Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I was trying to allude to the way Horatios characters name checks places and their locations.

The Chic-Fil-A on sunset, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

soggybagel posted:

I was trying to allude to the way Horatios characters name checks places and their locations.

The Chic-Fil-A on sunset, etc.

Not just the places and locations, but how to get there from various other points!

If I ever make it out to LA, I'm just going to use his CBB appearances as my travel guide.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

The Senator Giroux posted:

Not just the places and locations, but how to get there from various other points!

If I ever make it out to LA, I'm just going to use his CBB appearances as my travel guide.

That plus the weather reports and you're all set.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
That's the only one I know of. It's terrible. And there are plenty of other late night options in the area. But it has a cool old sign that everyone remembers. I'm convinced that it's sign is the only thing keeping it in business.

Edit: oops, didn't see the new page. This is all about the House of Pies on Vermont.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The guests to the episode they're recording at Riot Fest next week are PFT, Harris and Lauren Lapkus, which is pretty much a dream team (and Harris' first CBB in a looong time)

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

GraPar posted:

The guests to the episode they're recording at Riot Fest next week are PFT, Harris and Lauren Lapkus, which is pretty much a dream team (and Harris' first CBB in a looong time)

Yeah that sounds incredible. I hope Lauren does Todd.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Pretty interesting interview with Scott on the Kevin Pollak Chat Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSQWuzJvop0
Does anyone know who the guest was that apparently was getting angry during the show?

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

GobiasIndustries posted:

Does anyone know who the guest was that apparently was getting angry during the show?

I vaguely remember this being discussed here when this Kevin Pollak Chat Show episode came out. The one possibility I remember being suggested multiple times was Hana Mae Lee from episode 179 'Pitch Slapped'.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I don't think that suggestion made any sense, if I remember what was said. They said it was some movie's publicist or something, right? And Hana Mae Lee seemed perfectly game. That was the episode where Scheer did the Premium Rush publicist character which I'd infer was based on the publicist in question.

tnimark posted:

Has anyone listened to Scott's episode of the Kevin Pollak Chat Show? He talks about an ep of the CBB podcast in which one of the guest's publicist hadn't told them about the tone of the show and they were very upset and unwilling to play along. Scott said the episode was released, but sections of it were edited out. Anyone have any ideas about which episode this might have been?

epitasis posted:

Not sure that makes any sense - I don't really remember the episode but if the guest was the one being transgressive and racist (though I think Hana Mae Lee gets a pass for making Asian jokes?) or whatever, that suggests there wasn't an issue of the guest being unwilling to play along.

That does make me think that Paul Scheer's character on that episode and the Premium Rush episode was probably based on this publicist that got upset, though, so right timeframe perhaps.

edit: to be clear the part about being racist was just in response to someone suggesting Lee was, not that this was what Scott said the guest did. also I was imagining the publicist was in the room like they do for most of those assembly-line promo interviews

Greggy posted:

I remember Joe Cornish was a little combative back in 114, but I think Edgar Wright got him to go on the show rather than a publicist, and he might have been doing it for humor.
Oh god, this mystery will be in the back of my mind forever :ohdear:

I'd say probably look for a shorter-than-average episode that seem like there might have been edits with a disinterested guest.

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 9, 2014

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
I think it was that the guest's publicist hadn't given them an accurate rundown of what CBB was, so they thought they would just be doing a straight interview to promote a movie or something. Wasn't she there with a few other peope from Pitch Perfect? Is it possible that they all arrived expecting just to be interviewed and she was the only one who was pissed off when it wasn't what they expected?

I can't really remember Hana Mae's appearance, so you might be right.

Edit - Haha well there we go. It seems we've had this exact conversation. I guess the answer is: we don't know.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I reckon Greggy's right and Scott was using "publicist" to mean "Edgar Wright" without giving the whole game away. There was a whole bit on the Adam & Joe show about how much they both feared improv.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

edit: never mind I can't read my own quotes

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

I reckon Greggy's right and Scott was using "publicist" to mean "Edgar Wright" without giving the whole game away. There was a whole bit on the Adam & Joe show about how much they both feared improv.

I buy that because Scott mentioned during one of the best of eps that Edgar Wright also hadn't told Simon Pegg and Nick Frost that they'll be doing characters on the show.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I feel like Scott has told the bad guest story way before the Simon and Nick's appearance. I'm willing to bet it was the Napoleon Dynamite episode, in which the guy wasn't playing ball and hated the improv games and Adomian's (?) character. Is it a short episode? I'm on my phone so I can't check now

Also, that episode had Scott specifically saying the publicist organised the guest booking, which is a weird thing to mention mid-episode.

