Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

blackswordca posted:

I know in high school when they locked us down it took us about two days to figure out if you opened MSinfo, then opened task manager from there, the run dialog wasn't disabled and you could run anything.

Never doubt the resourcefulness of teenagers.

Edit: wrong RE word

Our standard technique was to create hyperlinks to whatever we wanted to run in Word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martyrdumb
Nov 24, 2009

pants are overrated

KweezNArt posted:

"The little stars all look the same! How can I be sure I'm typing them in right? Couldn't it just display a capital star?"
I deal with bank customers (many elderly, many stupid, mostly borderline-retarded) that can't figure out passwords on a daily basis. I've only been here for 6 months and am no longer surprised by the depths of stupidity humanity can achieve.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Between one coworker's claims of news bias and conspiracies against Apple and another trying to tell me that the NSA could have a backdoor in AES-256 that nobody noticed or is undetectable, I think someone slipped stupid pills into my department's breakfast.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Sickening posted:

How often are these patching days that take you into the night?

The new guy was made aware of the patching schedule the same time I was - a week before Christmas. A notice is sent out after the military approves a request for patching, and in the notice is the official documentation that clearly lists the patching window's date and time. It's also added to our shared calendars with a reminder in Outlook. The week of the patch window we receive a break-out list that tells each of us what servers we will be personally responsible for and what patches are going to be installed. This whole process was anything but last-minute or sprung upon him unannounced.

We patch our systems once a month after VA analyzes patches and determines whether or not they meet requirements and pass muster by not corrupting or killing test systems set up for that express purpose. Believe me when I say the folks who oversee this process have this poo poo down to a science, and nothing happens unless the paperwork is all in order and signed off by the military.

Now, you're right that we should be able to pass things off to the second shift guys, except for one little hiccup - they also have their own patching to do, so they aren't sitting around staring at the walls with nothing to do. There are a lot of things that can only be done after normal working hours when there will be minimal user impact. That's why my team is the only one with a second shift component, and why people joining the team are made painfully aware that when you start the process you are there until it completes, no matter how long it takes (unless you can convince the second shift guys to cover for you, which they sometimes will if they don't have a lot of their own work to do). Quite simply, the new guy was lucky the second shift guys were feeling magnanimous.

We have different patch windows for different networks and systems, but basically for one week out of each month we do patching. It's been that way for years, and expecting them to change the system or the process for one person is unrealistic. My normal schedule is 8-4 M-F, but during patch week I can expect to stay upwards of an hour or two late on Tuesday (if we run late), come in an hour early on Wednesday (and leave an hour early), and work 14-16 hours on Thursday (unless I choose to not come in during the day, but then I have to work Friday, plus we have patching during the day starting at noon, so I could only miss a couple hours in the morning, but it's not worth the effort of adjusting my schedule that much).

There is nothing about this that is a surprise unless you just don't pay any attention to what anyone says or emails you. If you aren't reading your emails and paying close attention to details then you have no one to blame but yourself, and I feel absolutely no remorse about you suffering for it (especially if I have to be the one to pick up the slack).

With all that said I'm cutting the new guy some slack for first-time jitters and rookie mistakes, but as it stands right now we no longer have the luxury of being able to throw additional bodies at the problem because our team size has been reduced by 50% in anticipation of decommissioning several hundred legacy servers. For the next couple months we either suck it up or quit, and since I'm not at that point yet I have no intention of leaving. There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's critical for the next few months that the new guy learn his duties quickly and well. Unfortunately, I'm not confident that he has either the willingness or interest in doing so.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rolleyes posted:

Our standard technique was to create hyperlinks to whatever we wanted to run in Word.

Insert -> From file is what we did. Just go find what you wanted to run and it would put the icon in word for ya. :smug:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

KweezNArt posted:

"The little stars all look the same! How can I be sure I'm typing them in right? Couldn't it just display a capital star?"

The fools, a * is a capital already, a capital 8, you can't make a double capital!

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

rolleyes posted:

Ours was to just use the passwords everyone knew because my school district thought it was a good idea to hire a graduating senior to be their network admin.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

rolleyes posted:

The modern version is using a VB script to bypass Applocker with Word.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Lum posted:

Agree with the above comments.

I'll work late if I can and if something needs doing, but if you spring it on me and I have other plans scheduled then tough poo poo. Give me a bit of notice and I'll try to rearrange things, but it's not always possible.

Not on fire not my problem. It can wait till the morning.

Saying that, I do try to schedule anything I need to do a minimum an hour after my scheduled end time. I got into the habit back when I worked fast food and its kind of stuck.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Blue_monday posted:

Not on fire not my problem. It can wait till the morning.

Saying that, I do try to schedule anything I need to do a minimum an hour after my scheduled end time. I got into the habit back when I worked fast food and its kind of stuck.

We support combat operations, so when our poo poo is down then people's lives are at risk. There is very little sympathy from the military leadership that we might have to stay an hour extra to finish a job instead of leaving when we normally do during the day.

J
Jun 10, 2001

hihifellow posted:

Ours was to just use the passwords everyone knew because my school district thought it was a good idea to hire a graduating senior to be their network admin.

Ours was to just wait until the teacher or lab supervisor was helping someone in front of you so they couldn't see your screen, then open notepad, hand them the keyboard and say "hey can you put in the password so I can get to X," and boom now everyone knows the password. If the password ever got changed (which it hardly ever did), repeat this trick as needed. :buddy:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

KweezNArt posted:

To be fair, this IS crappy design 99% of the time. Masking passwords only helps if someone else can see what you type, but most of the time that's not the case, or you're someplace (home) where that's OK.

I'm really enamored with unchecked-by- default "show characters" check boxes below password fields.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, this IS crappy design 99% of the time. Masking passwords only helps if someone else can see what you type, but most of the time that's not the case, or you're someplace (home) where that's OK.

I'm really enamored with unchecked-by- default "show characters" check boxes below password fields.

Or they could make it like *nix and just not show what your typing at all. :smug:

namol
Mar 21, 2007

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We support combat operations, so when our poo poo is down then people's lives are at risk. There is very little sympathy from the military leadership that we might have to stay an hour extra to finish a job instead of leaving when we normally do during the day.

So is this all manual or do you guys not roll patches through some type of automated system like puppet or sccm?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

ratbert90 posted:

Or they could make it like *nix and just not show what your typing at all. :smug:

I worked with some godawful thing that would show dots that had no relationship to what you were typing. for instance, you'd type three chars, and you'd see six dots. Type a 7th char and the display would reduce to three. Great out of the box idea, but it was REALLY REALLY distracting when actually using the thing.

I wish i could remember wtf it was, though.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I don't see why you'd have to wait around all night babysitting patch updates. Doesn't that other group you talked about ensure patch compatibility and stability? Can't you just use sccm or puppet to push them out?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

nitrogen posted:

I worked with some godawful thing that would show dots that had no relationship to what you were typing. for instance, you'd type three chars, and you'd see six dots. Type a 7th char and the display would reduce to three. Great out of the box idea, but it was REALLY REALLY distracting when actually using the thing.

Lotus Notes either shows 3 (or a random number I can't remember) 'X' characters for each character input and when the X characters fill the box it does a sort of clear/scroll thing that basically looks like what you described. I thought it was pretty dumb but most of the users I supported typed with one to two fingers and never looked at the screen in the process so they didn't notice.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

namol posted:

So is this all manual or do you guys not roll patches through some type of automated system like puppet or sccm?

Puppet is really inappropriate for this. Satellite, Tivoli, HPSA, or whatever, though..

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One of my vendors has really lovely hold music. I mean loving terrible. Static is not what I want to hear when I call in for VOIP service. I opened a ticket. Whatever they're running internally only supports 8bit, 8khz, mono .wav files. In 2013.

Then I called in again on a non-hold music issue. "Come Fly With Me" was on a loop. At ten recommendations to pack a small bag, I opened another ticket. So it turns out my VOIP vendor can only ever have lovely, looped hold music. For the duration of the contract.

gently caress you VOIP vendor.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mllaneza posted:

One of my vendors has really lovely hold music. I mean loving terrible. Static is not what I want to hear when I call in for VOIP service. I opened a ticket. Whatever they're running internally only supports 8bit, 8khz, mono .wav files. In 2013.

Then I called in again on a non-hold music issue. "Come Fly With Me" was on a loop. At ten recommendations to pack a small bag, I opened another ticket. So it turns out my VOIP vendor can only ever have lovely, looped hold music. For the duration of the contract.

