Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The whole theme is really good and is actually used in this game for the secret Ba'al superbosses

I'm well aware, but it was originally used to announce Bravely Second and will most likely be used there as well. Really, all the Ba'al bosses are there just to tease us for BS.

quote:

Is there a trick to the Thief class? I just switched to it and for some reason my damage utterly tanked from doing 1000+ damage per attack as a ranger to doing 100. I'm not even duel-wielding.

Jobs have less multipliers the lower their levels are. Get them up a bit and they'll do more.

Terper fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I thought that was just for number of hits in an attack? With Ranger I hit eight times for around 1000 but Thief is something like five attacks and 100. That still seems way too low for a higher class level to compensate for.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Are you still using a bow? Daggers are pretty bad and a bow will do way more even with a lower weapon rank.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Aurain posted:

Seriously. In the full game there's a nice fleshed out encyclopaedia to supplement the plot. I haven't gotten around to reading the two longest parts of it just yet, but just reading the notes that get added and updated at plot intervals reveals a lot of things that most JRPG's dare not to tread.

General early to mid game, avoid if you're only playing the Demo:I mean, the fact that you're not just beating the jobmasters in a fight for the first part of the game, you're straight up killing them is pretty different to anything non-Cavia.

Yeah, in general it does get rather dark especially as so far I haven't seen certain stuff really being questioned by the characters yet.

I'm just getting toward the second Crystal and did the first two sidequests there related to the beauty products... One thing that got me is that there seems (blatantly) to be somethings seriously awry with the antagonists. These are people which were apparently once of sound mind (made clear in part by the Summoner journal entries) but whose mental state suddenly deteriorated at some point. Both of them are despatched with none of the protagonists showing any awareness that something seems seriously off there.

On the note of the Encyclopedia, I would recommend everyone playing that game to read what's in there. I have not finished the game but you get some interesting titbits in there showing glimpses of how the antagonists perceive certain events. Considering some of the poo poo you see go down it is curious how some seemingly sane characters still seem to believe what they do and I hope that does get properly dealt with in the game.

Going off on a totally different tangent. Is there somewhere when people with the game a sharing friend codes? I am feeling pretty embarrassed by CPU buddy especially after the note in the game...

vv If you have a friend who owns Bravely Default you get in game bonuses. If you don't have any friends with Bravely Default the game eventually takes pity on you and gives you a couple "Buddy Bots". When it first introduces the friend stuff in game it basically goes: "You can register friends locally. If you don't know anyone locally then you can register friends over the internet! If you don't have friends on the internet... :smith:"

Munin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 8, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm not sure I fully understand what you're asking with your question at the end there.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

The whole theme is really good and is actually used in this game for the secret Ba'al superbosses

That creepy New Year's goldfish was the hardest boss for me. Kept spawning those little goldfish and healed itself pretty frequently for a good chunk of hp.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Pierson posted:

I thought that was just for number of hits in an attack? With Ranger I hit eight times for around 1000 but Thief is something like five attacks and 100. That still seems way too low for a higher class level to compensate for.

Stat bonuses also scale with job level, which combined with fewer hits can be a major reduction. Plus the thief isn't really a hard-hitting job, its strengths are having the speed to act before everyone else, and being able to steal neat stuff. Also if you're still using a bow, you now have an A rank instead of the ranger's S, which isn't too big a difference but it is being compounded by the lower stats and fewer hits.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Oh God! I'm a sucker for insane-sounding themes like that... :allears:

So... favorite class in the game so far? Mine's Vampire, mostly because it's such a versatile class.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Gonna have to go with Pirate.

Insanely useful for debuffing bosses + the ability to do loads of damage.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Wait, so there are superbosses with timed availability? And are only accessible through streetpass once their time is up? Man, that's gonna stress the hell out of me. I don't want to miss my chance to fight a boss, and I have no chance of encountering anyone through streetpass unless I go to Gamestop.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Butt Ghost posted:

Wait, so there are superbosses with timed availability? And are only accessible through streetpass once their time is up? Man, that's gonna stress the hell out of me. I don't want to miss my chance to fight a boss, and I have no chance of encountering anyone through streetpass unless I go to Gamestop.

