Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Kilroy posted:

No you're right. I'm not clear on the details either, but I know that e.g. bodies will be cleaned up before a cell resets in the general case. Like, if you go clear out even the outside part of a bandit camp, then go back in 2-3 days, those bodies will be gone even though there is no way the cell could have respawned by then.

I'm not sure where the timer is defined, and how it works, but corpses definitely follow different rules from everything else.
Yeah body cleanup is handled by a papyrus script not an engine function like cell resets. The USKP adds the script to a bunch of npcs so if you are looking for it browse the ones it modifies and you should find it pretty quickly. IIRC its a straight in game time passed that starts when the npc dies and then marks them for delete when able (so they don't vanish while you look at them). If you wanted to stockpile bodies in your home you could always modify the script to check the current cell and not delete them if its your home.

Quift posted:

I just had a simple yet great idea for a mod ans was wondering if it was possible to do.

read me.

Basically take the readme.txt from all the mods you have installed and create in game books which are then stored in a specific location (the library in windhold would be great).

So a simple ingame way to read the readme about a mod.
It would also be cool if it added all the ingame books that mods create to the library.
And quite possibly add a spell which allows the summoning, and placement of a bookshelf with the all the tutorials, readme etc.

Would this be possible to do?
Papyrus doesn't allow the creation of new objects so I don't think you would be able to do it entirely in game. Skyproc could do the setup just fine though. The biggest hurdle is many mods name their readme readme.txt and put it right in the data folder so it gets overwritten by the next mod that does that. Once you got all of them renamed skyproc could take the contents and put them into book objects and add the books to the bookshelf. Other mods already have summonable furniture so I expect that would be trivial to steal.

In my modding adventures I've been working on fixing up ASIS. One of the guys who worked out the basics has decided to add MCM support so you can tweak spawn settings in game and I hooked that up. And discovered that in my barebones testing setup the old asis was making ~4k global variables so you could individually set the max number of each npc that could spawn and the odds that npc would have increased spawns. So if you felt DLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M needed more spawns you can just set the global ASISMaxNumSpawnsDLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Praetorian Mage posted:

This is an interesting idea, but I'd wonder how well it would work with mods that have a fairly big readme, due to the very slow page-turning animation. I get annoyed enough having to check the components
for Midas spells. Would it be possible to make a mod that removes the page-turning animations?

Seconding this.

Maybe turn them all into notes instead?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So Hunterborn, RND, Deadly Combat, Frostfall...what other mods would you guys suggest to make Skyrim a more survival-esque kind of game? Crafting my own survival gear, living off the land, not being able to buy everything, etc, is the sort of stuff I love. The current mix of modifications is good but something seems off all the same.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Entropic posted:

I wonder if anyone's made a child soldier mod.

This would make more sense in Fallout: New Vegas since someone made a Big Boss mod for it.

poptart_fairy posted:

So Hunterborn, RND, Deadly Combat, Frostfall...what other mods would you guys suggest to make Skyrim a more survival-esque kind of game? Crafting my own survival gear, living off the land, not being able to buy everything, etc, is the sort of stuff I love. The current mix of modifications is good but something seems off all the same.

I've heard good things about Trade Routes for making the economy more realistic so you can't just buy everything you need super cheaply.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

LtSmash posted:

Yeah body cleanup is handled by a papyrus script not an engine function like cell resets. The USKP adds the script to a bunch of npcs so if you are looking for it browse the ones it modifies and you should find it pretty quickly. IIRC its a straight in game time passed that starts when the npc dies and then marks them for delete when able (so they don't vanish while you look at them). If you wanted to stockpile bodies in your home you could always modify the script to check the current cell and not delete them if its your home.

Papyrus doesn't allow the creation of new objects so I don't think you would be able to do it entirely in game. Skyproc could do the setup just fine though. The biggest hurdle is many mods name their readme readme.txt and put it right in the data folder so it gets overwritten by the next mod that does that. Once you got all of them renamed skyproc could take the contents and put them into book objects and add the books to the bookshelf. Other mods already have summonable furniture so I expect that would be trivial to steal.

In my modding adventures I've been working on fixing up ASIS. One of the guys who worked out the basics has decided to add MCM support so you can tweak spawn settings in game and I hooked that up. And discovered that in my barebones testing setup the old asis was making ~4k global variables so you could individually set the max number of each npc that could spawn and the odds that npc would have increased spawns. So if you felt DLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M needed more spawns you can just set the global ASISMaxNumSpawnsDLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M.

If you are fixing up ASIS I have one request. Asis adds spells to mages but its indiscriminate about it, I'd like it if you could scan an npc and see what types of damage spells npc's already have and stick with the themes for those. So only add fire spells to npcs with only fire spells, add shock and ice spells to mages with shock and ice spells.

[edit]

Second suggestion. NPC's with potions are great, having 400 health potions as a player is a bit insane, could you make potions added through skyproc non lootable ?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Cabal has released Imperial Forts

I've been running strictly with the big 3 TPC mods + Project Paralax and then a bunch of miscellaneous replacers, but I think I'm going to go ahead and give Cabal's textures a try tonight.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So I installed Mod Organizer and SKSE, and when I launch Skyrim using MO to launch with SKSE it launches in windowed mode. Alt+Enter doesn't maximize or fullscreen Skyrim. If I launch with the vanilla launcher it works fine. Anyone else experienced this?

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 9, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So I installed Mod Organizer and SKSE, and when I launch Skyrim using MO to launch with SKSE it launches in windowed mode. Alt+Enter doesn't maximize or fullscreen Skyrim. If I launch with the vanilla launcher it works fine. Anyone else experienced this?

Did you start the Skyrim launcher through Mod Organizer and choose your game settings there?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

So I installed Mod Organizer, SKSE, and when I launch Skyrim it launches in windowed mode. Alt+Enter doesn't maximize or fullscreen Skyrim. If I launch with the vanilla launcher it works fine. Anyone else experienced this?

MO uses separate inis. Copy the inis from your Documents/my games/skyrim folder to the profile folder in MO. Or add the vanilla launcher to MO and reset all your video settings.

Quift
May 11, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

immersive creatures, obis, populated forts, and the one that gives creatures etter behavior which I was certain I had installled, but now I cant find it.

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

LtSmash posted:

ASISMaxNumSpawnsDLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M.

Good lord.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

If you don't have Wet and Cold yet, you should get that, along with the Cloak/Cape mods listed in this thread's OP (also, if you're playing with Frostfall, you should turn on the W.E.A.R. option if you haven't already). Realistic Animals and Predators does a lot to make animal behavior more varied and realistic, which is nice if you're doing a lot of hunting. Fishing in Skyrim adds yet another way to gather food and ingredients from the environment.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Tzarnal posted:

If you are fixing up ASIS I have one request. Asis adds spells to mages but its indiscriminate about it, I'd like it if you could scan an npc and see what types of damage spells npc's already have and stick with the themes for those. So only add fire spells to npcs with only fire spells, add shock and ice spells to mages with shock and ice spells.

[edit]

Second suggestion. NPC's with potions are great, having 400 health potions as a player is a bit insane, could you make potions added through skyproc non lootable ?

Spells are pretty general so there isn't like a magic type field. Each spell can have multiple effects, effects also aren't of a specific type like fire or ice really. You set the art, resistance type, and keywords separately so mod added stuff depends on the author doing it right. I can build a list of all keywords on all effects of all spells a mage has and then only add more spells that match. Probably not foolproof but at least better.

Is there an easy way to make potions non-lootable? Other objects have the non-playable flag but that doesn't seem to be available to potions.

It gets better: npcs like that are used to spawn leveled npcs with varied appearances so everything but the appearance is templated. Including the scripts. So even though ASISMaxNumSpawnsDLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M exists and is attached to DLC2EncBandit06Melee1HDarkElf03M when loaded in game that npc inherits the templated script instead with a different global.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:
I've been going over a number of the environmental mods, and I can't seem to find one that has realistic (looking) avalanches, which you'd think someone would have added considering how much ice, snow and mountains there are in Skyrim. Are there any mods for that? If not, would the best way to create something like that be a combination of fog and cloud effects?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

What does falskaar do that fucks your save file? I have a ton of mods and would love to try it for the extra space to run around in but if its going to gently caress me then ...?

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Hey you know that racial mod that gives slashy claws to khajits? Is there a way to give that to another character via the console or something?

e. oh it's apparently part of the vanilla game, not a mod... my mistake :blush:

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jan 10, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Speaking of the slashy claws, do they remain useful past the early stages? They seem like the coolest racial advantage but many of the other racial advantages don't seem to be beneficial much.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Is there a list somewhere of all Falskaar compatibility patches?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Corridor posted:

Hey you know that racial mod that gives slashy claws to khajits? Is there a way to give that to another character via the console or something?

e. oh it's apparently part of the vanilla game, not a mod... my mistake :blush:

Resplendent Racials enhances their slashiness. And if you're not playing with Khajiit Speak you're a bad person.

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Helicity posted:

And if you're not playing with Khajiit Speak you're a bad person.

I'm a bad person but that mod has made me reconsider my folly. :3:

melon farmer
Oct 28, 2009

My boy says he can eat fifty eggs, he can eat fifty eggs!

Sylink posted:

What does falskaar do that fucks your save file? I have a ton of mods and would love to try it for the extra space to run around in but if its going to gently caress me then ...?

I've always wondered this too. By the time it came out I had made so many characters between xbox and PC that I didn't want to start an alt to play it, so it's gone untouched.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
It's basically an expansion. It doesn't gently caress with the mainland much at all so you can safely ignore it if you choose.

I haven't heard it loving up saves (which isn't to say that it doesn't when you try to remove it), but I would assume it would be fine to remove, just make sure your taking the necessary precautions and having SKSE remove any leftover scripts.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Is there a mod to make the camera independent from character movement in third person? Like, to make it more like an action/adventure game where you have 360 degree control with the left thumbstick rather than the forward/back/strafe setup it is now, and have the right thumbstick rotate the camera independently from character position?

I think my enjoyment of Skyrim would skyrocket if I could just play it as a hack-and-slash ARPG akin to Fable or Darksiders versus the Dark Souls-lite it tries to be.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
As much as I would like that, I doubt it'll ever happen justbecause that would probably require changes to the core engine.

I'm not sure why you think this is Dark souls lite combat, it's quite clearly an FPS with swords. Melee weapons are just short range hitscan guns mechanically.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

I'm not sure why you think this is Dark souls lite combat, it's quite clearly an FPS with swords. Melee weapons are just short range hitscan guns mechanically.

Yeah, I guess that's more accurate. Either way I wish it was moddable.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

edit: apparently messed up an alt tab

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
You can press F and pan around your character while in third person, even while moving. I don't think this works if you have a weapon unsheathed, but it may. (You would need to keep the F key depressed).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the mod suggestions, guys. Skyrim's a bit closer to my crazy hermit survivalist simulator now. Khajit speak makes my Breton delightfully mental, too.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Crazy hermit survivalists rule. Although, am I the only one who still vastly prefers IMCN to RND?

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 10, 2014

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Ynglaur posted:

You can press F and pan around your character while in third person, even while moving. I don't think this works if you have a weapon unsheathed, but it may. (You would need to keep the F key depressed).

What.

How did I not know this.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Frostfall started getting annoying the moment I entered a cold dungeon. I really don't feel like waiting around a fire for 10 minutes after clearing out each room. Am I doing something wrong? I've started using only spells to stay warm barely alive but it's sort of annoying to have to cast a spell every 30 seconds or freeze to death.

Also, how are campfires and tents supposed to work together? I stand near the campfire and get "the fire is too exposed to warm you up" or something to that effect, or I stand in the tent and get "you're too far from the heat source". The fire doesn't fit anywhere near the tent, and I'm pretty sure IRL you wouldn't want a fire very close to your tent.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Frostfall started getting annoying the moment I entered a cold dungeon. I really don't feel like waiting around a fire for 10 minutes after clearing out each room. Am I doing something wrong? I've started using only spells to stay warm barely alive but it's sort of annoying to have to cast a spell every 30 seconds or freeze to death.

Also, how are campfires and tents supposed to work together? I stand near the campfire and get "the fire is too exposed to warm you up" or something to that effect, or I stand in the tent and get "you're too far from the heat source". The fire doesn't fit anywhere near the tent, and I'm pretty sure IRL you wouldn't want a fire very close to your tent.

In Frostfall default, exposure doesn't increase during combat. Even if it does, it shouldn't be increasing that fast. Even in completely freezing-cold blizzard conditions it should still take several minutes at least to go from warm to freezing. For that matter, dungeons and other indoors or underground areas always have an exposure rating of zero in default - you won't warm up any if you don't find an active heat source, but you won't be getting any colder either. Have you tweaked your settings in any way? Have you maybe set Frostfall to the 'Hardcore' setting, which is specifically designed to make the game hilariously hard and should never be used by anyone?

Also, what are your clothes like? If you've got W.E.A.R. switched on, thin fabric or too much exposed skin is bad, meaning the default Hide and Studded armors should pretty much never be worn in cold environments. If you've got inadequate clothing, you'll pretty much be freezing no matter where you go. Don't forget to wear a cape or a cloak of some kind, they can make a lot of difference. Gear enchanted with 'Resist Frost' is also handy.

For camping, set up your firepit first, then pitch your tent. The tent silhouette will change color when it's close enough to the fire to be warmed.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jan 10, 2014

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Frostfall is kind of funny because it had me reconsider all my armor options, so now I'm a backpacking Thief guildmaster walking around in a giant cloak. Then you have dainty high elves walking around in comparatively skimpy summer clothes.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I can't check right now, but does anyone know if SPERG's automatic perks are taken away if you lose a stat boosting effect that increased a skill past the auto perk level?

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Is there a mod that makes hunting for book skills less tedious? I can't be the only one who has no interest in reading all those books, yet I always hunt for them and click on everyone just in case there's a skill point attached to it, a mod that displays something like "+1 1h skill" on hover would be excellent if something like that exists.

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Gyshall posted:

I can't check right now, but does anyone know if SPERG's automatic perks are taken away if you lose a stat boosting effect that increased a skill past the auto perk level?

As long as this effect is not somehow a permanent increase to the skill which was then taken away, you never got the perk in the first place. A temporary effect (such as enchanted gear) bringing you above the threshold will not give you the auto-perk.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Mister Bates posted:

For camping, set up your firepit first, then pitch your tent. The tent silhouette will change color when it's close enough to the fire to be warmed.

D'oh. I thought the red meant "it doesn't fit here".

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It does. When it turns yellow is when it'll warm you up.

Do it backwards. Drop the tent first then drop your firepit. It's easier that way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sharay posted:

As long as this effect is not somehow a permanent increase to the skill which was then taken away, you never got the perk in the first place. A temporary effect (such as enchanted gear) bringing you above the threshold will not give you the auto-perk.

Right on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Yeah, tent placement can be finicky. I've had trees growing through my tent in some places, and other times a small rock is too much of an obstacle. It's far easier to squeeze the campfire in after you have your tent in a decent spot.

• Locked thread