Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cynic Jester posted:

Honestly, I figure the reason the dentist thing works is because with how immortality is depicted here, you'd blow of your head to fix your mouth as opposed to going to a dentist. The medical profession doesn't seem all that useful when you can cure everything with death.

this would make sense...if not for the fact that there are still some similar things to our world that don't make sense, like the police/army/whatever having the same kind of uniforms. There's no need to have that when you don't actually need protection from bullets and things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Genocyber posted:

this would make sense...if not for the fact that there are still some similar things to our world that don't make sense, like the police/army/whatever having the same kind of uniforms. There's no need to have that when you don't actually need protection from bullets and things.
The first thing that comes to mind is protection against disabling but not lethal injuries. There's already a certain doctrine stated by a real-life person that states it's better to cripple enemy soldiers than kill them, because then they become a burden to their own side. Likewise while they can just put a bullet in themselves, it's harder if they're suffering shock while slowly bleeding out. And that'd give the enemy more time to act.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kaja Rainbow posted:

The first thing that comes to mind is protection against disabling but not lethal injuries. There's already a certain doctrine stated by a real-life person that states it's better to cripple enemy soldiers than kill them, because then they become a burden to their own side. Likewise while they can just put a bullet in themselves, it's harder if they're suffering shock while slowly bleeding out. And that'd give the enemy more time to act.

This. There's a lot of crime that doesn't involve bodily harm and having forces trained to deal with them is pretty key, especially when the risk of bodily harm on the part of the offenders is minimal.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If we're going by the fact that civilians apparently have no trouble getting handguns in not-Japan, it's possible for them to handwave away firearms as being suicide/medical tools.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kaja Rainbow posted:

But wouldn't the only burden be "putting a bullet in the head of the disabled person"?

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Ytlaya posted:

But wouldn't the only burden be "putting a bullet in the head of the disabled person"?
I was only citing that as a real-world example of what I'm talking about. And not being disabled in the first place means they don't have to waste time and bullets doing that. Plus they aren't down one in a heated situation where there might not be much time to spare for getting to and shooting the disabled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-002-Read-Online?id=185528

...huh? What the hell is the matter with you, Miura?

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

why does there always have to be something creepy

why cant anything just be good

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

That is more then a little disturbing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Law Cheetah posted:

why does there always have to be something creepy

why cant anything just be good

...did she pee on him?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I've gotta admit, I liked it a lot better when Miura's most obvious fetish was for drawing highly detailed spreads of Griffith.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Sindai posted:

Two more chapters of Immortal Hounds (that series where everyone is immortal and losing your immortality is a communicable disease). The action sequences are pretty funny because nobody involved cares about dying: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Immortal-Hounds/Vol-001-Ch-004--Man--I-Really-Hate-Him?id=184790

I have mixed feelings on this. I'm curious about what direction they'll take with the world of immortals and I'm interested in the explanation for vectors but I didn't really care about the daily activities of the escape artist. Well a couple of immortal gunfights were funny, but after a while they're just a bit hollow because neither party has anything to fear.

Cynic Jester posted:

Honestly, I figure the reason the dentist thing works is because with how immortality is depicted here, you'd blow of your head to fix your mouth as opposed to going to a dentist. The medical profession doesn't seem all that useful when you can cure everything with death.

Another question is why their medicine is seemingly non-existent but their weapons seem the same as ours. If killing someone just means they resurrect in prime condition then surely you start designing weapons for debilitation rather than lethality? Which leads to a weird inversion of normal combat - in a world of immortals weapons that knock people unconscious are arguably more effective than weapons that kill people (depending on the rules for resurrections).

Yes animals don't resurrect so normal guns would still be good for hunting and maybe the absence of accidental casualties meant the idea of non-lethal weapons didn't really take off, but still I would've expected them to come up with something a little different.

