Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'm glad Haunting Ground and Enemy Zero were brought up. There is the potential this game could be like those titles. (Both of which I want in spite of the former being a bit.. Japanese fetishy and the latter being a bit more expensive than I like to spend on any one game most of the time.)

Of course it could be less than good.

But being made by a new group isn't a kiss of death. A lot of stuff is by new teams nowadays and turn out popular. I still consider Legend of Grimrock to be the best game to come out that year.
And given how it is basically an homage to older games like Dungeon Master? If this team takes inspiration from some adventure titles it could be really good.

Then again I still want an "Alien Archives" collection with as many Alien franchise games as they can legally get the rights to. Because it will save me the effort of trying to get them all.

And where the hell would I even store the boards if I could somehow get the Konami, Sega, Capcom, and whoever the hell made that meh 00s arcade game?

Its bad enough I have Alien 3 in like multiple videogame formats. (Currently SNES, Game Boy, and Genesis. All three are unique though IIRC the Genesis version is also the UK Micros game design.)

Alien in two. (2600 and Commodore 64.)

Aliens I sadly only have the first person C64 game and not the awesome but minigamey US C64 one. Or the assy Famicom/MSX sidescroller Square did.

Hell, they can just put these games on the disk as unlockables and I would buy it. It worked for Splatterhouse which was really an underrated game in its own right. (Oh wait hardly anyone but me bought it and even I waited till it was cheap and used because I listened to game reviews.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Do we know if this game will be linear? The gameplay footage and fact it's a big budget game has me thinking it will be, but if it literally is a big environment where you can go wherever (within reason, of course) would work really well. If it's more like Colonial Marines (or heck, any modern FPS) get from A to B style level design though, I can't help but feel the whole premise and design collapses.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

Do we know if this game will be linear? The gameplay footage and fact it's a big budget game has me thinking it will be, but if it literally is a big environment where you can go wherever (within reason, of course) would work really well. If it's more like Colonial Marines (or heck, any modern FPS) get from A to B style level design though, I can't help but feel the whole premise and design collapses.

We barely know anything, and basically anything they say right now can't be trusted as the game could still drastically change before release.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Republicans posted:

Am I the only one who always thought the xenomorphs looked too cool to actually be scary? Just give me the modern version of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-0979SXGDE

eh, the problem is that Aliens while still a good film got rid of the survival horror aspect and sent the franchise in a completely different direction.

Alien and Aliens worked because you really don't see the alien(s) a lot, and when you do, you hardly saw the whole thing. Seriously, watch Aliens again, they really don't show up very often at all.

Alien 3 and beyond are all about the aliens, and really don't add anything new or different to the story.

And yes, the arcade game was my favorite arcade game (after TMNT).

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Jerkface posted:

Aliens Arcade ate all my quarters, yea lets have that again. Or that Aliens vs Predator arcade game, that was good poo poo too.

I played a boatload of this:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

that's pretty amusing because there were no guns till the very end of Alien 3 :allears:

so even though it was a few pages back people mentioning hiding behind a desk was silly, you have to remember Newt basically did this for how long till the sulaco and co arrive.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Photex posted:

that's pretty amusing because there were no guns till the very end of Alien 3 :allears:

so even though it was a few pages back people mentioning hiding behind a desk was silly, you have to remember Newt basically did this for how long till the sulaco and co arrive.

did you not see Aliens?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gay Hitler posted:

did you not see Aliens?

of course I did what are you referencing? are you saying newt didn't dash from hallway to hallway and hide underneath the steel grates?

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I think there's a difference between being so small that you can hide in areas physically unreachable by the xenomorphs and hiding behind a desk in the same room as one that apparently can't 'see' you :v:

Besides, in Aliens (and all other movies) didn't the xenomorphs always know where the humans were, without being able to see them? For example after the marine escape from the ambush in Aliens, they make a run to operations which is quite far away and setup base, but the aliens have already located them straight away and are attacking again? I got the impressions that the movies always made a big deal out of the xenomorphs just always being able to sense where people were?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't know, that kinda sounds like Dead Space 1 with only one enemy and no weapons, and that sounds like it could be good to me, depending on execution.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MUFFlNS posted:

I think there's a difference between being so small that you can hide in areas physically unreachable by the xenomorphs and hiding behind a desk in the same room as one that apparently can't 'see' you :v:

Besides, in Aliens (and all other movies) didn't the xenomorphs always know where the humans were, without being able to see them? For example after the marine escape from the ambush in Aliens, they make a run to operations which is quite far away and setup base, but the aliens have already located them straight away and are attacking again? I got the impressions that the movies always made a big deal out of the xenomorphs just always being able to sense where people were?

