Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 9):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    Resident Evil Revelations (Wii U) - €24.99 / £19.99 until January 9
    Ducktales Remastered (Wii U eShop) - €8.99 / £7.15 until January 9
    Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop) - €7.49 / £5.99 until January 9
    RUSH (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 9
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Cooking Mama 4 - €29.99 / £24.99
    Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D - €3.99 / £3.59 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    KORG M01D - €24.99
    Tangram Style - €2.99 / £2.79 (permanent price reduction)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros (NES) - €4.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Resident Evil: Revelations (3DS) - €14.99 / £12.48 until January 9
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D (3DS) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 9
    EDGE (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 23
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - €19.99 / £14.99 until January 9
    Sweet Memories Blackjack (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until January 9
    Brunch Panic (3DS eShop) - €2.99 / £2.69 until January 9
    Swords & Soldiers 3D (3DS eShop) - €4.99 / £4.49 until January 9
    WAKEDAS (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 9
    Witch & Hero (3DS eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until January 9
    World Conqueror 3D (3DS eShop) - €3.99 / £3.59 until January 9
    Snow Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until January 9
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until January 23
    MYST (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 31

Contra 3 is definitely Contra 3 and not Super Probotector, so that's cool.

KORG M01D came out in most of Europe about six weeks back, but it skipped a few countries including France sor some unexplained reason, so I guess it'll be made available in those countries as of this week.

For the zillionth time, don't buy Myst.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hurrah Contra 3 at last. I'm almost kinda sad it's not Super Probotector though, I always liked the robots. Having a full speed version makes up for it.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Super Probotector sells for 20€ish cartridge only (like 50€+ boxed) here in Germany so I appreciate that release. Also 60Hz and what not, but I agree, the robots are actually cooler than the Contra guys.

Also: "Cooking Mama 4 - €29.99 / £3.59" which of these prices is wrong?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Also: "Cooking Mama 4 - €29.99 / £3.59" which of these prices is wrong?

The cheap one.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Everyone should buy Rush before the sale ends because it's probably one of the best games on the eShop

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hah, I missed Mario Bros for loving 5€. That can gently caress right off, what a joke.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Two bits of news, one good and one bad:

THE GOOD: Weapon Shop De Omasse, the "lost" fourth Guild01 game designed by Japanese comedy duo American Zarigani, has just shown up on the Aussie OFLC classification website. Level-5 IA initially declined to localise the game due to the large amount of text and extreme Japanese-ness of the script, but I guess the success of Friday Monsters helped change their mind.

THE BAD: Two Tribes, the indie studio behind Toki Tori, Rush, EDGE, etc just announced they're "rebooting", which is a euphemistic way of saying they ran out of money and had to dismiss nearly all their staff. They haven't gone into too much detail, but from the sounds of things they basically spent too much time and money on the development of Toki Tori 2 and didn't make much back. They're not closing - they're still working on their next game, and you'll still be able to buy all their old games - but still, sucks. Toki Tori 2 is still the best game on Wii U eShop, by the way.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Really? I couldn't get into it. The game was just too obtuse and didn't give any real indication of goals or what you've supposed to be doing. I can solve some puzzles to move onto the next screen, but have no idea why or what this little bird is accomplishing or why he lights up obelisks sometimes.

I really liked edge though. There are a ton of great games on eShop I enjoyed more than Toko Tori.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Really? I couldn't get into it. The game was just too obtuse and didn't give any real indication of goals or what you've supposed to be doing. I can solve some puzzles to move onto the next screen, but have no idea why or what this little bird is accomplishing or why he lights up obelisks sometimes.

I really liked edge though. There are a ton of great games on eShop I enjoyed more than Toko Tori.

The idea of the game is that you're supposed to work all this out. It takes patience and persistence but it can be pretty rewarding once things start clicking into place.

That said the other side of the coin is that it allows you to get utterly stuck. I was having fun for a while but I got to a couple puzzles that I wasn't able to figure out leading to me being unable to progress in any direction (since I'd done everything I needed to do in the other areas) and so I haven't been back to the game for ages.

hojusimpson
Mar 30, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

THE BAD: Two Tribes, the indie studio behind Toki Tori, Rush, EDGE, etc just announced they're "rebooting", which is a euphemistic way of saying they ran out of money and had to dismiss nearly all their staff.

It's always tough to hear about layoffs, especially for a solid little company. I don't know what it is but my daughter loves Toki Tori. As in the way the rest of the world is with most major marketing characters (e.g. Mickey Mouse, Angry Birds, etc.), she adores this pitiful bird. I must say I'm quite taken by both games as well.

I don't know how I missed that they made RUSH and EDGE. A quick look at the reviews shows that they're at lesat average, so I guess I'll go throw them a bone as a way of thanks.