Another possibility is if human immortality is a recent development then maybe their society had enough time to abolish the redundant medical professions, but not enough time to redevelop their weapons. And human immortality only occurring recently would explain why their society seems similar to ours rather than being massively different, but maybe that's reading into things too much.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're honestly surprised after reading any of Berserk I dunno what to say.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thread's been archived since it's been so long, but Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 28 came out finally.

E: :ohdear:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 15, 2014

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nate RFB posted:

Thread's been archived since it's been so long, but Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 21 came out finally.
Well that's certainly going to leave a plot hole.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Other thoughts: this would be a really bad time to have another 4 month delay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Are scanlations just lagging behind, or did the series go on hiatus?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like the raws are up to 32 according to the Extra Scans website.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 16, 2014

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

...did she pee on him?

Of course not. She just sprinkled nectar all over his body.

(I feel dirty just typing that)

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

Thread's been archived since it's been so long, but Maoyuu Maou Yuusha 28 came out finally.

E: :ohdear:

drat, Gateway turning up was awesome. The end was not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Elite posted:

(depending on the rules for resurrections).

One particularly interesting thing about the immortality in that series is that it also removes all blood/etc from the scene as well.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Suicide-Island/Vol-008-Ch-073--Intruder?id=185724

Seven new chapters of Suicide Island. They keep tiptoeing closer and closer to disaster, it's stressing me out.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shinjobi posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Suicide-Island/Vol-008-Ch-073--Intruder?id=185724

Seven new chapters of Suicide Island. They keep tiptoeing closer and closer to disaster, it's stressing me out.

Yeah. While I'm sure their shields/weapons will be pretty useful, this author doesn't seem to be the type that will let this sort of thing transpire without something really depressing happening. I imagine that hesitation to kill would be more of a factor than how good they are at fighting, since if both sides were equally committing to fighting they would probably have an easy time winning against Sawada's people, who are more or less completely unorganized; Kai even mentions that it's probably a bad idea to just spontaneously attack without any sort of plan. I think they mentioned that Sawada's side has more people, but I don't know if it was ever specified how big the difference is.

Then again, even if they did completely "win," they'd still be dealing with the psychological effects of killing a bunch of people. But I'm still expecting at least one or two key, named good characters to die.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Whatever happened to Scumbag Loser? Did the guy who made it drop that too?

Agent Baal
May 28, 2006

my dixie wrecked

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah. While I'm sure their shields/weapons will be pretty useful, this author doesn't seem to be the type that will let this sort of thing transpire without something really depressing happening. I imagine that hesitation to kill would be more of a factor than how good they are at fighting, since if both sides were equally committing to fighting they would probably have an easy time winning against Sawada's people, who are more or less completely unorganized; Kai even mentions that it's probably a bad idea to just spontaneously attack without any sort of plan. I think they mentioned that Sawada's side has more people, but I don't know if it was ever specified how big the difference is.

Then again, even if they did completely "win," they'd still be dealing with the psychological effects of killing a bunch of people. But I'm still expecting at least one or two key, named good characters to die.

I feel a little bad for thinking this, but the character I would miss the most would be Sei's dog, If he dies that would just break my heart

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Anatharon posted:

Whatever happened to Scumbag Loser? Did the guy who made it drop that too?

It's still getting updated infrequently.

EDIT: Can anyone help me remember the name of a manga? It was set in feudal Japan, about a fight between a one-armed guy and a blind guy. The whole story is a flashback of why they're fighting. I remember it was really gory and had an anime adaption that I don't think was very good.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jan 21, 2014

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

RatHat posted:

EDIT: Can anyone help me remember the name of a manga? It was set in feudal Japan, about a fight between a one-armed guy and a blind guy. The whole story is a flashback of why they're fighting. I remember it was really gory and had an anime adaption that I don't think was very good.

Shigurui.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

RatHat posted:

I would say Shigurui but that clearly can't be it because the anime adaptation of that manga was amazing. :colbert:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
poo poo hitting the fan in the new chapter of Boku wa Mari no Naka. :suspense:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jan 22, 2014

coathat
May 21, 2007

You might want to edit the link out. Chapter 23 has been out on Crunchyroll for a while.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent serious manga?