Did they complete the trifecta by having the music also interrupted every 5 seconds by a recording saying how important their call is to you blah blah blah, which always causes you to think that maybe THIS TIME it's a real person, never letting you just relegate the hold music to the background of your mind so you can continue on other work? Because that's my FAVORITE THING. :suicide:

skooky
Oct 2, 2013
On a happier note, one of our domain registrars we would deal with in a previous job basically just had David Bowie's "Golden Years" on repeat for their hold music. Used to love calling those guys! :pervert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

When I used to call FAS for support, their hold music sounded like I was winning battles in Dragon Warrior. It owned.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I just wanted to pop in an mention, as many posters in the past have, that I'd like to praise every single poster in this thread who's sung praise for PDQ Deploy. Being a Mac-heavy district, most of our attention is supporting apple products, and PDQDeploy fits in perfectly with the handful of labs (maybe 200 machines total) running Windows. Being the only competent tech on the team, I'm tasked with "figuring out how to do everything" , and PDQ took a huge burden from my shoulders.

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

GreenNight posted:

When I used to call FAS for support, their hold music sounded like I was winning battles in Dragon Warrior. It owned.

All hold music should be chip tunes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

skooky posted:

On a happier note, one of our domain registrars we would deal with in a previous job basically just had David Bowie's "Golden Years" on repeat for their hold music. Used to love calling those guys! :pervert:

I had a client who used the entire album of London Calling. It was a pet groomer.

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe

nitrogen posted:

My FIOS router did that. loving annoying.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

The third party we use for invoicing has some awesome hold music. It sounds like the Ghostbusters theme. I tried doing a song look up on my phone but it couldn't recognize it :(

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

ijustam posted:

The third party we use for invoicing has some awesome hold music. It sounds like the Ghostbusters theme. I tried doing a song look up on my phone but it couldn't recognize it :(

Was it I Want a New Drug?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

That file format restriction for music-on-hold is pretty common, due to most VOIP systems running G.711 for most of its devices, as well as PRIs, etc, which is an 8 pit, 8khz, mono codec. That way they don't have to dedicate any transcoding resources to MOH.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
In between doing labs at an IT certification course I'm (re)reading the old thread in the Goldmine.

Did Dick Trauma ever find out what happened to his old pre-pod company with Tony?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

GreenNight posted:

One of our telco providers had something from Legend of Zelda as their hold music.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

stubblyhead posted:

If the word "Quack" appears in the song at any point, it may be a Weird Al album.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So a call came in:

:newlol: Hey blackswordca, last Friday none of the network drives were working when I was connected to the terminal server
:monocle: Oh, ok, so none of the network drives are available?
:newlol: No, they are fine now. But were broken last Friday

:doh:

I need an extra set of hands in here this week, but the sr and account lead are nowhere to be found. Ive gone from 20 tickets on the clients board before Christmas to over 60 now and they are mostly high priority issues.

I had a phone interview this week that went really well. Just have to wait and see if any contracts come out of it.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That file format restriction for music-on-hold is pretty common, due to most VOIP systems running G.711 for most of its devices, as well as PRIs, etc, which is an 8 pit, 8khz, mono codec. That way they don't have to dedicate any transcoding resources to MOH.

Yeah I was going to say that's the restriction on ours and if I don't drop it in at the correct format it won't play. The last version used to do a conversion on the fly whenever an audio file had the wrong format but that changed at some point.
I just use audacity now for conversions and I make sure it sounds ok before I drop the files in. The built in file converter for the phone system makes music sound like scratchy poo poo. At least with audacity I can smooth out noise and other crap.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

blackswordca posted:

I need an extra set of hands in here this week, but the sr and account lead are nowhere to be found. Ive gone from 20 tickets on the clients board before Christmas to over 60 now and they are mostly high priority issues.

Wouldn't either of those 2 being there just result in more stuff being broken?

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

Wouldn't either of those 2 being there just result in more stuff being broken?

The pessimist in me says most of these are because of the internet cut-over. I'm going to start doing a quick RCA on these to confirm.

BringBackATV
Jan 1, 2002
Rainbow Rider

stubblyhead posted:

Could also have been Pop Music by M - the first song with the Ghostbusters/New Drug rhythm

gone soon

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
A call came. 30 minutes of heavy breathing while customer slowly did everything themselves and I basically did nothing. One of those calls I hope got QAed so a bunch of managers were stuck sitting around listening to it.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Looking at the tickets, most of the new ones this week are caused by the ISP cut-over. Either updates to back end settings like reverse DNS or zone files either weren't done or weren't done correctly. A little of this falls on the client for not reporting the issue until yesterday then flooding me with tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the MSP equivalent of doing gently caress all work and dropping a ticket in on a Friday saying your computer's been broken all week and why hasn't anyone fixed it before running out the door early.

• Locked thread