Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We pay a 10% markup on all toner and in exchange we get "free" service and support. Any time a printer has an issue, I open a ticket with them and they come out and either replace the printer at no charge or fix it. It owns. I probably call them out once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah most any client who has ever asked me about printers for the office I just tell them to lease it. It solves so much wasted time effort and energy.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

We pay a 10% markup on all toner and in exchange we get "free" service and support. Any time a printer has an issue, I open a ticket with them and they come out and either replace the printer at no charge or fix it. It owns. I probably call them out once a week.

We have our users call Konica Minolta support on our Bizbhubs:v:. Leasing printers truly is the future Unless the myth of the paperless office becomes reality

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009
Feh. We lease our horrible Toshibas, and have a service contract - but we're in Washington state, and the Toshiba service center HQ is in New York. Thus, if when one of these shitboxes falls over late in the day, a tech isn't assigned until the next day, when they're usually all booked due to the previous day's calls.

We won't speak of their automated supply system, except to note that when I told Facilities to stop bringing me more toner and store it over there, I had over three feet of black toner carts stacked up. (And after the first couple extra sets of color carts, I had them hold those. And those ended up coming in even more frequently.)

Before they finally took away all the accumulated overage for all the machines, we had easily $10-15k of toner stacked all over our various buildings.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
So, uh, remember Cryptolocker? Its little brother is here.

quote:

PowerLocker could prove an even more potent threat because it would be sold in underground forums as a DIY malware kit to anyone who can afford the $100 for a license, Friday's post warned. CryptoLocker, by contrast, was custom built for use by a single crime gang. What's more, PowerLocker might also offer several advanced features, including the ability to disable the task manager, registry editor, and other administration functions built into the Windows operating system. Screen shots and online discussions also indicate the newer malware may contain protections that prevent it from being reverse engineered when run on virtual machines.
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/researchers-warn-of-new-meaner-ransomware-with-unbreakable-crypto/

This sounds like a nightmare.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

guppy posted:

So, uh, remember Cryptolocker? Its little brother is here.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/01/researchers-warn-of-new-meaner-ransomware-with-unbreakable-crypto/

This sounds like a nightmare.

Proliferation of ransomware. I hope the NSA cracks encryption soon.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

KoRMaK posted:

Proliferation of ransomware. I hope the NSA cracks encryption soon.

:psyduck:

Either way, things the NSA is not going to be doing when it cracks AES: saving grandma's cat pictures from evil ransomware writers.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
3:30pm from our CEO:

You need to go purchase and set up a new Macbook Pro for <employee,> I want to take it with me to Morocco tomorrow at noon.

I'm glad I got plenty of goofing off in yesterday this is some bullshit... Configuring/preparing the laptop in this time frame really isn't so bad but... finding parking near our local Apple store is gay dildos

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

coyo7e posted:

This is way more common with Sony however, it can happen. One of my coworkers had to say almost exactly the same thing to get Sony to cover a faulty-out-of-the-box HDD on a new $3000 laptop with full warranty options across the board - the first 12 month warranty only covered accidental and not defective equipment for some retarded reason, and they wanted to sell us a new HDD for $300..

All you have to do with Dell though, is ask to speak to their supervisor and explain the situation.. Unless of course your buddy bought the consumer-level warranty, which means :laffo: Buy the ProSupport warranty or you're an idiot and you'll get jerked around almost every time you call.

I must admit, the ProSupport warranty is baller. We had a server crap out on us last week and I contacted Dell and in 5 minutes had an engineer on the phone looking at the event log we sent him. Two hours later there was a tech at the base gate (on the other side of the country) with part in hand. Unfortunately it turns out the engineer mis-read the schematics, and over the weekend the server crashed again with the exact same errors. Fortunately I just emailed the engineer and within 5 minutes he called me back and we were on the road to getting another tech sent out. Either Dell ProSupport is kick-rear end, or when they see "Department of Defense" as the warranty owner they try to be extra helpful.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I must admit, the ProSupport warranty is baller. We had a server crap out on us last week and I contacted Dell and in 5 minutes had an engineer on the phone looking at the event log we sent him. Two hours later there was a tech at the base gate (on the other side of the country) with part in hand. Unfortunately it turns out the engineer mis-read the schematics, and over the weekend the server crashed again with the exact same errors. Fortunately I just emailed the engineer and within 5 minutes he called me back and we were on the road to getting another tech sent out. Either Dell ProSupport is kick-rear end, or when they see "Department of Defense" as the warranty owner they try to be extra helpful.

They have various levels of Pro Support. You guys probably have the Mission Critical option, which does indeed kick rear end. We're "only" a hospital and we've had poo poo over-night shipped to us with little/no questions asked because of this.

namol
Mar 21, 2007

TWBalls posted:

They have various levels of Pro Support. You guys probably have the Mission Critical option, which does indeed kick rear end. We're "only" a hospital and we've had poo poo over-night shipped to us with little/no questions asked because of this.

We're a hospital and we have the 4 hour 24/7 plan. Sounds like you guys are cheaping out on support. About a month ago during a migration we had a mobo go bad in brand new hardware and I called them at 1am and by 3am we had a tech and part. System was back up and running by 4am.

namol fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jan 8, 2014

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

drukqs posted:

3:30pm from our CEO:

You need to go purchase and set up a new Macbook Pro for <employee,> I want to take it with me to Morocco tomorrow at noon.

I sure hope he's paying the proper import duty and filing the right forms with customs.

(One of my first tickets was an RMA to Morocco, which was still ongoing some 6 months later trying to actually deliver the replacement.)

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

TWBalls posted:

Anything hospital related generally gets special treatment on our end because of the potential for the issue to be a life and death situation. If you had something critical down but you only had NBD ProSupport it would be pretty easy for you to talk your way into getting it uplifted to a 2 hour or 4 hour dispatch.

skooky fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 8, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

rolleyes posted:

Even in the US I'm surprised that's legal. It's illegal as hell in the UK and EU.
It probably isn't legal however, I suspect a lot of the time it's just phone monkeys reading their script and not understanding it so they respond to the person incorrectly..?

Although in the case of that Sony Vaio, we had to call several times before Brad finally snapped and was about to go throw it onto the concrete. gently caress Sony, gently caress their prices, and especially gently caress their support.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

fivre posted:

I sure hope he's paying the proper import duty and filing the right forms with customs.

(One of my first tickets was an RMA to Morocco, which was still ongoing some 6 months later trying to actually deliver the replacement.)

Yeah this one isn't *staying* in Morocco it belongs to an American citizen who travels all over, she'll just happen to be in Morocco at the same time as our CEO.

But on that note, the accounting department once tried to hoist that responsibility on everybody else, rather than having them denote "this purchase of <technology> or <work related crap> is destined for another country" by forcing us to have separate spending accounts, separate CDW accounts, etcetera for each satellite office, then if I were to go to the Apple store and buy 20 iPads for Australia, I'd have to use the Australia card.

Sometimes I think there's liquid potato in the water cooler.

drukqs fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 8, 2014

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

namol posted:

We're a hospital and we have the 4 hour 24/7 plan. Sounds like you guys are cheaping out on support. About a month ago during a migration we had a mobo go bad in brand new hardware and I called them at 1am and by 3am we had a tech and part. System was back up and running by 4am.

For obvious geographical reasons you can't buy that kind of support in some places. If we could we would certainly jump at the chance

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Back earlier in my career, I worked a special helpdesk for our global field service reps (basically people that supported an aircraft engine manufacturer with their customers, airliners, etc.)

They all had the exact same model of laptop, so they'd mail their laptop to me via DHL, i'd swap their hard drive with a loaner, fix it, and theirs became the next loaner.

I would always tell them, "SHIP VIA DHL AND USE OUR ACCOUNT CODE!" Dhl at the time was really good with international shipments, and they had all of our customs agreements, so everything would just skip through easily.

I had one special snowflake in Argentina who refused to follow directions. I'd send him instructions on how to install stuff himself, and he refused. He finally decided to ship his stuff to me via some Argentianian post company (because they were close!) and his poo poo was stuck in customs for two weeks. He then yelled and screamed. The best part was, because he didn't use our senders, he had to end up paying duty on it.

He still never listened to us even after that.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I'm worried about the new guy hacking it - we had patching to do today (his first - he got his cherry popped!) and at 3:30 pm on the dot he logs out of his computer and puts on his jacket. I knew what he was doing, but I played dumb and asked if he was going outside for a smoke. He looks at me like I'm a nutcase and says he's heading to an appointment he has at 4pm.

"Oh? You finished patching?"

"I'll do that tomorrow."

I shook my head and told him that we have other patching to do tomorrow, and the day after that, and we don't leave until the day's patching is complete. His response? "But I've got an appointment."

This starts to piss me off, since I told him the first week that we don't leave until we finish patching, even if it means staying late. I'm very certain our team lead told him the same thing. I wasn't about to do his poo poo and mine, so I told him to sweet talk to the second shift guys and see if one of them would be willing to finish things off for him, otherwise he could take off his coat and get back to patching. Fortunately for him the second shift guys take pity and agree to finish his patching.