I liked/Enjoyed:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega

I didn't like:
- Claymore (i got bored of it half way through)
- Blame! (I read the first volume and wasn't really interested)

My friend is lending me bezerk next week, and someone recommended me Ants (spelling? i cannot find anything about it).

I am looking for some sort of sci-fi/dark fantasy.

(I swear i posted this somewhere but i can't find it)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I liked/Enjoyed:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega

I didn't like:

My friend is lending me bezerk next week, and someone recommended me Ants (spelling? i cannot find anything about it).

It's not sci-fi or fantasy, but you might like Vinland Saga. It's a historical fiction manga set in the late 900s/early 1000s about vikings and power struggles occurring at the time. It has great art, great battle scenes, and some really good character writing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

UberJumper posted:

I liked/Enjoyed:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega

I didn't like:

You might like 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. That and his other works are pretty good "serious" series.

Also, even though it isn't really sci-fi or anything, everything by Inio Asano is extremely good and he is easily the best manga artist/writer I know of. He's one of the only manga artists I know of who writes stories that are as good as what you might read in good novels (even really good comics usually have pretty sub-par writing when compared with good novels; the writing in games is similar).

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Battle Angel Alita. Post-Apocalyptic sci-fi about a girl exploding people with cyborg martial arts.

The original is finished, Last Order just got canceled, and we're supposed to get to Mars sometime in the near future when it relaunches again.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

UberJumper posted:

I liked/Enjoyed:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega

I didn't like:

Blame! is a serious slow burn compared to other Nihei stuff, I would not write it off so easily especially because it really doesn't get started until the second volume. Abara is pretty good though in getting the feeling of the crazy poo poo happening stuff from biomega.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012

UberJumper posted:

I liked/Enjoyed:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega

I didn't like:

Only sci-fi will do for you? If you're open to others genres, Kokou no Hito tells the story of a boy aiming to be the best mountain climber in the planet, while having to deal with mental scars, puberty, and growing up. Can be pretty dark an depressing at times, but it's really, really good and the art is one of the best out there.

Unknownone
Apr 23, 2003

Some stupid 04 bought me this

UberJumper posted:

someone recommended me Ants (spelling? i cannot find anything about it).

I'm assuming they meant "Gantz".

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

UberJumper posted:

Ugh... Gantz...

I don't know that it's even worth the disappointment. Started good, had a few good moments buried here and there in the series and then ended stupidly. I guess if you were gonna just marathon it all at once it would be tolerable, but I'd put it to the bottom of the pile.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Genocyber posted:

It's not sci-fi or fantasy, but you might like Vinland Saga. It's a historical fiction manga set in the late 900s/early 1000s about vikings and power struggles occurring at the time. It has great art, great battle scenes, and some really good character writing.

I read the first few chapters, and it just didn't click for me. Does it get more interesting later?

Ytlaya posted:

You might like 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa. That and his other works are pretty good "serious" series.

Thanks i will give this a shot.

Unknownone posted:

I'm assuming they meant "Gantz".

Yeah i figured that out last night, and.... :staredog: i didn't sleep at all, i burned through a hundred odd chapters in a single sitting. Honestly i read the summary of what it was about and was extremely skeptical (it sounded extremely stupid), and to top it off the chapter covers were pictures of pretty much almost completely naked girls. But its pretty drat interesting, the art is also top notch (i can actually see and understand clearly what is happening). There are some pretty :smith: moments though (i don't mind this at all though). Its dark and its grim, and i enjoy it.

Does anyone have an opinion on Eden: It's an Endless World!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

While not very Dark and Grim, Planetes is pretty good sci-fi with a good story. Same author as Vinland Saga. I liked both a lot though, so you might not be as keen on it either, but it's easy enough to try a few chapters.