Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It feels a lot more like a justification for any argument in CD half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

TwoPair posted:

Also cold puns. Always cold puns. I stand by B&R being a bad movie but the cold puns are a wonderful fantastic thing.

I heard somewhere that Schwarzenegger brought in a writer whose sole job was to write all those catchphrases for his character.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a cool assignment.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You know what caused the death of the author? Hypothermia.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

A bat bomb?!

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Eagerly awaiting the thoughtful discussion about such masterpieces like Elektra and Catwoman.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Let's remind ourselves of the awesomeness of B&R Mr Freeze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkTHtWX7CCY

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Batman Sub Zero came out around the same time and was originally meant for some kind of theatrical release before being dumped to home video. It is exceedingly excellent.

It's the opposite of the also excellent Mask of the Phantasm which was originally supposed to be direct to video, but then they said "Nah we're releasing this theatrically, not that you can have any more budget", and released it for like two weeks in the middle of February to no acclaim.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Madkal posted:

Eagerly awaiting the thoughtful discussion about such masterpieces like Elektra and Catwoman.

Batman and Robin is a lot of things but at least it's fun. No way somebody thinks Elektra is a fun film.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I haven't seen Catwoman, but it seems like one of those films people say is really bad without ever having seen it. All I know is it certainly deviates from the Batman character.

Berry's catwoman probably isn't as bad as her Storm, right?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

I haven't seen Catwoman, but it seems like one of those films people say is really bad without ever having seen it. All I know is it certainly deviates from the Batman character.

I don't know, you tell me.

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.
I think one of the best (read: worst) parts about Catwoman is that the costume she wears during the jewelry store scene is a perfectly serviceable outfit.

Immediately afterwards she ditches it for the literal BDSM leather catsuit she wears for the rest of the movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

greatn posted:

Batman Sub Zero came out around the same time and was originally meant for some kind of theatrical release before being dumped to home video. It is exceedingly excellent.

It's the opposite of the also excellent Mask of the Phantasm which was originally supposed to be direct to video, but then they said "Nah we're releasing this theatrically, not that you can have any more budget", and released it for like two weeks in the middle of February to no acclaim.
Also iirc Ebert didn't like Mark Hamill as the Joker for some reason.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Also iirc Ebert didn't like Mark Hamill as the Joker for some reason.

Siskel, actually. Although both of them gave the movie a pretty glowing review overall.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aphrodite posted:

That's a cool assignment.

Goddamnit.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

greatn posted:

I dunno, I'd recommend anyone watch it at least once; it's terrible, but still within the realm of being enjoyably bad.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

:allears:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I would assume that's thanks to Superman 1 and 2 and the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, right?

What was the first "legit" big budget Marvel superhero movie, Blade?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Teek posted:

I would assume that's thanks to Superman 1 and 2 and the Burton/Schumacher Batman movies, right?

Do you count Men in Black as superhero?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

A-yup.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I don't think anyone is even arguing that Batman & Robin is some neglected work of artistic genius, myself and others are just saying it's a campy bad movie that's entertaining as hell. The queer cinema readings don't make it a great movie, but they're not off base and they are fun to talk about.

Well, I do think it's neglected, despite a noble minority, but you're right: It's not exactly the Citizen Kane of movies.

I think it comes down to whether you're laughing with the movie or at the movie. Even if Schumacher has never been what I'd consider a great filmmaker, he'd done like 10 movies by the time he made Batman & Robin. While I share the view that much of the film is misguided, how are we supposed to talk about it if we're assuming that every distinctive moment in the film was a function of creative incompetence? It is, for better or worse, the product of a collaborative vision.

But that's kind of unavoidable when you reduce stuff down to "good" and "bad"; even the worst movies are still movies, and we can still talk about them as such.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
According to several accounts, Schumacher was keen on retaining the style of the Burton movies but his hands were tied by the studio. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I suppose it means B&R might've looked like Batman Returns (which is really a sillier movie than most fans seem willing to admit; the villains are a deformed maniac who lives in the sewers attended by a troupe of evil mimes and an army of rocket-powered penguins, and Christopher Walken in a Beetlejuice costume).

