Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Moto X, maybe adding a Nexus 5 to my account. Italy, Greece, Croatia, Spain, and Turkey. It's a pretty long trip this summer.

Buy a Nexus 5 off google play. Get a SIM for Nexus 5 and use it on Sprint, then sell your Moto X. Your Nexus 5 will work everywhere with no effort. The Moto X will take effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The 12/31 mega LTE launch didn't pan out. Granted, with the weather things could be slow, but nothing seems to have changed. Does anyone know if the equipment supplies are moving , or if there is now a new delay ?

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'll be taking my new Note 3 to the UK in March. I plan on keeping it in airplane mode and abusing all the wifi I can find.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I'm in a sprint spark area and did a speed test with an HTC One Max on spark, got a grand total of 7mbps down. The second test got 2.2 down. The Now Network.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Partycat posted:

The 12/31 mega LTE launch didn't pan out. Granted, with the weather things could be slow, but nothing seems to have changed. Does anyone know if the equipment supplies are moving , or if there is now a new delay ?
Buffalo's pretty low-priority compared to the other major metro areas in the midwest and northeast. Actually the lowest priority, a "fourth-round market".

Current status:
NV Sites Accepted = 55%
LTE Sites Accepted = 20%
Anticipated LTE Launch = Spring 2014 (Jamestown/Dunkirk launched 12/2013)
Original Scheduled Completion = Q2 2014
Current Production Rate Completion = June 2014

xjerryx
Jan 22, 2002

Y'all are brutalizing me
After flirting with the Moto X, I've decided I'm gonna pull the trigger tonight on a Google play Nexus 5. Now the only decision is 32gb vs 16 GB. Leaning 32, but I'm wondering if there are any performance/battery issues with one vs the other.

I've looked through the last few pages and didn't see any discussion - apologies if it's been addressed.

EDIT: This was a stupid question. Nevermind. Why on earth would I get 16gb?

xjerryx fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 9, 2014

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Cause it's a cheaper!! I'm doing good with mine, but then I don't put music on my phone.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bobula posted:

Cause it's a cheaper!! I'm doing good with mine, but then I don't put music on my phone.

But WHAT IF, MAN.

WHAT IF YOU GET STUCK IN AN AIRPORT FOR SEVENTEEN HOURS AND FOR SOME REASON CAN'T CONNECT TO ANY WI-FI

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The Entire Universe posted:

But WHAT IF, MAN.

WHAT IF YOU GET STUCK IN AN AIRPORT FOR SEVENTEEN HOURS AND FOR SOME REASON CAN'T CONNECT TO ANY WI-FI
Or what if Sprint 3G can only provide you with 100kbps so you can't really stream music?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Or what if Sprint 3G can only provide you with 100kbps so you can't really stream music?

Just saying. It alleviates the need to pay extra every time you get a new phone.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
Doesn't work too well if you want to use Google Play All Access.

Everyone wonders why some people like more storage, internal or SD. Then they see Sprint speeds.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Allaniis posted:

Everyone wonders why some people like more storage, internal or SD. Then they see Sprint speeds.

I use all access and just have 30gb+ cached on my sd card.

Now I see the new version of play music finally allows you to officially cache to the sd; guessing this will mean blowing away the symlink I had setup to force this before, and redownloading everything.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Biodome posted:

I'm in a sprint spark area and did a speed test with an HTC One Max on spark, got a grand total of 7mbps down. The second test got 2.2 down. The Now Network.

I'm in a non Sprint Spark area and get 19-25mbps down and 7-10mbps up on my Nexus 5. Anecdotal I know, some areas in town I struggle to get 10 up and 2 down.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

T-Mobile will pay early termination fees for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon customers.

quote:

"Sprint is a pile of spectrum waiting to be turned into a capability. Right now, their network is completely horrible."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Allaniis posted:

Then you have to let the app connect to Google due to the DRM, right?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

The Entire Universe posted:

Then you have to let the app connect to Google due to the DRM, right?

