Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Why not just play Arma 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'm not asking about Arma III, just II.

If you gotta know why, it's because these guys are very casual and will not pony up the cash for a newer game, that's not significantly improved (in their view) from II. It was very difficult to get them to pay for this game in the first place. And personally, I'm not interested in plowing more cash into a franchise I'm not that enthusiastic about.

Does Arma III have exactly the feature that I'm asking for or something?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Anyone know some games where you have to build a base and hole up/defend? I love the first couples nights of a Minecraft game, and the third mission from Starcraft, but there don't seem to be many survival games where you actually get to build your own base/house.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alabaster White posted:

Anyone know some games where you have to build a base and hole up/defend? I love the first couples nights of a Minecraft game, and the third mission from Starcraft, but there don't seem to be many survival games where you actually get to build your own base/house.

Have you tried the original X:Com? You get to build your own base (several, in fact), and if it's attacked by aliens you'll have to defend it with any soldiers you have on-base.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Alabaster White posted:

Total Annihilation? There are several defense based missions, and playing against hard AI should at least keep you occupied. It's a bit old though. Supreme Commander is supposed to be similar in that regard, but I've never actually played it.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Recommend me a metroidvania other than Metroid and Castlevania please. Here are the metroidvanias I played:
- Bunny Must Die: Great game, very agile character, and fun game play.
- Cave Story (the original 2D version): Great game.
- La Mulana: Great game. Can be cryptic. Very challenging.
- Rogue Legacy: Good game, but gently caress New Game+ and the fact that you are forced into it after you beat it.
- Unepic: Do you love inventory management and rigid combat? Well I sure don't.
- Untitled Story (the game where you play as an egg): Surprisingly good.
E: - Dust an Elysian Tale: Great game. Spinning and spamming magic is fun.

Another thing: Does anyone remember that Japanese flower puzzle game? I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 5, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Recommend me a metroidvania other than Metroid and Castlevania please. Here are the metroidvanias I played:
- Rogue Legacy: Good game, but gently caress New Game+ and the fact that you are forced into it after you beat it.

Another thing: Does anyone remember that Japanese flower puzzle game? I tried googling it but couldn't find it.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City

I've not played it my self yet but I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Alabaster White posted:

Closest I can think of are Stronghold (and Stronghold: Crusader), the Dungeon Keeper games (even though they're old as hell), and Evil Genius, though they're less "survival" and more "defensive RTS". Or you could try Dwarf Fortress :haw:

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Aquaria, Guacamelee, Valdis Story.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Shadow Complex for the 360 was pretty rad back when it came out. Albeit that was my first Metroidvania type game so I may be a little biased.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Alabaster White posted:

I post this a lot in this thread, but you might like Factorio. You start as a dude with a pickaxe and have to build automated systems to mine/research/defend yourself from increasing waves of monsters (or just dick around in free play mode.)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Alabaster White posted:

Depending on if you enjoy old games, have you tried "Horde"? You play as a farmer under constant attack from waves of monsters. Between waves, you get to build up your farm and lay traps, bait etc to help you fend off.

Natural Selection is a multiplayer first person shooter where two teams (aliens and humans) battle it out. One person on each team, however, has the ability to build structures as the other team members fight.

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Koumajou Densetsu 2 is a Castlevania clone and plays very much like Castlevania SOTN. So much it's almost a shameless rip off. Its a Japanese game though there are patches to make it English.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 5, 2014

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alabaster White posted:

7 days to die takes the base invasion mechanic to the extreme, as you're overrun every night by zombies that tear down your walls. Rust will have you fearful of every other human in the game world because they will go bandit on your rear end. Day Z is the same thing, but without the minecraft building.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I wish there were one of these multiplayer survival pvp games that instead focused at least a little on cooperative play. DayZ, Nether, and Rust all turn into deathmatches. Why can't I have a co-op survival game?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Alabaster White posted:

Don't Starve, Dwarf Fortress (the survival bits go out the window if you pick a peaceful zone) and Gnomoria (DF Clone). Towns started out as a DF clone but now it's more of a Majesty hybrid where you make a happy town to attract heroes to clear out the dungeons below you, then take the goodies the heroes find to build more town.

