Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ribs own. You should do spareribs instead of bb backs. They're way meatier, more flavorful, and cheaper (like often less than half the cost per lb of BBBacks here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

GrAviTy84 posted:

Ribs own. You should do spareribs instead of bb backs. They're way meatier, more flavorful, and cheaper (like often less than half the cost per lb of BBBacks here).

This is Gods own truth. Spare's are SOOOOO loving good on the smoker its not even funny.
Now that its warming up from the coldest depths of hell here, I might smoke something this weekend during the forecasted blizzard. BlizzardbackRibs? :P

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Babyback rib supremacy shall not be questioned :colbert:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Babyback rib supremacy shall not be questioned :colbert:

sure by all means keep over paying for inferior meat. :P Keep the prices of spareribs down for the rest of us :)

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

sure by all means keep over paying for inferior meat. :P Keep the prices of spareribs down for the rest of us :)

I'm going to have to disagree here.

Spare ribs: $2.99/lb untrimmed, 3.99 St Louis Trimmed.
Baby back ribs: $3.99/lb

Spare ribs are thinner, have much less meat to bone ratio. With baby backs, you don't have a bunch of poo poo left over that you can't serve people / have to trim off to make a presentable rack of ribs.

I mean, what do I know, living in KCMO? :)
Maybe you are getting inferior baby backs there on the coast.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

PainBreak posted:

Spare ribs are thinner, have much less meat to bone ratio. With baby backs, you don't have a bunch of poo poo left over that you can't serve people / have to trim off to make a presentable rack of ribs.

spares here are usually 1.49/lb, bbb are around 3.99/lb. Sparerib trimmings are super useful. make stew, stock, smoke them also and use like ham hocks or smoked neckbones, chop them and steam them with black beans for dim sum, sorry about your lack of imagination :P

I mean, there's a reason why spares are typically chosen for KCBS competitions over babies by teams that win, and it's not because they're cheaper. These teams are also willing to buy wagyu briskets, lol.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd argue that spares are "better" than babybacks due to their constant thickness which makes for more predictable results for competition.

I see no reason why babybacks cost so much more other than they seem to be the preferred rib for tony roma's or applebees to serve smothered in garbage.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
I've recently taken a liking to smoking turkey breasts. They come out delicious and awesome and great for a meal, but I want to make a loaf of smoked turkey for my niece's lunch sammiches. How would I accomplish this?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

XeeD posted:

I've recently taken a liking to smoking turkey breasts. They come out delicious and awesome and great for a meal, but I want to make a loaf of smoked turkey for my niece's lunch sammiches. How would I accomplish this?

activa RM
http://www.modernistpantry.com/moo-gloo-rm-transglutaminase.html

I would dry brine for a day, sprinkle with activa RM then set in a loaf pan and chill overnight again so that bond completes. Then smoke at 200 F until internal temp hits 150 F.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

activa RM

I would dry brine for a day, sprinkle with activa RM then set in a loaf pan and chill overnight again so that bond completes. Then smoke at 200 F until internal temp hits 150 F.

Holy crap Activa is cheap now, last time I got a quote for it it was like 20-100x more expensive.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Spares are way more forgiving than babybacks as well, hard to screw up. The trimmings are amazing, I smoke them right along with the ribs, and then when I defoil and apply the sauce at the last step, chop them up and toss them into the beans that are sitting on the bottom rack, underneath the smoking ribs.

copen
Feb 2, 2003

PainBreak posted:

Well living in KCMO might explain why St Louis trimmed spare ribs are just as popular as baby backs. This is not the case pretty much anywhere else. Not that spare ribs aren't superior and my personal choice.

I mean anywhere else ribs are baby back, like the song. Spare ribs means they are leftovers right?

copen fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 7, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Country style "ribs" seem to be cheapest and easiest to find in grocery stores here (NYC).

Stubear St. Pierre
Feb 22, 2006

Saying country ribs are the cheapest available ribs is like saying headcheese is the cheapest available cheese. If you prepare them like ribs you'll probably be sorely disappointed.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

GrAviTy84 posted:

activa RM

I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks, dude.

Faithless
Dec 1, 2006
Hey guys so I've just brined and smoked my own pastrami(using a number of helpful sources, all different) and was hoping someone could help me out with some feedback. First I'll show you some pictures because who doesn't like pictures of throbbing meat.

So this is the 2 week brined, 2 day rubbed thick hard meat on my smoker ready to get hot and juicy.

After keeping them just below and around 225 for 6ish hours (until internal temp reached 170), this is what they came out like. Please ignore this image of kanye.

Thumb selfie

And finally I got to use this deli ham slicer I got for christmas which I was scared I'd never use... Results -

So thoughts... It's a little too on the peppery side, and my rub was mostly pepper/juniper berries, so I plan to use a little less of the pepper. Second its a little chewy. I know it hasnt been steamed (which I plan to do with the other part of the meat) but I was wondering if theres any way to ensure the meat is more tender after smoking/before steaming. I plan to make a lot more of this and its mostly gonna be used for sandwiches.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Not the question you asked, but Cook's did a neat thing on pepper crusts - simmering cracked peppercorns in oil for a bit tones down the pepperine, but also leeches out limene and something else, I forget what, but essentially they said simmer your peppercorns in oil and then add back some flavor with lemon zest. This was on steak au poivre though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

When I did pastrami last (using Ruhlman recipe) I was actually surprised how little pepper actually was used in his crust (which was pepper and coriander not juniper). The smoke bark ends up making up the majority of the color on the exterior. So my suggestion is to cut down on your crust considerably and just smoke longer

shameless pastrami plug

slicing pastrami by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

The smoke bark ends up making up the majority of the color on the exterior. So my suggestion is to cut down on your crust considerably and just smoke longer.

That's exactly what I thought when I made pastrami the first time and it worked out great. Sparing use of my coriander and peppercorn coating balanced great with the actual meat.

As for toughness, I also cooked to 170 or so and sliced against the grain, but sliced very thin. Some of those "deli slicer" pieces look a bit on the thick side. I never bothered to try steaming it was so delicious and tender before I thought to try that idea.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Marv Albert posted:

That's exactly what I thought when I made pastrami the first time and it worked out great. Sparing use of my coriander and peppercorn coating balanced great with the actual meat.

As for toughness, I also cooked to 170 or so and sliced against the grain, but sliced very thin. Some of those "deli slicer" pieces look a bit on the thick side. I never bothered to try steaming it was so delicious and tender before I thought to try that idea.

You could probably just wrap it and take it into texas brisket territory (190-195 F ish) and it will be way tender. The pastrami I've had at Katz's was coarse chopped and was out of this world tender and amazing.

shameless katz's pastrami plug:

Katz's Pastrami on Rye by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Holy poo poo, look at all that insanely good looking pastrami! I'll be trying this on my new XL BGE once it's set up in a couple of weeks.

G1M
Dec 6, 2013
My humble addition:
couple racks and some smoked sausages

smoked/stuffed pork loin

leg of lamb

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Faithless posted:

thoughts... It's a little too on the peppery side, and my rub was mostly pepper/juniper berries, so I plan to use a little less of the pepper. Second its a little chewy. I know it hasnt been steamed (which I plan to do with the other part of the meat) but I was wondering if theres any way to ensure the meat is more tender after smoking/before steaming. I plan to make a lot more of this and its mostly gonna be used for sandwiches.

More coriander seed, less pepper (although I like lots of pepper) in the rub, and maybe reduce the length of time in the rub before smoking it.

But for more tender, take that beauty up to like 190 and then let it cool down as a whole piece. I'd recommend steaming it before slicing for immediate consumption, but that probably means you won't have any leftover for lunch slices. Also, thinner slices will give it a more tender mouth feel on your sandwich.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

shameless katz's pastrami plug:

Katz's Pastrami on Rye by gtrwndr87, on Flickr

Before I give you poo poo I must say your pastrami looks pretty good. I am hoping to start that this year as I've never made one.

But you're talking pastrami, live in Los Angeles, and aren't bringing up Langers? Please tell me you've been to Langers.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sellouts posted:

Before I give you poo poo I must say your pastrami looks pretty good. I am hoping to start that this year as I've never made one.

But you're talking pastrami, live in Los Angeles, and aren't bringing up Langers? Please tell me you've been to Langers.

:( I haven't. Technically I live in the inland empire. A lot of the hole in the walls and greasy spoon classics of LA I haven't really had the chance to have yet because if I'm going out to LA for food it is to go to some spergy nice place like a Saam at the Bazaar or Providence or something. It is definitely on my list to try eventually, though.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Not to take this into LA food chat but I eat at those places too.

The sandwich at Langers is up there for me. You smoke your own pastrami. You owe it to yourself. I'm serious man, bump it up the list. Providence is old and busted and can wait! (Ok it's really good)

BulimicGoat
Mar 19, 2007

PainBreak posted:

Your next move should be to order an AMNPS, and get a bag of Traeger hickory pellets at your nearest Ace / True Value hardware store... Or anywhere else that sells them. After having 3 other kinds, and switching to Traeger, there's no comparison.

With chips, you will be constantly babysitting the smoker, and producing OK, but somewhat ashy/acrid smoked meats.

Congrats on getting an MES, you're going to enjoy the hell out of it. :-)

Stupid question, but I've got a 30" MES and this AMNPS intrigues me. Where does it sit in the smoker?

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

BulimicGoat posted:

Stupid question, but I've got a 30" MES and this AMNPS intrigues me. Where does it sit in the smoker?

To the left of where the chip tray is on the two metal bars just above the drain pan.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
do you guys know of any good guidance on what size/brand/fuel type smoker I should get as my first one? I'll take any guidance you have.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

do you guys know of any good guidance on what size/brand/fuel type smoker I should get as my first one? I'll take any guidance you have.

My first smoker was a Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain. I've never had issues with it and it can cook just about anything you could dream of smoking. I know a lot of people traditionally use charcoal, though a few people in this thread use propane or electric smoker's as well.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

HolyDukeNukem posted:

My first smoker was a Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain. I've never had issues with it and it can cook just about anything you could dream of smoking. I know a lot of people traditionally use charcoal, though a few people in this thread use propane or electric smoker's as well.

I ended up getting this one. Someone posted about it in Coupons--on sale on amazon. I got the analog version but I have access to a friends wireless thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0034VXAY0/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

I ended up getting this one. Someone posted about it in Coupons--on sale on amazon. I got the analog version but I have access to a friends wireless thermometer.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0034VXAY0/ref%3Dnosim/water70e-20

A few people have 'em in this thread. They seem to be good.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I have and love my 18.5 WSM charcoal smoker, but it is irritating working at low temperatures with it for fish. I am looking into an electric and will likely pull the trigger in the coming week.

http://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker_p/smkmdl1.htm Is probably what i'll be going for.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
So I'm reading that 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 for ribs. Any advice on the cut I should buy and the wood I should use? I figured I'd just go for it with whatever I can find but I also have a few days until the smoker gets here so research couldn't hurt.

oh and yeah this is my first time doing this too, so any tips are welcome. I've read like the first ten and the last ten pages of this thread if that helps.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Man all you people and your rib "methods".

Buy a pack of spares (or 4). Trim them St Louis. Throw them in the goddamn cooker at 225 for three and a half hours and then eat them. Also use the trimmings for smoked beans.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

You've seasoned your WSM right?

I would blow through a full load of lump + smoking wood at full open vents to burn off the chemicals inside.

Then I would smoke some bacon or something greasy to start coating the inside and practice your temp adjustment at that time. One thing with a WSM is that when you first get it it's going to leak air and thus temp control is more difficult.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Also everyone who buys a WSM should get the cajunbandit replacement steel door and stop using the lovely pressed aluminum one immediately.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I found my stock door worked fine to cut my teeth on. I'm sure this one is better but the stock one works

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also everyone who buys a WSM should get the cajunbandit replacement steel door and stop using the lovely pressed aluminum one immediately.

I just got a 18.5 WSM and bought the replacement door but haven't had a chance to test either yet. I noticed that there is a small gap between the replacement door and the smoker on the top two corners of the door. Is this something I should be concerned with? Should I try to bend the door a little bit to make a tighter fit? I'm not near it now, otherwise I'd take a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Random Hero posted:

I just got a 18.5 WSM and bought the replacement door but haven't had a chance to test either yet. I noticed that there is a small gap between the replacement door and the smoker on the top two corners of the door. Is this something I should be concerned with? Should I try to bend the door a little bit to make a tighter fit? I'm not near it now, otherwise I'd take a picture.

You're fine. That small gap will go away on it's own as the steel heats and expands a bit. Make sure you take the white plastic off the door though!