Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Neat, though another reminder that magic in this setting is freaking dangerous.

If your magic isn't insane, semi-sentient and/or crazy dangerous then you suck at fantasy world building!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, when magic is literally tricking the universe into thinking that one object has the properties of another, your own properties are liable to be at risk :shrug:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hmm save my son, eat this delicious lunch. Choices, choices.

Well, I can't save anyone on an empty stomach, now can I?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I like how Mathias doesn't even question why his son is black now. "Eh, probably just a phase."

Yes I know that wrights can probably notice the glamour but this is funnier

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Winalils? Who? Seems like I should just wait for the chapter to finish and read it in one go, because I've already forgotten what was going on

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011
Lord Winalils is the weirdo wright who gives Sette the pymaric that allows her to control Duane when he's asleep. It's implied he has something to do with Stockyard and whatever the real reason is to send Sette to Cresce.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Also the guy in charge of the Ssaelit temple was stated to know him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Well, nice to see Rahm confirmed as mean but not evil. Not hugely surprising, but nice.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
He's also the dude who created the spell to keep Elan alive (that's the subverted Crescian guard that helps Sette get across the border). His first name is Bastion. Despite being in the comic for like four pages, he's clearly one of the big movers behind events.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Happy Yeti posted:

Lord Winalils is the weirdo wright who gives Sette the pymaric that allows her to control Duane when he's asleep. It's implied he has something to do with Stockyard and whatever the real reason is to send Sette to Cresce.

He's also probably one and the same with this "Delicieu" that keeps getting mentioned. Rahm's description of Delicieu makes it sound like it's someone's pen name and they're definitely tighter than spooky ghost kid is letting on (Delicieu's research is described as being obsessed with pain; when Winalils gave Sette the zombie-control amulet, she said that it "smells like pain" or something similar.)

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I'd argue with him being Delicieu because he was shown to be the black-tongue doctor working with the plague victims in Falchyne - he was the one who rescued Cara, the little girl who got killed in chapter 2. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment.

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch02/ch02_06.html

She's also referencing things he said when Duane finds her here:
http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch02/ch02_57.html

Which is where she remembers him saying that death was the gods' crime and that nobody should have to die, and that Cara had to live.

Just strikes me as the guy who's rescuing kids and trying to cure a magical super-plague is probably not the same dude who's doing horrible pain experiments. That said, I have no doubt Winalils's hands are dirty, just in other ways - he shows up in the background of Duane's life during the flashback and he clearly knows enough about what Duane is to know how to control him during the day. He's the one who tells Sette Duane isn't a man but a tool.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011
Also, I'm fairly certain he's the silhouette in the last panel here:

http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/comic/ch07/ch07_108.html

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
And here's Jivi to summarize an aspect of Crescian governance. Also, nice propaganda poster.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just noticed Sette in the background of panel two. Actually, she's closer to the center than Jivi and Matty. Wow, how did I miss that.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Dang it Jivi, go into it about how your mom being dead or not being dead is complicated, inquiring minds want to know!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Cresce! Attacking children under suspicion of Aldish sympathies! :thumbsup:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sharteshanians in the last strip, now this. For being so all-inclusive, Crescians are pretty loving racist.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!
Well these guards are also in Stockyard's pocket, remember.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From a disagreement over who handles this to attempting literal backstabbing, well then. Turns out the racists are not good people. Who knew.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 8, 2014

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

From a disagreement over who handles this to attempting literal backstabbing, well then. Turns out the racists are not good people. Who knew.

Yes I agree literally everyone in Unsounded except Matty is a bad person.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Roland Jones posted:

I suppose it makes sense. I'm guessing the sort of corruption these guards are guilty of is a death sentence in Cresce.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Countdown until Matty flips out and murders a room full of orphans.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

You misspelled Jivi.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
You're all misspelling Duane.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Duane is a murdering hypocrite who is at least trying to improve himself, despite a spectacularly bad upbringing.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Aw shucks, here I thought they were the good kind of cops that are on the payroll of a villainous crimelord who is literally destroying the city.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

Gabriel Pope posted:

Aw shucks, here I thought they were the good kind of cops that are on the payroll of a villainous crimelord who is literally destroying the city.

I know, right! What a shocker!!

Seriously have people forgotten we already learned these are very crooked cops?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

I dunno, Toma and some other guys seem pretty cool.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

You misspelled Jivi.

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Jackard posted:

I dunno, Toma and some other guys seem pretty cool.

Nope, all racists, Matty's the only nonracist in Unsounded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nope, all racists, Matty's the only nonracist in Unsounded.

Matty makes Uatu eat people for conflict resolution. Also bad.

EDIT: vvv I was reading the funny panels thread, got Uatu in my head. Still, he condones that. :colbert:

Dias fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jan 9, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dias posted:

Uaid, and it wasn't Matty's fault! Uaid just thinks he can solve every problem by eating it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

Uaid just thinks he can solve every problem by eating it.

In fairness, he hasn't really been wrong on that count so far.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dias posted:

The whole point of this was a response to "oh hey the racists are bad people surprise surprise" when basically everyone in unsounded is racist. I do not actually think matty is the only good person in unsounded.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Duane isn't really a racist. He'd be fine with any black people living in Alderode, especially if they were Ssaelit. So, in other words, renounce your culture and religion and you'll have no problems with him!

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
How exactly does Toma know Matty? I must have missed it somewhere

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dyllyn posted:

How exactly does Toma know Matty? I must have missed it somewhere

Mostly here, and here.

They were never introduced, but he heard Matty's name several times.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

The whole point of this was a response to "oh hey the racists are bad people surprise surprise" when basically everyone in unsounded is racist. I do not actually think matty is the only good person in unsounded.

I was being facetious, dude. Unsounded is good at making most people different shades of grey (or in some cases, different shades of disgusting tar-black). Matty's cool tho. Uaid too. Uaid might be the least racist character, to be fair, he eats people of all races equally.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dias posted:

I was being facetious, dude. Unsounded is good at making most people different shades of grey (or in some cases, different shades of disgusting tar-black). Matty's cool tho. Uaid too. Uaid might be the least racist character, to be fair, he eats people of all races equally.

Uaid's actually anti-Semitic. Spoilers.

anathenema
Apr 8, 2009
Is Elka a b-hole, as well? Because I'm really starting to enjoy her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

anathenema posted:

Is Elka a b-hole, as well? Because I'm really starting to enjoy her.
Called a foe 'hamsteak.' Clearly a militant vegetarian, therefore an rear end in a top hat.
An awesome rear end in a top hat.