Don't worry about it. Using Net Invite you'll get craploads of them. They're just constantly pouring in either from Squeenix or from the people you randomly net invite. You'll get tired of having them mucking up your town after the first week or so.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Getsuya posted:

You'll get tired of having them mucking up your town after the first week or so.

Especially since the vast majority that come through are drat high level. I haven't seen that many of the level 10 and 25s. I presume that's because they get killed while the high level ones get passed around like a traditional fruitcake.

The level 25 one is surprisingly tough. Only barely beat it when my party was around level 30. It has some drat annoying skills.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Office Thug posted:

Here's a sample of old sage dialogue.

"Now look at you! A fine woman you've become! Fine and plump and, ho ho, pleasantly jiggly!" to Agnes
"She was fair, but firm. Very firm. She had taut curves to drive a man mad."
"Oh yes! If you girls would like, I would be happily obliged to make space in my own bed for you!" to Agnes and Edea

Then the next morning he asks Agnes and Edea to cook him breakfast. This stuff gets drawn out over 5 minutes. The slow old-man voice acting is what makes it really awful though (early spoilers).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQdeyCFL5eU#t=1m30s

But I guess some people find this stuff entertaining?

What helps with this: turn on the Japanese voice acting. The Ninja's speech tic works better, the Grand Marshall is Dio from Jojo and all sorts of other stuff for dumb nerds like me. The other side effect is that the Sage doesn't talk so goddamn slow, I had no idea, Jesus Christ that is awful.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

What helps with this: turn on the Japanese voice acting. The Ninja's speech tic works better, the Grand Marshall is Dio from Jojo and all sorts of other stuff for dumb nerds like me. The other side effect is that the Sage doesn't talk so goddamn slow, I had no idea, Jesus Christ that is awful.

I love how that one character's speech isn't just fast, it's all a single sentence/breath. I just wish the game didn't pause at the end of each box... it would sound so much better if it just ran through the whole speech to the end each time.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

What doesn't help with that: No English Ringabel.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I finally Streetpassed someone with the game yesterday afternoon, so I got an extra villager. :getin:

Of course, yesterday morning I finished rebuilding Norende anyway. :negative:

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Does leveling up a character in a particular job affect the stats they gain across all jobs i.e. does having given Ringabel 50-odd levels of magic classes mean it's too late to turn him into a physical attacker now that black magic is losing its lustre? His physical stats as a level 1 vampire were far worse than Tiz'.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So just to make sure that I'm not getting this wrong as well, the support abilities you unlock by levelling up a job (the ones marked with the blue mark in the ability list of the job) have to be equipped to function at all right? So Agnes is a red mage, she just got turn tables but that won't equipped unless I pay the point to equip it at which point it'll function on any job? Just making sure they aren't passive for their job but equipping them makes them function for other jobs.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

I finally Streetpassed someone with the game yesterday afternoon, so I got an extra villager. :getin:

Of course, yesterday morning I finished rebuilding Norende anyway. :negative:

If you're on the demo, it'll carry over to the full game so yay.
If not, yay for those mii minigames on the 3DS?

Gato posted:

Does leveling up a character in a particular job affect the stats they gain across all jobs i.e. does having given Ringabel 50-odd levels of magic classes mean it's too late to turn him into a physical attacker now that black magic is losing its lustre? His physical stats as a level 1 vampire were far worse than Tiz'.

Stats change on the fly between jobs. He'll be good at magic as a mage and attacking as a physical attacker.

e: I should add that he'll have been worse than Tiz because level 1 [Job] sucks, and Ringabel is better at magic than physical naturally, though the difference isn't huge.

Edea is the best physical attacker in the game, and Agnes is the worst, but at level 14 [the job you mentioned], they only have 3 natural base STR difference in Edea's favour and 4 points in int in Agnes' favour difference. I have levelled Agnes almost universally as a supportive mage and Edea as offensive melee.

thebardyspoon posted:

So just to make sure that I'm not getting this wrong as well, the support abilities you unlock by levelling up a job (the ones marked with the blue mark in the ability list of the job) have to be equipped to function at all right? So Agnes is a red mage, she just got turn tables but that won't equipped unless I pay the point to equip it at which point it'll function on any job? Just making sure they aren't passive for their job but equipping them makes them function for other jobs.

