Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I guarantee you that if they draft a TE, especially a second round TE, OD is gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I guarantee you that if they draft a TE, especially a second round TE, OD is gone

I don't think they'll need to cut him immediately; more as an heir to OD. I actually see Graham leaving before OD is cut, weird as it sounds.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bhsman posted:

I don't think they'll need to cut him immediately; more as an heir to OD. I actually see Graham leaving before OD is cut, weird as it sounds.

I don't know. They're cap strapped, OD makes a ton and is $6m in cap relief if cut, Graham is cheap

e: Graham is nowhere near the player OD is though. If OD didn't have such an injury bug they'd probably keep him anyway

But we need the money for JJ Watt so

e2: I guess he still has $1.5m in dead money so he's a $4.5m cap savings, not 6

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 8, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

I don't know. They're cap strapped, OD makes a ton and is $6m in cap relief if cut, Graham is cheap

e: Graham is nowhere near the player OD is though. If OD didn't have such an injury bug they'd probably keep him anyway

But we need the money for JJ Watt so

Watt has that fifth-year option so we can extend him after next season; I'd actually expect Kareem to get an extension next, if we're following the pattern...

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Oh sweet cutting Brice McCain is now a net cap savings CUT THAT MOTHERFUCKER

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I wouldn't mind keeping him as depth for the CB1/2 positions but yeah, that broken foot basically killed his speed necessary for the slot corner position. :sigh:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Brandon Harris is cheaper and slightly less lovely

Nawid
Mar 27, 2011

LEGO Genetics posted:

I don't know where you guys keep getting Johnny Football for Oakland talk when we'll clearly take Carr the Younger at #5 and continue a tradition of mediocre/bad quarterbacks from Fresno State.

Unfortunately we won't be able to give him shell-shock like Carr the Elder, I'm fairly certain our offensive line is halfway decent.
Not if Tony Sparano leaves.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Intruder posted:

Brandon Harris is cheaper and slightly less lovely

This is true.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
This conversation reminds me that no matter what happens Gino Gradkowski will be employed by my team, if only as depth. At least Cary William is dead and gone.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

bhsman posted:

Watt has that fifth-year option so we can extend him after next season; I'd actually expect Kareem to get an extension next, if we're following the pattern...
They can extend him now and according to OTC the 5th year option has to be exercised by May 3rd. From what I've read the Jets will be looking to extend Wilkerson this offseason and he's also in the 2011 class.

http://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-first-rookie-option-years/

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Intruder posted:

Daniels is gone regardless. He's just not worth the contract they're giving him given his health issues. He hasn't played a full season since 2008.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Intruder posted:

I'm reading this and drooling over Bridgewater even more

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

Oh my god I think I'm in love

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ozu posted:

They can extend him now and according to OTC the 5th year option has to be exercised by May 3rd. From what I've read the Jets will be looking to extend Wilkerson this offseason and he's also in the 2011 class.

http://overthecap.com/looking-ahead-first-rookie-option-years/

So the 5th year option has to be exercised before he plays the 4th year? That's odd. Though in his case it doesn't matter because obviously they're going to exercise Watt's option

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Intruder posted:

The only thing Lance has ever accomplished besides terrible impressions is breaking the Haynesworth to Washington story because someone told him or, more likely, he guessed and got it right. (I guess he also had some pretty cool breakdowns of play designs when he worked for the Chronicle)

I'm reading this and drooling over Bridgewater even more

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/01/02/teddy-bridgewater-2014-nfl-draft/

quote:

said an NFL personnel executive who has known Bridgewater since ninth grade

what

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Wouldn't doubt it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Aside from the whole ninth grade thing, that's partly why while I like what I'm reading, I'm not taking this as the book on Teddy. All these praises are coming from people close to him like an executive who has scouted him for years now or his college coaches

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't doubt it

Alonzo Highsmith?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Regnevelc posted:

Alonzo Highsmith?

Possibly. Miami dudes stick together and I remember a huge poo poo storm about Bridgewater going to Louisville over the U.

Edit: Knowing Miami, I bet Alonzo dropped a couple of thousands on a few of Bridgewater's high school games while watching him play up in the stands.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Ha, no doubt he did.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Johnny Football is officially going pro.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Frinkahedron posted:

Johnny Football is officially going pro.

