Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't like Justified one bit.

Sucks to be you. I just got my parents to start watching and I'm rewatching along with them. Season one isn't quite as good as the rest but it's still great TV. The dialogue is constantly delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Sucks to be you. I just got my parents to start watching and I'm rewatching along with them. Season one isn't quite as good as the rest but it's still great TV. The dialogue is constantly delightful.

Really I loving love Justified, it's one of my favourite shows at the moment and you're right about the dialogue.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Justified is like Person of Interest except it's not boring.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

Justified is like Person of Interest except it's not boring.

I actually believe that Timophy is making a choice to act stoic as well rather than whatever Jim thinks he's doing.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

PriorMarcus posted:

Really I loving love Justified, it's one of my favourite shows at the moment and you're right about the dialogue.

Oh cool. Then it sucks less to be you! :hfive:

PriorMarcus posted:

I actually believe that Timophy is making a choice to act stoic as well rather than whatever Jim thinks he's doing.

Even though PoI basically went in one ear and out the other for me - I enjoyed it while watching but can barely dredge up any details if I try to talk about it - I like Caviezel's performance once the show got going. He's stoic but there's quite a bit of humor to it and he sells the deadpan. However, Olyphant definitely gives a much more nuanced performance in Justified.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm about to finish Spartacus and it's a drat shame I never watched this show until the last week of 2013, because had I finished in time it would definitely have made my top ten list. Letting these last handful of episodes breathe a bit in between viewings, now that the end draws near :smith:.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Spartacus is amazing and you'll be totally satisfied with the ending. Between that and Breaking Bad it was a really great surprise to see two shows I love stick their landings so well.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BarbarousBertha posted:

Pro tip: semicolons. You're welcome. /Sadie

Although it did make me smile that I am not the only person who remembers 2 Guys, A Girl, and a Pizza Place. (Ryan Reynolds and Nathan Filion as two sides of a love triangle. Whatever happened to the other Guy and the Girl? Or the Pizza Place for that matter?)

Mindy Project has no thread for it (like Cougar Town, I guess?) so any impulse to chat about it lands here. Given the fact that so many goon-beloved guest stars show up its hardly surprising some of us like to talk it up a little every now and then, too. Timothy Olyphant as a slacker skater FoTW? Yes, please, and then I will watch Go for the 83rd time.

For liking it you don't seem to respect it very much, but I have a few shows I enjoy that I hold in similarly low esteem. The Mindy Project slides a lot of post-feminist social commentary (especially regarding pop culture's impact on relationship expectations) between the lines, though, and I think it deserves a little more respect than it gets. If it doesn't get cancelled by next season (which it will) I would probably make it a thread.

I am aware of semi-colons, but where would be the fun in that? The idea that one network had 2 shows named as such simultaneously is humorous to me. That they were both pretty drat good adds to the enjoyment I get.

Also, Without Jennifer Grey in ILYKW, could we have had van der Beek in DttB?

I can see how you view that as holding Mindy in low esteem, but it is more that the discussion always ends up being the same in this thread. I thought there was a thread for it before the break, but I guess the incredibly low amount of posters did the thread in.

CaptainHollywood posted:

This is very true. The banter between characters is what makes it so great. Watching Archer because of the spy aspect is like watching Breaking Bad for it's meth/drug dealing. Yeah, that's what the show is about, but you're watching it for the wrong reason.

Replace Archer and spies with Mindy and medical office. Rarely does it feel important why this group of characters associates with one another. I'm not saying the show isn't worth discussing, and I probably didn't word that correctly before. The people who like it have plenty to discuss with those who also like it, but not so much with those who don't. I feel like its an agree-to-disagree situation.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Did anyone see that Spoils of Babylon miniseries thing on IFC? It's some sort of parody of the whole Downton Abbey drama miniseries genre and stars Kristen Wiig and Tobey Maguire. Looks worth a shot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
YES I am super excited for Spoils of Babylon, it looks totally insane.

And Justified had a much stronger premiere than last season, and that ended up being my favourite season, so bring it the hell on.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Chamberk posted:

Did anyone see that Spoils of Babylon miniseries thing on IFC? It's some sort of parody of the whole Downton Abbey drama miniseries genre and stars Kristen Wiig and Tobey Maguire. Looks worth a shot.

The ads are so annoying I don't plan on giving it a try.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The ads are so annoying I don't plan on giving it a try.

I was borderline also, but am going to give it a shot after reading this (not really that spoilery) review:

http://www.avclub.com/review/kristen-wiig-and-tobey-maguire-parody-cheesy-minis-200749

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The People's Choice Awards were last night.(full results)

For anyone who missed, I've listed some of the relevant categories and winners (bolded) below:

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show
Beauty and the Beast
Once Upon A Time
Supernatural
The Vampire Diaries
The Walking Dead

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress
Emilia Clarke
Ginnifer Goodwin
Kristin Kreuk
Nina Dobrev
Tatiana Maslany

Favorite TV Gal Pals
Caroline & Max, 2 Broke Girls
Lily & Robin, How I Met Your Mother
Meredith & Cristina, Grey's Anatomy
Penny, Bernadette & Amy, The Big Bang Theory
Rachel & Santana, Glee

Favorite TV Bromance
Blaine & Sam, Glee
Ryan & Esposito, Castle
Sam, Dean & Castiel, Supernatural
Sheldon, Leonard, Howard & Raj, The Big Bang Theory
Ted, Marshall & Barney, How I Met Your Mother

Favorite TV Anti-Hero
Dexter Morgan, Dexter
Jaime Lannister, Game of Thrones
Norman Bates, Bates Motel
Rick Grimes AKA Grimey, The Walking Dead
Walter White, Breaking Bad

Favorite New TV Comedy
The Crazy Ones
The Michael J. Fox Show
The Millers
Mom
Super Fun Night

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kristin loving Kreuk?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The People's Choice Awards Irish Joed Irish Joe.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

zoux posted:

Kristin loving Kreuk?

