Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

He's worried about inflation being too low but he's glad that consumer are spending less? Can someone tell me why these two things should be mutually exclusive? Or is our new Governor loving dumb?

Macroeconomics is a black art to me, but it seems to me that those could easily be thought of as orthogonal.

• low inflation is bad because it's close to zero, which is close to negative => end up in a deflationary spiral.
  • consumers overspending => creates risk in the financial system, steals consumption from the future, less investment in useful enterprises, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
My concern would be housing costs crowding out other consumption. Hence, discourage housing consumption through rate hikes, and hopefully divert consumption elsewhere. Unfortunately, Canada's housing market is in Stage 5 Tulipmania, and nothing like that will work or save the day.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Dear Calgary condo market: please feel free to crash about a year from now so I can buy something for a good price. :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So our rich friends just bought a house in Kitimat at a ridiculous price for what it is and WHERE it loving is because there's going to be a boom there and they're going to make tons of money. I don't know anything about Kitimat but the whole thing strikes me as a very bad idea.

At the same time they want to sell their mansion here but surprise, the market currently isn't paying what it's "really worth" so they're going to rent it out until the prices come back up to where they should be.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Baronjutter posted:

So our rich friends just bought a house in Kitimat at a ridiculous price for what it is and WHERE it loving is because there's going to be a boom there and they're going to make tons of money. I don't know anything about Kitimat but the whole thing strikes me as a very bad idea.

At the same time they want to sell their mansion here but surprise, the market currently isn't paying what it's "really worth" so they're going to rent it out until the prices come back up to where they should be.

Your rich friends are about to become your formerly rich friends.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Kitimat

Everyone wants to move there. World class oil and lumber infrastructure. The Luanda of Canada.

I really gotta know. What do your friends do and how much did they pay?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Macroeconomics is a black art to me, but it seems to me that those could easily be thought of as orthogonal.

• low inflation is bad because it's close to zero, which is close to negative => end up in a deflationary spiral.
  • consumers overspending => creates risk in the financial system, steals consumption from the future, less investment in useful enterprises, etc

Oh I understand that inflation is currently too low. However Poloz is going to have a hard time getting it up if he's going to depend on consumer spending. I mean, we're not exactly printing money right now and we should be.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't know any of the details just the general plan to buy now, fix it up and ride the boom to make big big money.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know any of the details just the general plan to buy now, fix it up and ride the boom to make big big money.

Fix it up??? In loving Kitimat???? Are they going to import cheap foreign labour and sail the materials up in their own private barge? What in hell

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Baronjutter posted:

Would your friends perhaps be interested in investing in a libertarian dragon-island-paradise?

It sounds like they are being very thorough in considering all the developmental obstacles here, so I can imagine they'd be thrilled to hear about such an opportunity.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Baronjutter posted:

These sorts of anecdotes trouble me the most about Canada's economic future. Wide swaths of the country, especially young people at the height of their ambition/energy, think that the best way to generate wealth is to get the timing right on purchasing a structure of rotting particleboard, and flipping it down the line.

As opposed to, you know, starting a business or something actually productive.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Luanda is a fast growing boom town? How is it comparable to any place in BC?

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Baronjutter posted:

The precast concrete plant I work at is in the last stages of production for Alcan's Kitimat Modernization Project. The new smelter is a fuckton bigger than the old one. That's probably the information they're going on.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
House prices Assessment values in Kitimat increased by 27% over last year, that's the information they're going off of.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Throatwarbler posted:

Luanda is a fast growing boom town? How is it comparable to any place in BC?

Luanda is the most expensive place to live *in the world* (in 2012).
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16815605

It's also a loving shithole. Kinda like Kitimat.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state
There is a very easy way to determine whether a crash is imminent. Just take a few taxi rides and talk to taxi drivers. If they start talking about investing in real estate, poo poo is going to get serious very soon.

I'm not kidding. This is exactly what happened in my country as well.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
Go away, Thomas Friedman.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Paper Mac posted:

Go away, Thomas Friedman.

