Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

WeAreTheRomans posted:

FWIW Masterchef is a hundred times better than that pile of cock.

Australian masterchef is better. Even though it is full of Australians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
And is presumably based entirely on how skillfully they can throw another shrimp on the barbie.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I gathered that, which is why I then replied with a post informing you.

I know but I don't watch Masterchef regardless of how much better or worse it is than Channel 4's 'The Taste'.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I think its time we address the elephant in the room

Why dont you watch Masterchef Pissflaps? Did you have a torrid sexual encounter with Gregg "count the g's" Wallace

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...
Danny Dyer chat?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRo0PjzfZw

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
I enjoy Masterchef when it's on and will watch it if I'm making or eating dinner but I would not sit down specifically to watch it. I stand with Pissflaps.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

FWIW Masterchef is a hundred times better than that pile of cock.

This seems awfully presumptuous considering there has only been one televised episode of The Taste and Masterchef doesn't have Nigella Lawson being saucy.

not not luvd fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jan 8, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taff posted:

I think its time we address the elephant in the room

Why dont you watch Masterchef Pissflaps? Did you have a torrid sexual encounter with Gregg "count the g's" Wallace

I'm glad you asked.

I think it's largely because of the time it's on the telly. Or maybe the time it was on the telly, i'm not sure what time it is on now as I don't watch it. It always seemed to be straight after work in the slot where you get that coach trip programme or deal or no deal and as such it became synonymous in my mind - and my wife's - with low quality telly time. The telly you don't really watch, but that goes on in the background as you make a cup of tea and empty the dishwasher.

And it seems to go on forevever. Literally forever. A Sisyphian parade of cookery that is just energy sapping. It's left me with no interest in it or its garbage spinoffs.

It just does nothing to inspire. I'd rather wait for The Great British Bakeoff.

gently caress Masterchef. gently caress it to hell.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Bozza posted:

I've not watched The Bridge, but I did watch and enjoy The Tunnel - Stephen Dillane and Clemence Posey were both brilliant. If nothing else, it made me want to try and learn French for some reason.

Does anyone know if you can jump from one to the other (I'm guessing the remade it basically like for like)?

I would have thought so. As long as The Tunnel ended with the male detective's son being killed in the baddie's plot, you should be able to watch it as a continuation. There's a recap of the ending, anyway.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Coach trip was brilliant though! (is it ever coming back on?)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Eboracum posted:

This seems awfully presumptuous considering there has only been one televised episode of The Taste and Masterchef doesn't have Nigella Lawson being saucy.

Nigella is about 8 years past prime sauciness, but realtalk I would definitely still cry with joy if a sextape was ever released.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Australian masterchef is better. Even though it is full of Australians.

Yeah Masterchef Australia really IS better, mostly because they don't go in for the standard UK reality TV tension-building, forced jeopardy, "cooking doesn't get harder than this" poo poo. Yeah they have challenges and cook-offs, but there's so much cameraderie and goodwill between the contestants, and the hosts as well. Going back to watch UK Masterchef is eyeopening after that, you find yourself thinking blimey, you're cooking not trying to defuse a nuclear warhead strapped to a box of kittens. The only thing bad about the Aussie version is they quite often cook with these massive crayfish looking things that apparently taste brilliant but look like someone blew up a giant pink earwig.

Masterchef the Professionals is worth watching for Monica Galletti's "WTF" looks off camera alone and Michel Roux at least looks like he knows his stuff and isn't too pretentious about it. He can also smile from time to time.

Masterchef UK is so different to the Lloyd Grossman era you can't really compare. For its problems, it's watchable if there's nothing else on. But at least it's better than the godawful Gary Rhodes era (featuring Gary Rhodes) which was all about him inserting his opinion into everyone elses dishes at every opportunity and generally being smug and oleagenous and bigheaded the whole loving time.

Masterchef Ireland is... loving bizarre. The two hosts they've got to be the equivalent of John and Greg are the worst TV presenters I've seen in a long while, they're complete personality vortexes who quite often give each other looks as if to say "er... are we filming? Like, now?" And they NEVER SMILE. No joy or enjoyment of cooking whatsoever in that show.

So yeah, we watch a lot of cookery TV in our house. Masterchef Australia is the best of the bunch.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife and I used to love 'the biggest loser' but that seems to have gone forever.

I'll never forget The New Ger and his signature move.

edit:

lol i found it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9lR73l74GY

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 8, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Speaking of The Taste what's everyones opinion on Lawson following the court case?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
She married a poo poo and probably has/had a drug problem but who cares.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PriorMarcus posted:

Speaking of The Taste what's everyones opinion on Lawson following the court case?

Pretty much the same as before: who cares. Posh totty, possibly a terrible person, little cocaine never hurt anyone. Saatchi is definitely a loving prick though.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Is Masterchef Australia the one with the absolutely gigantic and terrifying judge who looks like he runs some sort of fabulous cooking mafia? Guy scares the hell out of me.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

PriorMarcus posted:

Basically the same as before, feel a bit bad for her though now

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Is Masterchef Australia the one with the absolutely gigantic and terrifying judge who looks like he runs some sort of fabulous cooking mafia? Guy scares the hell out of me.