I'm trying hard to not get annoyed by all the hand-holding this guy needs - when I started the job I had almost no help from anyone and just muddled my way through things and figured that poo poo out on my own by reading our process documents. I would ask questions from time to time (I was afraid to ask too many questions for fear that it would reveal that I was terminally incompetent), but for most of it I had to learn as I went. I'm beginning to think that my explaining things and showing him how to do the work is not doing the new guy any favors. Maybe I just need to let him figure this poo poo out on his own and tell him where the process documents are and concentrate on my work. I have a feeling, however, that no matter what I do it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

namol posted:

Depends on what the hardware is for. Most of our stuff is NBD, but for stuff like Domain Controller or PACS, yeah, it's 4 hour plan. This place is very cheap. They don't want to pay GE for Muse support and instead keep running to us to help them fix poo poo, yet we have zero training.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I'm worried about the new guy hacking it - we had patching to do today (his first - he got his cherry popped!) and at 3:30 pm on the dot he logs out of his computer and puts on his jacket. I knew what he was doing, but I played dumb and asked if he was going outside for a smoke. He looks at me like I'm a nutcase and says he's heading to an appointment he has at 4pm.

"I'll do that tomorrow."

I shook my head and told him that we have other patching to do tomorrow, and the day after that, and we don't leave until the day's patching is complete. His response? "But I've got an appointment."

This starts to piss me off, since I told him the first week that we don't leave until we finish patching, even if it means staying late. I'm very certain our team lead told him the same thing. I wasn't about to do his poo poo and mine, so I told him to sweet talk to the second shift guys and see if one of them would be willing to finish things off for him, otherwise he could take off his coat and get back to patching. Fortunately for him the second shift guys take pity and agree to finish his patching.

I'm trying hard to not get annoyed by all the hand-holding this guy needs - when I started the job I had almost no help from anyone and just muddled my way through things and figured that poo poo out on my own by reading our process documents. I would ask questions from time to time (I was afraid to ask too many questions for fear that it would reveal that I was terminally incompetent), but for most of it I had to learn as I went. I'm beginning to think that my explaining things and showing him how to do the work is not doing the new guy any favors. Maybe I just need to let him figure this poo poo out on his own and tell him where the process documents are and concentrate on my work. I have a feeling, however, that no matter what I do it's going to come back and bite me in the rear end.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the problem isn't you helping him, the problem is that he doesn't understand that in IT there are jobs where you can't just go home when your shift is up. You helping him is probably one of the only things keeping the guy around.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

True, I assume its just one of those things where the second shift comes in later and expects that the work done before they got there was finished and that they'd continue on or that its a measure to make sure employees don't sit around for half the day because they know work they don't do will get picked up.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 8, 2014

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Without touching the guy's other flaws, "wanting to go home at the end of your scheduled shift" is not outrageous.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Why are you staying behind if there's a second shift? Surely patching is something they should pick up?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Javid posted:

Without touching the guy's other flaws, "wanting to go home at the end of your scheduled shift" is not outrageous.

Yeah, I would sort of understand your point if it had been announced in advance (it sounds like it was sprung on the guy that day) but if you're working shifts then surely the next shift picks it up?

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Agree with the above comments.

I'll work late if I can and if something needs doing, but if you spring it on me and I have other plans scheduled then tough poo poo. Give me a bit of notice and I'll try to rearrange things, but it's not always possible.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
That's the stockholm syndrome of terrible jobs. You have poo poo rules, and don't notice that they're poo poo until someone else points it out. Why wouldn't PM take over the patches? It shouldn't be that hard to say, "Hey, keep going on these fuckers, they're _____% done".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dino. posted:

That's the stockholm syndrome of terrible jobs. You have poo poo rules, and don't notice that they're poo poo until someone else points it out. Why wouldn't PM take over the patches? It shouldn't be that hard to say, "Hey, keep going on these fuckers, they're _____% done".

To be fair, I never said it was a good deal. My first day ended up in me working 12 hours. No, I wasn't told and it was loving awful because I was only there for "training" so I wasn't actually doing anything except watching the guy training me reformat a PC. The reason it took so long is the guy tried to save time and just "remove the virus". The virus was crypto. No, I wasn't amused. I wouldn't blame him for wanting to leave if it was sprung on him. If it was, I take it back, the new guys problem was making the same mistake I did and not asking.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I worked in University tech support for years. My first full day, the VP of the uni NEEDED THIS DONE OMG to an old-rear end Windows 98 for a donation to some thing or another. I stayed there from 2 PM until 3 AM. Why? Because I got the call to do the PC at like 9 PM, and we closed at 10. Ugh. And the thing took an age to do it. After that, my coworkers the next day were like, "Are you retarded? Why didn't you just call the boss, and say it's not done and it's closing time, and you're going home?" "Because it was from the VEE PEE! It HAD TO GET DONE."

