 160. Is there somewhere on the wheel that says what size it is? I called up to cycle gear again, and they couldn't say if it would work well or not because obviously they don't know exactly what wheel I have. It strikes me that now I don't know what wheel I have. It LOOKS like an F3 CBR wheel, but the PO also said it was off 2006. If that last part is wrong, I'd love to really make sure before I buy a tire. Also, what's the point of having a wider wheel on it now if it's just going to run stock size? Other than that the original silver wheel looks bad.

Lastly, what height am I going for? If it is 180/55/17 now, do I want 160/55/17?

Usually it'll be stamped somewhere, 17x5.0 in your case. Might not be.

Most people don't know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to stuff like that, that's definitely not an 06 rear wheel, considering the 06 rear wheel has 3 spokes. :v:

That's the older design, F3 era, as Blackmk4 said. You can quickly glance at any picture of an F3 and see the spoke design is the same, plus Zoran from TWF made a kit.

Usually it's a style thing, in the case of the F3 rear rim, the real reason was that some slicks came in 165 and were supposed to use a 5 inch rear - it was basically a mod that had race justifications only. The rest of the time, it's usually a cosmetic thing.

You'll want a 160/60 - that's the usual profile size for 160s.

Cycle gear won't know what they're mounting anyways, just tell them you want a 160 - it's the stock size for the SV, it's the right size for a 5 inch rim, it's no big deal. If they bitch about it, tell them it's a 95 F3 rear rim, and it took a 160 stock, they can look it up if they'd like.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yet again, you both swoop in with correct and confident information. Despite hearing lots of "NAW you can fit a lot more tire in that swing arm. Put the biggest thing you can fit!" from people, I trust you more. The only bad thing is it will take 4 days to get this size tire into cycle gear and onto the bike. So no riding this week or even this weekend. :( That's OK, I really want to feel what stock tire size rides like, and would always wonder if I settled on the 180. Plus the tire is $162 so I saved some money. :)

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What tire do you have on the front, how old (time/miles) is it and what kind of shape is it in? You may be able to get a deal doing both at once, less downtime, and sometimes mix/matching tires front/rear can make handling screwy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Coydog posted:

Yet again, you both swoop in with correct and confident information. Despite hearing lots of "NAW you can fit a lot more tire in that swing arm. Put the biggest thing you can fit!" from people, I trust you more. The only bad thing is it will take 4 days to get this size tire into cycle gear and onto the bike. So no riding this week or even this weekend. :( That's OK, I really want to feel what stock tire size rides like, and would always wonder if I settled on the 180. Plus the tire is $162 so I saved some money. :)

It's going to handle a little easier, which might take some time to adjust to...people like the 180 because it makes the bike respond slower, which means stiffarming the bars has less of an effect.

Snowdens Secret also has a good point about replacing the front...if it's old/flatspotted/worn out, may as well replace it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You make a good point. As much as my wallet loathes me right now, for safety's sake maybe I should swap the front. It was matched with the back before, and is a 3yr old batlax 120/70/17. What say you? I'm not even beginning to get really leaned over or pushing the limits, but I do plan on keeping the bike another year and not switching platform right away. Front tire looks great through. plenty of tread, no flatting. Tire install place recommended leaving it and saving money and just not cornering like a madman, but holding back isn't my strong suit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tires are cheap insurance. I'd probably pair it to another PR3 front if you're planning on keeping the bike for a year plus. If you decide to sell it then, they'll probably still be in decent shape. Peace of mind is worth quite a bit.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Apparently there is such a thing as Pilot Roads 4s. Anyone ever seen em, run em? Thoughts? How do they compare to the PR3s? What the gently caress are Pilot Road GTs?

edit: loving Pilot Roads.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 22, 2014

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
We actually got a pair of PR4's in last week. They look very similar to the PR3, but a little more expensive.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Ah yeah, found a video on you-tube about them. They seem to be a step forward . Slightly newer, slightly better. Slightly more expensive. GTs are the heavy bike version. NEAT!!!!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Girlfriend's Ninja 250 needs a front tire since it isn't holding air and it came with the bike and I don't wanna risk anything. Anybody know a good replacement? What are the best tools for changing a tire? Can I set the bead at a gas station?

NWDub
Feb 2, 2010

Xovaan posted:

Girlfriend's Ninja 250 needs a front tire since it isn't holding air and it came with the bike and I don't wanna risk anything. Anybody know a good replacement? What are the best tools for changing a tire? Can I set the bead at a gas station?

Pirelli sport demons in 100/90-16

or bridgestone BT-45 in 100/90-16

Stickiest front tire you can get, it'll still last 15k+

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Xovaan posted:

If you really want to sure. Might get some funny looks when the bead pops both times. Bring some soapy water to lube it up. You'll need at least two or three tire irons. If you don't want to risk damaging the rim, get some protectors for it. Unless you want to reuse them, get two extra rubber valve stems to replace the old ones. Just cut the old ones off with a razor, lube the new one up with aforementioned soapy water and shove it in with a phillips.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008
Anyone have experience with the Bridgestone BT-003RS (Road Sport)? It's one of the few tires that comes in 150 width for my supermoto.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I have some friends who like them. If you want "real" sumo tires for hooning and poo poo, go with the contiforce SMs. Also available are the occasional pirelli supercorsa takeoff in 150, more road oriented tires like the Pilot Road 3, etc.

You can also pinch a 160 on there and it'll fit, if you're running a 4.25 inch DRZ400SM rim, but you'll lose some absolute grip at lean and will probably wear the tire out just a touch faster.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bazacko posted:

Anyone have experience with the Bridgestone BT-003RS (Road Sport)? It's one of the few tires that comes in 150 width for my supermoto.

If you can find the new ContiAttack SM tyre, it's really something. It has a continuous multi compound and I really like it on my SMC.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
A few choiche quotes about the ContiAttack SM from esteemed posters.

Zool posted:

[...] the ContiAttack SM if you want an all out grippy summer tire.

ReelBigLizard posted:

In short, the ContiAttack SM is the tyre Jesus would use, if Jesus rode a supermoto, which he obviously would.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just ordered a Goldspeed full wet to replace the now discontinued Avon PXR wet on the front of the KTM; I run a ContiAttack on the back and a rain tyre on the front in what is known here in the UK as the "British Summer" configuration.

Had a nice chat with the guy from AAA, apparently the PXR was just a pretty blatant clone of the Goldspeed. The tread pattern is certainly very similar. They have good prices and if the tyre arrives in good time I can see myself ordering from these guys more in the future. It's going to be hard deciding whether to get another ContiAttack or try out their street sport, at £65 a tyre they're a drat sight cheaper.

Bazacko
Nov 23, 2008

Z3n posted:

I have some friends who like them. If you want "real" sumo tires for hooning and poo poo, go with the contiforce SMs. Also available are the occasional pirelli supercorsa takeoff in 150, more road oriented tires like the Pilot Road 3, etc.

You can also pinch a 160 on there and it'll fit, if you're running a 4.25 inch DRZ400SM rim, but you'll lose some absolute grip at lean and will probably wear the tire out just a touch faster.

ReelBigLizard posted:

If you can find the new ContiAttack SM tyre, it's really something. It has a continuous multi compound and I really like it on my SMC.

Thanks! If I were one of you rich bastards with an orange bike I would have gone with the Contis for sure. But I'm just trying to stop the chain rubbing on my WR426 - using a 160 size results in the swingarm, tire, and chain getting into a 3-way fight.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If you're running it with a tube, most sumos I see have nice chainwear on the side of the tire. Not really a big deal.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I am wanting to pick up some sumo rims/tires for my WR250R and I saw that there is a 4.25" and 5" choice for the rear rim from Warp 9.

Could someone enlighten me as to what each size is meant/used for?

kloa fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Feb 1, 2014

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Anyone going to take the plunge and be the first the try the road pilot 4s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm hoping to get some PR4s for next season. They look neat.

• Locked thread