Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Flavahbeast posted:

I fucken knew it :mad:

You caulk the army and float it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Decrepus posted:

You caulk the army and float it.

Your army overturns and is swept down stream. You lose two bane lords and a fire brand.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Lilli posted:

Your army overturns and is swept down stream. You lose two bane lords and a fire brand.

What how, did the bane lords drown :iiam:

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical

Neruz posted:

It's the river Styx, they're swept back to the underworld where they belong.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Neruz posted:

They didn't really drown, they're just pinned against a rock somewhere and can't be found.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Speleothing posted:

They didn't really drown, they're just pinned against a rock somewhere and can't be found.

Now I want a semi-rare random event where you find a barrel and upon opening it a Skeleton jumps out and joins you.

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
What would the best thing to wish for be? Other than more wishes?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Urban Sorcerer posted:

What would the best thing to wish for be? Other than more wishes?

definitely "whatever"

Burnsaber
Jan 16, 2011

I'm a wizard and
I don't pee.
I'm a videogame

MagnumOpus posted:

With the sale today I finally managed to convince a bunch of my friends to pick up this game but half of them don't have SA accounts so I guess GGS is out for us. I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the other options (Dom4Minions, Llamaserver, etc) and the hosting script pastebin in the OP is dead. Is anyone familiar with them that can compare their features and ease of use?

Here is a FAQ on how to use the llamaserver. I like llamaserver, but that might just be due to 4 years of conditioning. http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=1890

There is probably one for dom4minions but I don't use it myself so it would take effort to dig it out.

EDIT: you might want to make sure that all of you have upgraded to 4.04 before sending pretenders, or odd things might happen!

Burnsaber fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 8, 2014

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

TheDemon posted:

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

66% off on gamersgate for 24 hours. That's $11.90 USD. And yes, gamersgate keys can be activated on Steam.

Reminding everyone of this from a few pages back because it has only an hour to go. I can definitely confirm that Gamersgate provides you with a Steam-redeemable key.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp
Any chance someone bought multiple copies to resell them to goons who will invariably miss the sale by mere hours? I haven't played Dom3 in over a year and the itch is back.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

I Love You! posted:

definitely "whatever"

Did Dom 4 allow for more wish options?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I want to wish for a comet to hit a province.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

I want to wish for a comet to hit a province.

Great Gift from Heaven. Better hope it hits the province you were aiming at.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It would be even better if it was two-stage. First the comet smashes the 99%, and then the aliens come out and zap the rest.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
No, clearly it causes major unrest for 12 months or so, plus turmoil and misfortune, because it makes the province unstable, THEN it has a chance to gently caress up the province gently caress up the province.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
The Giant Fetish has a pretty great attack animation.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Hah, the nation specific pretenders always seem to have the best style. It's a shame I've never seen that one used. It's a great EN blesser, but does Machaka even work with an EN bless?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Their only sacred troops are cap only, and they're not exactly overwhelming ones either.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It can also be a beefy SC, as good or better than many of the Neters available to Machaka.

Edit: Mindless can count for a lot.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 9, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
E/N is probably the best spiders double bless. Not sure if putting your eggs in the Black Hunter basket is a good idea, but if it is that bless combo works well for them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I don't know any mage heavy nation that would turn their nose down at an E bless. You would have to get some shrouds though.
Then again, Machaka does have the paths necessary for easy reinvig boosters, so maybe not.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 9, 2014

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Mecharasputin posted:

Any chance someone bought multiple copies to resell them to goons who will invariably miss the sale by mere hours? I haven't played Dom3 in over a year and the itch is back.

50% off on GamersGate all weekend.

Mecharasputin
May 30, 2009

Ultra Carp

Wolfsbane posted:

50% off on GamersGate all weekend.

Fantastic, thank you! :D

I did make an account on GGS (same as my name here) way back when (~2 years ago), but can't remember which email I used when registering. I tried a bunch in the password recovery window but have not received anything back yet. Any advice?

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What are other bless heavy nations people would recommend? When I think bless I immediately think jags so my expectations are skewed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Donkringel posted:

What are other bless heavy nations people would recommend? When I think bless I immediately think jags so my expectations are skewed.

Vanheim can pull a brutal triple-bless with ponymans.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Neruz posted:

Vanheim can pull a brutal triple-bless with ponymans.

That was just a silly thing, I don't actually recommend triple blessed ponymen. If you are going to get a bless for ponymen, I suggest a thugbless of N9E4 (or E6) and scales.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can't wait for EA Rus to come out with their sacred bear berserkers.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm curious about something: I hate Desura and have a Steam account that I love (because it's Steam). Didn't know the game was even ON Steam until just now. Does anyone have any luck in contacting Illwinter and getting the dev dude to exchange one for the other? I'd absolutely kill to consolidate it onto my Steam account in lieu of having to deal with Desura every time I want to install it.

edit:

goatface posted:

You can transfer over to steam with the cd key you get from desura. No idea if it manages the updates properly though.