With the cravatte? Yeah. But he's a sweetheart really.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Is The Taste just that NBC show they had last year in America or have they re-done anything? Because it was pretty poo poo.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

The one who done this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VT1EYSb9AXQ

He's fuckin' great.

Bozza posted:

I've not watched The Bridge, but I did watch and enjoy The Tunnel - Stephen Dillane and Clemence Posey were both brilliant. If nothing else, it made me want to try and learn French for some reason.

Does anyone know if you can jump from one to the other (I'm guessing the remade it basically like for like)?

The Tunnel was adapted off the Bridge's first series so I guess you could just jump in to series 2 of the Bridge, but I've still not watched all of the Tunnel yet so I don't know quite how different it is from the original.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jan 8, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Masterchef australia 2013 was dreadful. Full of annoying contestants. Heston was on it but apart from the heston episodes it was gash. The UK pro version was good though. Watching The Taste right now and it's bizarre. Not really in a good way.

Re The Tunnel, the original Danish / Swedish one is on Netflix, I'm watching that before the second season on BBC four.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

PriorMarcus posted:

Not really changed. She married a oval office, he's tried to ruin her, a lot of people take cocaine and I still would.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Eboracum posted:

Not really changed. She married a oval office, he's tried to ruin her, a lot of people take cocaine and I still would.

She's old enough to be your granny.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

PriorMarcus posted:

Mr. Squishy posted:

She married a poo poo and probably has/had a drug problem but who cares.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Pissflaps posted:

I'm glad you asked.

I think it's largely because of the time it's on the telly. Or maybe the time it was on the telly, i'm not sure what time it is on now as I don't watch it. It always seemed to be straight after work in the slot where you get that coach trip programme or deal or no deal and as such it became synonymous in my mind - and my wife's - with low quality telly time. The telly you don't really watch, but that goes on in the background as you make a cup of tea and empty the dishwasher.

And it seems to go on forevever. Literally forever. A Sisyphian parade of cookery that is just energy sapping. It's left me with no interest in it or its garbage spinoffs.

It just does nothing to inspire. I'd rather wait for The Great British Bakeoff.

gently caress Masterchef. gently caress it to hell.

With your new sky+ HD box which was delivered and installed recently you can record the show and watch it at any time you wish

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taff posted:

With your new sky+ HD box which was delivered and installed recently you can record the show and watch it at any time you wish

I'm sorry I'm just not interested.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Pissflaps posted:

I'm sorry I'm just not interested.

HAHAHA! I've no idea why this thread suddenly became a load of people pushing a loving cookery show on you.

Don't give in to peer pressure Pissflaps, stay strong!

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I don't know how any of you guys watch cooking shows, for me any cooking or food show even Man vs Food makes me hungry as gently caress. I just see 5 minutes and walk off looking for food.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I get the same. That's why I usually eat while watching them. :v:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I just find them immensely boring. Although, not nearly as boring as the discussion of them.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Whats that? Did someone ask for my top 5 favourite food shows?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Taff posted:

Whats that? Did someone ask for my top 5 favourite food shows?

1. Bakeoff
2. Supersizers

I think that's about it I cant think of any more that id consider worth mentioning theyre all much of a muchness.

If anyone would like to hear my conspiracy theory about Food and Drink's 90s presenter Chris Kelly then please, just ask.

edit: i've also got one about dale winton

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 8, 2014

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Food and Drink was really, really loving awful. God it was bad.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Rick Stein always does a good cookery show, they're windows into other cultures flaps you should be more worldly and open-minded. Does a cracking fish and chips as well.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Heston's shows are better than most because of the unusual stuff he does on them

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Scott Bakula posted:

Heston's shows are better than most because of the unusual stuff he does on them

When he's showing you how he made a watch that turns into soup he's amazing, when he's just trying to make the worlds biggest juice box or whatever it is he does on those celebrity filled ones then it's a bit poo poo.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Theres a lot of decent American ones too like Chopped and Iron Chef.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

I think there should be a show were the recipes are simplified for cheapskates and lazy people.

I think Jamie Oliver could pull it off.

"Tin of beans, microwave the pie for 3 minutes. Bam. Pie and beans"

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches

Total Meatlove posted:

When he's showing you how he made a watch that turns into soup he's amazing, when he's just trying to make the worlds biggest juice box or whatever it is he does on those celebrity filled ones then it's a bit poo poo.

Ive eaten that watch that turns into soup and the theatre of it all is more exciting than the food in this goons opinion.

I'd go there again in a heartbeat tho if I had the £700.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Haggis Heed posted:

I think there should be a show were the recipes are simplified for cheapskates and lazy people.

you should look on a girl called jacks blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Haggis Heed posted:

This is literally what Worral Thompson does the man is a fraud. And a thief with a crumpled face and mr punch voice.