Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

As much fun the last episode, it's a tough knock to the jaw when the title character is made the absolute weakest entity.

I'm guessing that just as S01 let most know Oliver is Hood and swiftly killed that crowd, S02 is going to depower itself in a similar fashion. No matter, ARROW is a thrill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bro you poo poo talk Amell we will come for you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

soapgish posted:

Started not long ago, now to date.

As much fun the last episode, it's a tough knock to the jaw when the title character is made the absolute weakest entity.

It works for Batman.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

soapgish posted:

Started not long ago, now to date.

I'm guessing that just as S01 let most know Oliver is Hood and swiftly killed that crowd, S02 is going to depower itself in a similar fashion. No matter, ARROW is a thrill.

No. It's actually boring when the Main Character can just outpower everyone. That's why Superman Stories are best when it's Supes struggling with his ethos. Not him fighting some dude.

Ollie having to fight smarter than his enemy in order to beat them, or finding a non fighting way to beat them is far more interesting from a story standpoint.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I completely agree. The place I'm coming from in saying that is this strange spot of finding the other stuff more interesting as though Arrow is simply the toll for telling the story, much like Batman is often but a supporting role in his own tales. Want to see more Flash, Red Arrow, and Deathstroke? Wait for the green clothes to arrive and we can finally get on with it!

And I find underdog villains far more interesting compared to the underdog heroes. Nothing against the show or Saint Amell, they're great, I just hope Arrow is on a more even playing field moving forward.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If you're not completely alone in your opinion, you're certainly in the minority. Ollie's pretty rad.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

soapgish posted:

I just hope Arrow is on a more even playing field moving forward.

I personally have no problem with a hero who has to exert himself and do some serious thinking/strategizing in order to take down bad guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Habibi posted:

I personally have no problem with a hero who has to exert himself and do some serious thinking/strategizing in order to take down bad guys.

Yes, because that means he'll need gadget arrows.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Aphrodite posted:

Boomerang arrow.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Dexo posted:

Ollie having to fight smarter than his enemy in order to beat them, or finding a non fighting way to beat them is far more interesting from a story standpoint.

Yes, this totally worked in his fight against Grundy, where his master strategy was to hit him harder than the last time.

Oh, or how about his last fight against Barrowman where his new strategy was to get hit a lot? Yeah, that worked out great.

What I'm saying is that he really needs those trick arrows.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

Yes, this totally worked in his fight against Grundy, where his master strategy was to hit him harder than the last time.

Oh, or how about his last fight against Barrowman where his new strategy was to get hit a lot? Yeah, that worked out great.

What I'm saying is that he really needs those trick arrows.

He used one to beat Barrowman, though?

It was a dagger arrow.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Here's a new trailer for next week's episode. It's a lot of the same footage as before but with some new stuff mixed in, including more shots of Roy HITTIN' STUFF.:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=344389169032455&set=vb.104137579724283&type=2&theater

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
:siren: Bronze Tiger spotted :siren:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I meant more generally than just Arrow, but yes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Habibi posted:

I meant more generally than just Arrow, but yes.

Not...arrows...?

Does not compute.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Phylodox posted:

Not...arrows...?

Does not compute.

Check out the animated short film on Green Arrow. Staring Neal McDonough as Ollie and Malcolm McDowall as BARROWMAN Merlyn.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Aphrodite posted:

Fake Cat Arrow

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Ok I'm officially pumped for the back half of the season. It looks like Laurel will do something other than nag and be in danger, though the shot of her with her mouth covered is not reassuring. If she's supposed to be a bad rear end eventually, she needs to kick rear end at some point. Even if its just a little bit like in season 1.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
:siren:SPOILERS!:siren: for the upcoming episode (and possibly the Flash pilot).

TV Guide posted:

Will we find out what happened to Barry Allen when Arrow returns?— Jonah
Yes, and Oliver won’t be too happy about the repercussions of Barry’s accident, since they will draw Felicity out of Starling City when he needs her the most. Olicity fans, brace yourself for a devastating lovers’ quarrel. (Fine, I know they’re not lovers, but a girl can dream.)

Felicity leaves Starling to check on Barry! :3: I'm all for it. They're adorable together and even though there's no way she'll be gone for long, this means we're almost definitely going to get Felicity in the Flash pilot. Hooray! :buddy:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
Speaking of crazy-rear end trick arrows, io9 had this list recently: 16 Trick Arrows That Make Green Arrow's Boxing Glove Look Cool. I can't decide if my favorite is Fake Cat Arrow or Nuclear Bomb Arrow. :allears:

atomicgeek fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 9, 2014

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Chef Bromden posted:

Blackthorne always looks life he smelled something bad.