Regy Rusty posted:

\That said the other side of the coin is that it allows you to get utterly stuck. I was having fun for a while but I got to a couple puzzles that I wasn't able to figure out leading to me being unable to progress in any direction (since I'd done everything I needed to do in the other areas) and so I haven't been back to the game for ages.

Each time I became stuck beyond belief in that game, we took a break for a few days. Once we got back into things, we'd beat the puzzle within a few attempts. I wonder if it's because the puzzles don't follow a gradual order, like in some games. You need to either remember something subtle from long ago, or solve the timing, or just guess. A fresh mind and eyes did me wonders. Er... most of the time.

hojusimpson fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jan 9, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

EDGE is awesome, if I hadn't played it to death on my phone already I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Actually, I only ever did a handful of the Extended levels. Can anyone tell me if you can start right on the Extended levels, because I'd pay two bucks to be able to play through them with physical buttons.

I've only done the first set of levels on Rush so far but I've had fun with it so far, I'm sure it'll get extremely difficult pretty fast. :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I started playing Toki Tori and it was ok I guess as far as puzzle games go. The hard puzzles are actually hard, which is refreshing. Also bird with a giant ice gun :3:

Toki Tori 2, though… Seriously, what the hell am I doing in that game? Would it hurt to have any context or backstory or anything? Not that I love tutorials but there's nothing. It's very jarring and I gave the game a shot but I have no idea why I am doing anything so I have no motivation to play it. Even something as simple as "Save the princess" is enough, this game gives you literally nothing.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I started playing Toki Tori and it was ok I guess as far as puzzle games go. The hard puzzles are actually hard, which is refreshing. Also bird with a giant ice gun :3:

Toki Tori 2, though… Seriously, what the hell am I doing in that game? Would it hurt to have any context or backstory or anything? Not that I love tutorials but there's nothing. It's very jarring and I gave the game a shot but I have no idea why I am doing anything so I have no motivation to play it. Even something as simple as "Save the princess" is enough, this game gives you literally nothing.

Toki Tori 2 reaches a story a little bit into the game, you have to travel through a cave and reach a town as a sort of an extended tutorial, then the world opens up to you. It does give you guidance, just stick with it.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
What time does the 3ds eshop usually update? I need my Chibi Robo!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Noon Eastern if you're in North America.

Whenever the hell NOE pres butan if you're in Europe or Australia.

Although we're not getting Chibi Robo afaik so I'm guessing you're in NA.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
PAL update (week of January 9):

quote:

WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES) - €7.99 / £5.49
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Wii Fit U Trial Version (Wii U) - free for 31 days, available until January 31 (Balance Board required.)
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - €1.99 / £1.79 until February 1

3DS RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Cooking Mama 4 - €29.99 / £24.99
    Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D - €3.99 / £3.59 (permanent price reduction)
3DS eSHOP
    KORG M01D - €24.99
    Tangram Style - €2.99 / £2.79 (permanent price reduction)
3DS VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Mario Bros (NES) - €4.99 / £3.59
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - €5.99 / £5.39 until January 23
    MYST (3DS eShop) - €9.99 / £8.99 until January 31

NA update (week of January 9):

quote:

WII U RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Cocoto Magic Circus 2 - $29.99
WII U VIRTUAL CONSOLE
    Gradius (NES) - $4.99
WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    EDGE (Wii U eShop) - $1.99 until February 1

3DS eSHOP
    Chibi Robo: Photo Finder - $9.99
    Chibi Robo: Photo Finder (demo)
    Jump Trials Supreme (demo)
3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    Code of Princess (3DS) - "More than 30% off" from January 13-20
    Etrian Odyssey 4 (3DS) - "More than 30% off" from January 13-20
    Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS) - "More than 30% off" from January 13-20
    EDGE (3DS eShop) - $1.99 until January 23
    Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop) - 25% off until January 23
    Darts Up 3D (3DS eShop) - "More than 50% off" until January 30
    Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns (3DS) - $19.99 until January 31
    Hometown Story (3DS) - $29.99 until January 31
CLUB NINTENDO DIGITAL REWARDS
    Balloon Fight (Wii U VC) - 200 Coins, available until January 12
    Mario's Picross (3DS VC) - 100 Coins, available until January 12
    Starship Defense (DSiWare) - 150 Coins, available until January 12
    Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (Wii VC) - 150 Coins, available until January 12

Still no SMB3 in NA Man, NOA really hates you dudes. Hey, at least you get Chibi Robo!

