Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Lugaloco posted:

The scene on I4H with him, Adam Pally and John Gabrus at the racist ski lodge is art. In fact that whole episode is solid gold.

The albino horror movie scene in that episode is probably my all time favorite I4H scene. The image of Adam Pally as an albino hunting man in a fedora and a trenchcoat standing on top of Huebel's car in traffic saying, "Okay, stay cool, don't make any sudden moves" makes me die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Lugaloco posted:

The scene on I4H with him, Adam Pally and John Gabrus at the racist ski lodge is art. In fact that whole episode is solid gold.
Sir, please stop ringing your racist windchime everytime you think you hear something racist.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Zsinjeh posted:

Sir, please stop ringing your racist windchime everytime you think you hear something racist.

You know what they say about black coffee... it always comes late.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Lugaloco posted:

That…is true.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

Sklarbro Country was kinda underwhelming in the episodes I listened to, but please god tell me which ones have UFC Tim Gunn on them. That sounds amazing.

It's performed by James Adomian.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Re-watching the Huebel, Pally & Gabrus episode since we posted and I forgot all about that caller who spoke/yelled in the slowest 4-word sputter.

I WAS DJING AT...
Go on
A GAY PRIDE PARADE AND...
Yeah?
THERE WAS A LADY..
Keep going
A LADY THERE SELLING..
SELLING COFFINS AT THE...
THE GAY PRIDE PARADE...

That's one small step...for man....one giant leap...for mankind - Huebel

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Zsinjeh posted:

Re-watching the Huebel, Pally & Gabrus episode since we posted and I forgot all about that caller who spoke/yelled in the slowest 4-word sputter.

I WAS DJING AT...
Go on
A GAY PRIDE PARADE AND...
Yeah?
THERE WAS A LADY..
Keep going
A LADY THERE SELLING..
SELLING COFFINS AT THE...
THE GAY PRIDE PARADE...

That's one small step...for man....one giant leap...for mankind - Huebel

Adam Pally saying he sounded like Christopher Reeve talking was spot-on and killed me.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Lugaloco posted:

Tell it not to take so many breaks.

I hope we get a Ben Schwartz episode soon, he hasn't been on in awhile.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

dear jimmy
hope you're having a good sleepies
what a nice interview
please lock the door on your way out

I love Hollywood Handbook

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
THESE FRANKENSTEINS AND VAMPIRES ARE SO SCARY

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The music they used for the script readthrough was so on point. I died laughing during the blooperz.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The music they used for the script readthrough was so on point. I died laughing during the blooperz.

I loving died laughing when whoever it was went into this incredibly detailed and jargon filled description of Tennis strategy off the cuff.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Victorkm posted:

I loving died laughing when whoever it was went into this incredibly detailed and jargon filled description of Tennis strategy off the cuff.

Speak on that.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
No new Nerd Poker this week.

Bummer (probably only to me, I don't think anyone else here listens to it) but it's pretty amazing they made it this far, with so many people and different schedules, without missing an ep.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

urk the quack posted:

No new Nerd Poker this week.

Bummer (probably only to me, I don't think anyone else here listens to it) but it's pretty amazing they made it this far, with so many people and different schedules, without missing an ep.
I still really like the idea, but the format would have been much more appealing to me if they had some sort of guest format hosted by Brian. I'd love to see some crazy adventures comedians could take it too but now it just became a regular game of D&D. Granted they're funny people but I wish it was a bit more.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Cross-posting from the Never Not Funny thread.

Announced on the new episode with Scott Aukerman, they're coming to Earwolf!

From the website: 'You heard right, folks: Never Not Funny is going free! Starting on January 30th, the full audio of every episode will be available for free via Earwolf, our free feed, iTunes and wherever else podcasts are found.

For fans who want more, we're introducing The Never Not Funny Players Club. When you subscribe to the Players Club, you get full video of every episode, a second weekly episode in both audio and video formats, plus exclusive bonus content like NNF live show audio! Players Club membership is $29.99 for six months, $49.99 for the year. Sign up now and for $99.99 you get a full year, plus an exclusive Players Club T-shirt and membership card. To join the Players Club, pick your package below!'

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Never Not Funny is a great show, I hope a lot of folks get on board. I've bought every season so far and it's a great value.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

tnimark posted:

Players Club membership is $29.99 for six months, $49.99 for the year. Sign up now and for $99.99 you get a full year, plus an exclusive Players Club T-shirt and membership card. To join the Players Club, pick your package below!'

tnimark posted:

$49.99 for the year.

tnimark posted:

for $99.99 you get a full year, plus an exclusive Players Club T-shirt and membership card.

$50 t-shirt?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Me in Reverse posted:

$50 t-shirt?

That's just some ignorant bitch poo poo

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Heh, chump change compared to the premium version of hollywood handbook.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
they're terrible businessmen

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

This is an awful idea financially for them. Poor Matt.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Are they gonna put up the rest of the archive at some point? There are only eight episodes right now. I'd wanna check NNF out now that it's free, but I wouldn't know where to begin considering how many episodes there are.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Brock Samson posted:

This is an awful idea financially for them. Poor Matt.

