Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rosters came out for our new season and I'm captaining again. My team has 14 skaters. How in the hell am I supposed to juggle these lines assuming they all show up for a game? 9 skaters is good, 10 is ideal, and anything more than that is too drat many players and not enough ice time for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

9 forwards, 5 defense. Done.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Rosters came out for our new season and I'm captaining again. My team has 14 skaters. How in the hell am I supposed to juggle these lines assuming they all show up for a game? 9 skaters is good, 10 is ideal, and anything more than that is too drat many players and not enough ice time for everyone.

Don't worry, they'll only all show up for playoff games.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

How likely is it that they all show up for a game honestly?

I'd rotate the extra person through the D as long as you have 5 skaters you'd feel comfortable with being your last frontier and starting your breakouts. If you don't, then gently caress it, rotate the person through the forward lines. People are going to be butthurt either way honestly.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would pass all comments to the league. Or if you don't want to be captain again just give the team the email address of the director(s) directly and encourage them to share their thoughts early and often.

Our league tried to do this so we started paying the team fee and rostering 11 people. It's more expensive for everyone but a guarantee for 2 solid lines with at most one extra player.

And yeah, rotate someone through the D. It's the most fair thing to do when you've got the D allowed to play every other shift and some people waiting 4 shifts to play on offense when they're the one sitting for the extra shift.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Three weeks without games due to the holidays, got two tonight at 8 PM and 10:45. Nice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I haven't played in like a month, there's basically no open hockey here over the holidays. I'm going to die Friday when I finally have a game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Past two weeks have been great for me.. I was on the ice five times between Christmas and New Years.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
My rookie league had one week off between Christmas and New Years, now that we had a game last Friday we've got 3 weeks off until the end of January for some stupid reason. :argh:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

First game in two weeks was last night. I'm happy with how I played. I didn't Hartnell once. Also I realized I need shin tape.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

I just found this thread and it's incredible. I've been going through adult newbie classes here in Australia and it's been so much fun. Due to barely having a national league, let alone a hockey culture it's been really hard to come past good info and sort the poo poo from the great advice. I can't wait until I head to Montreal and the US next year and have a game.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

First game in two weeks was last night. I'm happy with how I played. I didn't Hartnell once. Also I realized I need shin tape.

Same. Except I played like butthole.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

NoArmedMan posted:

I just found this thread and it's incredible. I've been going through adult newbie classes here in Australia and it's been so much fun. Due to barely having a national league, let alone a hockey culture it's been really hard to come past good info and sort the poo poo from the great advice. I can't wait until I head to Montreal and the US next year and have a game.

As someone who schleps his gear relatively far for tournaments and such I have much respect for you doing this from Australia. Amazing. If your plans call for a stop in LA let me know and I can help find you a skate.

NoArmedMan
Apr 1, 2003

sellouts posted:

As someone who schleps his gear relatively far for tournaments and such I have much respect for you doing this from Australia. Amazing. If your plans call for a stop in LA let me know and I can help find you a skate.

I'll be in and around LA for part of the trip - the main reason I'm heading over is for Coachella. At this point I don't have a proper bag as I've had one on order from the US and it's taking forever to arrive. I've perfected the art of cramming all my gear in to my backpacking backpack, using the shoulder strap and carrying my helmet/skates/stick in my other hand. I don't have a car either so I'm getting to be a master of carrying a shitload of gear around the city.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
First game after christmas/new years break was Saturday night, myself and 4 other members of the team were on the same vacation trip.

The 3 people and 5 fill ins that could actually make it lost 12-2 to the best team in the league, thanks League Schedulers

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So after the holiday break, aka three weeks of not playing, we had two games tonight. Our first game we lost to the worst team in the league 2-1, I scored our only goal with about two minutes left, so at least we didn't get shutout. Second game of the night was against the best team in the league, and we stomped them 5-2. I had two goals and an assist in that game. Weird how hockey works out like that sometimes, one game it seems nothing goes your team's way and the next everything clicks. I'm going to catch maybe 5.5 hours of sleep before work and I'll be sore tomorrow, but it was totally worth it. Hockey rules.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
Think we had our craziest game with my work team. We were playing the 1st game of the playoffs against a team we normally stomp.

We got an early lead and then had a terrible 2nd period where we let them get a bunch of sloppy turnovers that they converted into goals.

With about 6 minutes left in the 3rd we were down 5-2, at which point we remembered how to play and shoot on their terrible goalie and tied it up with about 10 seconds left in the game.

To conclude the weird night we only needed 2 shooters for the shootout which is rare for us because for so long we had skilled guys who were terrible at them.

Felt loving amazing to come from behind and get the win, now I won't be able to get to sleep until 3am or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

After laying an egg on Sunday night after 2-3 weeks off, I had a great game last night. I got a nice goal coming down the left side into the zone, curled into the circle and rifled a backhander far-side top shelf. Hit the top of the goalie's catcher, rolled over it and dropped into the net. 8-0 win to retain first place.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Team won 4-2 last night, scored 2 of them. Went back to a full face cage (AGAIN I KNOW) but I feel like I've finally adjusted to it. Wearing it was reinforced when a player on the other team fell down, and took a slap shot from nearly point blank right off of his cage. That dude would've been in a lot of trouble.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For shorter players, are intermediate sticks the way to go if you want a more flexible stick? Seems like with senior sticks, even if I go with the most flexible option (e.g. 77 for Bauer), once I cut it down to size it's closer to 90 or 100 flex.