Yeah, its called being a "horror" movie. Successfully escaping the things causing the horror doesn't make for very good horror (or also in Aliens case, very good shooty bits). Being instantly killed by something that knows exactly where you all at all times would also make for a terrible game.

There's also a part in Alien where Ripley encounters the Alien in the hallway to the escape ship but manages to slip away unnoticed to shut down the self-destruct. Unless you want to argue that the alien knew what was happening I guess.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Spaceking posted:

An interview with the devs along with some concept art: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/01/08/alien-isolation-preview/
No multiplayer, hooray.

That was a pretty cool interview, but I'm a bit concerned that the question about Colonial Marines basically got a non-answer response. The trailer looks neat, though, hopefully it will be good.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

1. Suspension of disbelief so that you can enjoy the game

2. The Alien in the first film was an inherently unknowable, floating thing that exhibited a range of strange behaviours, one of which was having a streak of curiosity (Jones, Lambert), a slow, creeping gait, and more importantly, moments of docility (recall, for instance, the scene where Ripley is hiding meters away from it in a cupboard, or literally just around a corner). The super-fast, super-aware, kill-on-sight bug type aliens in the sequel are almost completely different things. Please don't for one second make the mistake that this film series has a coherent and logical Alien psychology or physiology, because they don't. For the purposes of the game, which takes its clues from Alien, and not Aliens, we're dealing with a different beast.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Does anybody think that a game like this could work in a smaller environment at all? Just sheer curiosity here based off the idea of a game that was like this but presented in a small, claustrophobic environment such as a ship that had say, 15-20 rooms that were all connected. I was just wondering since I recall the original Alien seemed to take place on a really small ship (I think it was separate from what they were hauling?) and it got me thinking if something like that could work or not?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

The towing ship, Nostromo, was the setting for almost all of the film and was quite large (about 5 decks if I recall). The crew went all over the place, but it was filmed in a way that the enviroment felt claustrophobic and oppressive. Combine this with the scene at the end where Ripley escapes in a small shuttle (Narcissus), I think a lot of people thought the actual ship was very small (it wasn't). It was also towing a gigantic refinery, but that wasn't featured as a location at any point.

ClownSyndrome
Sep 2, 2011

Do you think love can bloom on bob-omb Battlefield?
I imagine it's been mentioned in this thread at some point before, but the ZX Spectrum Alien game looked pretty interesting for the time

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-10-alien-retrospective

It basically tried to mirror the movie, but a random crew member would give birth to the Alien and another would be the Android, then you have to move the crew around to different rooms to gather items (including Jones) to defend yourself and to escape

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

ClownSyndrome posted:

I imagine it's been mentioned in this thread at some point before, but the ZX Spectrum Alien game looked pretty interesting for the time

It basically tried to mirror the movie, but a random crew member would give birth to the Alien and another would be the Android, then you have to move the crew around to different rooms to gather items (including Jones) to defend yourself and to escape

Thank you for posting about this! That game looks really fun so I'm gonna snag the emulator and give it a try. It's a shame about the graphics but reading about it makes it sound really fun and entertaining (especially the replayability) so I'm looking forward to playing it :D

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

MUFFlNS posted:

Does anybody think that a game like this could work in a smaller environment at all? Just sheer curiosity here based off the idea of a game that was like this but presented in a small, claustrophobic environment such as a ship that had say, 15-20 rooms that were all connected. I was just wondering since I recall the original Alien seemed to take place on a really small ship (I think it was separate from what they were hauling?) and it got me thinking if something like that could work or not?

If they don't have a level where you crawl through air ducts in the darkness, I will be very disappointed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spaceking posted:

If they don't have a level where you crawl through air ducts in the darkness, I will be very disappointed.

That would be loving amazing if they did it right. It seems like it would be more likely to be super scripted but a sequence where you just have to crawl with the pinging noise of a motion detector letting you know it is getting closer without letting you know where it is coming from, sort of like a bizarro version of hot and cold? That could be terrifying as hell.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

ImpAtom posted:

That would be loving amazing if they did it right. It seems like it would be more likely to be super scripted but a sequence where you just have to crawl with the pinging noise of a motion detector letting you know it is getting closer without letting you know where it is coming from, sort of like a bizarro version of hot and cold? That could be terrifying as hell.

It worked well enough in the original movie, and that guy had a flamethrower handy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

ImpAtom posted:

The dream, of course, would be to offer vent crawling as shortcuts. Do you take the long way to your goal, taking up valuable time that gives the alien more time to find and stalk you? Or do you risk the lowered mobility to take a quick jaunt through the vents to reach your destination faster, hoping that it's too distracted elsewhere to come for you.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Calling it now. :colbert:

The vents will be used for fast travel and there will be an animated loading screen of you crawling through them. Nothing ever happens, though.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I just hope this game supports Oculus Rift

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

As long as they had a system of multiple levels of vents, like the movie, you wouldn't even need to gimp the motion tracker really. Is it two levels above you? One? Below you? Coming right at your face?? The terror the rest of the crew felt for the captain as they saw it coming closer but couldn't tell from where. Even just copying the film outright and giving the player a flamethrower (that would only ever scare the xeno off if it was on your level) would work as it appears you'd have to switch between it and the motion tracker when you heard the beeping.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

The vents will be used for fast travel and there will be an animated loading screen of you crawling through them. Nothing ever happens, though.

They need to do this and really get you used to vents = safe (AvP Jaguar did this when you play as the Alien, the vents are your safe haven), but like Metroid Fusion and Dead Space have one single scripted point maybe 2/3 in where it doesn't work out that way.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Since when are vents safe. HATH WE FORGOTTEN Vasquez?? and Gorman I suppose

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

1. Suspension of disbelief so that you can enjoy the game

2. The Alien in the first film was an inherently unknowable, floating thing that exhibited a range of strange behaviours, one of which was having a streak of curiosity (Jones, Lambert), a slow, creeping gait, and more importantly, moments of docility (recall, for instance, the scene where Ripley is hiding meters away from it in a cupboard, or literally just around a corner). The super-fast, super-aware, kill-on-sight bug type aliens in the sequel are almost completely different things. Please don't for one second make the mistake that this film series has a coherent and logical Alien psychology or physiology, because they don't. For the purposes of the game, which takes its clues from Alien, and not Aliens, we're dealing with a different beast.

I was going to relate the thorough explanation for this inconsistency when I realized exactly how many cheap Aliens novels I'd read.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

dud root posted:

Since when are vents safe. HATH WE FORGOTTEN Vasquez?? and Gorman I suppose

We haven't, but the game in question isn't based on Aliens, so they don't factor into it. Dallas, on the other hand, if they could get something in that echos that sequence, it would be pretty tense.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I got paged to this thread, and while I'm very hopeful for Isolation to get it "right", I'm not going to write up a huge mega-post because my PC is having issues and I'm currently posting from the Awful app for iOS. :suicide:
I'll have more things to say once my PC is fixed.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
I keep thinking if multiplayer were to be added wouldn't it be more like Parasite/The Hidden. Couple of players on a ship having to repair it and fulfill basic instincts such as eat/poo poo/poo etc all the while being hunted by one player who is a alien?.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDrone posted:

I keep thinking if multiplayer were to be added wouldn't it be more like Parasite/The Hidden. Couple of players on a ship having to repair it and fulfill basic instincts such as eat/poo poo/poo etc all the while being hunted by one player who is a alien?.

I'm uncomfortable with there being two different kinds of lovely mechanics in any game.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars

ImpAtom posted:

I'm uncomfortable with there being two different kinds of lovely mechanics in any game.