I don't see how. They have an existing fanbase that has proven it's willing to give them money for the show--they always provide these ridiculous bonus packages every season because people actually buy them. There will of course be people dropping off now that they don't have to pay, but I think that number will be smaller than you expect. Or to put it differently, I think the amount of people that still want to pay will be higher than you expect (I just signed up for the next two seasons :clint:).

To say nothing of the benefits of expanding their audience, which is of course where the real opportunity for growth is (both subscriptions and advertising). I think it's a very good move on their part.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Beeez posted:

Are they gonna put up the rest of the archive at some point? There are only eight episodes right now. I'd wanna check NNF out now that it's free, but I wouldn't know where to begin considering how many episodes there are.

Begin anywhere. There aren't a ton of "in jokes" on NNF, just a few quirky figures of speech that you'll catch on to quickly. I've listened to every single episode and I think the only one worth skipping is the Mark Vollman ep (and hey, some people like that one too).

Reformed Pissboy posted:

I don't see how. They have an existing fanbase that has proven it's willing to give them money for the show--they always provide these ridiculous bonus packages every season because people actually buy them. There will of course be people dropping off now that they don't have to pay, but I think that number will be smaller than you expect. Or to put it differently, I think the amount of people that still want to pay will be higher than you expect (I just signed up for the next two seasons :clint:).

To say nothing of the benefits of expanding their audience, which is of course where the real opportunity for growth is (both subscriptions and advertising). I think it's a very good move on their part.

Exactly. Almost everyone who is a current subscriber will continue to pay for the promise of a second episode every week plus the usual bonus content. Those who currently only listen to free feed will either keep listening for free, or once they see what they've been missing will be enticed to subscribe. And the Earwolf brand will attract at least a few new subscribers. I assume Brock Samson thinks the subscribers will quit buying the cow when they're getting the milk for free, but NNF subscribers are a devoted bunch. Most of them won't hesitate to keep paying for all that extra content.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Yeah that's my point of view. I enjoy supporting the guys, but if the content I'm paying for is just an hour a week of Jimmy playing grabass, gambling, etc, I don't have any incentive to go beyond the new free feed. I really hope it works out for them though.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

For the last several seasons they've had several tiers of membership where you get extra physical items because listeners have said they want to give more money but Matt and Jimmy didn't want them to just toss extra money at the show and get nothing in return. The $50 T-Shirt is a bad deal if you are just shirtless and shivering and need anything to cover your poor goose-pimpled flesh but it's really just there for people to be able to give more money to the show. They usually sell show T-Shirts as well that are comparable in price to any other podcast show shirt.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
It's a risk, but I think it's one worth taking. They mention on their latest episode that ever since they switched to the pay format (like 4 years ago or something?) they've been making a nice amount of money, nice enough for Matt to quit his job, but their audience numbers have been completely stagnant. If they want more people to hear the show they pretty much have to go down this route. Sure they'll take an initial financial hit from the subscribers who'll drop off now that it's free, but the hope is that a larger audience will bring in more people who otherwise wouldn't have listened to the show who wind up enjoying it enough to pay for the extra content. Even if the best they do is eventually just building it back up to the same number of paying listeners they had before, now they're making decent money AND they have a significantly larger audience listening to the free feed.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Plus I would imagine they will get in on the earwolf advertising deals the other shows do.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Con los miquidistas....

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Some people just like giving money to things they enjoy

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
and/or to show support for a business choice

Urk! fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 9, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Greggy posted:

Plus I would imagine they will get in on the earwolf advertising deals the other shows do.

Hmmm, how does Pardo feel about standing in line at the Post Office?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Greggy posted:

For the last several seasons they've had several tiers of membership where you get extra physical items because listeners have said they want to give more money but Matt and Jimmy didn't want them to just toss extra money at the show and get nothing in return.
They've also said they think the idea of a donation button is kind of tacky, which is why the tiers were introduced.

They did a $250 personal phone call package for a few seasons, but that was always advertised as the dumb gag tier for stupid people who like awkward calls.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Greggy posted:

Is Purity Organic juice still a real product?

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Oh I meant to tell youse guys, anyone who outbids me on eBay for any of the Matt Besser cards when that set is released: I'm going to murder you and your whole family. All the cards are mine.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Is there any character Sean Clements is more suited to playing than a sociopathic spoiled rich kid?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

I could listen to Sean say "Funn EEE" all day. Also I think Dominic is really funny but I feel like he kinda got relegated to the straight man the whole time.

I4H needs more Paul Rust btw.

Politicalrancor fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 12, 2014

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I hope Besser takes a measured hand with Doug Levinson/Angry Trumpet Guy on I4H. Dude is the right mix of egocentric and oblivious, but I feel like there's a lot of interminable buildup to go through before the comedians can finally mine some gold out of it. The choppy Skype delay doesn't help things either, since Besser has to practically talk over him to get a word in edgewise. And while the proposed use of him as a street performer critic sounds funny, I don't know if that guy will pay off any more spectacularly than what we've already seen on that viral video.

You can tell that Besser is taken with him, but I personally don't find him appealing enough to be a regular feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Besser still hasn't lost sight of the show being about improv. Even if there's an earnest (comedically) discussion about bestiality for 15 minutes, a 10 minute improv scene by the best improvisers in the universe is going to follow right after. Definitely don't give that guy an uninhibited mic again though.