Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I got a full set of bamboo double pointed needles! No more guessing sizes and playing mix-and-match with the random collection in the bottom of my needle bag!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Awesome!

I finished my stockinette stitch scarf, and am now going to try this one:
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-unicorn-pegasus-rainbow-scarf

I have a couple of odd questions. This is my first attempt at doing something with increases and decreases (Although, if someone has a simpler pattern with a similar yarn - I do have some Noro Taiyo and Noro Silk Garden), so it's a bit novel to me.

1) She doesn't say to bind on? Do you just start knitting?
2) And if you're switching yarns, do you just start working with the second yarn after a couple of rows and hang onto the other? Or might it be okay if I just go through with one skein then the other? I did intend to learn striping by swapping yarns at some point, but I try to limit it to one new technique at a time.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Dec 26, 2013

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The pattern does say to cast on 3 stitches.

Yeah, if you're making stripes, just go for it at the beginning of a row and hold it snug for a little bit.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Oh! Whoops. 3 stitches, got it. So work in the second skein like usual and hold it snug. That's good to know, thank you.

Edit: As it turns out, I'm using two skeins of the same self striping yarn... and I figured out kfb. Wooo.

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Dec 27, 2013

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

I apologize for the double post, but as I've discovered the hard way, it seems I am allergic to something in Noro Silk Garden as I've been working with it. :( What are some self striping yarns folks like? I guess Silk Garden is right out now...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I feel your pain, the mohair content in Silk Garden feels like a torture device to me to knit and wear.

Beyond the other, non-mohair varieties of Noro, Crystal Palace makes self-striping yarns in fingering and worsted called Mochi and Mochi Plus, and Knitpicks has Chroma which is similar, all single ply yarn with gradual color changes. Not quite like Noro but I like it.

Schoppel also makes striping yarns I quite like, in lace, fingering (Zauberball!) and worsted. The worsted has possibly my favorite color way name: Wer hat die Kokosnuss (who has the coconuts?)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Knitpicks has some self-striping superwash that I'm looking forward to making into fingerless gloves. Also, I've finally started those Nazi socks. So much ribbing. :suicide:

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Who has the coconuts? :D Hah! That's great. I'll look around for those. My hands are still burning a bit and slightly swollen, so I guess I'll get my cleaning gloves out and frog the scarf then find a nice bag to stash it in and send it along.

I do have a skein of Taiyo I could try.

And Nazi socks making you suffer seems apt somehow.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Has anyone ever done a German strap heel? This poo poo is confusing as hell.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?
Dumb question: what is double knitting and what do I make with it? I've been seeing it on Pinterest and it looks neat.

E: I've been seeing the technique but not so much the application/outcome.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

frenchnewwave posted:

Dumb question: what is double knitting and what do I make with it? I've been seeing it on Pinterest and it looks neat.

E: I've been seeing the technique but not so much the application/outcome.

Double knitting is having two fabrics on your needles at the same time. If you keep the fabrics separate, you can do things like knitting both socks at the same time and sliding one out when you bind off. Like this, http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html. Look at the picture halfway down in the I'm lost section where she's pulled one sock out from the other. The ends of the tube she's holding are the tops of the tube, and the center is where the active loops are.

If you weave the fabrics together by pulling the yarns to the front and back as you go, you create one thicker fabric. The two layers will be a little offset and will partially block the loops in the other layer. Not only is the thicker fabric warmer, it has better wind protection, and it's likely reversible.

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.
Double knitting is really fun and it makes the item feel extra plushy cause it's doubly thick. I've only made one scarf (sadly no picture taken) but here are some good examples of double-knit scarves:

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Do you have a link to that pattern? I must make that, it's magical.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

That's Hönkä. It's been on my queue foreeeveeeer, but I never got around to making it since the yarn I initially bought was way lower contrast than on the KnitShits website so you couldn't see the pattern, so that got set aside. Double knitting is great because you get super awesome colorwork designs but it's much easier than stranding. There's a couple small tricks for things like casting on, your edge stitch, and the like, but the actual knitting is pretty much just k1, p1 with different colors.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 5, 2014

Nibblet
Nov 25, 2005

Her head is full of worms.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

That's Hönkä. It's been on my queue foreeeveeeer, but I never got around to making it since the yarn I initially bought was way lower contrast than on the KnitShits website so you couldn't see the pattern, so that got set aside. Double knitting is great because you get super awesome colorwork designs but it's much easier than stranding. There's a couple small tricks for things like casting on, your edge stitch, and the like, but the actual knitting is pretty much just k1, p1 with different colors.

Yes, that's it. Sorry I should have put links in my post for all 3 scarves but they can all be found on Ravelry, just put in "Double knit". The Honka one is also on my list of ones to do. I did the middle one, which is called "Vice Versa and it did go super fast once you get in the groove of holding two different yarns.

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

I hit my nephew yet I don't hesitate to judge other people's parenting skills.
PS MY BABY CAROLINE CAN NEVER SHARE A LAP WITH BALLS. Lol
Aaaaand favorited. I wanted to attempt double knitting this year anyway and that pattern is fantastic.

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Nibblet posted:

Double knitting is really fun and it makes the item feel extra plushy cause it's doubly thick. I've only made one scarf (sadly no picture taken) but here are some good examples of double-knit scarves:

How cool! Sadly I'm restricted to the simplest of patterns these days because I only get in about 15 minutes of knitting a day. I'd love to learn this technique. Especially if I could do two socks at once. I suffer from second sock syndrome.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Thank you. Added that to my to do list. I've been wanting a good pattern to try doubling knitting with!

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

frenchnewwave posted:

How cool! Sadly I'm restricted to the simplest of patterns these days because I only get in about 15 minutes of knitting a day. I'd love to learn this technique. Especially if I could do two socks at once. I suffer from second sock syndrome.

Second sock, second glove, second baby bootie... I can never finish the second one.

I started these in '09.... I think after 2 years of never making the second one I frogged the one I had done.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seans-qandahar-gloves

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Friendly advice if you tend to stock up on wool yarn and not use it for a long time - moths got into mine and rendered a bunch of stuff unusable. Remember to put cedar balls or other bits of cedar in your yarn stash the same way you would in your sweater storage.

On the other hand it's a good reason to buy new yarn / not procrastinate in the future.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Speaking of stranding, it's something I've never managed to get the hang of but would like to start being able to use, are there any good non-video guides out there?

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Anyone made an order from Knitpick's lately? I ordered a set of circulars from them on Friday and my order tracking still says In Process. Is this normal? I want my new needles drat it. :argh:

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

Don't ever try to do an exchange with KnitPicks. They don't give you any information on your return and it took me hounding them with questions to get any info on how long things would take and I got my exchange a month later. I get the feeling it would've been longer had I not bugged their customer service people to death. The return package took forever to get to them in the first place. I recommend you pay your own return shipping as theirs is expensive too and you could likely get it to them faster and for less. I have vowed to never buy something from them that I potentially might want to return/exchange again.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I think a lot of people here are boycotting Knitpicks after the huge fiasco where they lied their asses off to customers, stored everyone's credit card info insecurely, and when it got stolen, didn't notify anyone. Good luck.

Their orders do just take a long time to ship, though. Some companies like Jimmy Bean really focus on speed, so it's easy to get spoiled that way, but Knitpicks just focuses on cheapness, apparently. Also, their packers are the worst in the business -- I don't think I ever got an order without a mistake -- so be prepared to call them. At least they're nice about sending whatever they forgot.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Urg the CC issue worries me. I wonder if I can cancel my order and just get the Dreamz set from my LYS. Thanks guys.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....
Fish Biscuit, if you can, I would. Dreamz uses KP's previous supplier for their cords and stuff, which were very thin and pretty flexible with minimal memory. Decent stuff for the price. KP's current supplier apparently has thicker cords with more memory and more issues (may or may not apart with barely any use).

S'what I hear, anyway!

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Yeah, quality control at knit picks seems to have really taken a nose dive lately. I used to make a big order a few times a year, but I just don't see myself ordering there again. Oh well.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

KnitPicks went to poo poo when the old owners (Kelly Petkun and her husband) stepped down and Kelly's stepson took over the company. He made a lot of budget cuts and went to new manufacturers and suppliers, while simultaneously raising prices, and their needles have been lovely since then. The cables in particular are awful now, they're much stiffer and the joins are pretty bad. And then they had the problems with CC numbers being stolen because their security devs were incompetent morons, and the owner issued a completely asinine non-apology about how they didn't actually do anything wrong, they just didn't explain things fully. The new website is a huge pain too and never works properly for me, especially trying to search for things. And I tried to buy a pattern from them the other day for the first time and it took two freaking days for my order to process and for them to email me the pattern, which looks like poo poo too by the way because it's just two colorwork charts but has a bunch of legal crap tacked onto it along with a full page symbol key the pattern doesn't actually use.

Yeah I kind of hate KnitShits now. I was a huge fan of theirs before everything started going to poo poo, now I never buy from them unless they have yarn on sale. They've managed to not gently caress up my orders at least but they're usually smaller ones, just a couple skeins of sock yarn or lace or something. The yarn is still decent at least.

Knitter's Pride, however, uses the old manufacturers that Knit Picks dropped, so it's the good old quality stuff and it's mostly compatible with KPicks tips and cables and things too. And the Karbonz are my favorite needles now, although the joins on them can be iffy since there's so many spots it changes material and there's tiny little jumps.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I bought the KP Caspian try it circular needle set and hate it. It's so different from my wood harmony DPN set that I bought a few years ago. The Caspian circular needle was so grippy and not as smooth as before, and the nickel needle was ridiculously slippery--though this is my first try at metal needles. The cables were not that flexible and I was annoyed when I used them.

I then took the advice of goons here and also read a bunch of Ravelry forum posts, and bought the Hiya Hiya small sharp set. It is so awesome! The metal needles have a slight coating that feels like satin, and the coating gives it a bit of resistance on my sock yarns. The joins are super smooth, the needles don't make loud clicking noises, and the cables are small and very pleasant. Definitely worth the money. I now want to pick up the large set and maybe also a set of circulars in 0 and 1 to try magic loop socks :)

But uh yeah if anyone wants a pair of free size 6 and size 7 KP Caspian interchangeables, I'm happy to ship it free to you :v:

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

I think I'm defiantly returning the knitpicks set. I didn't know they'd been having so many problems lately. Never ordered from them before but a friend has what I guess are older harmony needles which I really liked. Sucks the quality went to poo poo. :(

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I have a set of Denises from back in the dark ages, when it was either that or the terrible, inflexible, interchangeable Boyes (which I had a few of, too). All this talk of flexible cables and smooth joins has me wanting to abuse my poor Denises so I have an excuse to pick up something better...

I like my Denises well enough, but magic looping is pretty annoying. I've had to fix the join on a couple of cables over the years, so maybe next time one fails I'll try other systems.

My corrosive sweat ate away the coating and some of the metal on my Addi turbos, so I could certainly do with replacing a few of those, too.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

effika posted:

I have a set of Denises from back in the dark ages, when it was either that or the terrible, inflexible, interchangeable Boyes (which I had a few of, too). All this talk of flexible cables and smooth joins has me wanting to abuse my poor Denises so I have an excuse to pick up something better...

I like my Denises well enough, but magic looping is pretty annoying. I've had to fix the join on a couple of cables over the years, so maybe next time one fails I'll try other systems.

My corrosive sweat ate away the coating and some of the metal on my Addi turbos, so I could certainly do with replacing a few of those, too.

Chiao Goos are the best. Don't set off my nickel allergy and have awesome cables.

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

Thanks for the advice on the circular needle sets guys. I got a Dreamz set and absolutely love it. I've had nothing but metal needles till now and it's amazing how light they are and no dropped stitches when my projects fall from my lap. Stupid cats.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

jomiel posted:

I bought the KP Caspian try it circular needle set and hate it. It's so different from my wood harmony DPN set that I bought a few years ago. The Caspian circular needle was so grippy and not as smooth as before, and the nickel needle was ridiculously slippery--though this is my first try at metal needles. The cables were not that flexible and I was annoyed when I used them.

I then took the advice of goons here and also read a bunch of Ravelry forum posts, and bought the Hiya Hiya small sharp set. It is so awesome! The metal needles have a slight coating that feels like satin, and the coating gives it a bit of resistance on my sock yarns. The joins are super smooth, the needles don't make loud clicking noises, and the cables are small and very pleasant. Definitely worth the money. I now want to pick up the large set and maybe also a set of circulars in 0 and 1 to try magic loop socks :)

But uh yeah if anyone wants a pair of free size 6 and size 7 KP Caspian interchangeables, I'm happy to ship it free to you :v:

I could take you up on this if you're OK with shipping to Canada :v

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Anyone wanna swap me for this? I don't want to deal with Knitpicks return process.

I spent like $5 on it and I'm looking for something in the blue range.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I've already had quite a splurge on yarn lately. My favourite semi-local yarn store is closing, so I splashed out and bought 7 skeins in 3 colourways of Shibui. Then I custom ordered a bunch of wool from my favourite semi-local hand dyer. So of course my first reaction upon seeing a $200 tax return appear in my bank account is, "Sweet, more yarn!" I'm going to drown in the stuff.

And die happy.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

Mad Hamish posted:

I could take you up on this if you're OK with shipping to Canada :v

Sure, can you send me your details? You don't seem to have PM.
jomielll at gmail dot com

Fish Biscuit
Dec 10, 2006

I hope this isn't too much of a newbie question. I want to make Celestarium, But I don't want to make a shawl I want a big squishy throw. If I substitute the 1200 yards fingering weight for worsted how much yarn will I need to buy?

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
Has anybody here tried double knitting? I'm trying to find a good tutorial or something on it and I'm not being successful, I can find plenty of cool patterns but no how to.

During my 80 hour work week this past week I had the brilliant idea that I needed to learn something new and blew my mind reading about double knitting, since I suck really hard at changing colors and not leaving enough slack I thought I would give it a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer_Frost
Nov 30, 2011

CureMinorWounds posted:

Has anybody here tried double knitting? I'm trying to find a good tutorial or something on it and I'm not being successful, I can find plenty of cool patterns but no how to.

During my 80 hour work week this past week I had the brilliant idea that I needed to learn something new and blew my mind reading about double knitting, since I suck really hard at changing colors and not leaving enough slack I thought I would give it a try!

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall06/FEATextreme2in1.html

Someone posted this link not too long ago in regards to double knitting. I was planning on trying it this year myself so I snagged it.