Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey @Midnight is great and all but if they made a show that was all Iron Shiek The Real Or Jabroni, I'd buy every DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Why does the Ike Bairnholtz getting mystery free points?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TMMadman posted:

The show's edited, they keep playing things during commercials and all.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TMMadman posted:

It's not done live, so there's retakes and such.

comedy answer, he's blowing Chris during the ads.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Seeing Tom just makes me wish there was more Reno 911.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

gently caress you for making me imagine Chris Hardwick making an O-face and shouting "POINTS!" as he cums.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

BrooklynBruiser posted:

gently caress you for making me imagine Chris Hardwick making an O-face and shouting "POINTS!" as he cums.

What do you mean gently caress you, that image sounds amazing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BrooklynBruiser posted:

*drops mic* TM Out!

Hah, the guy who doesn't eat cheese really looks unhappy about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jesus christ Tom is the best.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I hope Thomas Lennon never wins but is on like once a week. That would be a great recurring gag.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
I love that Tom was upset that his joke didn't work at all.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I found out yesterday Jenny Slate also did the voice/writing for Marcel the Shell and I was flabbergasted.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I loving love this show.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

Gotcha. It seems weird and confusing, but I'm old.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

TMMadman posted:

I actually thought the show was live until recently.

Dammit! Someone else tweeted Montrey Jack Reacher before I did! Oh well, Feta off Dead is better.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

TMMadman posted:

It's normally not as obvious; when Hodgeman was on it was really jarring because he kept getting massive jumps of points without us seeing him win any of them.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Awww. I was hoping he would say "AVENGE ME" again.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Don't worry, Tom- lots of things sound better in our heads.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This show is more fun for comedians dicking around rather than playing the game.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

EccoRaven posted:

It's normally not as obvious; when Hodgeman was on it was really jarring because he kept getting massive jumps of points without us seeing him win any of them.

I missed that. Is there any way to see unedited footage? Comedy Central shows the episodes, but they are even more condensed than what airs. I would love to see some of the stuff that doesn't make it to air, especially because some of it is likey to be "too bad for TV"/hilarious.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

swickles posted:

I missed that. Is there any way to see unedited footage? Comedy Central shows the episodes, but they are even more condensed than what airs. I would love to see some of the stuff that doesn't make it to air, especially because some of it is likey to be "too bad for TV"/hilarious.

I get the impression much/most of it is improvised, so the stuff they don't show is likely just stuff that bombed, and not even in a very funny way, just in a normal, human way.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
:doink:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

This show is more fun for comedians dicking around rather than playing the game.
Yeah, this episode is proof positive of that.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BigRed0427 posted:

Yeah its like a lot of panel shows like QI or What's My Line

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EccoRaven posted:

I get the impression much/most of it is improvised, so the stuff they don't show is likely just stuff that bombed, and not even in a very funny way, just in a normal, human way.

Yea I'm sure they get the bits ahead of time and all but the answers seem all improv, I have a feeling the cut stuff is just poo poo that isn't funny and there's no hilarious meltdown like Tom had.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I know that they edit the show down to the good parts but THEY CLEARLY DEPRIVED US OF MORE "IRON SHIEK: REAL OR JABRONI" QUESTIONS AND THEY MUST PAY!!! :ese:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I thought Tom Lennon's line about the tongue scraper was by far the funniest/matched the concept of the joke best.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
I can shed a little light on all the score jumping, since my wife and I went to the taping of tonight's episode last night. (They record Monday-Wednesday in the afternoon of each day, but do an evening taping Wednesday for the Thursday show.)

The taping took a little over an hour, including breaks for makeup & pick-up shots (like faking what they are writing on the tablets when they go to break during the Live Challenges). There is a ton of banter, and I'm curious to see how the intro of the guests gets edited, since it went super long. Also, after each game, Chris gives each contestant a chance to answer another time or two. There will also probably be a heavy edit to his long, swear filled introduction of Tag Team Thursdays (what used to be the Twuck Buddy Thursday, since Chris was apparently the only person who liked that name).

And lastly, scoring didn't even make sense sitting there watching the whole thing. Chris would award POINTS!, but the scores didn't change, & there was even an audience member that got upset at the end of the show as we were being let out that it "wasn't being done correctly", which was super funny to watch.

Hope that helps uncover some of the mystery. If you've got specific questions, I'll try to answer them. It's definitely a good episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just want to say that I love this show and that I love that Comedy Central is nice enough to put it online and with no region locks, unlike the rest of channels in the US.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah its like a lot of panel shows like QI or What's My Line
When I tried to sell a guy on this show the other day, I described it as "Who's Line meets Tosh.0". It caught his interest.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey bigE, did you guys have priority tickets (guaranteed) or just the standard tickets? A friend and I grabbed the standard tickets for the March 20 tickets and we're curious how early we should get there. The show is with Natasha Leggero, Al Madrigal, and Rob Heubel!

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Hey bigE, did you guys have priority tickets (guaranteed) or just the standard tickets? A friend and I grabbed the standard tickets for the March 20 tickets and we're curious how early we should get there. The show is with Natasha Leggero, Al Madrigal, and Rob Heubel!

We got Priority tickets & got there about 45 minutes early, but the guy at the gate said we would all get in. They didn't issue enough tickets, so they had a bunch of paid seat fillers off to the side, too. That situation could change significantly by March, since that guy also said there were "way more" people with the tickets this week than for the first run of shows.

A word to the wise on that... There is a bunch of seating on the side behind the panelists, & I honestly don't know how they could see anything but their asses. The monitor is blocked by the podiums, & since the stage is raised, it's just a generally terrible spot, so it's probably best to get there earlier & not get stuck there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Thanks for clearing up why the writing on the tablets between breaks never matched what their answer would be.

Now I'm curious as to whether there's hidden messages to be found with careful pausing!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I remember Scott Aukerman's tablet had "I'M SOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!!" as they panned out before commercial.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ack, I meant January 20th - not sure where I got march from! But good to hear about the seats and stuff - definitely looking forward to it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That's interesting that they record Thursday's episode Wednesday, I guess they can be expected to be very marginally less topical? It does kind of makes sense though, Hardwick is a pretty goddamn busy guy/workaholic.

bigE
Nov 26, 2004

Oh, ye of little faith.
Well, the hashtag war is #LesserAwardShows (I think that's the wording) in honor of the Golden Globes this weekend, so they tried to keep it as current as they could. (There's your head start to think up answers, they asked us to keep it quiet on Twitter, so I won't post there.)

I'm really looking forward to seeing the finished product. I just remembered we also had to reshoot the entire ending when the winner is revealed, because Chris forgot to name the audience member who the winner was playing for.

Brody Stevens is the warmup guy, & was his usual weird funny self. He would have them play random songs over the PA & sing different lyrics. There was an amazingly hilarious and awkward part in a commercial break where he assumed a guy he was talking to was from another country based on his strong accent, only to find out he was born & raised in Los Angeles.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

EccoRaven posted:

The contestants get the questions before the show and write down a bunch of answers to them. That doesn't bother me so much but it really irks me when you see one of the contestants obviously reading off of their cheat sheet in front of them.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

KRISTEN SCHAAL IS ON TONIGHT! :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BigRed0427 posted: