Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Tighclops posted:

Tell me about it. I mean, it's great that I can go out and buy Starfleet sporks and whatnot now but it's not worth all the bullshit that came with it. I can even handle the sexual deviancy, it's the misogyny and the thoughtlessness about the media they consume that grates on my nerves. Dear nerds: women won't like you if you treat them like poo poo, put away the PUA manuals and the fedoras.

The Trek threads were a big reason why I regged. I can sperg out here about art design and Syd Mead being awesome and John Eaves being awful and not get poo poo upon by some know-nothing with a dragonball av.

Man, I love Syd Mead. It really sucks that his art books are usually like $400 a pop and nowhere near affordable, because I'd love to have one.

I've kind of stopped liking Star Wars, superhero comics, video games, getting excited for movies before they come out... It's kinda sad, really. I hope I don't ever run out of things I still like. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yaaaaaaaaaay they put the matte lines back in.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Gau posted:

Start with series five, it's a fresh start and the writing and production values go up dramatically. The show is only getting more popular, it's a Big Deal now. It's why I can't buy the fans killed Trek argument; Doctor Who fans are seriously some of the loving worst. Whole droves of them stopped watching when Tennant left the show, because OMG different - and the show's ratings only went up.

9th Doctor best Doctor, sorry :colbert:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, I think Star Trek fared better than Star Wars, at least. Star Trek just kind of withered away gradually - it went away with a whimper instead of a bang. Star Wars shot itself in the face with a shotgun and made an enormous bloody mess all over carpet. And to make matters worse, its braindead corpse remains hooked up to life support. Bad Star Trek is really mediocre and forgettable. Bad Star Wars is traumatic. For the past decade or two... I've kind of wished that Star Wars would just stop.

For the love of god don't read the Star Wars thread in CD, they actually think the prequels are good because of Lucas' brilliant subtext or some insane poo poo like that

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jan 8, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Farecoal posted:

You're seven Doctors off.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I don't go to conventions anymore, I don't go to meetups, the most I do is chat about poo poo on message boards because at least I never have to see any of you disgusting, unwashed sperglords in person.

Hey, if I ever left the house to see you I would wash first. :mad:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

You mean 5 or 6. Pertwee and Baker are the best Doctors :colbert:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Matt Smith's best bits are when he's doing his Two impression, as well.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Farecoal posted:

For the love of god don't read the Star Wars thread in CD, they actually think the prequels are good because of Lucas' brilliant subtext or some insane poo poo like that

I enjoy them because I enjoy things without worrying too much. I pick at plot holes and nonsense, but I also go "did you see the part where that thing exploded that ruled. Although they said it would take five minutes to fly there and the scene was 20 minutes long so...uh...huh."

poo poo, I'd pay $15 to watch Robot Punch: the Movie, where 26 skyscraper sized robots fight in a last man standing battle royale in some Coruscant-scale city to a soundtrack composed entirely of hair bands and all the actors scream catchphrases at each other. Jason Statham is in it of course.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Truly, some people need to learn to just enjoy poo poo.

That being said, some people need to learn to make movies/shows that aren't embarrassingly bad in places.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Maybe if the prequels weren't full of awful acting and dialog I might enjoy them. Basically, if they were good movies.

I'd still watch them over Nemesis though :v:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 8, 2014

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The only good thing to come out of the Star Wars prequels was using my copy of the RotS novelization to bullshit a buddy for god knows how long over a major plot point being General Grievous being Obiwan's father and how the whole third act hinged upon that revelation.

Five minutes after the midnight showing of Revenge of the Sith finished, I got a text message which read simply "gently caress you."

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Man... in recent years I have gotten so cynical towards and fed up with "geek culture"... I think geeks were probably always insane, misogynistic sexual deviants, it's just that nobody noticed until the Internet came around and nerds started becoming the mainstream.

Yeah. It's a pretty depressing realization to come to, but also a totally unavoidable one. :(

However, some of the writers are pretty nuts too, so maybe that's part of it. We need more sane and well-adjusted people in sci-fi/fantasy, and fewer Gene Roddenberrys (well-meaning as he was, the dude was a little off) and L. Ron Hubbards (who obviously represents the far, far end of the insanity scale.) At the very least we need others involved in the creative process who aren't afraid to say "no" once and a while. A Ron Moore for every Brannon Braga. Sci-fi writers need editors nearly as badly as Hideo Kojima.

Big Bang Theory

Also a problem... but I do agree with you that it acts as a filter of sorts, so there's that.

Delsaber fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 8, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Tighclops posted:

The most irritating and unpalatable aspects of any fandom are usually the loudest. It's really frustrating when you finally meet somebody into the same stuff you are and you think "Hey! Maybe I can make a new friend and we can hang out-" but then you cut that train of thought short when they want to show you their Firefly/10th Doctor/My Little Pony crossover furry slashfic. I'm not convinced "geek culture" going mainstream the way it has is a good thing.

The forums at TheForce.Net really destroyed my ability to enjoy Star Wars, I spent waaaaay too much time there and the forums are a giant hugbox for awful nerds (more awful than the lot of you, in fact :v: )

I still appreciate the prequels though because they gave us the Plinkett Star Wars reviews which are entertaining as their own little thing.

Also, I feel like space opera is dead because it actually got killed by a complete lack of original ideas. Think about how Enterprise was just a cheap ripoff of TNG in every way, and TNG was like 15 years old by the time Enterprise got off the ground. Same with Star Wars, the prequels are just bad versions of the original trilogy and stylistically/structurally the same (but worse in every way).

It's possible for it to come back, but someone would have to come up with something more than "poo poo happens in space" because that format doesn't work on TV anymore. BSG kind of extended the life of it by pretending it was cinema verité long enough to suck you in so that they could let loose all the bad ideas that the format can bring, but it was just a temporary reprieve. Even the nerd favorite Firefly got shitcanned very quickly.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
If Space Opera comes back to mainstream TV, it'll be in the same sweeping epic format that Game of Thrones or Dune is. Maybe some kind of Legend of Galactic Heroes-like political/military thriller of some sort. I wouldn't mind seeing a show like that! The rise and fall of space empires, vast fleets of warships duking it out among the stars! It'd be pretty cool.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

DrSunshine posted:

If Space Opera comes back to mainstream TV, it'll be in the same sweeping epic format that Game of Thrones or Dune is. Maybe some kind of Legend of Galactic Heroes-like political/military thriller of some sort. I wouldn't mind seeing a show like that! The rise and fall of space empires, vast fleets of warships duking it out among the stars! It'd be pretty cool.

I'm fine with something like that but I also really want Trek tv or something like SG-1 or Atlantis, something optimistic and fun and not necessarily a serial with an overarching mystery. Almost Human is fairly optimistic and fun but it's still a long way from some sort of new Trek.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Trent posted:

That being said, some people need to learn to make movies/shows that aren't embarrassingly bad in places.

I know I'm beating a dead horse at this point, but part of this has to be breaking out of this recycled IP holding pattern that TV and movie studios are loving stuck in.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Garak did not care what sex you where, if he could use you then he would bang you.

Perhaps memory fails me but wasn't Garak extremely wary of getting on Dukat's bad side re: Ziyal?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Star Trek's never been Space Opera like that, though. It's been about what they find at the other end, not flying around in the ships themselves. The exploration of the strange unknowns of the universe, the infinite possibility. And quite frankly, if you can run out of ideas when your can include just about anything, you're not trying hard enough.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mr. Jive posted:

Perhaps memory fails me but wasn't Garak extremely wary of getting on Dukat's bad side re: Ziyal?

Garak didn't really seem like he even wanted Ziyal to have feelings for him.

Because he gay and is too polite to tell her he's not interested, he only has eyes for Bashir.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I still maintain a new episodic star trek would work today if every week they just had a new place, cast, and thing to tell a story about. No permanent ship and crew gives you huge creative freedom, and lets you keep the classic "thing of the week" episodic format without focusing on serialized drama or voiding it all with weekly reset buttons. Each season would be like a classic sci-fi short story anthology. With the entire Trek universe to play with, you could tell all sorts of stories, further develop the universe, and get Trek back to ideas instead of techno-babble. Get a few big name actors here and there for an episode to draw in the viewers, and a top notch casting director to fill in the new talent. The writing team would have to be really good to pull it off, but I think you could make something that would appeal to modern audiences that isn't a serialized drama. It would also probably be impossible because of set costs but whatever I'm dreaming here. :allears:

OtherworldlyInvader fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 8, 2014

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yes, I would also like The Twilight Zone to return.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Star Wars. Yes, my first love before Trek. The prequels are for children, Lucas said this himself with a kinda smirk as he said it 'they're for kids, you fools' while the original series isn't. You think about the scripts in the original series, particularly the language used in something like Empire Strikes Back. There is the love triangle between Leia, Han and Luke.. which is really quite an adult concept until it becomes clear Luke and Leia are off the cards. Han is a bastard, a lot of the time.. hence why he is so memorable as the lovable scoundrel.. but that's again a more adult concept while kiddies cry 'why is he not being nice?!'.

Lastly, Lucas did not direct ESB or RotJ. Particularly ESB was Ivan Kershner.. remember Robocop 2? That was memorable as well. ESB is generally regarded so highly because of it's 'darkness', in the sense it doesn't have the usual happy ending and you really feel the Empire closing in around you, vast and powerful. Again, this doesn't sell action figures to kiddies!

Is space opera dead? Mm, yeah I guess it is. I can't think of a modern movie (in the last 10 years) that I would call good space opera. I guess you could say Mass Effect is really some of the best modern media that wears that title.

According the the Wiki list of Space Opera media..

Doctor Who (1963–1989, 1996 TV film, 2005–present) created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, Donald Wilson
Star Trek (1966–present) created by Gene Roddenberry
Star Wars (1977–present) created by George Lucas
Blake's 7 (1978–1981) created by Terry Nation
Battlestar Galactica (1978–1979 and 2004–2009) created by Glen A. Larson & Ronald D. Moore[25][26][27]
Starchaser: The Legend of Orin (1985) created by Jeffrey Scott
Red Dwarf (1988–1999, 2009, 2012) created by Grant Naylor, Rob Grant, Doug Naylor
Babylon 5 (1993–1998) created by J. Michael Straczynski [28]
Stargate (1994–2011[29]) created by Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin
The Fifth Element (1997) created by Luc Besson
Lexx (1997–2002) created by Paul Donovan, Lex Gigeroff, Jeffrey Hirschfield
Farscape (1999–2003) created by Rockne S. O'Bannon[30]
Andromeda (2000–2005) created by Gene Roddenberry
Titan A.E. (2000) created by Ben Edlund, John August, and Joss Whedon
Firefly (2002) created by Joss Whedon
Duck Dodgers TV series (2003–2006)
The Chronicles of Riddick, (2004) characters by Ken Wheat and direction and universe by David Twohy.
Prometheus (2012 film) created by Ridley Scott

Yes. Dead is about right. Pretty loving bleak. Goddamn it Prometheus was bullshit.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Garak initially thought Ziyal was an assassin for Dukat I think?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I still maintain a new episodic star trek would work today if every week they just had a new place, cast, and thing to tell a story about. No permanent ship and crew gives you huge creative freedom, and lets you keep the classic "thing of the week" episodic format without focusing on serialized drama or voiding it all with weekly reset buttons.

Personally, I do sort of still hope in about 4-5 years they opt to do a Star Trek series on Showtime or something with the modern film cast rather than trying to continue the films.

Give that cast 12 one-hour episodes a season, have individual episode plotlines with a looming overarching storyline spread out between them.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I still maintain a new episodic star trek would work today if every week they just had a new place, cast, and thing to tell a story about. No permanent ship and crew gives you huge creative freedom, and lets you keep the classic "thing of the week" episodic format without focusing on serialized drama or voiding it all with weekly reset buttons.

I personally think this would be the perfect way to do a modern serialized Trek. Change viewpoint ships/characters/races every episode but tell a big story from a bunch of directions at once. References/ interactions/ callbacks to previous episodes could keep things tied together (like characters showing up in each others' flashbacks in Lost - DON'T ARGUE ABOUT LOST)

It could even be completely episodic for those who want to tune in once in a while, but if you watch the whole thing you see something develop. Include TOS era ships, WOK era ships, TNG/DS9 era, and post-Nemisis era ships. The Enterprise/DS9/Etc should be background fanservice things rather than a central focus.

OOh ooh, Maybe a time-traveler a bit like Picard in All Good Things except on purpose and he's the only one on all the ships in every episode, and what is he trying to do exactly? (You know, like Richard Alpert on Lost DON'T ARGUE ABOUT LOST)

Of course, that would take amazing foresight in writing to do well, and if we get anything it will probably be starfleet academy and look all new aliens you've never heard of what the hell happened to the klingons/romulans/etc my starship has seven nacelles

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
The thing is with Star Trek, I'm not sure what you can do with it that hasn't already been done, but still keep it recognizable as Star Trek. Eventually, when someone is around long enough, it gets Simpsons syndrome. Although maybe my view on that is just clouded as DS9 was the last truly original Trek series. Of course, they could have taken Voyager and Enterprise's premises someone else, they just chose to be lazy and make them copies of TNG.

Someone posted a joke article about Star Trek: CSI and Star Trek: ER, but those would legitimately be pretty terrible. Plus, you can already do detective episodes and medical episodes in regular Star Trek, and they've done that a lot.

Maybe I'm just not creative enough.

Farecoal posted:

Between you and me, I think CD is the worst subforum. Yeah, Death of the Author may be required for modern criticism, but Jesus H. Christ on a bike, they take it to insane levels over there.

DrSunshine posted:

I have most of Legend of Galactic Heroes downloaded, I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet, as it's a little daunting. It sounds like it would be up my alley, but hundreds of episodes and characters seems like a huge investment.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gau posted:

Yes, I would also like The Twilight Zone to return.

That was my thought reading his post as well, but it is interesting that there are so few anthology shows around these days. They've tried to revive the Zone itself twice (and might try a third time), and I think there are reasons it will never succeed, but audiences seem less interested in that kind of thing. You'd think in an era where every show has to have a musical episode and reunion of people from an old show episode that an athology show would be a no-brainer, but I guess "season arcs" are important for sweeps months, or something.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I have most of Legend of Galactic Heroes downloaded, I just haven't gotten around to watching it yet, as it's a little daunting. It sounds like it would be up my alley, but hundreds of episodes and characters seems like a huge investment.
Actually, it's only 3 movies and 110 23-minute episodes. DS9 is a full 176 episodes at ~45 minutes each. So if you think of it that way, it's a much smaller investment than watching 7 seasons of any given Trek.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Tyson Tomko posted:

Back in the Windows 3.11 days we had a game called WinTrek that was VERY similar. I can't find any screenshots of it but this one is basically identical except it has TNG graphics instead of the TOS graphics I remember. Also gently caress yeah Trek 25th Anniversary, that is THE reason I found out how to use DOSBox back in the day because it owned so much as a kid. You could spend hours just typing random poo poo into the computer console because it was so intelligently made.