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Metal Loaf posted:

According to several accounts, Schumacher was keen on retaining the style of the Burton movies but his hands were tied by the studio. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, I suppose it means B&R might've looked like Batman Returns (which is really a sillier movie than most fans seem willing to admit; the villains are a deformed maniac who lives in the sewers attended by a troupe of evil mimes and an army of rocket-powered penguins, and Christopher Walken in a Beetlejuice costume).

The way I heard his hand was pushed because WB wanted to sell more toys.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Not Captain America or the Lundgren Punisher?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Not Captain America or the Lundgren Punisher?
I do not count those as "big budget". If it's not Blade, it's probably Lungren Punisher, though.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
The problem with Batman and Robin is that it is a huge steaming pile of poo poo. Anyone trying to make it look anything other than that are obviously lunatics that need to be locked away until the end of their days.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

The problem with Batman and Robin is that it is a huge steaming pile of poo poo. Anyone trying to make it look anything other than that are obviously lunatics that need to be locked away until the end of their days.

I agree, film is either good film or bad film, anything else is mad rambling.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Antisamitism posted:

I think it comes down to whether you're laughing with the movie or at the movie. Even if Schumacher has never been what I'd consider a great filmmaker, he'd done like 10 movies by the time he made Batman & Robin. While I share the view that much of the film is misguided, how are we supposed to talk about it if we're assuming that every distinctive moment in the film was a function of creative incompetence? It is, for better or worse, the product of a collaborative vision.

Weeeeelllll if you're gonna make that argument you have to also acknowledge that, while Schumacher had made 10 movies prior to B&R, almost all of them sucked. So maybe he is really that bad.

His Batman flicks are certainly his most distinctive movies, at least.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Unlike Batman and Robin, I will defend the objective quality of DC Cab to the death.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
I really liked Phone Booth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah thread, Bay and Schumacher make great movies that are much more interesting than The Dark Knight Rises.

Also hamburgers eat people.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Pain and Gain is sitting there, laughing at you and being better than any comic book film this decade.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah thread, Bay and Schumacher make great movies that are much more interesting than The Dark Knight Rises.

Also hamburgers eat people.

If you wanted to be sarcastic, you could have at least used The Dark Knight or Batman Begins, which are actually good, instead of DKR, which actually sucks.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I really liked Phone Booth.

I'll go to bat for Falling Down and yeah I remember enjoying Phone Booth as well.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Is it cool not to like lost boys now?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shawn posted:

Is it cool not to like lost boys now?

Not liking Lost Boys has always been cool. It's Near Dark's obnoxious little brother.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you wanted to be sarcastic, you could have at least used The Dark Knight or Batman Begins, which are actually good, instead of DKR, which actually sucks.

I just don't know what people have against that movie, it was fine. Certainly better than loving Batman and Robin. But whatever, this thread has gone completely insane and I fully expect people to start talking about how good the Dolph Lundgren Punisher was in the next 5 posts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I just don't know what people have against that movie, it was fine. Certainly better than loving Batman and Robin. But whatever, this thread has gone completely insane and I fully expect people to start talking about how good the Dolph Lundgren Punisher was in the next 5 posts.

Like I said before: I don't think anyone is arguing that Batman & Robin is a good movie (except maybe Antisamitism I guess). But it's fun to watch and fun to talk about, which is more than I can say for DKR, which is a dour 3 hour slog. DKR may only be a C- to Batman & Robin's F, but given the choice I'd rather watch B&R ten times out of ten. I'll generally take a spectacularly bad movie over a middling one.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 9, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'd argue that Batman and Robin is better than people insist, but considering most people hate it so much that saying anything other than it sucks offends them that's pretty faint praise.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I get that The Dark Knight Rises isn't necessarily a happy movie, but I just adore how loving bonkers it is. It just throws out crazy poo poo like the program that erases your entire existence. It has a supervillain take over Gotham City and run it as a small independent country for several months. I'm not going to argue the movie is without its flaws, but to me it also represents a level of nuts and ambition that I want from my superhero movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I get that The Dark Knight Rises isn't necessarily a happy movie, but I just adore how loving bonkers it is. It just throws out crazy poo poo like the program that erases your entire existence. It has a supervillain take over Gotham City and run it as a small independent country for several months. I'm not going to argue the movie is without its flaws, but to me it also represents a level of nuts and ambition that I want from my superhero movies.

Its best moments are definitely the ones where it goes full-on '90s comics Knightfall/No Man's Land ridiculous, like the mock trial scenes.

• Locked thread