Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I love Caviezel's performance, it's like Tim Olyphant's performance in Deadwood - playing the role well looks like you're not doing much, acting-wise.

I like it at the moment but the quippier lines they give him clash with the nature of his performance quite badly. Also...

PriorMarcus posted:

"Here; watch two and a half Seasons of Robo-actor before a mildly talented girl from this cancelled series shows up!"

Well worth it.

okay I see it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Bown posted:

I like it at the moment but the quippier lines they give him clash with the nature of his performance quite badly. Also...

In the gag reel they released for season 2 it's like night and day because when he makes off-the-cuff jokes they're actually funny and he has an actual personality. Like one outtake was a semi truck pulling up and parking in front of the camera and behind the truck Jim yells "I'm doing the best acting of my life right now! You guys have no idea! :haw:"

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Bown posted:

okay I see it now.

Haha. I love Life, and Person of Interest is actually pretty good (though I think it's overhyped) but if you're going to recommend Person of Interest over Homeland for the connection to Life then someone is going to have to sit through a whole lot before she shows up.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In the gag reel they released for season 2 it's like night and day because when he makes off-the-cuff jokes they're actually funny and he has an actual personality. Like one outtake was a semi truck pulling up and parking in front of the camera and behind the truck Jim yells "I'm doing the best acting of my life right now! You guys have no idea! :haw:"

Then why is he so boring in every movie he does too?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

PriorMarcus posted:

Haha. I love Life, and Person of Interest is actually pretty good (though I think it's overhyped) but if you're going to recommend Person of Interest over Homeland for the connection to Life then someone is going to have to sit through a whole lot before she shows up.

You know that was a joke, right?

e; but Life was pretty rad.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Then why is he so boring in every movie he does too?

Being a bad actor and being a nice person are not mutually exclusive.

Kai Tave posted:

You know that was a joke, right?

e; but Life was pretty rad.

Yeah, that's why I replied with one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Apparently Keanu Reeves is the nicest guy in Hollywood!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Keanu rules. If anyone here has an interest in filmmaking and hasn't seen his film 'Side by Side', then you are massively missing out. Such a great documentary.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Keanu rules. If anyone here has an interest in filmmaking and hasn't seen his film 'Side by Side', then you are massively missing out. Such a great documentary.

Side by Side is one of the best films I've seen this year.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel a little bad cause after I posted that I went and read Marcus' most recent post in the Sherlock thread and it made me lose my poo poo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

I feel a little bad cause after I posted that I went and read Marcus' most recent post in the Sherlock thread and it made me lose my poo poo

:hfive:

Don't feel bad.

The only reason I didn't pop into that thread earlier and side with you is because all my Moffat dislike is focused on Doctor Who right now; a show I care a lot more for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't know if y'all have seen American Hustle, but Louis CK is in it and he tells part of an ice fishing story. Here's the end of that story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52JwEQy00sA

Also go see American Hustle it's hilarious and rules.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

zoux posted:

Also go see American Hustle it's hilarious and rules.

Hilarious how? I'm honestly curious. To me it was like 80% drama and the few comedic parts only mildly amusing at best. Hilarious is really overselling it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno I laughed a lot. I guess I could call it a, ahem, dramedy but it's largely intended to be comedic I think.

Apparently Archer's done being a spy comedy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 8, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Bunheads had some of the best set design in any tv show. Everything is just so.. naturally cluttered.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

oh my god, this is going to be incredible. I was considering dropping Archer after I didn't really dig the fourth season so much but forget it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I'm totally fine with Archer going in that direction. I kind of thought the last season was it for me but if it turns out the writer was bored and this is his way of rejuvenating it then bring it on.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
There's no thread for Intelligence?

Anyway I thought it was an okay start, props on not doing the whole origin story thing and dragging it out and just jumping it when the new girl shows up. Otherwise it was a pilot so who knows what else is supposed to happen and change between shooting that and them getting used to going into full production mode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Remember when we were all saying our own personal HOLKY gently caress moments and I didn't say what mine was?

It's because this is it. Right here.

:tviv:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The South American drug cartel episode ruled so I'm looking forward to it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Sober posted:

There's no thread for Intelligence?

Anyway I thought it was an okay start, props on not doing the whole origin story thing and dragging it out and just jumping it when the new girl shows up. Otherwise it was a pilot so who knows what else is supposed to happen and change between shooting that and them getting used to going into full production mode.

Intelligence is hilarious because of how blatant they are about everything. Telling somebody about the Next Manhattan Project without her agreeing and then discussing it an echoey hallway out in the rest of the building while having the project name on the door is just absurd.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

VH1 is playing 4 episodes of Happy Endings in a row every Wednesday at 7PM EST starting tonight.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Haha Archer posted a bunch of fake nudes to r/gonewild.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

I dunno I laughed a lot. I guess I could call it a, ahem, dramedy but it's largely intended to be comedic I think.

I could've spoiled myself on this a while back, but I figured "eh, I might as well have *some* surprise."

I regret this decision. It is becoming so incredibly goddamn hard to not click on any number of links to what's going to happen on Archer.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I made a thread for Enlisted, which starts Friday. It looks a fun show! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601393

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watch ... Super Fun Night

That show is still on?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I believe there are two new episodes tonight! Neither will be good I'm sure. Both should drop the webcam intro because it's painful.

Good people involved with the show so far:
Paul Rust
John Gemberling
Jenny Slate
Rob Heubel
Matt Lucas
Adam DeVine
Keegan-Michael Key
Riki Lindhome
Alan Ruck
etc

It should be decent, but it's such a frustrating show. Could get a rework for s2 if it survives (I don't think it's doing that bad ratings wise? Somehow?)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

zoux posted:

When you think about it, this is probably the natural career trajectory for a lot of people in the intelligence community.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

When you think about it, this is probably the natural career trajectory for a lot of people in the intelligence community.

I believe most of the CIA dudes do their drug dealing while still in the agency.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

I believe there are two new episodes tonight! Neither will be good I'm sure. Both should drop the webcam intro because it's painful.

Good people involved with the show so far:
John Gemberling

Speaking of John Gemberling, when they first aired the pilot for "Fat Guy Stuck in Internet" I thought it was super stupid but for some reason between the original airdate and when it actually was brought to series I really warmed up to it.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just in case you were wondering: Modern Family is still hilarious, and Super Fun Night's theme song is still an assault on my eardrums.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nope. Not gonna happen.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alright guys, David Blaine Confuses Famous People is reairing on ABC right now. Who's in?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Yoshifan823 posted:

Just in case you were wondering: Modern Family is still hilarious, and Super Fun Night's theme song is still an assault on my eardrums.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Alright guys, David Blaine Confuses Famous People is reairing on ABC right now. Who's in?

I've given up trying to understand your "taste" in television.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Let alone music.

In easier-to-understand news, Justified remains fantastic. I'm so excited for a season about (extremely mild season 5 spoiler) the Crowes.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Let alone music.

In easier-to-understand news, Justified remains fantastic. I'm so excited for a season about (extremely mild season 5 spoiler) the Crowes.

I don't like Justified one bit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I started watching Blaine planning to laugh at it, but that motherfucker crazy.

edit: Also, my taste in everything owns. Haters vacate.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

zoux posted:

At Comic-Con I remember the creator saying that he did not reveal any new footage for the new season because it's going "in a new direction." This must be what he meant. Personally I thought the show was getting a tad stale (but still good), but if this is what's happening, I'm all for it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It'll work because Archer isn't a good show just because its about spies. Its a good show because of the characters and the writing, neither of which are about to change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

muscles like this? posted:

It'll work because Archer isn't a good show just because its about spies. Its a good show because of the characters and the writing, neither of which are about to change.

This is very true. The banter between characters is what makes it so great. Watching Archer because of the spy aspect is like watching Breaking Bad for it's meth/drug dealing. Yeah, that's what the show is about, but you're watching it for the wrong reason.

• Locked thread