Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

ATV updated to 6.0.1. Not sure what the implications are yet. Just FYI.

Plexconnect seems to work okay. I think it just added the iMovie Theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Tacorleone posted:

Personally I'd wait for the event. Either they announce a new AppleTV, and you get that, or they don't and all you did was wait an extra 2 weeks.
Ignoring that the event is passed, if he was buying from an Apple Store, it wouldn't be a big deal to swap it for a newer version had it been announced and released.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

So I moved things around in my apartment, resulting in my desktop being in a different room from my receivers & high end speakers. Could run a long-rear end optical cable, but I never did find a good remote control app.

I figure now that I stream music a lot, I can just use my iPhone or iPad to AirPlay to an ATV hooked up via optical. I take it there aren't any events left this year to announce a successor?

Also, could foobar stream to it? I assume it's pretty pointless to try and get FLAC streaming working since its compressed on its way to the ATV, but maybe I'd be in the mood to stream my normal collection.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

movax posted:

Also, could foobar stream to it? I assume it's pretty pointless to try and get FLAC streaming working since its compressed on its way to the ATV, but maybe I'd be in the mood to stream my normal collection.

I use a program called AirFoil to stream any non iTunes audio to my aTV and it works great, been using it for over a year now and I have no complaints. I have yet to have an audio source that I wanted to stream but couldn't.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Hoping someone can help me out here. I have a jailbroken ATV2 and recently did a fresh install of XBMC using the xbmchub Hub. Everything is working perfectly with one exception, my learned remote control (standard Directv universal remote) playback functions are not carrying over. They work on all other apple tv things like Netflix, etc. but within XBMC I have to hit my select button and then navigate through the on-screen menu to pause, fast forward, etc.

Has anyone experienced this, or does anyone have a possible fix? I've looked all over the place and have seen the question pop up a few places, but I've not seen an actual solution.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I don't know where to ask this, so I'm going to ask both in this thread, and the General iPad thread :shobon:

I've never had an AppleTV before, but am thinking about getting one. My question is two-fold - I've heard that not every app can be streamed via AirPlay. Does anyone know if NFL Sunday Ticket can? And if so can it be AirPlay'd (???) from both an iPhone 5 or the latest generation iPad? What are the things that cannot be streamed? Netflix works fine, I assume? Thanks :)

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

eightysixed posted:

I don't know where to ask this, so I'm going to ask both in this thread, and the General iPad thread :shobon:

I've never had an AppleTV before, but am thinking about getting one. My question is two-fold - I've heard that not every app can be streamed via AirPlay. Does anyone know if NFL Sunday Ticket can? And if so can it be AirPlay'd (???) from both an iPhone 5 or the latest generation iPad? What are the things that cannot be streamed? Netflix works fine, I assume? Thanks :)

So, Airplay from an iPad means two different things. There is "Airplay streaming" which transmits audio and video you are playing to the AppleTV as a stream.

Then there's "Airplay mirroring", in which your entire iPad's display is transmitted to the TV (but you get black bars on the side because iPad is 4:3 and TVs are 16:9)

Also, App Developers can block Airplay mirroring by using the ability to send a "second screen" to the AppleTV, which overrides the mirroring. Content providers (Like DirectTV) have been notorious for not allowing either Airplay streaming (because they didn't implement the functionality in their video player) or Airplay mirroring (because they actively send like an empty second screen to the AppleTV). I know HBO Go used to just send a giant HBO Go Logo as the second screen.

I'm not sure about NFL Sunday Ticket, but I would bet if it's owned by an old media company (which it is.. .DirectTV) then they probably don't allow it.

Netflix is a moot point, since the Apple TV supports Netflix natively without Airplay.

Edit: Found this review on the app store.

appstore posted:

Needs AirPlay

by Ffgjkfkrfkrofpgjyd
DirecTV, you stopped supporting the PS3 application which was a major disappointment. Then when I updated the Sunday Ticket app on my iPad and saw the AirPlay icon I got happy because I typically like to hook up two TVs on Sunday to watch two games, but it's only for audio. What gives? Please update to include full AirPlay. I want to take full advantage of my Sunday Ticket.

echobucket fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 5, 2013

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Thanks for the quick, informative post! Unfortunately, now I'm sad :smith:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is it new that Netflix now shows completion bars on TV show episodes, so you can see which ones you watched already?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I feel like it's been doing that for awhile now.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Endless Mike posted:

I feel like it's been doing that for awhile now.

On Apple TV? I don't think so. On everything else yes though.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
Wow. I noticed WatchABC pop up today. Live abc and a bunch of their content on demand!

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

dutchbstrd posted:

Wow. I noticed WatchABC pop up today. Live abc and a bunch of their content on demand!

Yeah, except you have to have CABLE in order to watch live ABC programming despite the fact that ABC is a free over the air network. :suicide:

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

echobucket posted:

Yeah, except you have to have CABLE in order to watch live ABC programming despite the fact that ABC is a free over the air network. :suicide:

That's what my sisters comcast account is for.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And Directv doesn't count.

I was surprised they let that one California station get its own channel too.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

That's what my sisters comcast account is for.

Haha. I use my sister's comcast account too. That should be on the outside of the Apple TV box.

"Make sure to have a friend's or relative's cable/satellite login so you can actually use all this stuff."