RE: the Atlus sales, I'm guessing "more than 30% off" equates to a $10 discount, ie those three games will be $20 each, but don't quote me on that.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
So with this new Chibi Robo, how much of it is AR Stuff, and how much is straight up old chibi-robo? The trailer seemed to suggest it's 50/50. Was old chibi-robo a minigame collection of sorts? Like you did odd-jobs for other robots?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Fancy Hat! posted:

So with this new Chibi Robo, how much of it is AR Stuff, and how much is straight up old chibi-robo? The trailer seemed to suggest it's 50/50. Was old chibi-robo a minigame collection of sorts? Like you did odd-jobs for other robots?

The Gamecube version was more or less an open world game that you explored and went around helping people, finding items, things like that. If Photo Finder captures even 1/10th of the exploration of the GC version then it'll be worth the $10.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hometown Story is a $20 game at best.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Still no SMB3 in NA Man, NOA really hates you dudes. Hey, at least you get Chibi Robo!

This right here is bullshit. C'mon, NOA! Let me get my nostalgia fix so I can forget the fact that one of my most played games in 2013 was a repetitive slogfest that had me going through the motions. Especially because I despise the main female character and her retarded verbal tic.

Over 200 hours of Project x Zone, almost 90% of which was played on commute. I've made some bad decisions. :negative:

Please NOA. Stop me from being the worst.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

NOA can't save you from yourself, Wark Say.

If NOA not giving you guys some old Mario game is bad, imagine what it's like hearing you discussing the new Chibi Robo while knowing it's yet another game we will be missing here in good ol' Europe. We can't even claim to have Inazuma Eleven over you people anymore.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They really need to fire Reggie and get someone better in charge of NoA.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

Rirse posted:

How about no besides Reggie isn't in charge of which virtual console games get released on the VC

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Reggie has no power over pretty much anything. Whoever they'd get instead would be forced to do whatever NoJ tells them to, nothing would change.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

YourAverageJoe posted:

Reggie has no power over pretty much anything. Whoever they'd get instead would be forced to do whatever NoJ tells them to, nothing would change.

He's really more of a mascot :allears:

"MY BODY IS READY" is not the thing an executive latches onto as a catchphrase.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Rirse posted:

I thought Iwata was NOA head now?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

bushisms.txt posted:

Oh yeah that's right. I keep thinking Reggie is the President of NoA, but he more of a figurehead at this point. Still wish they speedup the VC releases here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wish some of the Japanese executives would spend a month or two living in America per year. Like, the streetpass didn't get better with the relay until some executives noticed they were getting hardly any passes when they went on vacation here.

I work at an auto plant, their foreign executives, and even foreign desk jockeys and programmers like myself always spend a few months here and rotate out of locations around the world. I feel they really understand the differences in culture between our nations and it helps us make a superior product.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My guess would be that he really just signs off on projects after they have been approved by lower level management. Aside from a couple games he might play in Japan on a business trip and like, he probably leaves it to the lower level management to determine what is coming over.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

bushisms.txt posted:

Iwata took over the role of CEO of Nintendo of America when the previous dude moved back over to Japan for a position with Nintendo Co. Ltd., Reggie's still president and COO like he was before.

The problem is that the regional branches are mostly sockpuppets with little autonomy.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
I'm sure Nintendo will see no benefit to Sony allowing their western divisions have a large say in how the PS4 was designed. Nope, no upside at all.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Fancy Hat! posted:

I'm sure Nintendo will see no benefit to Sony allowing their western divisions have a large say in how the PS4 was designed. Nope, no upside at all.

All the decision makers in Nintendo's western division seem like empty suit yes-men though. So if they had more input in console design, who knows what dumb poo poo they'd think a console needs.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How do you guys know so much about the inner workings of Nintendo

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Help Im Alive posted:

How do you guys know so much about the inner workings of Nintendo

Their uncles who work there, obviously.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
A few people I know have had dealings with Nintendo and while obviously they didn't have deep insight, they said it's basically run like a typical Japanese organization where everything flows down and nothing flows up. Basically, the little guys have no say in what is done and what the big guys say is law.

The issue is a lot of the big guys at Nintendo are super conservative and unwilling to take risks.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

robodex posted:

A few people I know have had dealings with Nintendo and while obviously they didn't have deep insight, they said it's basically run like a typical Japanese organization where everything flows down and nothing flows up. Basically, the little guys have no say in what is done and what the big guys say is law.
That sounds exactly like every organisation, not just Japanese ones.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Wii U is saved! Y'all ready for FLAVOURED CATS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sGQQ6DziDg

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

EAT IT, Ouya!

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
...B-Bubsy? Is that you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Something about the way the description was worded made me think it was written by a Dutch person. I took a look at the twitter account linked in the YT profile and, sure enough, these guys are from The Netherlands.

My country never fails to disappoint me. :negative: