Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emasculatrix
Nov 30, 2004

Tell Me You Love Me.

Benny the Snake posted:

Sandwich place. Tomorrow I'm going to the Employment Resource Office and filling out a packet. Thursday I'm going back to Cal Poly for career and academic counseling.

Career counseling and academic advising are different things, by different employees, in different offices. Make sure you go to the Career Center. Your academic advisor isn't the person you should be talking to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

laplace posted:

He won't post pictures of comics, because he doesn't have any.

I bet you tell kids Santa isn't real, too.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Dex posted:

I bet you tell kids Santa isn't real, too.

Hey man, I'm just saying either way we get a really delusional guy on the internet spending an absurd amount of effort on what could possibly be the most ridiculous story of failure in a long, long time. This is Truman Show levels absurd.

It's also wonderful. I mean, other people have also posted about how the information in this thread has helped them as well so if there's anything to get out of this it's that it's helping someone even if that someone isn't Benny.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

laplace posted:

Also, his diction and syntax changes entirely post page 67. It was really jarring. I'm a Japanese major, not an English major, but I have studied linguistics and English enough to recognize when someone loses grasp of voice.
Well, if it matters, I studied math and the "voice" change really threw me, too. But it changed back IMO. So maybe it has to do with Benny's mindset.

laplace posted:

Also, he obviously has had tons of times where his story hasn't added up. First he worked for a day at the restaurant, but then it was a week. Months at the campaign, then just barely 6 weeks.
I wondered about this, too. Even the resume dude couldn't figure it out. Anyway, that didn't read to me like lying, but more like a person who is so not busy that a very small amount of work seems to be a huge deal in his mind.

Also, he seems to tell us that he is working both a landscaping job and the Target job, on a day which turns out to the day after he got fired at Target. Easily explainable, but still, a dumb and annoying thing if you look at only his posts.

Benny, I am still rooting for you,too, for some reason. You're doing something right (I guess?).

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Emasculatrix posted:

Career counseling and academic advising are different things, by different employees, in different offices. Make sure you go to the Career Center. Your academic advisor isn't the person you should be talking to.

It depends. If Benny is going to talk to a member of the English department who does academic advising, he may get a better picture of what graduate school is and what you can get out of it, and how the post grad job market really looks. He might even be able to do some networking.

Career services can smooth out your resume, give you job hunting tips and maybe do some mock interviews, but may not know as much about how your field works or where to go with your degree.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

Darth123123 posted:

FYI benny really doesn't want to go to grad school.

Oh, I know, I'm just trying to get him to say it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

This is probably the most convulated series of events I have ever taken time to read about. I find it highly unlikely anyone could be this dense and somehow have survived childhood, with all the hazards in a modern home.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
If Benny ever makes a megapost on the lines of "This is all an elaborate hoax. Here is the real me and here is a real writing sample, with pictures and proof." I think the entire SA community would erupt in applause, then break out into rifftrax a-la MST3K.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

I traveled with a guy I was dating once and was flipping through his passport. Oh, you spent 3 months in America? What'd you do! Where'd you go! He couldn't tell me a single detail about it. East coast? West coast? "I don't know, my memory doesn't really follow a linear time line." ...it was earlier that year. Maybe he was lying and was there for fat camp or something he didn't want to admit to, but it was kind of a deal breaker that he could lose track of 3 months of his life.

My point is that some people are retarded.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
There's no way that lovely story he wrote was false.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Switchback posted:

"I don't know, my memory doesn't really follow a linear time line."

Anyone who says something like that is full of poo poo and lying out of their arse. What is he, a loving Timelord?

My point is he clearly remembers, he just doesn't want to say. I don't blame you for dumping him though, god drat.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't blame people for thinking Benny is fake. I genuinely can't comprehend what sort of person would keep returning to a thread that shits on them constantly for almost a year (Anniversary's coming up, folks!).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
BFC poo poo on Tuyop for like 2 years and now he's paid down his 60k in debt and seems to have genuinely changed for the better. Goon therapy is the best therapy.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

cname posted:

If Benny ever makes a megapost on the lines of "This is all an elaborate hoax. Here is the real me and here is a real writing sample, with pictures and proof." I think the entire SA community would erupt in applause, then break out into rifftrax a-la MST3K.

Honestly that would be the happiest possible ending that could come out this, at this point.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Jeffrey posted:

BFC poo poo on Tuyop for like 2 years and now he's paid down his 60k in debt and seems to have genuinely changed for the better. Goon therapy is the best therapy.

No kidding?? I stopped following that thread because Tuyop's ups and downs were too much for me. Good for him, I love a good goon success story.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Events might be getting jumbled up in Benny's mind because there are probably huge stretches of time, just days and days, where he doesn't actually do anything. I didn't notice a voice change, but maybe he was trying to be a better writer?

I don't see what's so unbelievable about all this. People like Benny exist all over the place, this thread just gives us an inside view to the nothing that they do all day. It's sad that he doesn't seem to want to keep updating this thread. My favorite part was when he was listing out everything he did over the course of a day.

Also,

natetimm posted:

There's no way that lovely story he wrote was false.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

laplace posted:

Also, his diction and syntax changes entirely post page 67. It was really jarring. I'm a Japanese major, not an English major, but I have studied linguistics and English enough to recognize when someone loses grasp of voice.

Isn't that around the time he started taking meds, though? That might explain it.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Aqua Bear posted:

My favorite part was when he was listing out everything he did over the course of a day.

Say what you will about his decision-making capabilities, but at least he managed to learn something (even if it was "you're horrible at justifying the nothing that you do on a day-to-day basis so stop trying to").

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I went through a pretty dismal patch several years ago (I basically lived an E/N thread, just without the benefit of goons giving me conflicting occasionally-horrible advice), and while I was never quite in as bad a way as Benny (and I didn't have the mental issues he does, which is a huge difference obviously), let's just say I could see there from here. It took some effort and risks on my part, as well as some help from some good friends, to see me clear of it.

So (a) I can totally believe that Benny's real, and (b) I'm not inclined to give up on the guy.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Even my cold goon heart hopes that Benny turns it around eventually. Benny makes me want to go back in time an punch 14 year old me in the face.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
Just to clarify it's not that I think Benny is 100% fake, or lying, or anything like that. Just that the people who thought he was fake have some legitimate reason to, and above all else if he was fake it'd still be interesting because all of the crazy hoops he tried to go through to construct the story. I don't really believe one way more than the other because both are entirely possible and both really hilarious.

It's just that there's a lot of poo poo in here that is real fishy. Real catfish-y. Before we know it another goon from his area is going to offer to meet him and Benny will really be a spergy nerd with fifteen alts.

As I said before I'm rooting for Benny because either way it's the most enthralling thread here right now.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
How did the interview go Benny? Are you now a gainfully employed sandwich artist?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

docbeard posted:

I went through a pretty dismal patch several years ago (I basically lived an E/N thread, just without the benefit of goons giving me conflicting occasionally-horrible advice), and while I was never quite in as bad a way as Benny (and I didn't have the mental issues he does, which is a huge difference obviously), let's just say I could see there from here. It took some effort and risks on my part, as well as some help from some good friends, to see me clear of it.

So (a) I can totally believe that Benny's real, and (b) I'm not inclined to give up on the guy.
That's for the support.

Anyway, I didn't get the job. The manager said I should get a call back the same day if I got the job and I never got it. I just registered with the unemployment agency today and I'm scheduled for an orientation next week.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

That's for the support.

Anyway, I didn't get the job. The manager said I should get a call back the same day if I got the job and I never got it. I just registered with the unemployment agency today and I'm scheduled for an orientation next week.

Nice! Treat the whole unemployment office/placement service thing like its a job and interview at the same time. Do everything you can to impress those people. You might not realize it, but positivity in the fact that your about to get started on a job search regimen outweighs the negativity of not getting that one job. It would benefit you to call them tomorrow just to give one last poke and see if they're willing to hire you and if they're not, let you know if they hear of anything/thanks for the opportunity, etc.

Regardless, gently caress poo poo up at the unemployment office. Dress for success and be professional. Take whatever they have to offer. Don't be discouraged if things don't really happen for a while. They aren't gonna offer up interviews left and right. You gotta push for it.

Now is your chance to turn things around. Do whatever you can, prepare questions, etc. Go beyond the bare minimum and they'll work harder to get you leads and enroll you in workshops.

I'm rooting you, Benny. I'm gonna have to mock your situation every now and then, because it has been hilarious and it's a comedy forum, but I do want you to succeed.

Lord knows, I'm dying for a happy ending to this amazing thread.

cname fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 9, 2014

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Good luck with the unemployment deal, Benny. It would be nice for you to be employed and going forward when this thread turns a year old.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
How did you go with the unemployment services Benny?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Maybe his mother banned him from using the Internet in her house after she found this thread while going over his browsing history?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Nah, probably just another round of "I failed at doing anything at all, but maybe if I don't say anything in the thread it'll get archived faster".

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Lolie posted:

How did you go with the unemployment services Benny?
I showed up on time for the orientation. Next step is to fill out a form online and we can go from there. I spoke to a career counselor who took my resume and application. I'm going to attend an interview workshop next week.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

I was going to comment on why the next step is "fill out a form online", as opposed to "I filled out the form as soon as I got back from orientation and now I need to ...", but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume you posted as soon as you got back from orientation, because the alternative is to believe you've spent one or more days not filling out an online form.

Chobdab
Aug 16, 2003

You don't know me James, you never did. I am not seeking forgiveness.
I wouldn't call filling out a form a step but that's better than nothing. Do it now! What's after the form?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Ursine Asylum posted:

I was going to comment on why the next step is "fill out a form online", as opposed to "I filled out the form as soon as I got back from orientation and now I need to ...", but I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume you posted as soon as you got back from orientation, because the alternative is to believe you've spent one or more days not filling out an online form.

Sometimes I kinda feel bad for Benny/other E/N posters with these kinds of problems because I do pretty much everything the OP always gets chastised for in these threads. For example I procrastinate on everything and will frequently do nothing productive until the last minute even when a lot of things need to be done, something like an online form usually won't end up being submitted until right before I need it done.

I think in reality most people aren't as on the ball as they instruct other people to be and the only difference is whether or not they're in a position to be criticized over that kind of thing.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ArbitraryC posted:

Sometimes I kinda feel bad for Benny/other E/N posters with these kinds of problems because I do pretty much everything the OP always gets chastised for in these threads. For example I procrastinate on everything and will frequently do nothing productive until the last minute even when a lot of things need to be done, something like an online form usually won't end up being submitted until right before I need it done.

I think in reality most people aren't as on the ball as they instruct other people to be and the only difference is whether or not they're in a position to be criticized over that kind of thing.

It's not that everyone reading him the riot act is on the ball all the time, but they've at least managed to scrape a few instances together in sequence to get things going and remain functioning. I mean, look at what he's doing now - an interview workshop. He's already been past the interview hurdle and gotten hired somewhere and blew it more than once. He wanted to pay someone to write his resume while he was already getting interviews. His writing is poo poo and his grades aren't competitive, yet he wants to be an author and go to grad school. There's just this distinct lack of motivation to do meaningful things that accompanies his entire thought process. His aspirations for employment and grad school are so out of whack with what he can actually accomplish it's ridiculous. He can't even push carts or cook food properly, yet he's applying for all of these jobs that will require a much higher level of functioning to get done. He has essentially abandoned retail and food service where he could not cut it in favor of a much more competitive and demanding field. You don't fail up.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

I showed up on time for the orientation. Next step is to fill out a form online and we can go from there. I spoke to a career counselor who took my resume and application. I'm going to attend an interview workshop next week.

Thank God you finally went to the unemployment office. I hope it works out for you.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

ArbitraryC posted:

The bolded is really a huge factor, though. Everyone procrastinates to some extent, but people like Benny aren't fit to evaluate the importance of the task at hand.

I'm sure you wouldn't procrastinate as much for something super important, as opposed to something relatively important, but still fairly trivial.

When I was unemployed, I put off everything and gave zero fucks for a while. Once I decided "enough is enough" I cut the poo poo, got on the stick and did what I needed to do, when it needed to be done. I'd say I possessed the habits of a lazy, good for nothing loser for 4 months, then got my poo poo in line. And yea, I was pretty loving depressed at the time. I get that "bootstraps" isn't always the answer, but at what point does something have to give and "loving GO!" is all that's left? (Again, not Benny's case. There have been times he has put fourth the effort required and failed due to poor decision making)

Benny is approaching a year. It really makes me wonder how he would have approached this entire situation if food, shelter, internet, etc. was on the line.

cname fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

ArbitraryC posted:

Oh, I'm not going to say I don't procrastinate on things. I have a set of shelves for my desk that I haven't put together since Thanksgiving because I don't want to have to move my bigass desk away from the wall to do it, I leave my car registration until like 2 weeks to the due date to fill in, and I'm sure I'd have late fees all over the goddamn place for bills if I didn't have auto-billing set up for literally everything. But, as noted above: whether or not they're in a position to be criticized over that kind of thing is a key term. Because despite my (and most people's) procrastination, laziness, and lack of desire to do adult things like "pay bills", "go to the DMV", and "submit resumes", we still manage to get off our rear end and take care of them. I can afford to be moderately lazy about (some) things because the things I am lazy about are not directly and immediately responsible for making sure I can keep a roof over my head and food on my table. If I was unemployed and one of the steps between me and financial independence was "fill out a form online", as opposed to "you'll get pulled over if you have an expired car sticker, but you still have 3 months before you have to get it", I don't think I'd be nearly so cavalier about it.

e: missed a word

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 15, 2014

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Ursine Asylum posted:

the things I am lazy about are not directly and immediately responsible for making sure I can keep a roof over my head and food on my table. If I was unemployed and one of the steps between me and financial independence was "fill out a form online", as opposed to "you'll get pulled over if you have an expired car sticker, but you still have 3 months before you have to get it", I don't I'd be nearly so cavalier about it.

This is his problem. He isn't fit to determine what "things" he can and can't be lazy about. Eating a well balanced breakfast is on the same priority scale as financial independence. Rationale being "Breakfast happens in the morning, after I shower, so that's why I did it first. In a Norman Rockwell world, you're supposed to go to work once you're done with breakfast! Just ignore the fact that it's 2014, I woke up at 10 and don't have a job."

cname fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 15, 2014

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

natetimm posted:

His writing is poo poo and his grades aren't competitive, yet he wants to be an author and go to grad school. There's just this distinct lack of motivation to do meaningful things that accompanies his entire thought process. His aspirations for employment and grad school are so out of whack with what he can actually accomplish it's ridiculous. He can't even push carts or cook food properly, yet he's applying for all of these jobs that will require a much higher level of functioning to get done.

He doesn't just want to go to grad school, he wants to BE a professor.

Can't cook a zucchini with simple, explicit instructions, but wants to be responsible for the education of hundreds of students.

The extent to which Benn is out of touch with reality is pretty astounding.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Chobdab posted:

I wouldn't call filling out a form a step but that's better than nothing. Do it now! What's after the form?
Wasn't so much a form as it was filing out a profile and resume online. Just finished it. Before I can see an adviser, I have to attend at least two workshops and apply to 20 jobs every two weeks. Next week I'm going to attend an interviews workshop and an introduction workshop. For now, I'm going to focus on meeting the 20 jobs quota.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Benny can you please go back to writing out all of your activities for the day like you used to? Do you think you have improved at all?

It's not only really entertaining, but motivating. When I started teaching I had to become a list guy because I had so much poo poo to do daily that I was getting overwhelmed. Now I have to make a list every drat day and I don't go home until everything is crossed off. Feels good.

• Locked thread