Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Can anyone explain why my genius King of Scotland son randomly dropped out of my elective succession and has disappeared from the candidate list? I have other King Sons/Relatives who are still eligible. Is there a way to get him back in the list? I am Norse if that makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

dPB posted:

Can anyone explain why my genius King of Scotland son randomly dropped out of my elective succession and has disappeared from the candidate list? I have other King Sons/Relatives who are still eligible. Is there a way to get him back in the list? I am Norse if that makes a difference.

Is he still the same religion as you?

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome
Yeah he is. It must have been a bug because quitting and restarting fixed it.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

dPB posted:

I've seen this happen sometimes, and it might have to do with creating a republic, did you recently create one? It might have made him the heir to a grand city and thus ineligible to be voted for a feudal position.

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

I might finally lose the large Croatian Kingdom I set up.

Curse my current King for declaring a Holy War over a tiny province near the Crimea, it looked easy until the Ruthenians stopped fighting itself!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Disappointing egg posted:

Those stats don't look so terrible to me. I had three generations of imbeciles in one game, and they still managed to conquer England and create the empire of Brittania.

I would watch this movie.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
So, I hear setting up a republic or whatever inside your kingdom/empire gets you 'mad ducats'. How do I do this, and which province would you recommend to do this on in the Iberian Peninsula?

Antinumeric
Nov 27, 2010

BoxGiraffe
Give a Duke level title to a mayor.

I'd recommend the Duchy of Galicia.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
One of my best, most fun Muslim games ever was to form the Empire of Hispania, and then set up the Republic of Granada by making one of my dynasty members a mayor by giving him a city, then a county, and then the Duchy of Granada. I then switched over to him. It was excellent -- Muslim patricians get mad cash from the advanced Muslim tech levels, and can hold every type of holding without penalty. Republics are typically rich, but Muslim republics are even richer!!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I feel like I've sort of run up against a wall in my current game. I've managed to form the kingdom of Sicily and drove the muslims out of Italy all by myself (through the help of some timely succession crises that let me pick off the vassals one at a time) but if I want more of Italy it seems like I basically need to hope for either Italy or Byzantium to fall apart. Neither of which seems likely.

Maybe I should go and conquer Cyprus or something.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

MrBling posted:

I feel like I've sort of run up against a wall in my current game. I've managed to form the kingdom of Sicily and drove the muslims out of Italy all by myself (through the help of some timely succession crises that let me pick off the vassals one at a time) but if I want more of Italy it seems like I basically need to hope for either Italy or Byzantium to fall apart. Neither of which seems likely.

Maybe I should go and conquer Cyprus or something.

Use the power of the :ese:, you must.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

DrSunshine posted:

One of my best, most fun Muslim games ever was to form the Empire of Hispania, and then set up the Republic of Granada by making one of my dynasty members a mayor by giving him a city, then a county, and then the Duchy of Granada. I then switched over to him. It was excellent -- Muslim patricians get mad cash from the advanced Muslim tech levels, and can hold every type of holding without penalty. Republics are typically rich, but Muslim republics are even richer!!

Was this in Vanilla? It seems like that would be a constant battle between boosting your trade post limit and keeping decadence low, since they both key off of unlanded men hanging out at court.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nolanar posted:

Was this in Vanilla? It seems like that would be a constant battle between boosting your trade post limit and keeping decadence low, since they both key off of unlanded men hanging out at court.

It was a few patches ago, I think, before they nerfed Merchant Republic trade posts.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Something really weird just happened to me in my Persia game -- the Seljuks invaded, as expected, trounced me, and I surrendered. They took the kingdom of Khiva. I was all geared up to play a waiting game, letting them exhaust themselves in the north and pick away at their territory bit by bit, but a few months after their victory every county in Khiva instantly reverted to their count-level holders. Since they were all my religion and culture, I was able to re-vassalize all but one of them instantly. There's no sign of the Turkish army anywhere.

Is this a bug, or did they just all immediately revolt in my name because they love me so much? :kimchi:

EDIT: Oops, the army is still there. Not sure what they're doing, exactly, they seem to be neutral to me now?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 8, 2014

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Something really weird just happened to me in my Persia game -- the Seljuks invaded, as expected, trounced me, and I surrendered. They took the kingdom of Khiva. I was all geared up to play a waiting game, letting them exhaust themselves in the north and pick away at their territory bit by bit, but a few months after their victory every county in Khiva instantly reverted to their count-level holders. Since they were all my religion and culture, I was able to re-vassalize all but one of them instantly. There's no sign of the Turkish army anywhere.

Is this a bug, or did they just all immediately revolt in my name because they love me so much? :kimchi:

EDIT: Oops, the army is still there. Not sure what they're doing, exactly, they seem to be neutral to me now?

Sounds like an Independence faction.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

DrSunshine posted:

It was a few patches ago, I think, before they nerfed Merchant Republic trade posts.

That reminds me, is this, or at least the limits, moddable?

Me and three friends had a 'funny' idea of playing four families of a single merchant republic, with a rule that the Doge can't set up any tradeposts while he's Doge.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Anybody got any tips for starting as a Count in Scandinavia? I've tried staying independent and I get pasted as soon as a king notices me. I tried swearing fealty but I just ended up in countless wars that pretty much stunted my ability to do anything atall. I feel like i'm missing something important here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Seejay posted:

Anybody got any tips for starting as a Count in Scandinavia? I've tried staying independent and I get pasted as soon as a king notices me. I tried swearing fealty but I just ended up in countless wars that pretty much stunted my ability to do anything atall. I feel like i'm missing something important here.

You probably are missing something. If you play as a count without the ability to expand through war, you need to play the marriage game. Either by seeking allies that give you the strength to expand after all, or by marrying a female not too far down the line of succession and then stabbing the gently caress out of her brothers/older sisters, so that your heir can inherit a bigger realm.

Do you start at the Old Gods start date? If not you can forget playing as an independent count, your de jure kingdom will always conquer you sooner or later.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Can someone explain to me why even though I had a 200 point lead over another possible successor during my republic game, CK2 decided to give it to that guy instead of me.

And it wasn't a case of him closing the point difference in the time before my liege died, I literally checked to see I WAS THE NEXT SUCCESSOR, advanced a day and then got told I have a new liege, the other prick who I was ahead of.

All my campaign funds down the drain, please someone explain this to me otherwise gently caress this game hard. Waiting around sitting on my arse waiting for me to take over the republic so I could actually do poo poo and the game then pulls something like this fucks me right over.

While I'm ranting gently caress whoever decided early Crusades, Jihads, Great Holy Wars WHATEVER in SoA where a good idea.

EDIT: Oh hello loving Jihad for Sicilly in the 900's. Might as well call this game loving done.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 9, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Shogunate posted:

Can someone explain to me why even though I had a 200 point lead over another possible successor during my republic game, CK2 decided to give it to that guy instead of me.

And it wasn't a case of him closing the point difference in the time before my liege died, I literally checked to see I WAS THE NEXT SUCCESSOR, advanced a day and then got told I have a new liege, the other prick who I was ahead of.

All my campaign funds down the drain, please someone explain this to me otherwise gently caress this game hard. Waiting around sitting on my arse waiting for me to take over the republic so I could actually do poo poo and the game then pulls something like this fucks me right over.

While I'm ranting gently caress whoever decided early Crusades, Jihads, Great Holy Wars WHATEVER in SoA where a good idea.

EDIT: Oh hello loving Jihad for Sicilly in the 900's. Might as well call this game loving done.

The AI doesn't add campaign funds until the literal last milisecond before they need to. It is a massive gamey back of dicks. You basically have to go through each character you are running against, and make sure you put more funds than they have available, if you want it to be assured.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

There's a small amount of randomness added to everyone's campaign score, so when it's close, there's a chance the second-place patrician wins. I always try to keep at least a 500-point lead on everyone.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

You probably are missing something. If you play as a count without the ability to expand through war, you need to play the marriage game. Either by seeking allies that give you the strength to expand after all, or by marrying a female not too far down the line of succession and then stabbing the gently caress out of her brothers/older sisters, so that your heir can inherit a bigger realm.

Do you start at the Old Gods start date? If not you can forget playing as an independent count, your de jure kingdom will always conquer you sooner or later.

Yeah, i'm using the 867 start. I just seem to be in a bit of a run of bad luck at the moment - In my last game, I started with a chaste ruler with a 6 as his highest stat. He then promptly got injured in a fight and became incapable, with no heirs. It was laughably bad.

I do try to marry the right people, but I tend to get stomped and then spend the rest of my life a poor vassal, having my lands pillaged by people declaring themselves King over my liege, while he does nothing to stop them. It's a hard life.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

The AI doesn't add campaign funds until the literal last milisecond before they need to. It is a massive gamey back of dicks. You basically have to go through each character you are running against, and make sure you put more funds than they have available, if you want it to be assured.

So even doing campaign funding is basically useless until your guy is the only 60 year old fart left? That's bollocks.

Doesn't matter though, game ended cause the Jihad worked. The two latest games I've played comes to a halt cause of loving Jihads in the 900's (good luck to anyone who can do a West African game now). I'm really tempted to turn off SoA and call it that cause that poo poo simply ain't fun.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 9, 2014

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Shogunate posted:

So even doing campaign funding is basically useless until your guy is the only 60 year old fart left? That's bollocks.

Try playing the intrigue game, rather than the economy game. Plot to stab every patrician family until there's a child in line, then move onto the other families.

I had a successful merchant republic game going where I was the only viable family, since all the other families had children as heirs, hence 0 score. If you have high enough plot power, instead of stopping when they're all children, keep stabbing one family and their replacements. New Patrician families get 300 gold to start with, if you can plot kill them quickly enough it becomes yours, it turned into my primary source of income in one game.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It's still bullshit that the AI apparently gets a "the election is now happening, do you want to dump money into it?" prompt and you don't. Either give us that poo poo or take it away from the computer, cheaters!

Also it's at least not entirely that, I once had a bunch of money dumped into the campaign fund of one of my bishops, and when it came election time they elected... a different vassal bishop of mine. I wasn't paying his bill!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Dauntasa posted:

Sounds like an Independence faction.

The counties would be unable to accept a vassalization offer if they were revolting as part of a faction. And if the AI Horde had troops left it is unlikely that they would and independence faction go free.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mickey McKey posted:

The counties would be unable to accept a vassalization offer if they were revolting as part of a faction. And if the AI Horde had troops left it is unlikely that they would and independence faction go free.

Could be possible that the AI doesn't count attrition-less event troops when considering whether to accept a faction demand.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

CapnAndy posted:

It's still bullshit that the AI apparently gets a "the election is now happening, do you want to dump money into it?" prompt and you don't. Either give us that poo poo or take it away from the computer, cheaters!

Also it's at least not entirely that, I once had a bunch of money dumped into the campaign fund of one of my bishops, and when it came election time they elected... a different vassal bishop of mine. I wasn't paying his bill!

It's bullshit, but it's kinda for the same reason they can lead you on constant chases by leaving the instant you target the county. Which is to say, because if the AI doesn't use bullshit tactics, it'd be stomped even easier.

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.

KittyEmpress posted:

It's bullshit, but it's kinda for the same reason they can lead you on constant chases by leaving the instant you target the county. Which is to say, because if the AI doesn't use bullshit tactics, it'd be stomped even easier.

It is pretty ridiculous when they pull that poo poo. It's even worse in EU4, stream crossings are bullshit in that game.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Amnistar posted:

It is pretty ridiculous when they pull that poo poo. It's even worse in EU4, stream crossings are bullshit in that game.

Yeah, but the point is that if they didn't you'd easily crush them as a player with even a little knowledge. It's pointless tedium, but the designers decided it was better than just letting the player stomp AI armies super easy.

By the way, on my muslim republic game, I am making enough money per month to have my holy order and every mercenary (6 total) troupe permanently raised, and still get 10 gold per month.

Kind of scary!

Amnistar
Nov 6, 2008

I am a wizard, not a poet.
As a muslim Trade Republic can you directly run every type of Demense?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Amnistar posted:

Yes! That's the beauty of it!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know if there are any existing mods that only remove or rework Decadence? I want to give Muslims another shot, but find dealing with Decadence to be gamey and stupid.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Nolanar posted:

There's a small amount of randomness added to everyone's campaign score, so when it's close, there's a chance the second-place patrician wins. I always try to keep at least a 500-point lead on everyone.

This is the reason, there is up to 500 points added to the AI campaign upon succession. It's not them investing anything, it's a variable set in defines.lua.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Amnistar posted:

Yes. My current capital is 2 Cities, 4 castles, and a temple. All of them are directly owned by me. All of them are as upgraded as my tech lets them be. When stationing my steward to collect taxes I make 120 gold per month even with 6 mercenaries and a holy order raised. When stationing my marshal to recruit levys I can raise around 30k troops from that one county.

The only issue is decadence, and I got around that by having my first few rulers have lots of sons, getting to where I could make around 18 trade posts (I was hitting nearly full decadence), building them, then executing every male in my line besides one, which has become a standard. If my children do not end up Geniuses with at least a 3 star education trait then they get executed.

I'll never be able to build more trade posts, but eh who cares.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

KittyEmpress posted:

(I was hitting nearly full decadence), building them, then executing every male in my line besides one, which has become a standard. If my children do not end up Geniuses with at least a 3 star education trait then they get executed.

I'll never be able to build more trade posts, but eh who cares.

Christ, what is this game doing to us :stare:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone know if there are any existing mods that only remove or rework Decadence? I want to give Muslims another shot, but find dealing with Decadence to be gamey and stupid.

I have been debating putting in the effort to make a personal mini-mod that does this (and lets everyone use rivers). So far I have been pretty :effort: about it but I am pretty sure there is one value you need to change somewhere that makes all Muslims not accrue decadence (which is fine because the AI doesnt get decadence invasion'd anyway, I dont think).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I've thought about grabbing the ck2+ version of decadence and slapping it into a mini-mod, but :effort: is pretty much the name of the game for me too. Just removing the natural decadence growth in defines.lua is 30 seconds worth of work, but without all the events that ck2+ has that add/remove decadence playing a Muslim is cheating even more than playing one of the sons of Lodbrok.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Mickey McKey posted:

(which is fine because the AI doesnt get decadence invasion'd anyway, I dont think).

I dunno if you mean CK2+ but they absolutely, 100% do in vanilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Allyn posted:

I dunno if you mean CK2+ but they absolutely, 100% do in vanilla

I havent played CK II+ in ages so I definitely mean vanilla. Which means I must not pay enough attention.

edit: also, do you need SoA to have the new Holy Orders enabled?

• Locked thread