If you want to go really old and clunky, Stranded II is free and is all about building poo poo while horribly animated lions try to eat you. Don't Starve is a better version of it though.

If you want to go Tower Defense, is there any base building in Sang Froid or is it just trapmaking? Orcs Must Die is trap building as well.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Tagra posted:

If you want to go really old and clunky, Stranded II is free and is all about building poo poo while horribly animated lions try to eat you.

Oh man! Stranded 2 was a great game. You are, well, stranded on an island. You craft tools from sticks and rocks, cut down trees, dig for fishing bait, fish, hunt birds/turtles/monkeys/lions for meat, catch butterflies, and all sorts of poo poo.

I remember a free-play game where I built up a little hut on the western side of the island, right where the sun sets. I planted a bunch of berry bushes, grape bushes, and weed (yes, in the game) all around me. Every day I would wake up, pick a few berries to eat, pick a few grapes to make into wine, and harvest a few weed plants to roll into a joint. Wander around the island drunk and high all day while chasing butterflies and hunting poo poo, then watch the sunset and go to bed. Great game. Only caveat: you have to be able to stomach early 3d graphics.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Recommend me a metroidvania other than Metroid and Castlevania please.

I'll echo Valdis Story: Abyssal City. Surprisingly complex game, with mechanics that mirror fighting games (there's combos, a style meter, supers, assist attacks, and dodge canceling built in to create resets and loops and all sorts of other fancy stuff) as well as branching skill trees like what you'd find in Diablo. There's also some timed platforming puzzles, but nothing too difficult, from what I've played. I've been told that later parts of the game can be a little frustrating.

Game looks nice too. Lots of character art, sprites look good and have plenty of animation, and some of the backgrounds look fantastic. If that all sounds good to you, it might be worth putting on your wishlist and waiting on a price drop.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I love RPGs. Western RPGS, at least. I've played and beaten pretty much every one at this point. Now I'm looking for something new-I'm turning east, towards Japanese RPGs.

Things I like in RPGs: complex character systems with lots of stats that I can tweak that have an effect on the game. Branching and reactive storylines. Good stories and interesting characters.

I don't enjoy the art styles associated with anime, but that in and of itself is not a deal breaker. Prebuscent characters are. Characters who sound and act like they're pre-pubescent are.

I've stuck my toe in a little bit with the PSP remake of Ogre Tactics and I loved it. I also played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger when I was young, but don't know if I would like it now.

I'm thinking the Persona series is a good place to get started; any other recommendations?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Alabaster White posted:

Check out 7 Days to Die and to a lesser extent Rust (Both are early-access, but fit your criteria exactly).

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

I love RPGs. Western RPGS, at least. I've played and beaten pretty much every one at this point. Now I'm looking for something new-I'm turning east, towards Japanese RPGs.

Things I like in RPGs: complex character systems with lots of stats that I can tweak that have an effect on the game. Branching and reactive storylines. Good stories and interesting characters.

I don't enjoy the art styles associated with anime, but that in and of itself is not a deal breaker. Prebuscent characters are. Characters who sound and act like they're pre-pubescent are.

I've stuck my toe in a little bit with the PSP remake of Ogre Tactics and I loved it. I also played and enjoyed Chrono Trigger when I was young, but don't know if I would like it now.

I'm thinking the Persona series is a good place to get started; any other recommendations?

The only JRPG that I've ever been able to stand is Xenoblade Chronicles.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

prometheusbound2 posted:

First off, check out Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen if you haven't already. It's Capcom's attempt to do a western-style RPG and it's pretty unique. It probably has the best character creator I've seen in a game and the party system involves you recruiting characters online that were created by other people.

For your more traditional JRPGs, Persona 3 and 4 are certainly good choices, and if you liked Tactics Ogre you will certainly like Final Fantasy Tactics. The other series I would recommend is Suikoden. They're a little hard to find these days but they're worth tracking down. Any of the console games in that series are great except for Suikoden IV.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

prometheusbound2 posted:

The only anime thing I remembered about Chrono Trigger was that the character design was done by Akira Toriyama (the Dragonball guy) but other than that nothing stands out. I know you could say nostalgia could be a factor but Chrono Trigger is the best RPG I've ever played. I ran through it a month ago and it was still great. The character stats are pretty shallow other than how you can mix and match the special techniques but the sidequests that involve going back and forth through time to complete them are pretty neat.

Edit: Oh yeah definitely check out Dragon's Dogma. That game blows Skyrim out of the water.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm looking for a single player RPG with MMO style combat, meaning real-time turn-based via global cooldown.

In other words, I'm looking for something with a WoW-style combat system and philosophy where you can build a character, then think up complex cast orders to achieve max speed and efficiency, and where positioning can be important depending on the situation.

Ultimately I'd prefer a game with a WoW or Dark Souls style third person camera view, but I'm open to other options.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looking for a strategy game with no reflexes required. Turn-based or slow is good. I'm thinking along the lines of Unity of Command, but with RPG elements like FTL. (I loved XCOM but I am too cheap to buy the new expansion). Why aren't there enough good strategy games??

The upcoming Age of Wonders III looks good.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 9, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Frijolero posted:

Looking for a strategy game with no reflexes required.

If you have a 3DS, Fire Emblem: Awakening is really drat good.

Expeditions: Conquistador sounds a lot like what you want though. The combat is essentially X-Com light and it adds a lot of RPG mechanics and even some interesting moral choices, usually where things will end up bad for someone no matter your choice.

Dementedghost
Jan 7, 2010

Running 1.86 miles without dying is literally impossible
Great Green, try Xenoblade Chronicles

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

I'm looking for a single player RPG with MMO style combat, meaning real-time turn-based via global cooldown.

In other words, I'm looking for something with a WoW-style combat system and philosophy where you can build a character, then think up complex cast orders to achieve max speed and efficiency, and where positioning can be important depending on the situation.

Ultimately I'd prefer a game with a WoW or Dark Souls style third person camera view, but I'm open to other options.

Have you played Dragon Age? It's like controlling four MMO characters at once and you get a pause button. So you're positioning and managing cooldowns for a party with traditional roles like healers, tanks, rogues, mages and more.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mokinokaro posted:

Expeditions: Conquistador sounds a lot like what you want though. The combat is essentially X-Com light and it adds a lot of RPG mechanics and even some interesting moral choices, usually where things will end up bad for someone no matter your choice.

This game looks really friggin' cool. I am a history nerd so this is perfect. Thanks!

Why isn't it more popular? This is the first I hear about it.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GreatGreen posted:

I would also suggest Kingdoms of Amalur. It had a very singleplayer MMO type feel.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Frijolero posted:

Looking for a strategy game with no reflexes required. Turn-based or slow is good. I'm thinking along the lines of Unity of Command, but with RPG elements like FTL. (I loved XCOM but I am too cheap to buy the new expansion). Why aren't there enough good strategy games??

The upcoming Age of Wonders III looks good.

If you liked X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2 is good - and it's got a solid mod community that adds a shitton of weapons to it.

Looking for a PC FPS that sends hordes of enemies at me, guns with crazed secondary fires, and has a focus on not even trying to be realistic. I've played Painkiller: Black Edition, all the Serious Sam games, the Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes, all Quake games, Hard Reset, and Bulletstorm.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

GreatGreen posted:

You'd probably like the Game of Thrones RPG. It's exactly the WoW style combat, with nearly-pausable bullet time so you can choose and queue up the abilities. Some people didn't like that system, but seems like it would be right up your alley. It's a very underrated game.

Wouldn't suggest Kingdoms of Amalur, it's a single player MMORPG alright, but with all the tedium of a MMORPG after the initial 10 hours. Its plot is utterly worthless while GoT's is actually quite good.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 9, 2014

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

Have you ever played Final Fantasy 12? It might seem like an odd suggestion, but the combat is much more in the vein of an MMO than other FFs (with the exception of 11 and 14, obviously). You can actually "program" your party members to respond to events given certain conditions, and as you progress you unlock more complicated commands.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cacotopic Stain posted:

Anyone know which 4x space games are good? I'm looking for something with a good amount of content, depth, and the option to play as aliens or to make your own race.

I'm a page late, but try to get your hands on Galactic Civilizations II.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Shab posted:

Have you ever played Final Fantasy 12? It might seem like an odd suggestion, but the combat is much more in the vein of an MMO than other FFs (with the exception of 11 and 14, obviously). You can actually "program" your party members to respond to events given certain conditions, and as you progress you unlock more complicated commands.

FF 12 is the sport of kings, do it. MMO-esque goodness, best writing, lots of items and adventure, expansive end/post game. Do it do it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

JackMackerel posted:

Looking for a PC FPS that sends hordes of enemies at me, guns with crazed secondary fires, and has a focus on not even trying to be realistic. I've played Painkiller: Black Edition, all the Serious Sam games, the Rise of the Triad and Shadow Warrior remakes, all Quake games, Hard Reset, and Bulletstorm.

Borderlands 2, maybe? It doesn't have huge enemy hordes, but it does have a whole bunch of insane weapons and abilities.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Really Pants posted:

Borderlands 2, maybe? It doesn't have huge enemy hordes, but it does have a whole bunch of insane weapons and abilities.

Yeah this probably will work for him.

He might also want to consider Bulletstorm. It's not quite what he's looking for in that it doesn't usually have hordes, but the game definitely does not take itself seriously at all and the gunplay's a lot of fun.

EDIT: \/ Yeah, didn't notice it at the end.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 10, 2014

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mokinokaro posted:

He might also want to consider Bulletstorm. It's not quite what he's looking for in that it doesn't usually have hordes, but the game definitely does not take itself seriously at all and the gunplay's a lot of fun.
Take a closer look at his played games list. :ssh:

Anyways, how about Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon? It doesn't exactly have hordes of enemies either (until that point where it does), but if gives you a quad barrel shotgun with incendiary rounds and an upgrade for the assault rifle that turns the bullets in to LASER BULLETS (because that's how laser works now, damnit), a humongous sniper rifle with explosive rounds and it pits you against glowing loving mutant dragon things that fire fusion lazers out of their motherfucking eyes.
And because you're a goddamn Mark IV Cyber Commando, you can run stupid fast, jump really drat far, and take no damage from falling no matter the height.
Seriously, GOTY 2013.

Also, seconding Borderlands 2 hard.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

As a heads up, EYE: Divine Cybermancy is $2 on Steam today. It plays like a Deus Ex fever dream. If you have any interest at all in shooting, sneaking, Warhammer 40K, cyber sci-fi, or hosed up storylines, it's worth it at that price.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Really Pants posted:

Crap, I had a feeling I should have added this. I own the game, but I'll save the tangent for not liking it until later. (I also own EYE, which I probably should redownload.)

I have Blood Dragon bumming around in my Steam library, but I wasn't going to touch it until I finished the main game. Looks ike I'm going to break that rule!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

JackMackerel posted:

If you liked X-Com, Jagged Alliance 2 is good - and it's got a solid mod community that adds a shitton of weapons to it.

Maybe not exactly what you're looking for but I've been playing Saints Row The Third/IV the past two weeks and they're pretty much all about ridiculousness, crazy guns, and being swarmed by lots of police/gangs/GI-JOE-style-military organizations/aliens. For reference, like the third mission in The Third gives you a permanent predator drone weapon that can wipe out intersections full of police, flyable futuristic VTOLs with big laser beams that fire missiles by the sixpack, and IV features superpowers, black hole guns, guns that inflate an enemy's head until it explodes and blows up everything around it, terminator robot arms that spray a firehose of lasers and particle effects, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

JackMackerel posted:

Looks ike I'm going to break that rule!

It's completely unrelated except for recycling the engine and some basic gameplay.