Yes, Support abilities have to be equipped to function. Once equipped, they function regardless of your currently active job.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jan 9, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Aurain posted:

Stat chat.

So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, stat gains aren't set in stone? For example if Tiz is level 1 and is a Ninja and gets +3 dex/level, so at level 3 he'd have a total of +6 dex. But if he were to switch to a Knight and gets +3 str/level, those 6 dex from a Ninja would go away, and he'd instead have +6 str? One thing making me hesitate to play this game is waffling around on jobs and loving up my stat gains, but if stats change on the fly depending on my level and job, I'm not concerned about screwing up my stats at all!

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Gato posted:

Just level up the Job, and he'll be up to speed with the others.

EDIT:

Wildtortilla posted:

So to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, stat gains aren't set in stone? For example if Tiz is level 1 and is a Ninja and gets +3 dex/level, so at level 3 he'd have a total of +6 dex. But if he were to switch to a Knight and gets +3 str/level, those 6 dex from a Ninja would go away, and he'd instead have +6 str? One thing making me hesitate to play this game is waffling around on jobs and loving up my stat gains, but if stats change on the fly depending on my level and job, I'm not concerned about screwing up my stats at all!

Yes, though note that if the Knight's Job Level is lower than the Ninja, the stat decrease will be quite big, so level up the Knight and you should see that you've nothing to worry about.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

You don't permanently gain stats. The job gives you a base boost and that depends on the job level. You can't gently caress it up. Once you have maxed every job, everyone is good at everything if they're equipped properly.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
This stat chat has set my heart aflutter. In the span of a week I went from uninterested and unimpressed by this game, to awaiting its release with bated breath

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I believe the only way to permanently increase stats (except leveling up of course) is to beat the superbosses given out through Streetpass/Update Data, since they have a chance to drop stat boosting items. Particularly the level 99 ones give an item that increases all stats for one character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you do want to mess around with stat gains and totals, I think some of the nemeses that S-E release for you allow you to basically steal a stat increasing item, run, steal again, run until you're content. I think only the hardest ones actually have stat increasing items as a steal item though and it may not be guaranteed. It's not as issue for anyone who isn't a min-maxer though and just to reinforce what was said, you can't mess up your stats.

e: It's possible they're only drop items too. I'm so slow that I haven't levelled enough to fight them yet.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

One funny thing I've found is that with some builds, you can go over 9999 HP. My Tiz is currently a Dark Knight with 10000+ HP which will make for some hilarious Minus Strike kills. :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Dark Knight owns, as does Vampire, yet both were nerfed for "For the Sequel" apparently.

I can only imagine what they were like before then.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Aurain posted:

If you're on the demo, it'll carry over to the full game so yay.
If not, yay for those mii minigames on the 3DS?
Yeah I'm still playing through the demo...planning on getting the full game in the next week or two. I have to say, this demo is fantastic and the stuff which carries over to the main game is really encouraging me to keep playing as much as I can.

LAMB LESSONS
Jun 27, 2003

show me ur feet
This demo is pretty good so far but I'm a little confused about equipment ranks. Like an "S" means it will give extra damage or protection or whatever, I assume, but is an "E" actually detrimental? Specifically, is there any reason not to equip black or white mages with a buckler when it says "E" for them?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
E = you get the base stats , S = 2x values of the base stats.
D = 1.2 C 1.4 B 1.6 A 1.8

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You'll still get some defensive stats from an E. I don't think they're detrimental, just far from ideal for your class so the benefit is lower than it would be on a knight for example.

I equip my mages with two rods/staves for the int/mind/magic attack bonuses and forgo the defence. I do that but I didn't actually sit down to figure out if it's actually beneficial for me to do that though. I just assumed it was and ran with it, I've seen no reason why not. They don't attack physically so losing attack power without using the Dual Wield ability doesn't matter like it does with physical attackers. :v:

e: Listen to FrickenMoron and Terper.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LAMB LESSONS posted:

This demo is pretty good so far but I'm a little confused about equipment ranks. Like an "S" means it will give extra damage or protection or whatever, I assume, but is an "E" actually detrimental? Specifically, is there any reason not to equip black or white mages with a buckler when it says "E" for them?