Smart move for him. I doubt another year would have improved his stock much.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Or the next Aaron Hernandez.

I would argue that the three years the Patriots got from Hernandez were worth the fourth.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NC-17 posted:

I would argue that the three years the Patriots got from Hernandez were worth the fourth.

I think you could argue that, though he didn't play a full season in any of his three years. If they could do it over, I don't think the Pats would draft him again.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Absolutely. The $7.5m in dead money for 2014 stings though.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Ozu posted:

The money ain't the only thing that's dead

:rimshot:

vvv Part of it is they cut him before he was ever convicted of anything, hell maybe before he was even indicted or arrested

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Ozu posted:

Jesus, they still have to count that? Did the Vikings have to eat cap space after Stringer died?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

pangstrom posted:

Jesus, they still have to count that? Did the Vikings have to eat cap space after Stringer died?

Most of the time dead money comes from bonus money paid up front but spread over a number of years on the cap. As such, it always has to eat up cap space, even with death or retirement because it is compensation that has already been doled out to the player.

VVVV It's based on what's already been paid to a player. You give a guy a big up-front bonus to sign with your team, that compensation has to count. It helps teams to spread it across multiple years but since it's already been paid there's no reason to absolve teams of dead money if things go wrong.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 8, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ozu posted:

There should really be an extra-ordinary circumstances for saving on player contracts if they murder someone. Didn't the Falcons get a lot of dead money after the Vick scandal?

TheChirurgeon posted:

Smart move for him. I doubt another year would have improved his stock much.

It wouldn't but it would have been a blast to watch. I think he realizes how much his o-line helped him out too. I wouldn't want to stick around in that offense without Matthews or Joeckel blocking for me.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

There should really be an extra-ordinary circumstances for saving on player contracts if they murder someone. Didn't the Falcons get a lot of dead money after the Vick scandal?
It went to the courts after Vick was indicted and convicted. I think he was still on contract until that point.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Quest For Glory II posted:

It went to the courts after Vick was indicted and convicted. I think he was still on contract until that point.

The team went to court to recover money paid to Vick, and I believe they got a $3M cap credit in 2012 as a result.

VVVV In order to recoup the money and get the cap credit, the Falcons had to continue to hold on to Vick's rights. By cutting Hernandez, the Patriots essentially gave up on this. They'd have had to take legal action down the line anyways, and it likely wasn't worth it to them.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 8, 2014

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Quest For Glory II posted:

I meant saving from the cap, not actually saving the money. I think it's a bit ridiculous that you're losing salary cap space because your tight end is sitting in prison awaiting a 25 to life sentence.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No more ridiculous than losing cap space because the DT you signed decided to be a lazy poo poo now that he's gotten paid

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

I meant saving from the cap, not actually saving the money. I think it's a bit ridiculous that you're losing salary cap space because your tight end is sitting in prison awaiting a 25 to life sentence.

If it was money they'd already paid him, I think it's fine. If it's just some weird stretch on guaranteed money for like 2014 and 2015 that he hasn't been paid, then it's loving stupid and Goodell should just go ahead and fix that.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think I'd be on board with the Chefs trading into the 20s to take Manziel. He would be a great fit for that offense. He almost certainly won't be there but still.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

bewbies posted:

I think I'd be on board with the Chefs trading into the 20s to take Manziel. He would be a great fit for that offense. He almost certainly won't be there but still.

I feel like Manziel's draft stock is still among the most variable at this point. Depending on how his interviews and combine go I feel like he could go top five or late round 2.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I feel like Manziel's draft stock is still among the most variable at this point. Depending on how his interviews and combine go I feel like he could go top five or late round 2.

No way Manziel drops out of the first round. Unless he like shows up drunk to his interviews.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

I'd be on board for the Giants trading Eli to the Rams, getting that Redskins first rounder, draft Manziel, then use their own first rounder on Mike Evans, then :regd08:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

I'd be on board for the Giants trading Eli to the Rams, getting that Redskins first rounder, draft Manziel, then use their own first rounder on Mike Evans, then :regd08:

At least Manziel is used to a terrible O-Line albeit not against NFL talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

bewbies posted:

They've got the 23rd pick, so they wouldn't even have to trade up. :)

I don't expect them to take Manziel, but it'd own a lot if he were playing for Andy Reid.

• Locked thread