Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Xenserver.

Its got the Citrix logo plastered all over it too.

What was the reason you switched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Wicaeed posted:

What's the general consensus on Xen vs VMware's price/features?

I have a coworker who discovered that the Free version of Xen offers many of the same options that the paid versions of VMware require a license for (HA/vMotion-esque transfers between hosts).

I'm mainly a VMware guy, and had hoped to get our company to start using it in our production environment, however the licensing costs required to use everything we want to use is quite high.

Xenserver sucks, yes it is free now but if you ever deal with working with it is a clunky mess. It can't compete with Vmware reliability, and performance. HA on Xen Server can actually poo poo itself quite easily. Citrix/XenDesktop is great at VDI, VMware is great at hypervisors(and catching up in VDI).

Hint: There is a reason it went open source. I'd rather use hyper-V over it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Dec 27, 2013

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Xenserver works fine. I'd prefer VMware but there is nothing inherently wrong with xenserver.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Xenserver sucks, yes it is free now but if you ever deal with working with it is a clunky mess. It can't compete with Vmware reliability, and performance. HA on Xen Server can actually poo poo itself quite easily. Citrix/XenDesktop is great at VDI, VMware is great at hypervisors(and catching up in VDI).

This is ludicrously biased and full of marketing-speak. I don't like XenServer much either, but for other reasons.

It went open source because it's commoditized and they want synergy with XenCloudplatform (which you should use instead at any rate).

The biggest wart about XenServer is XenCenter, but the Infrastructure Client is just as bad these days. And the screwy uuided LVM volumes. But on "performance" and "reliability" it's drat close to VMware and ahead on some benchmarks (performance is mostly irrelevant except in extremely tuned environments)

You should use XCP instead of XenServer, but XenServer's feature set is miles ahead of Hyper-V and somewhat behind vmware. If you're too big for Essentials or Essentials Plus and too small for Enterprise, XCP or XenServer may be a great fit.

E:

I should say that XenServer is somewhat badly documented and has a fair amount of edge cases in large environments, but you probably won't run into them if licensing costs are an issue for your team

evol262 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 27, 2013

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Any thoughts on the "OS level" virtualization options like OpenVZ? My company currently rents a bunch of OpenVZ VPSes from a provider that we've been a bit unhappy with recently, and our use of them has expanded such that it seems like it might be worth looking in to coloing our own boxes.

The use is Asterisk boxes where the customers only see a web control panel, but due to Asterisk's lovely multi-tenancy support we need each customer instance to think they have root on their own private machine. Only our staff ever sees the CLI, so the shared kernel and such aren't as big of a deal. All we need is a way to keep separate customers' Asterisk instances separate and allow guests previously on a failed box to be booted up elsewhere. Live migration is a huge plus, but not really a requirement.

Is there a good reason to still choose a lower-level solution like KVM or Xen when every guest will be nearly identical? Are competitors like LXC mature enough to consider realistically?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

wolrah posted:

Is there a good reason to still choose a lower-level solution like KVM or Xen when every guest will be nearly identical? Are competitors like LXC mature enough to consider realistically?

Isolation.

LXC is mainline and used by Docker, among others. lmctfy is fundamentally similar. LXC+SElinux offers more guarantees, but ring -1 virtualization will always be more secure.

Additionally, running different kernel versions can have advantages.

Admittedly, Asterisk is a finicky beast, and running identical kernels with patches can be a benefit.

But yeah, LXC is stable and well-used.

TwoDeer
Jan 13, 2005

Moey posted:

Xen or XenServer? Two different things.

Xen is an opensource hypervisor. XenServer is Citrix's implementation of Xen. About 5 months back or so Citrix decided to release XenServer entirely for free, just pay for support if you want it.

I am just finishing a XenServer to vSphere migration and let me tell you, I will not be missing out on XenServer.

Citrix tends to tout Hyper-V for the hypervisor when doing VDI deployments with XenDesktop, rather than XenServer. I do not miss XenServer.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Wicaeed posted:

What was the reason you switched?

I found it to be less reliable where the hypervisor itself would lock up every few months on random boxes. Very well could have been due to my coworkers lovely deployment. I wouldn't call it crap, but VMware is the industry leader for many reasons. We are also running a View environment, so I found it to make sense to have our servers run on the same hypervisor.

For the price it is compelling, but it you have some money to spend, I much rather go with vSphere.

How big is your environment and what kind of workloads are you looking to virtualize?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Posted about this over in SSD Thread as well, but wanted to see if anyone had heard anything new about forcing TRIM / garbage collection on ESXi SSD datastores? This sort of looks like you can use vmkfstools to force some kind of garbage collection?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

evol262 posted:

This is ludicrously biased and full of marketing-speak. I don't like XenServer much either, but for other reasons.