I think it can go a certain amount of time without having to connect. I meant to try this on a 7 day cruise without internet, but forgot.

Allaniis posted:

Seriously... when I hit 3G (not roaming) I'll get about 10 seconds of audio for every minute of buffering.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'm about to travel and I had sprint unlock my HTC One. Curious if anyone else has gone through this process? The instructions they sent over are asking for a 3rd party GSM sim card before I can download the UICC unlock update over wifi, but I won't have a foreign sim until I'm abroad..

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

zer0spunk posted:

I'm about to travel and I had sprint unlock my HTC One. Curious if anyone else has gone through this process? The instructions they sent over are asking for a 3rd party GSM sim card before I can download the UICC unlock update over wifi, but I won't have a foreign sim until I'm abroad..

You could roll down to Best Buy/Target/Walmart and grab a T-Mobile SIM for :10bux:

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

SeaborneClink posted:

You could roll down to Best Buy/Target/Walmart and grab a T-Mobile SIM for :10bux:

Or Amazon for $8 if you're too lazy to leave your house.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I read this earlier today. It is tempting, but how is T-mobile's network?

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

SeaborneClink posted:

nah, its locked to domestic GSM networks, so that wouldn't do anything. there's no time to order a SIM from the country I'm headed to since I'm leaving tomorrow. I guess I'll find out the hard way? Washoping someone else has done the international unlock process

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I read this earlier today. It is tempting, but how is T-mobile's network?

Wondering this as well. Sprint data for me is sketchy (either it's awesome or non-existent) but voice service is very solid, even in a few very rural areas where I roam on Verizon. I work for a utility and spend lots of time in rural areas, so it is important for me to keep that.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I work for a utility and spend lots of time in rural areas, so it is important for me to keep that.

T-mobile is very good in most metros now but still mediocre in the boonies. If your #1 priority is connectivity no matter where you are, VZW (or a network that roams VZW) is still your best option. I now get 2G/voice on T-mo in many more places than I did before (where there was no coverage), but there are huge swaths of no coverage in rural areas, even with roaming on regional GSM carriers.

http://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/pcc.aspx/

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Wilford Cutlery posted:

T-Mobile will pay early termination fees for AT&T, Sprint, and Verizon customers.

quote:

"Sprint is a pile of spectrum waiting to be turned into a capability. Right now, their network is completely horrible."

Pot meet Kettle? Sure, T-Mobile is faster but every single map I've seen shows T-Mobile having the tiniest coverage by a longshot. I can see a whole lot of people doing this, realizing they don't have service in dick-all places except more populated areas and cancelling.

I'd love to make the switch to a cheaper/faster plan, but is it really worth it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Pot meet Kettle? Sure, T-Mobile is faster but every single map I've seen shows T-Mobile having the tiniest coverage by a longshot. I can see a whole lot of people doing this, realizing they don't have service in dick-all places except more populated areas and cancelling.

I'd love to make the switch to a cheaper/faster plan, but is it really worth it?
[/quote]

Tmobile has a better data network than sprint does, although certainly it can vary location to location. In terms of coverage vs non coverage areas, ATT and Verizon will be the winners there. Sprint and TMo are probably still two years out at least on really expanding coverage vs improving coverage where there already is service.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Now if it was Verizon paying my early termination fees, I would be all over this.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
Anyone with a SERO account tried ordering a Moto X through Moto Maker? I designed a phone and tried to buy it but when I enter my phone number it says business and corporate accounts cannot be serviced through the site. It doesn't offer a phone number to call or anything and it also says activations powered by Best Buy on the site. Am I out of luck and have to order a boring stock colored Moto X through Sprint?

e: It also looks as though Sprint doesn't offer the 32 gb version either. Lame.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Oh good, our local corporate store is now only selling Framily/Easy Pay. We had a customer go down there because we were out of stock on a phone, and they refused to do a 2 year contract.