I've always seen it as him constantly doing as awful Bobby DeNiro impression.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I think I figured out what happened to Katie Cassidy's face/general look. She's been looking thinner recently, and I bet it's because she's training to take over as Black Canary. They said she becomes Black Canary "later than you hope, but sooner than you expect", and the end of this season fits that pretty well.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

atomicgeek posted:

Speaking of crazy-rear end trick arrows, io9 had this list recently: 16 Trick Arrows That Make Green Arrow's Boxing Glove Look Cool. I can't decide if my favorite is Fake Cat Arrow or Nuclear Bomb Arrow. :allears:

The best part of Fake Cat Arrow is that it requires two arrows to work! One for the stuffed cat and one for the "meow" noise!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Kruller posted:

I think I figured out what happened to Katie Cassidy's face/general look. She's been looking thinner recently, and I bet it's because she's training to take over as Black Canary. They said she becomes Black Canary "later than you hope, but sooner than you expect", and the end of this season fits that pretty well.

I didn't think it was possible for something to happen later than 'never'.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I'll have my tumbleweed arrows ready for when Laurel becomes Black Canary.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
My girlfriend and I marathoned some Supernatural over the holidays and we both liked Katie Cassidy as Ruby more than we thought we would after seeing her on Arrow. Certainly more than any of the 'Rubys' that came after (at least so far -- haven't finished season 4 yet). It gives me hope that once she actually has some cool stuff to do on Arrow it'll all work out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kruller posted:

I just caught up with the show so I haven't been reading the thread. Is this a joke because I thought it was painfully obvious that she's had some kind of surgery. They lipo'd her neck fat or something. I don't like her new look, now she looks like every other decent looking blonde tv star.

Anyway I assume Laurel's sister will be Black Canary for another season or so, at which point she'll be killed and Laurel will take over.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Man, she must have all the time in the world to fit in filming the show, movies, and recovering from all the surgeries everyone has decided she's had.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Kate can pull this look off pretty good. She might actually be ok as black canary, but i'd still rather have Caity Lotz.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

Man, she must have all the time in the world to fit in filming the show, movies, and recovering from all the surgeries everyone has decided she's had.

Some lipo isn't a big deal and a person doesn't have to miss any work. That said, she doesn't look like she's had surgery at all, just lost some weight and started moisturizing her face with Preparation H. It's not a good look for her compared to such a healthy tone in S01, but it's Amell, not me, who has to make kissy faces at her.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Seriously my guess is it is mostly make up. Looking at GIS she looks about the same skinniness in S1 and S2 pictures.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The make-up is super heavy on this show. Look at non-Arrow photos of Felicity and you can see a huge difference.

vvv Nope. vvv

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 9, 2014

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS
Am I the only one creeped out by how obsessed everyone is with her body? She's had all of ten minutes of screen time this season, I don't know how people have noticed it enough to formulate theories to account for the supposed drastic change.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

You mean hypothesis? Not particularly, because noticing a change then briefly ruminating on it is something all people do all the time in all situations. Is it creepy because everyone is supposed to pretend to not be distracted? I don't follow, but asking a thread to cannibalize itself for seeming strange to you is more queer than people talking about something then dropping it and moving on.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea its not like I've put any thought into really, I don't even know the actress' name. But its something that was very hard not to notice, especially if you marathoned season 1 and jumped right into Season 2.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I'm not gonna make a big fuss over this because yeah, creepy, but anyone with working eyes can see that Cassidy has lost a ton of weight between seasons. I was rewatching the show with a friend recently and it was the very first thing she noticed, right from the very first second Laurel popped up in season 2. She used to be curvy. Right now she's model-industry-thin. It's even more noticeable because literally every single other member of the cast looks the exact same way they did between the season 1 finale and the season 2 opener.

It could be lipo, or it could simply be some kind of dramatic weight loss, or it could be something else entirely; I doubt we'll ever know for sure, but it'd be crazy to deny that it happened. I will just mention that she actually looks more like she used to look on Supernatural now than she did in the first season of Arrow, and just...leave it that that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It might be a necessity for the other role she is playing? It's pretty well known that actors and actresses go through some pretty radical diet and exercise plans to look the part of whatever role they're playing next. Her losing lots of weight might be a result of that, and the unintended consequence being her looking odd on Arrow.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea its not like I've put any thought into really, I don't even know the actress' name. But its something that was very hard not to notice, especially if you marathoned season 1 and jumped right into Season 2.

I think the issue most have is that her beauty outweighs her acting talent.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Rhyno posted:

I think the issue most have is that her beauty outweighs her acting talent.

She is a pretty good actress. Her Writing and plot arc has been terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dexo posted:

She is a pretty good actress. Her Writing and plot arc has been terrible.

I've seen her in other things (that dreadful horror series) and I'm not impressed with her talents. She's not the worst actress I've ever seen but she's easily the least talented on this show.

• Locked thread