HA can literally gently caress itself over if the master fails improperly or doesn't respond correctly. It's no where near as good as FDM.

movax posted:

Posted about this over in SSD Thread as well, but wanted to see if anyone had heard anything new about forcing TRIM / garbage collection on ESXi SSD datastores? This sort of looks like you can use vmkfstools to force some kind of garbage collection?

I've heard of something like this but little to none of the deploys I have done have SSD in the hosts, or any storage for that matter aside from a 16Gb SD card. However, there is some nice use for SSD's in hosts for VDI. Might look into it.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 28, 2013

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
I'm also unsure what the state is of VAAI unmap -> TRIM. I just don't know whether it's an adapter/controller, or device firmware function that will associate the two together. If there is one, then sure, it'll work as hoped. Given that user's experience, it certainly looks like it, but I'm leery about saying it's going to work, or be the same experience across all TRIM-enabled disks.
Edit: It's a roadmapped item and of interest. That much I can at say.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

HA can literally gently caress itself over if the master fails improperly or doesn't respond correctly. It's no where near as good as FDM.
Granted, but also a problem with Hyper-V and RHEV (maybe, depending on SPM), and it's not that likely in small environments which need to worry about licensing costs

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
edit: I'm dumb, just remembered I uninstalled the old version thinking I didn't need it

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 30, 2013

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

thebigcow posted:

I have two esxi 5.1u1 servers in the office and the 5.5 client installed on my workstation. This morning I tried to connect to one of the servers and the client prompts me to download an "update" and will not allow me to connect to either until I run it. The file appears to be the installer for the 5.1 vsphere client.

I can't find anything on vmware's website about this. What the heck?
In VMware's world, client/server versions are kept in sync, so you use a separate client version to connect to each version of ESXi/vCenter that you want to manage. It keeps them all installed concurrently and will automatically choose the right one to connect with based on the version of what you're connecting to.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Just upgraded the RAM in the server I keep in my basement for testing. Any suggestions on what to actually do with this thing? It's not like running a Starbound server actually uses 80GB of RAM and 24 threads.

:smaug:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

KillHour posted:

Just upgraded the RAM in the server I keep in my basement for testing. Any suggestions on what to actually do with this thing? It's not like running a Starbound server actually uses 80GB of RAM and 24 threads.

Hadoop, data warehousing, general big data analysis stuff

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

bitcoin, seti@home and folding@home.

Thanks for this,
-Your local power company

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

bitcoin, seti@home and folding@home.

Thanks for this,
-Your local power company

All are CPU killers. None really eat memory, sadly

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Get yourself some rainbow tables and learn a little about security.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Bhodi posted:

Get yourself some rainbow tables and learn a little about security.

I design security systems for a living (both physical and virtual). I've done more than my fair share of playing around with hashcat. :)

I'd like to put it to good use rather than just burning electricity, if possible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
My domain is blah.thing.edu. Because blah is also the name of my department at the school of thing, it's the URL of our public website and other things. That means I can't have AD update the DNS a records for blah.thing.edu. So I manually made ad.blah.thing.edu with two A records pointing to my two domain controllers, which is what MS DNS does on its own with blah.thing.edu if you let it.

So I put ad.blah.thing.edu as the auth server for VMware SSO, and today for reasons one of our domain controllers was down. While the DC was down vCenter was unable to authenticate. How is this "supposed" to be setup to authenticate against AD?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Bob Morales posted:

Not sure if this is a SAN question or VMware question but I'll start here first.

We have a pair of NetApp FAS2020's, one in our office and one at the recovery site. We also have VMware servers at both locations.

We want to test a few things (mainly if our backup web server will talk to our backup database server) but I'm running into a problem: the two NetApps have a SnapMirror configured between the two of them with all of our VM datastores on them.

Of course, the SnapMirror at the recovery site is read-only. That means I can't break the mirror to fire up the VM's and test. I could, but we've got a 10mb link and there's like 3TB of crap so it'd take a month to get it copied back over, unless the SnapMirror is smart enough to not require that.

If I have some unallocated space, can I carve out 100GB or something on the recovery site NetApp and copy the two VM datastores I need from the SnapMirror, so I can play with those without having to re-create or re-sync the mirror?

Usually you use FlexClone ($$$ license on the NetApp) to make a zero-space copy of the SnapMirrored volume, which is R/W and you can do all of your testing. Then you delete the FlexClone volume and it just goes away, leaving your pristine SnapMirror volume untouched the whole time.

Without FlexClone, your options are more limited. You could make a new volume on the destination side, and then use a non-VMware tool (Linux - mount both volumes and copy) to copy VMs out of the SnapMirror volume and dump them into the dummy volume for testing.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

My domain is blah.thing.edu. Because blah is also the name of my department at the school of thing, it's the URL of our public website and other things. That means I can't have AD update the DNS a records for blah.thing.edu. So I manually made ad.blah.thing.edu with two A records pointing to my two domain controllers, which is what MS DNS does on its own with blah.thing.edu if you let it.

So I put ad.blah.thing.edu as the auth server for VMware SSO, and today for reasons one of our domain controllers was down. While the DC was down vCenter was unable to authenticate. How is this "supposed" to be setup to authenticate against AD?

How long was the outage of the DC's? Also did you get any error messages?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

How long was the outage of the DC's? Also did you get any error messages?

AD also sets up a number of SRV records pointing to (IIRC) _msdcs.example.com

tcp.ldap._msdcs, for example

PLUS A records for the domain root

E:

Sorry Dilbert, Awful is awful. That was meant as a reply to Fishmanpet

evol262 fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 8, 2014

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The SRV records are all setup properly, it's just that one A record I had to manually create myself.

As for the outage, it was since Saturday (which I just discovered today, lol monitoring). As for the actual error message, I didn't save it, but it said something about not being able to reach identity source.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

As for the outage, it was since Saturday (which I just discovered today, lol monitoring). As for the actual error message, I didn't save it, but it said something about not being able to reach identity source.

I'd have a hunch to say it may have had something to do with a prolonged outage; but I'm not 100% sure.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

The SRV records are all setup properly, it's just that one A record I had to manually create myself.

The A records should just be a backup. Identity should look up all LDAP srv records. Do you have delegated control of the root for the sub domain?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have all the SRV records in DNS properly. The domain itself functions fine, I just don't know what I'm supposed to be usingn to populate the server list for SSO.

If I put in the IPs of the individual domain controllers, I can't every change the domain controllers, because as far as I can tell there's no way to change the servers for an identity source.

If I use the A record for the domain, it won't work if one of the domain controllers is down, which ignores the whole point of having a hostname with multiple A records.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

What was the problem VMware SSO was supposed to solve again? Stuff working correctly too often?

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Erwin posted:

What was the problem VMware SSO was supposed to solve again? Stuff working correctly too often?

Three rebuilds of one of my vcenter servers later and all I have to add to this is fffffffff

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Erwin posted:

Key VMware partners were complaining that there weren't enough complex features driving professional services engagements.

(Please don't sue me for libel!)

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
As an MSP, I'm pretty fond of SSO for our clients. But then, we didn't go through an upgrade to 5.1, we did a new install when we moved to it so we avoided most of the pain.
We'll see how it goes when we upgrade to 5.5 this quarter.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

I'm thing of reducing the ram our VCenter appliance has assigned from 8G to 4G as we only have two hosts and about 15 vms monitored by it. Is it necessary to manually adjust the java heap values or should it run ok with just reducing the ram ?

edit: its 5.1 appliance if that makes any difference

jre fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 9, 2014

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I don't know about vCenter in particular, but it's never a good idea to tell Java that it can allocate more RAM than actually exists. Unless you want to get on the next train to Swap City.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jre posted:

I'm thing of reducing the ram our VCenter appliance has assigned from 8G to 4G as we only have two hosts and about 15 vms monitored by it. Is it necessary to manually adjust the java heap values or should it run ok with just reducing the ram ?

Just to clarify, is this a normal Windows Server + vCenter install or are you using the vCenter Virtual Appliance?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

jre posted:

If the linux appliance I'd vouch against going to 4Gb, I've set it to 6Gb on occasions. Also is this update 1 or GA release, update one did help reduce the memory requirements I'd say no less that 6Gb.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

If the linux appliance I'd vouch against going to 4Gb, I've set it to 6Gb on occasions. Also is this update 1 or GA release, update one did help reduce the memory requirements I'd say no less that 6Gb.
We run 4 gigs on a 10 host cluster.

Mausi
Apr 11, 2006

Erwin posted:

I'm just testing on the 5.5.0b binaries now, and they've finally added the Windows AD as an identity source by default, hurrah!
I find the new SSO better than the first one by a couple of miles, but it's still very much a version 1.0 product, much like the VUM PSCLI.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If I've got a vCenter 5.1 install, and I want 5.5, should I upgrade or setup a new server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

My 5.1 -> 5.5 went swimmingly, but I have a simple environment.