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Quick questions:

-If I buy an Apple TV3, does this Plex Connect work with it? OP didn't really have up to date information.

-Can I still use unblock-us through Plex Connect, as it seems to require changing the DNS of the ATV

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

Quick questions:

-If I buy an Apple TV3, does this Plex Connect work with it? OP didn't really have up to date information.

-Can I still use unblock-us through Plex Connect, as it seems to require changing the DNS of the ATV

Not sure about 1 but assuming it does work then yes. You can either set the DNS for just the appleTV as a setting in the plex config file or if you really wanted set the DNS for your whole network on the router.

Race Warp
Mar 10, 2005

I swoon over Alex Smith's dreamy eyebrows
Now that all the current iDevices are jailbreakable with evasi0n, what are the odds we see these exploits for the A5 chip make it's way over to the ATV3? Any relevant twitter feeds to check out?

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012
Anyone have Apple TV on time warner cable and have used the TWC app? I only use my cable box for the free On Demand, and wanted to know if the atv was a viable / useful alternative.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Something is happening...

https://twitter.com/ih8sn0w/status/417925237532282880
https://twitter.com/ih8sn0w/status/417925306104954880

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I don't get it

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cawd Rud saw someone talking about an untethered jailbreak for AppleTV 2 and thought it meant that there was a jailbreak for AppleTV 3.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is there a way to limit the resolution in Netflix on Apple TV? I asked their reps and apparently setting the preference on Netflix.com doesn't change things for other devices.

I'm passingly concerned about bandwidth limits, and streaming sitcoms in HD that I'm only half paying attention to seems like a waste.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Your choices seem to be either enable QOS on the router, or buy Netflix's new cheaper plan that disables HD streaming at their end.

Jik Waffleson
Jul 30, 2012

Jik Waffleson posted:

Anyone have Apple TV on time warner cable and have used the TWC app? I only use my cable box for the free On Demand, and wanted to know if the atv was a viable / useful alternative.

Followup, I'm an idiot. The TWC app is still a rumor.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
Haven't seen it mentioned yet in this thread: Beamer works great for streaming pretty much all the common video formats to the Apple TV from a mac, even subtitles work.

Only problem I've found is that scrubbing does not work, have to fast forward instead. Some also say it struggles with large files (+5gb). I'm very happy with it so far however.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Beamer is very, very good and I wish something like it existed for Windows.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Thirding Beamer. It's very Apple-ish in its simplicity.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I have not yet had Plex/Plexconnect fail me on ANYthing, even huge 1080p things. I will check out BEAMER, though!

[Edit] oh you kick off the show from the Mac? Pass.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 5, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Is disabling the 24-hour clock possible? I bought it on an army base, but dammit if I'm not used to 19:00 being 7

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

noirstronaut posted:

Is disabling the 24-hour clock possible? I bought it on an army base, but dammit if I'm not used to 19:00 being 7

This is a guess, but try changing Settings > General >Region Format.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Ah, it was a me being dumb thing. It was still on 5.3.

e: Nope, that wasn't it. :(

noirstronaut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jan 7, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is WWE Network supposed to get a native app on Apple TV? ATV is definitely being touted as a supported device, but I'm not sure if it's just through airplay. Apparently WWE outsourced a lot of work to the MLB.tv crew, so I suppose that bodes well.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Minidust posted:

Is WWE Network supposed to get a native app on Apple TV? ATV is definitely being touted as a supported device, but I'm not sure if it's just through airplay. Apparently WWE outsourced a lot of work to the MLB.tv crew, so I suppose that bodes well.

I guess they did this at an event, so I'm thinking maybe it will get an actual app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

With the MLB involvement and the number of channels they've been adding lately I wouldn't be surprised, but knowing Apple they probably won't be able to come out and say it until it actually happens.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Minidust posted:

Is Watch ABC ever going to, y'know, work?

I've Google searched, I've called Apple, I've called the Watch ABC support, and the response has been, "Yeah, we've gotten a lot of these complaints." That's great, but I don't know that they are even looking at it. If they cant get the Apple TV app to work, they could at least allow airplay on the iPhone/iPad app.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
It was annoying when WatchABC recently shifted to requiring a television subscription login to watch stuff on the aTV app. I get ABC live for free OTA, so why the heck should I need to login if I want to episodes of shows that I can watch online via an iPad for free *without* logging in (watching live on the ipad requires login). It's they've taken one-step forward by releasing an aTV app) then two-steps backwards (requiring login to watch free(w/commericals) stuff).

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Voodoo posted:

It was annoying when WatchABC recently shifted to requiring a television subscription login to watch stuff on the aTV app. I get ABC live for free OTA, so why the heck should I need to login if I want to episodes of shows that I can watch online via an iPad for free *without* logging in (watching live on the ipad requires login). It's they've taken one-step forward by releasing an aTV app) then two-steps backwards (requiring login to watch free(w/commericals) stuff).

I can't even put my cable info in, the app will not load. It attempts for what feels like 3 minutes, then it dumps back to the home screen. The Disney apps all exhibit the same behavior, but I don't really care about those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Kaizoku posted:

I can't even put my cable info in, the app will not load. It attempts for what feels like 3 minutes, then it dumps back to the home screen. The Disney apps all exhibit the same behavior, but I don't really care about those.

You should try restoring to factory and resetting it up, and if that doesn't work, reload the software: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4367

• Locked thread