Also, on the subject of stick length, I see most sites recommending nose height in shoes, chin in skates, but what do you think about this site claiming they should usually be a bit shorter than that?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Splinter posted:

For shorter players, are intermediate sticks the way to go if you want a more flexible stick? Seems like with senior sticks, even if I go with the most flexible option (e.g. 77 for Bauer), once I cut it down to size it's closer to 90 or 100 flex.

Also, on the subject of stick length, I see most sites recommending nose height in shoes, chin in skates, but what do you think about this site claiming they should usually be a bit shorter than that?

If you stick handle a lot I would recommend cutting down enough that you can pass your top hand in front of your body freely while keeping your blade flat on the ice. (Essentially what that site is saying is the advantage of cutting it shorter)

If you play defense and don't want to give up reach, cut it to where you feel comfortable.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Splinter posted:

Yes. I'm 5'9" and use a 65 flex intermediate. It owns.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yes. I'm 5'9" and use a 65 flex intermediate. It owns.

I whip my stick back and forth.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Last night I came to the realization that I have hands of stone. Discuss.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Practice more. Get one of those Swedish balls and stickhandle around your house. Do wrist/forearm exercises so that you are strong. Uhh, that's all my advice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Warm up with one of those orange pucks. Makes normal pucks feel feather light. If you don't have an orange puck, skate laps while controlling two pucks.

Not that I have good hands either, but that at least gets me closer to my peak.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
And remember, the patient forward, scores.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

EvilTwig posted:

Last night I came to the realization that I have hands of stone. Discuss.

Practice. Thats about it to be honest. It takes a lot of time to develop speed/agility and the only thing which makes it better is more practice.

I prefer to practice with either a green biscuit puck or a golf ball. At first a golf ball seems terrible because its small, bouncy, and really fast but once you get the hang of it your hands speed up and you learn to control it. A puck will behave so much more predictably compared to a golf ball. The other thing is to keep it up. If you don't keep practicing and maintaining your speed, they will slow down. From my own experience, all the dribble and dangle drills really only come into play during a game by giving you confidence that you can do a simple move in stride and that you actually have more time than you think.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I finally signed up for a learn to play course and need to get a helmet with a cage and some gloves. Any recommendations on bang for buck gear to look at?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Whatever is on sale / clearance for gloves and whatever fits well for a helmet. Helmet is one of those things where you'll want to try on a few I think.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Definitely going to be trying things on.

For humors sake is there any stigmas with certain things, like colors or styles? Like with motorcycling if you wear white boots you had better be the fastest guy, or for cycling if you wear a yellow jersey you had better have won the race/tour for it?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Nitramster posted:

I finally signed up for a learn to play course and need to get a helmet with a cage and some gloves. Any recommendations on bang for buck gear to look at?

Helmets are going to depend on the shape of your head, so it's hard to give advice over the internet. For years I wore badly fitting helmets because they were the only small or extra-small in the shop, and my advice is to buy the helmet that fits you the best. Headaches suck. I think for most average-sized adults you'll have choices at a couple of price points that work for you. As far as the cage goes, just make sure your chin rests in the chin cup. Usually you aren't really getting a deal if you buy a helmet with the cage pre-attached vs. buying it separately so don't freak out and buy a cage that doesn't fit.

As far as gloves go, I've always had good luck w/ just looking for whatever's on clearance and trying them on until I find my size...I'm not totally sure this will work as well for adult sizes but it's worth a shot. You probably won't know what kind of glove feels best for you until you've played for a while anyway so there's no point in over-thinking it.

Nitramster posted:

For humors sake is there any stigmas with certain things, like colors or styles? Like with motorcycling if you wear white boots you had better be the fastest guy, or for cycling if you wear a yellow jersey you had better have won the race/tour for it?

I usually have a private little giggle at the guys who go through 3 or more pairs of $400+ skates before they even learn how to stop, but honestly I've never heard of anything like that.

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 8, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There's a few guys I've played against that spray paint their helmets green with a ninja turtle headband on. Don't be those guys.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Nitramster posted:

Mirrored visors, white gloves/pants, and maybe neon skate lace.

parsleyc
Sep 28, 2007

Nitramster posted:

Don't get a dark-tinted/mirror visor for your helmet or everyone will make Ovechkin jokes at you.

E: F;B

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Aniki posted:

This pretty much it. Just don't wear anything too weird, or else be prepared to get chirped. Also, don't get a jersey with the #99 or #69 on it, because :ughh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Being unable to stop with $1000 skates on your feet will definitely get dudes talking poo poo too.

I think that's mostly just jealousy though, everyone wishes they could afford top of the line gear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Aniki posted:

What gently caress you, my neon green laces own.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

What gently caress you, my neon green laces own.

I am also in favor of neon laces, the girl gloves with the fur, caution stickers on helmets, and anything else that doesn't scream "I take myself and this game seriously".

The only guy I openly chirp is a guy who wears a Go Pro in every game and can be kind of a dick. I call him Highlight Reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am consistently surprised how much of a poo poo people give about what poo poo other people wear.