Not the best examples I should of used but you get the idea what I'm trying to say.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I would be surprised if this was the case. Since they're basing a lot of the game off ideas from Alien, a super claustrophobic vent section would be quite likely since it's one of the most terrifying scenes in the film. While you may have the opportunity to go into vents as a way of transitioning through a level chunk more often than not, a dedicated vent-crawling section of the game seems like a no-brainer, especially if it includes opening weird metal sphincters with absolutely no clue as to what's lurking in the inky darkness beyond.

I mean, those doors still give me the creeps big time...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=937_1325022216

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

SirDrone posted:

Look into Space Station 13. If they still do alien and Thing and the other hunter-type rounds, that is. RIP poo unless they brought it back.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im more interested in what will happen when it actually finds you. There are a lot of games ruined where you are supposed to be terrified of something, but you aren't because the AI is easy to exploit or too predictable.

I also have been reminiscing about the Colonial marines multiplayer. It could have been great but the leveling system and balance issues pretty much killed it from the start.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry

ClownSyndrome posted:

The Spectrum game was awesome at the time. It did mean the first time I saw the movie I was horribly biased against Jonesey, though.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...

blackguy32 posted:

Im more interested in what will happen when it actually finds you. There are a lot of games ruined where you are supposed to be terrified of something, but you aren't because the AI is easy to exploit or too predictable.

From the footage and testimony so far, we're likely seeing design similar to Amnesia or any of your corridor horror games. Not terribly complex AI, but serves its purpose as a threat with multiple methods of detection. So long as they don't gently caress it up to the Hello My Baby extent that CM did, it should be fine. Solitary focus on a single enemy is very conducive to horror games, like in Miasmata or Slender.

Thinking on the Dead Space comparisons and that one bit in the demo where people went for the airlock, only to have it shut and the room to star freaking out, would a zero gravity level work well in this environment? It'd be a good chance to showcase the alien's superior movement on surfaces and give a unique hiding dynamic with floating objects. Not to mention all the noise you could make if you move in a direction, can't slow down and then slam into something; newtonian physics and all dat.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Seems like they DO have zero-G sections judging from the preview.

Didn't see the alien in it though, but having it float slowly towards you while you try to maneuver around in the soup would be like slow-motion horror and could work very well.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

oiseaux morts 1994 posted:

I would be surprised if this was the case. Since they're basing a lot of the game off ideas from Alien, a super claustrophobic vent section would be quite likely since it's one of the most terrifying scenes in the film. While you may have the opportunity to go into vents as a way of transitioning through a level chunk more often than not, a dedicated vent-crawling section of the game seems like a no-brainer, especially if it includes opening weird metal sphincters with absolutely no clue as to what's lurking in the inky darkness beyond.

I mean, those doors still give me the creeps big time...

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=937_1325022216

When I mentioned Enemy Zero in my previous post, the vent section was as far as I got - my loving nerves were shredded crawling around in those loving things, hesitantly making my way through only to freeze suddenly when the motion tracker starts beeping like a bastard. It finally got to the point where I was lost and dizzy, trying to find a path through that didn't involve getting my face eaten till finally, I wimped out and quit.

In the best possible way, gently caress vents, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyman
Nov 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

No multiplayer is surprising and encouraging to hear.

Spaceking posted:

No multiplayer, hooray.

That's not something to celebrate. This anti-multiplayer crusade is very detached from reality.

It's been demonstrated time & time again that most of these supposedly "tacked-on" multiplayer modes aren't "tacked-on" at all and almost always end up being uniquely entertaining and different from most anything else in the multiplayer space.

Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed all have very well done multiplayer that I feel deliver much more enjoyment than any extra time spent on the campaign could. Even Bioshock 2 was quite fun in a unique way.

ME3 is genuinely as good as a standalone multi game, yet if grognards had their way it never would have existed and that'd be a bit of a tragedy.

Multiplayer games are just as valid as campaign games. They don't need to have an "end" to count as a proper piece of interactive media. I would put an old classic like Battlefield 1942 alongside a singleplayer classic like Deus Ex in a "best games" list any day.

psyman fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 12, 2014

• Locked thread