(sorry to drag things back to Trek games)

drat kids and their fancy graphics. I remember being more hooked than I should have been on EGA-TREK (totally not Star Trek, honest). Yes. That's 'EGA'. A resolution that predated VGA.

Yeah, Mongols. Not Klingons. Mongols. And it's the "Dept of Space", not Federation.

It's like I'm THERE, man.
And yet I loved this game more than was reasonable. Seriously, I wasted hours on it.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
Wow, so that's what "Quote is not Edit" means

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Trent posted:

OOh ooh, Maybe a time-traveler a bit like Picard in All Good Things except on purpose and he's the only one on all the ships in every episode, and what is he trying to do exactly?

Get Scott Bakula back for it I guess? "His next leap could take him home..."

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Dog_Meat posted:

drat kids and their fancy graphics. I remember being more hooked than I should have been on EGA-TREK (totally not Star Trek, honest). Yes. That's 'EGA'. A resolution that predated VGA.

Yeah, Mongols. Not Klingons. Mongols. And it's the "Dept of Space", not Federation.

Holy crap I remember this too! I truly do miss the EGA days that poo poo looked so pretty. I'm going to have to dig around deep in my boxes of old stuff to see if I can find some of my old Trek QBASIC games now. Nothing like hearing a really awful pc speaker rendition of "doo doo DOOOOO"

VVVVVVVV
The very first thing I'm going to do when I get home now (after stirring food in crock pot) is play that video, thanks so much.

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 8, 2014

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZDAtNDzPQ

Complete with PC speaker sound. The memories... That feeling when you respond to a distress call from a star base and take out all the 'Mongol' ships in one turn and you feel like the MAN. now bring me my green hareem.

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 8, 2014

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Trent posted:

Mayor I think
:effort:

edit: not even

Still awesome though.

I hope when he was sworn in he got O'Reilly to stand off to the side and go "Glory to you..." :stare: "and your houuuuse"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Trent posted:

I personally think this would be the perfect way to do a modern serialized Trek. Change viewpoint ships/characters/races every episode but tell a big story from a bunch of directions at once.

This would be a pretty expensive show to make. Star Trek was economical because they had a lot of standing sets to reuse again and again; building new sets is time-consuming and expensive, location shooting is very expensive, and Blood and Chrome tried doing all-digital sets and apparently ran into some serious issues with it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This would be a pretty expensive show to make. Star Trek was economical because they had a lot of standing sets to reuse again and again; building new sets is time-consuming and expensive, location shooting is very expensive, and Blood and Chrome tried doing all-digital sets and apparently ran into some serious issues with it.

This would be borderline trivial with proper production design. You just design your sets so they can come apart and rearrange into different configurations on purpose (instead of just haphazardly rearranging them on demand like TNG did, leading to certain bridges changing dramatically on every appearance), so you can have four or five different bridges and medbays for the different classes of ship you intend to feature. I think that would wind up lending itself to a series about a specific fleet or a major starbase, however, like a JAG in Space or something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Phy posted:

I hope when he was sworn in he got O'Reilly to stand off to the side and go "Glory to you..." :stare: "and your houuuuse"

Hey now, we've got an actual emote for that :gowron:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dog_Meat posted:

(sorry to drag things back to Trek games)

It's like I'm THERE, man.
And yet I loved this game more than was reasonable. Seriously, I wasted hours on it.

No that's the later version after he got a C&D from Paramount. I got the old version on a shareware CD when I was like 6 that called it the Enterprise and had Klingons and the Federation.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sicarius posted:

I donno... maybe it's because Jeri's boobs are smaller? Or real? Not sure. It didn't/doesn't look as ridiculous to me. Note - it's still ridiculous, just less. It's like they said "these ones go to eleven" when designing T'Pol's titsuits.

I think Jolene is shorter and her frame is slightly smaller than Jeri's. However, I think Jolene's costume (or her figure) held things higher than Jeri's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Vulcans come from a higher-gravity world, too.

• Locked thread