Yeah. Never made that mistake again. When my shift was over, I'd bounce. If someone gave me poo poo, I'd be like "If I stay an hour longer, it'll go into overtime, because I'm already maxed out on today's hours, and I need to be here for tomorrow." That usually shut them up. And no, I'm not staying "off the clock", gently caress you.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when they turn you salary next year. Hopefully with a nice bump, but probably not.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I left my last job because maintenance or planned changes - known about for weeks by engineering and/or upper IT management - was given to us same-day or on extremely short notice when I had plans or recurring appointments. Their response: "cancel your plans and reschedule your appointments, your presence is required."

Engineers clearly aren't capable of having someone hand them a cable at 5:15 PM.

I get emergencies, I'm sure nobody responsible would just up and leave if something's literally broken. But if you've got a second shift and they're aware of the work, there's nothing wrong with saying "okay, second shift, I've gotten up to X server, lemme know if there are any issues, your turn now."

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Daylen Drazzi posted:

"I'll do that tomorrow."

Same as the rest. If he knew about this far enough in advance, he could have moved his appointment. Or tried to. Who knows what kind of appointment it is? Sometimes those can't be moved. He scheduled it after work, which is fine. I mean, if this is something he does 3x a week, okay, but otherwise, its not his loving problem. I'll happily stay late, etc if its needed at a job, but if I book something for after work, I'm not staying late that day unless its a goddamn all-hands-on-deck-poo poo-on-fire type of situation.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I am now the least popular person at a high school of freshly supervised iPads. I think I saw my picture in a student's locker with devil horns and a poorly drawn moustache.

I might start parking my car farther away when I visit this school.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I am now the least popular person at a high school of freshly supervised iPads. I think I saw my picture in a student's locker with devil horns and a poorly drawn moustache.

You should tell them to speahl with it.
Sorry

I am getting more and more tired doing home fiber support. In 2014 it should be expected of people to know that passwords are case sensetive, how to connect to a wireless network and how to capitalize words on the computer. Even if they are represented as a '*'. It can't honestly be unreasonable of me to ask you if you're using a wireless or cabled conenction!

Or maybe I just need a good drink before work :v:

KweezNArt
Jul 30, 2007

Tigern posted:

I am getting more and more tired doing home fiber support. In 2014 it should be expected of people to know that passwords are case sensetive, how to connect to a wireless network and how to capitalize words on the computer. Even if they are represented as a '*'. It can't honestly be unreasonable of me to ask you if you're using a wireless or cabled conenction!

"The little stars all look the same! How can I be sure I'm typing them in right? Couldn't it just display a capital star?"

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

"Hi, I just got a message that says 'X has stopped working'!"
"Okay, well to start X back up, can I get you to log out and log back in? Can you tell me what you were doing immediately prior to the crash?"
"Oops, I shut down instead of logging out."
"That's fine, it will just take a little longer. So right before the crash..."
"I was trying to open a Word document."
"Okay, I'll take a look at it. Can you tell me which one and where it is once you're back on your computer?"
"I'm logging in right now... Now that I look at it, I think I might have been browsing a folder on the network."
"Okay, which folder was that?"
"Or, you know, I might have been reading a PDF from a website."
"..."

Eventually I had the guy make sure he could access what he needed to without the program crashing. I told him I'd look up his error message and see what I could find (but it's just the generic Windows crash message) and that he should call me ASAP if it happens again to which he responds:

"So you're not even going to TRY to figure out why it crashed?"

:argh:

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

couldcareless posted:

I give those kids a week at most before they find a way around whatever you've done to lock down the iPads.

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Multiple People posted:

maybe if he knew enough in advance...

Daylen Drazzi posted:

This starts to piss me off, since I told him the first week that we don't leave until we finish patching, even if it means staying late. I'm very certain our team lead told him the same thing.

He knew. It sounds like he's like quite a few "techs" I've seen. They're lazy and know jack poo poo. They pretty much skate by because other people pick up their slack. He needs to stop holding his hand, it's only going to get worse.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Daylen Drazzi posted:

"I'll do that tomorrow."

How often are these patching days that take you into the night?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I give those kids a week at most before they find a way around whatever you've done to lock down the iPads.

I know in high school when they locked us down it took us about two days to figure out if you opened MSinfo, then opened task manager from there, the run dialog wasn't disabled and you could run anything.

Never doubt the resourcefulness of teenagers.

Edit: wrong RE word

blackswordca fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 8, 2014

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Knowing the administration here, for every kid that succeeds, their iPad will be confiscated and replaced with a 10 year old dell vostro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Keep a couple etch-a-sketches around.

• Locked thread