OK OK I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I'm just a bit worried about my sister who lives in Canada and is waiting for her second child. She and her husband have a plan to buy a house but at this stage it seems there are only bad options for them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OhYeah posted:

There is a very easy way to determine whether a crash is imminent. Just take a few taxi rides and talk to taxi drivers. If they start talking about investing in real estate, poo poo is going to get serious very soon.

I'm not kidding. This is exactly what happened in my country as well.

No poo poo, I haven't taken a cab for years but the last time I did the driver was proudly telling us about how him and his brother and a friend had saved up and are buying a house up-island that they're going to fix up because they're all talented handymen, rent out as they ride the bubble up then sell for a killing because taxi money just isn't good enough for him.

It was a perfect trifecta.

-Think they can fix the house up them selves so are looking at the renovation as nearly free.
-Think being landlords for a property in another city is at all a good idea.
-Think a lovely town up island is going to become the next big thing just because they read an article about how CHINESE INVESTMENT is coming soon.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

OhYeah posted:

OK OK I'm sorry, couldn't resist. I'm just a bit worried about my sister who lives in Canada and is waiting for her second child. She and her husband have a plan to buy a house but at this stage it seems there are only bad options for them.

I agree with you, I'm just joking about the taxi driver thing. Every other conversation someone strikes up with me these days is about the housing market, it's pretty tedious. I have a couple friends who have been spending all their off hours doing renos on run down 80s condos and flipping them, too.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Paper Mac posted:

I agree with you, I'm just joking about the taxi driver thing. Every other conversation someone strikes up with me these days is about the housing market, it's pretty tedious. I have a couple friends who have been spending all their off hours doing renos on run down 80s condos and flipping them, too.

I struggle to comprehend how flipping is profitable, especially nowadays (easier in 2000-2007 one presumes). The transaction costs of real estate are bloody enormous. A few thousand here and there for legalities, land transfer tax, incidentals, and realtor bastards - and pretty soon you're talking real money. And that's before the actual 'value add' of the renovation itself.

How on earth is it possible to make money doing this, especially on condos?

Diamato
Jul 17, 2006

Everybody's got a price for the Million Dollar Man

Baronjutter posted:

-Think a lovely town up island is going to become the next big thing just because they read an article about how CHINESE INVESTMENT is coming soon.

Nanaimo.jpg

Although since I lasted posted a month or so ago everyone has mysteriously stopped talking about this so who knows.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Lexicon posted:

I struggle to comprehend how flipping is profitable, especially nowadays (easier in 2000-2007 one presumes). The transaction costs of real estate are bloody enormous. A few thousand here and there for legalities, land transfer tax, incidentals, and realtor bastards - and pretty soon you're talking real money. And that's before the actual 'value add' of the renovation itself.

No clue. I really hate these conversations so I didn't ask how much money they made, but I was told by a buddy who has done this twice over the last 12 months that it had been "very profitable" for him, whatever that means. I have the feeling that if he accounted for his time and the friends he dragooned into working for him for beer and pizza, it wouldn't look so hot, but I don't know enough about it to say.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Diamato posted:

Nanaimo.jpg

Although since I lasted posted a month or so ago everyone has mysteriously stopped talking about this so who knows.

Maybe they figured out that no one in China has ever heard of Nanaimo.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

HookShot posted:

Maybe they figured out that no one in China has ever heard of Nanaimo.

Which is a shame, since it's dead easy to pronounce in Mandarin!

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Lexicon posted:

They sell it/rent it out for a ridiculously inflated price?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Franks Happy Place posted:

Which is a shame, since it's dead easy to pronounce in Mandarin!

That might be what started the rumours!

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
edit: whups!

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^^ Wrong thread I think. :confused:

OhYeah posted:

They sell it/rent it out for a ridiculously inflated price?

I think you may have missed the point.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Lexicon posted:

^^ Wrong thread I think. :confused:

I think you may have missed the point.

Quite possible. It's 2:45 AM here and I'm falling asleep. What did I miss?

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack
I just remembered he was talking about having to replace all the plumbing and electrical in the condo.. if it was that run down, he might have got it for not much, fixed it up to some serviceable standard, and got a couple hundred k on the sale. One was down on the lakeshore (TO) and the other was uptown somewhere.

StoicRomance
Jan 3, 2013

If your condo is a block away from a river that flooded Calgary, your assessed property value might have just dropped by 50%.

Ha ha! I'm poor now!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People just hear about the ridiculous success stories and think thats the norm.

My parents neighbours house was lived in by some great retired people, it was the family home for like 3 generations. It also received nearly no upkeep and the husband turned out to be a hoarder. After he died she put it up for sale and decided to not go with the highest bidder but to go with this just darling nice 20-something couple who were just so honest and nice and it was their first home. No alarm bells as to how a couple who both worked fairly "low end" jobs could afford a 600k house.

Kid was basically just an employee of a professional flipper who actually paid all the money and the guy just got to live in the house while working in it doing the renos. Not actually a bad people at all, but there was a strong sense they all sort of manipulated the widow.

They put in some good work and apparently just under 100k worth of renos then sold the thing for about 950k. This is all fairly recently too, like 2012. Everyone thinks they over-paid big time but for the couple and their boss they made out like bandits. Now some rich old couple live in this massive house they massively over-paid for. It's assessed closer to the pre-reno value.

People hear stories like this and think "I'll be making over 100k a year flipping houses!" and jump in. People also think the crash is "over" and now is the time to jump in and ride the next bubble.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Royal lepage says buy a house you assholes.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...rticle16252115/

quote:

“We predict continued upward pressure on home prices as we move towards the all-important spring market,” Royal LePage CEO Phil Soper stated in a press release.

“In addition to normal demand, housing prices in Canada this year will be influenced by buyers who put off purchase plans in the very soft spring of 2013. Talk of a ‘soft landing’ for Canada’s real estate market in the new year is misguided. We expect no landing, no slowdown, and no correction in the near-term. Conditions are ripe for as strong a market as we saw in the post-recessionary rebound of the last decade.”

Canada’s housing market never officially tipped into buyer’s market territory during the correction that ensued beginning in the summer of 2012, but it was fairly close, hovering on the edge between a balanced market and a buyer’s market as determined by the ratio between sales and new listings, Mr. Soper said in an interview. During the latter half of last year sales volumes increased faster than new listings, and the market remained in balanced territory but tipped towards becoming a seller’s market.

“This is the most optimistic view of the housing market since the recession, that’s in half a decade,” he said.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Lexicon posted:

It's pretty much only reliably profitable if you're in the runup phase of a bubble. But you'll find no shortage of people who tell you that Canada is different, don't you know, so it's not a bubble.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Lexicon posted:

The transaction costs of real estate are bloody enormous. A few thousand here and there for ... realtor bastards - and pretty soon you're talking real money.

Realtor fees were about 12k on my recently sold condo in BC (7% on first 100k, 2% thereafter -- and that was after negotiating). My realtor was awesome and super professional and got me more than I had hoped for in way less time than I had expected, but that plus closing costs basically wiped out the small amount of appreciation my place had accumulated over 3 years. Do never buy, etc.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

tagesschau posted:

It's pretty much only reliably profitable if you're in the runup phase of a bubble. But you'll find no shortage of people who tell you that Canada is different, don't you know, so it's not a bubble.

Are there any examples in history where this sort of thing didn't end in a horrible crash? I can't think of any.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

OhYeah posted:

Are there any examples in history where this sort of thing didn't end in a horrible crash? I can't think of any.

It's different this time.

Those other places didn't have the same immigration we did.

Vancouver has unique geography, they aren't making more land.

My REALTOR said...

The Banks said...

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Baronjutter posted:

It's different this time.

Those other places didn't have the same immigration we did.

Vancouver has unique geography, they aren't making more land.

My REALTOR said...

The Banks said...

Prepare for a lawsuit for leaving (R) off of REALTOR(R)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My LAWYER(R) said they don't have a LEG(TM) to stand on.