No. An E item gives its defense value times 1.0, increasing by 0.2 for every increase in rank. An S ranked sword with 50 P. Atk gives +100 Attack power (+200 when using 2-handed), +90 to a character with A, 80 to B, 70 to C, 60 to D, and 50 to E. An item without ranking, such as the Hempen Tunic, counts as A, and gives 1.8 the value.

edit: that's what I get for taking so long :negative:

LAMB LESSONS
Jun 27, 2003

show me ur feet
Cool, thanks.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Aurain posted:

Dark Knight owns, as does Vampire, yet both were nerfed for "For the Sequel" apparently.

I can only imagine what they were like before then.

Final Fantasy Wikia can answer this since they haven't updated their Job pages for those two jobs yet:

The Vampire had an A in HP, Strength and Intelligence (so their offensive stats were as good as the Black Mage and the nerfed Dark Knight) in exchange for lower Vitality and Spirit, while Dark Knight had an A in HP, an S in Strength, and D in Spirit... but with slightly lower Agility, and it had the worst Dexterity as well.

The new Vampire has B in HP, Strength and Intelligence, but their defensive stats were upped to C, while the new Dark Knight got it's HP nerfed down to C (so average HP), Strength to A, and Spirit to the worst Rank possible (E), but Agility got increased to A, and Dexterity to C to compensate.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That seems more like a balancing job than a straight nerfing, which is cool really. You don't necessarily want something that is far superior to the rest in a game with a job system like BD's.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Aurain posted:

That seems more like a balancing job than a straight nerfing, which is cool really. You don't necessarily want something that is far superior to the rest in a game with a job system like BD's.

Pretty much, yes. I find that the newly altered jobs make it so that none of them truly becomes horribly outclassed by other jobs. No matter how you do things, you can still find a niché for them.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Aurain posted:

e: I should add that he'll have been worse than Tiz because level 1 [Job] sucks, and Ringabel is better at magic than physical naturally, though the difference isn't huge.

Edea is the best physical attacker in the game, and Agnes is the worst, but at level 14 [the job you mentioned], they only have 3 natural base STR difference in Edea's favour and 4 points in int in Agnes' favour difference. I have levelled Agnes almost universally as a supportive mage and Edea as offensive melee.

As far as I can tell inherent stats barely matter beyond the first couple hours of the game. I'm only on Chapter 2, but I've been using Agnes as a physical attacker and Tiz as a healer and it works just fine despite their starting stats.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Pretty much, yeah. The stat differences don't really matter... though I tend to make sure my main attacker goes before the Stillness user, so that they go before Stillness is put up. As Ringabel is the fastest of them, I make Edea into the Stillness user, since with the correct equipment Ringabel will always go before Edea, regardless of how much her Agility is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah, absolutely true. It's there if you're a min-maxer and you must be optimal at all times, but only then. Your equipment and job are by far the deciding factors on how well a character is going to do.

e: Folt has made the best case for stat priorities just there, incidentally.

Stillness explanation: It makes Allies and Enemies immune to damage for 2 turns. If you can sneak a hit in before that, it can only be a good thing.

Spoiler'd because it's on a later job and people may want to learn themselves what it is exactly.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Aurain posted:

If you do want to mess around with stat gains and totals, I think some of the nemeses that S-E release for you allow you to basically steal a stat increasing item, run, steal again, run until you're content. I think only the hardest ones actually have stat increasing items as a steal item though and it may not be guaranteed. It's not as issue for anyone who isn't a min-maxer though and just to reinforce what was said, you can't mess up your stats.

Not quite, the statboosting items are drop-only items: what people are referring to is a particular nemesis with a Japanese name that has an otherwise unobtainable dummied out/debug Elixir that can be stolen. It works the same as a normal one, but unlike the normal one, it can be sold for 25000 PG instead of 1825 PG, so by doing what you said over and over, you can get a lot of cash easily since it's a low-level enemy.

Personally I abused Merchant's Big Pharma instead: if you use Vampire's Chomp on a relatively weak enemy with a lot of HP to reduce it to 1 and then spam Big Pharma on it and get someone who can heal the party for free every turn and give the Vampire Bushido so that they can use Free Lunch every turn, you can just leave the game running for a few hours and come back to a several million PG.

• Locked thread