Holy poo poo, that answers my question.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have since done that, and it seemed to handle the updating part fine.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
What's with the early/middle/late age divide? Is it just for balancing purposes?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Each era has, like, a wildly different feel to it. EA is all magic, beasts, giants, tons-of-magic-paths-and-crappy-armour, with a lot of elemental magic. LA is significantly less "magical" and most nations have human troops, but significantly better armour, with a lot of death magic. MA is somewhere in the middle, with a lot of blood magic.

Thematically, each nation pretty much either declines (e.g Abysia, Ermor) or civilizes (e.g. Bogarus, Pangaea) as time passes from EA to LA.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Gamersgate sale dropped the price below £10, which was low enough to get me to see if I'll get on with Dominions. I expect I'll love trying to figure out tactics and working out battlemagic, and then it'll come down to if I can get my brain around the grand strategy and put up with the micro....

I will be avoiding the freespawn nations, I think. Any reason I shouldn't use Man for my initial forays against the AI? I am under the impression they're kind of bad, but also that this shouldn't really matter for SP and I like the flavour.

Oh and hi brainwrinkle, I'm an actual person, and stuff.

edit: OK, having attempted to make an actual build for Man I probably figured out why I might not want to use them, namely that they don't appear to have any sacreds worth blessing so I can't exactly use standard Dom4 strategies. I have a bunch of non-StR mages (though I can see I may want some of the StR Crones eventually once I've got another fort up) which is probably a good thing but my basic troops seem fairly weak (I'm experimenting to find out whether the Logrian Warriors are better than my extremely generic Spearmen, not sure there's a huge amount in it). That would suggest I want an Awake SC pretender, but I can't do that and fix my total lack of magic diversity without pretty poor scales. My first attempt came up with something like Red Dragon, F4 D3 Dom 7 Turmoil 1 Production 3 Drain 1, which doesn't seem quite right but eh, it's a first attempt. What did I miss?

Ilanin fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 10, 2014

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Ilanin posted:

Gamersgate sale dropped the price below £10, which was low enough to get me to see if I'll get on with Dominions. I expect I'll love trying to figure out tactics and working out battlemagic, and then it'll come down to if I can get my brain around the grand strategy and put up with the micro....

I will be avoiding the freespawn nations, I think. Any reason I shouldn't use Man for my initial forays against the AI? I am under the impression they're kind of bad, but also that this shouldn't really matter for SP and I like the flavour.

Oh and hi brainwrinkle, I'm an actual person, and stuff.

edit: OK, having attempted to make an actual build for Man I probably figured out why I might not want to use them, namely that they don't appear to have any sacreds worth blessing so I can't exactly use standard Dom4 strategies. I have a bunch of non-StR mages (though I can see I may want some of the StR Crones eventually once I've got another fort up) which is probably a good thing but my basic troops seem fairly weak (I'm experimenting to find out whether the Logrian Warriors are better than my extremely generic Spearmen, not sure there's a huge amount in it). That would suggest I want an Awake SC pretender, but I can't do that and fix my total lack of magic diversity without pretty poor scales. My first attempt came up with something like Red Dragon, F4 D3 Dom 7 Turmoil 1 Production 3 Drain 1, which doesn't seem quite right but eh, it's a first attempt. What did I miss?

First off, go Drain 2. There's no downside for your researchers and you get more points.

Second off, bless strats aren't really "standard" so much as "important to be able to deal with", and Man has a good answer to them in the form of Tower Guards that let you play your own game. No one really wants to throw themselves against a wall of heavily armed/armored crossbowmen and they'll all-purpose enough that if you just make them and set them to hold position and fire you're probably going to do fine in the early bless rush phases with only a reasonable amount of support.

Third off Wait are you MA or LA

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I don't think you ever really want to take off paths with dragons. Also, which age? I think MA has wardens of Avalon, which I believe are pretty solid sacreds.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Paths aren't that bad for dragons if you want them to self buff.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007
Hey, just picked this up after playing Dom3 single player a bunch. So, is there a mod browser for Dom 4 similar to Dom 3? I seem to recall someone posting it many pages back, but can't find it. It would probably be a good resource to add to the initial post, if so.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

When you say a mod browser, do you mean the unit/item/spell list "mod inspector" thing?

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

Otherwise, I don't know if there's any mods out for Dom4. Eagerly awaiting CBM, though :q:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

I Love You! posted:

First off, go Drain 2. There's no downside for your researchers and you get more points.

Third off Wait are you MA or LA

Yeah, it's important to note that only LA "benefits" from Drain.

Really, MA and LA man are utterly different to each other in terms of mages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You should do a w9 bless on a red dragon for acid rain spam!

(I want to see somebody actually do this)

• Locked thread