CW shows tend to have huge voting campaigns. Hence the weird weight of them in the scifi fantasy category.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I can't fault any of those winners though. Beauty and the Beast has had an incredible uptick in quality this year.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Show
Beauty and the Beast
Once Upon A Time
Supernatural
The Vampire Diaries
The Walking Dead

No what is this I don't even know. I don't even think it's an SF show! Irish Joe, this is all your fault.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

The People's Choice Awards Irish Joed Irish Joe.

I seriously went to the link to make sure he wasn't trolling us.

PriorMarcus posted:

I can't fault any of those winners though. Beauty and the Beast has had an incredible uptick in quality this year.

Are you fuckin with me kid?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

FAVORITE BAND
Imagine Dragons
Maroon 5
One Direction
OneRepublic
Paramore

What kind of award show is this? They have a category for everything? Favorite book?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

PowerBuilder3 posted:

I was borderline also, but am going to give it a shot after reading this (not really that spoilery) review:

http://www.avclub.com/review/kristen-wiig-and-tobey-maguire-parody-cheesy-minis-200749

I was down from the start because while I didn't like Matt Piedmont's Casa De Mi Padre, I admired the effort and heard a weird voice in there that I wanted to pay attention to. Plus I heard Haley Joel Osment was going to be in it; I rediscovered my respect for him after he did a dead-perfect Mac in a special Always Sunny featurette, and I'm down to see him do some more comedy.

Then I saw this two-part "making of" documentary that sets up the fictional drama that informs what madness we'll be seeing tonight.

EDIT: See I thought this was going to be an early contender for one of the decade's best satires but the Irish Joe posted the People's Choice Award winners...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

zoux posted:

Are you fuckin with me kid?

I guess if I was being picky I'd of chosen Dexter over Rick.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I can't take anything seriously that has categories like "favorite bromance" and favorite "gal palls," not that I could take any awards show seriously anyway. But drat, really? Really?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

PriorMarcus posted:

Nope nope nope this is a trick right?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Nope nope nope this is a trick right?

It's PriorMarcus saying a positive thing. Of course it's a trick.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Reading those PCAs made me think maybe we are the evil mirror universe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Yoshifan823 posted:

Just in case you were wondering: Modern Family is still hilarious, and Super Fun Night's theme song is still an assault on my eardrums.

Its theme song is "Don't Stop Me Now". That's a great song.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Maxwell Lord posted:

The song should only be used when fighting zombies :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tVH7BPb-Q

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

The song should only be used when fighting zombies :colbert:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4tVH7BPb-Q

According to the commentary, they all had little earbuds in while filming this scene so they could hit him (we're not using the zed word!) in time with the music.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Maxwell Lord posted:

It is a fantastic song. That cover, however, is god awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Irish Joe posted:

Favorite New TV Comedy
The Crazy Ones
The Michael J. Fox Show
The Millers
Mom
Super Fun Night

That's incredible. The award easily goes to Brooklyn 99, but somehow they managed to skip the one legit new network comedy of the year? That takes efforts. I bet if they had 6 nominees, 'Dads' would be in it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Their favorite new comedy nominees are the Bubble Watch.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

EL BROMANCE posted:

That's incredible. The award easily goes to Brooklyn 99, but somehow they managed to skip the one legit new network comedy of the year? That takes efforts. I bet if they had 6 nominees, 'Dads' would be in it.

I think it's probably pretty established by now that the "People's Choice Awards" are effectively the Teen Choice Awards without the part where you have to fake your age if you want to spam vote.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is really taking the sheen off the PCA I won in '97.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Aphrodite posted:

Their favorite new comedy nominees are the Bubble Watch.

Except for The Millers, which is a huge hit.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still watching The Millers (well, putting it on in the background while I do other stuff) because the cast is fantastic (Eliza Coupe is in it sometimes!) and I really, really want Garcia to be going somewhere with it. But so far I would not recommend it to anyone here except Yoshifan for obvious reasons

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Hannibal, Rectify, Nathan For You, House of Cards. Lots of exciting second seasons starting soon.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Bown posted:

I'm still watching The Millers (well, putting it on in the background while I do other stuff) because the cast is fantastic (Eliza Coupe is in it sometimes!)

I feel like my life was better not knowing this, because now I pretty much have to watch it. So, thanks. :(

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Speaking of new seasons, Banshee Season 2 starts tomorrow at 10PM ET. I haven't seen any advertising for it, but that's not shocking with a Cinemax show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What?! Oh my god there are FAR too many shows right now. I'm gonna have to start dropping stuff I actually really like. (or just The Millers and its ilk)

• Locked thread