Besson fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jan 9, 2014

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Well yeah, the quote he gave of me was from when the interview aired a year ago, and was referring to Joe Cronish, not Simon and Nick. I haven't listened to the episode with Jon Heder in a long time but I remember him being pretty game. He was on with Harris Wittels and Seth Morris, and it ran for 1:11, so maybe a little short but not much more than usual. The Joe Cornish/Edgar Wright one was 1:01.

I still kind of think it might be Joe Cornish, but Jon Heder is a possibility, I'll have to give that one another listen.

Greggy fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 9, 2014

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
To be fair, I think about 55 minutes of that Heder episode was the "What Am I Thinking" with Harris.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jon Heder and Pegg/Frost were totally playing along with the show, iirc Heder's appearance was like a more extreme version of Jerrod Carmichael's first episode where it was obvious that he was having fun and liked the show but didn't have the improv experience to keep up with the other guys on the episode.

I'm guessing it was the Pitch Perfect episode, I think that makes the most sense.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Pegg/Frost would be impossible, it took place after the interview in question.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

He wasn't saying it was Pegg/Frost, he's saying Edgar setting up Pegg/Frost would fit with him having Cornish do the show without knowing what he was getting into. I don't care enough to listen to the Pitch Perfect show again but Cornish makes way more sense to me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

The only thing I remember about Jon Heder's appearance was Jon Heder using the euphemism "B.A." for "badass."

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

Greggy posted:

Pegg/Frost would be impossible, it took place after the interview in question.

Plus they sounded like they were having a ball, and by all accounts were.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
In Will Forte's first episode Scott says he was improperly briefed on the format, but Forte doesn't seem the type to rage against it.

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.
I have a tough time imagining that Edgar Wright is the type of person to rage out over not fully understanding a comedy podcast's format.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

everyone read more carefully thx

Tegan and Sankara
May 4, 2009

I'd be surprised if it was Joe Cornish, he co-hosted a radio for years which was heavy on the comedy, as well as a TV show that had some CBBTV-like qualities. If he fears improv that's one thing, but I'd find it hard to believe he wouldn't 'get' the show or be annoyed that it was a comedy show. Haven't listened to his episode in ages, though.

Random bit from Adam and Joe show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtQW8vAslc

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

RetroHelix posted:

I have a tough time imagining that Edgar Wright is the type of person to rage out over not fully understanding a comedy podcast's format.

No one is saying this, so I think you're probably right.

The whole discussion is kind of frustrating since there's no way of telling who it is, Gobias really pulled a number on us here.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Heder was on the tv show too. How do those dates match up?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have it on pretty good authority it was Joe Cornish.

But enough about that. Beef....done.

I really liked the most recent episode. The end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I hear Joe Cornish got so distressed that fled the studio. Edgar Wright had to find him and calm him down before they could record the plugs.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

There's a new Golden Globes promo spot where Poehler does that exact bit she did last year about symmetry and fresh skin being "in."

Arm_Fruit
Jul 1, 2013

soggybagel posted:

I have it on pretty good authority it was Joe Cornish.

But enough about that. Beef....done.

I really liked the most recent episode. The end.

I just about died every time they busted out in a new song. The Solo Bolo b-b-b-b-BONUS-s-s-s-s episode would be fantastic!

Jason Mantzoukas and Benny Shwass shouldn't be in the same episode, both have them tend to play straight to Scott's blubbering.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Arm_Fruit posted:

I just about died every time they busted out in a new song. The Solo Bolo b-b-b-b-BONUS-s-s-s-s episode would be fantastic!

Jason Mantzoukas and Benny Shwass shouldn't be in the same episode, both have them tend to play straight to Scott's blubbering.

Three Straight Men!!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

Three Straight Men!!
No, but what I'M trying to say is...

Two Straight Men is one of those references that I wish I could use in every day conversation.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Two straight men walk into a bar.

They order drinks.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
New PFT character at Riot LA today. I wasn't there but twitter is telling me it's "JW Stillwater: Vigilante"

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Nick Kroll and Jenny Slate.

Thank you based Scott.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Me in Reverse posted:

Nick Kroll and Jenny Slate.

Thank you based Scott.

Nick's been blowing up podcasts lately, which is great because he's hilarious on them and promoting his awesome show, but this is the first time I think I've heard Jenny with him, and oh my god they are just perfect.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Scott really, really wanted credit for starting "House of Pies"

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I love how fast Kroll will just bring in characters. So glad Sly made an appearance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

soggybagel posted:

I love how fast Kroll will just bring in characters. So glad Sly made an appearance.

The ones where Kroll machineguns characters are some of my favourite ever episodes of CBB: there's one with Scheer and another with Mulaney where they finally get to Plugs and the room is just filled with various one-note characters.