It'll be fun getting their angry customers and also explaining to our boss why we're not selling as many Easy Pay lines.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Duckman2008 posted:

Tmobile has a better data network than sprint does, although certainly it can vary location to location. In terms of coverage vs non coverage areas, ATT and Verizon will be the winners there. Sprint and TMo are probably still two years out at least on really expanding coverage vs improving coverage where there already is service.

But at least Sprint roams on to Verizon. T-Mo just leaves you dead in the water.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bobula posted:

Anyone with a SERO account tried ordering a Moto X through Moto Maker? I designed a phone and tried to buy it but when I enter my phone number it says business and corporate accounts cannot be serviced through the site. It doesn't offer a phone number to call or anything and it also says activations powered by Best Buy on the site. Am I out of luck and have to order a boring stock colored Moto X through Sprint?

Nobody with SERO has ever been able to order through anything but the Sprint website or corporate stores. Sorry. There is always the option of buying the phone outright and then activating it without signing a new contract, but I bet that's expensive.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

bobula posted:

Use your upgrade to buy an iPhone 5S and sell it factory sealed. Use profit to buy a customized Moto X for $399. You'll probably break even after taxes ($0 out of pocket), instead of paying $50/100 for the Moto X.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Duckman2008 posted:

Better? Probably. Larger? Definitely not. Besides, isn't a big reason why T-Mobile is less congested is because everyone is using Wifi calling and therefore not actually using the network they paid for? Getting tons of people to jump ship to T-Mobile may just see speeds drop for everyone, just like what happened to Sprint when they got the iPhone.

Edit: plus roaming on VZ is pretty sweet.

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
Here's an interesting article by Masayoshi Son (Sprint's new owner) where he talks about yelling at Sprint executives, and how they've gotten used to being a loser.

http://asia.nikkei.com/print/article/11793

He also talks about causing a third of the Vodaphone Japan executives to leave after he took over that company.
Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come for Sprint.

Suppin
May 16, 2004

My Spidey Sense is Tingling. Someone must be jacking off to MJ.
If anyone wants to join my Framily - my code is B00005933DO.

email me @ b g i g l i o @ g m a i l . c o m for the other info.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

bobula posted:

Someone in the Verizon thread had an interesting solution to process an alternate upgrade on the Moto Maker website. Perhaps Sprint can do the same PIN thingy for your upgrade? Call the SERO number and ask.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

thelightguy posted:

But at least Sprint roams on to Verizon. T-Mo just leaves you dead in the water.

While Sprint has their issues their ability to roam on Verizon is why I picked them over the other cheap carriers.

Well that and unlimited data. :o:

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

e.pie posted:

While Sprint has their issues their ability to roam on Verizon is why I picked them over the other cheap carriers.

Well that and unlimited data. :o:
Haha, yeah. I'll never forget the time I was in the middle of nowhere with a busted car and a barely-there Sprint signal. I ended the call and pressed a Roaming button. Presto! Clear reception for that emergency call I had to make.

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Wait, aside from PRL fuckery you can force your phone to roam? My phone would prefer to remain completely useless, so long as it can sense the faintest whiff of a Sprint signal.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Wait, aside from PRL fuckery you can force your phone to roam? My phone would prefer to remain completely useless, so long as it can sense the faintest whiff of a Sprint signal.

If you're rooted, most versions of android will let you switch to Roam only mode. I know CM does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

td4guy posted:

Someone in the Verizon thread had an interesting solution to process an alternate upgrade on the Moto Maker website. Perhaps Sprint can do the same PIN thingy for your upgrade? Call the SERO number and ask.

Apparently Sprint doesn't offer this option (yet, they claim) but you can possibly find someone in CS to change your account to consumer type, you order the phone, then they change it back. Screw it, I don't care about the Moto X that much. I'll just get another Nexus 5 for my sister.