Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

On nights following The Colbert Report, Nerdist Industries founder / recovering Singled Out host Chris Hardwick builds a game show around The Internet and rounds up three well-known and/or up-and-coming comedians to play it.

People who wretch at the idea of an "internet game show": This show actually gets The Internet. It's not treated as this tangible thing for people to play up/down to; it's merely a platform for Hardwick and his contestants to riff from, not unlike Tosh.0 (except far less mean-spirited).

People who wretch at the mention of Chris Hardwick's name: The show isn't really dependent on his dorky, excitable sense of humor. While he's not above the use of a tired catchphrase ("INTERNETS," the final round being named "FTW"), or building the odd question around how much some people hate him (which, given his omnipresence around pop internet, can't necessarily be helped), he largely leaves the comedy to his contestants, bouncing off them when appropriate. As a result, the quality of the show depends less on Hardwick and more on the night's lineup.

And so far, the lineups have ranged from solid to stellar. Last week's shows have included the likes of Kumail Nanjiani, Kyle Kinane, Andrew Daly (Eastbound and Down), June Diane Raphael (NTSF:SD:SUV::), Deon Cole (Conan O'Brien), James Adomain, and Thomas Lennon (who's also the co-executive producer of the series).

This week's lineup is equally promising:

quote:

MONDAY 10/28: Eugene Mirman, Kristen Schaal, Doug Benson
(Repeats tonight at 8 PM. DO NOT MISS THIS; phenomenal half-hour if you like watching comics bounce off each other.)

TUESDAY 10/29: Patton Oswalt (!!!), Matt Braunger, Nikki Glaser

WEDNESDAY 10/30: Scott Aukerman (!!!), Matt Besser, Megan Neuringer

THURSDAY 10/31: Natasha Leggero, Moshe Kasher, Steve Agee

Once again, that's midnight ET/PT on Comedy Central, Mondays through Thursdays. If you set your DVR, be sure to have it record an extra minute over!

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I love how cheap and broken the buzzers are and someone always gets screwed by them.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I love how cheap and broken the buzzers are and someone always gets screwed by them.

Random Stranger posted:

Also, they need to fix their buzzer wiring. They seem to have them wired up in sequence so that the person on the right always has priority over the person on the left. It's not a real game show, but it would be nice if they could get the whole panel involved more. I've seen this happen a few times so far but this was a really obvious problem with last night's episode.

Yeah, it sucked-- we got too little Eugene Mirman because of the buzzer issue last night. And while I enjoy Doug Benson, we had him as a guest last week. Let Eugene and Kristen shine. Well, Kristen did shine. She was hilarious, and looking fabulous to boot.

I love this show. Mike Lawrence and Kyle Kinane are my favorite guests so far.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
This show is surprisingly great so far. Agreed that the show is really well set up to actually allow the comedians on to actually be funny. Also love that it's the first tv show to really take advantage of how many great comedians have come up/come to prominence in the last few years based on the huge boom of interest in podcasts and 'alt'-comedy (gross term, but still applies). Just having Scott Aukerman, James Adomian, Andy Daly and Doug Benson on in the first few weeks is pretty huge.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

FateoMcSkippy posted:

I've only seen the first episode and thought that it was due to the fact that Natasha was far funnier than Benson and Nanjiani, and they wanted the last segment to seem balanced.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

GraPar posted:

This show is surprisingly great so far. Agreed that the show is really well set up to actually allow the comedians on to actually be funny. Also love that it's the first tv show to really take advantage of how many great comedians have come up/come to prominence in the last few years based on the huge boom of interest in podcasts and 'alt'-comedy (gross term, but still applies). Just having Scott Aukerman, James Adomian, Andy Daly and Doug Benson on in the first few weeks is pretty huge.

Eugene Mirman yelling that he's the only one without a podcast before fake-storming off the set last night was great.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
If this show is actually good, my question becomes: Is it metahumor that they advertise this show with the same infuriating SCREAMING IN THE MIDDLE OF A COMMERCIAL BREAK ads that every other Hardwick show gets? Or do they not realize that those commercials are that annoying?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I'll bring a boat-load of friends to this thread!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

BrooklynBruiser posted:

I'll bring a boat-load of friends to this thread!

That joke and Mike Lawrence's Brown v. Board of Education joke are the top two of the whole show, so far, I think. And the whole show is great, so that's saying something.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I caught this for the first time last night and it was surprisingly good.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
This is a great concept and the comedians they've had on so far have nailed it.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING
I hate this show for making me not hate Chris Hardwick.

It's really good, though. As long as they can keep up the quality of guests (and they should be able to, there's like a thousand quality comedians that all have podcasts to advertise and none of them have anything else to do), I'll stick around after Colbert for it.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
If they ever talk Norm McDonald onto this show they'll have hit the high-water mark.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I don't get the Chris Hardwick hate, I like him. He seems like a decent human being on earth comparable to others.

9thing that this show is actually loving really good sometimes Kyle Kinane was loving great.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Hollis posted:

I don't get the Chris Hardwick hate, I like him. He seems like a decent human being on earth comparable to others.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Chris Hardwick, although I'm probably the only person here that thinks he's dreamy.

Kristen Schaal last night was amazing. I've never seen her doing her own stuff, just characters or Daily Show things.

Also, if someone just described this show to me, I would probably not want to watch it. It's totally made by the chemistry between Hardwick and the guests.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Hollis posted:

9thing that this show is actually loving really good sometimes Kyle Kinane was loving great.

Overexposure, I guess. As far as I'm concerned he's fine, especially because so far he knows when to take a step back and let the "contestants" go.

Also, seconding Norm McDonald. His style of humor would fit perfectly into a panel show like this.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Tupping Liberty posted:

Kristen Schaal last night was amazing. I've never seen her doing her own stuff, just characters or Daily Show things.

Her standup's funny but kinda polarizing. A lot of people really hated her last special.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I think Chris Hardwick is really funny but I think his other tv shows and his podcast are all bad so I can see how someone could not like him. I'm not even sure about his standup really, I just think he's a great podcast guest whenever he's on Doug Loves Movies or Comedy Bang Bang or whatnot.

Tupping Liberty posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes Chris Hardwick, although I'm probably the only person here that thinks he's dreamy.

I'll back you up on that, even though I'm not into dudes.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Tupping Liberty posted:

although I'm probably the only person here that thinks he's dreamy.

You're not.

Also, I've liked his web content for a while (celebrity bowling is oddly enjoyable) but the whole talking adjective series is beyond the pale. It's mostly my inability to separate Hardwick the person/comedian from Hardwick the face of everything that is currently wrong with AMC, really.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chris Hardwick is my current television boyfriend, he's cute as hell and 41!!! How can he be 41!!

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Chris Hardwick completely owns. I've met him, he's really awesome and genuinely sweet in person.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Hollis posted:

Chris Hardwick is my current television boyfriend, he's cute as hell and 41!!! How can he be 41!!

Also disturbing, Joel McHale is 41.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

It's almost like you don't turn into a withered sack of bones and dust immediately upon hitting 40!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tupping Liberty posted:

Also disturbing, Joel McHale is 41.

Strange how you never see them in the same room :tinfoil:

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I never had an opinion on Chris Hardwick until just recently-- I saw his special Mandroid and then saw him on Talking Bad. I think he's a funny comic and a likable guy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its totally jealous hate, just saying. I think he's funny, sometimes a little dickish but he is actually a complete loving nerd. Like he really is into everything that he promotes which is awesome as he's not just some mouthpiece.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Hollis posted:

Its totally jealous hate, just saying. I think he's funny, sometimes a little dickish but he is actually a complete loving nerd. Like he really is into everything that he promotes which is awesome as he's not just some mouthpiece.

This is totally idiotic, just saying.

It's not "jealous hate", it's the fact that Chris Hardwick is the host of Talking Bad, Talking Dead, and probably a show called Talking Mad in the not-so-distant future. All of those shows are symptoms of the problem that AMC, a network which made some really great shows before tripping over its dick repeatedly in the past few years (The Killing, Rubicon, Comic Book Men, Low Winter Sun, Hell On Wheels, et cetera), has run out of ideas. It is reduced to fishing for residual ratings by having a guy talk to Marilyn Manson and Jack Osbourne for an hour.

And Chris Hardwick is that guy. He is the face of the slow death of AMC. When people express their distaste for him, that is why.

This show helps me hate him less, though, so that's nice.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Rubicon was awesome f you. <:mad:>

Also I like how apparently The Killing is Chris Hardwick's fault.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Wow, Pat Oswald is short :stare:

and I did not know Bow Wow still had a career.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

We should make a distinction between Chris Hardwick the host and Chris Hardwick the media mogul. Nerdist has proven to be an outstanding internet-entertainment-network-blog-podcast thing (what do we call these? I need to brush up on my web 2.0 lingo). He's nothing special of a host (and the main Nerdist podcast is usually garbage) but he directly supports a lot of crazy talented people (some of whom would probably be homeless otherwise :v:).

I can't hate him.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Patton Oswalt is killing it.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

The Grimace posted:

Patton Oswalt is killing it.

Aquaman!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Garfield.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Rubicon was awesome f you. <:mad:>

At the time, I kind of liked it, but then it just ended without going anywhere and so I'm retroactively mad about it.

Also, I just about choked on this apple when Patton Oswalt said Aquaman.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Jean Eric Burn posted:

We should make a distinction between Chris Hardwick the host and Chris Hardwick the media mogul. Nerdist has proven to be an outstanding internet-entertainment-network-blog-podcast thing (what do we call these? I need to brush up on my web 2.0 lingo). He's nothing special of a host (and the main Nerdist podcast is usually garbage) but he directly supports a lot of crazy talented people (some of whom would probably be homeless otherwise :v:).

I can't hate him.

If nothing else, he (and presumably Tom Lennon) know who to get to make this work, because it's been solid to amazing in terms of quality since its debut.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
"So if she calls her vagina The Cheesecake Factory, then she wants to get hosed in her Denny's?"
"NO NO NO NO...her Outback Steakhouse! \o/"

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is Patton Oswalt really that short? He looks Devito-sized next to those other two.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
He's a tiny little dude.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

comes along bort posted:

He's a tiny little dude.

He's the same height as his wife I think and his wife is of average height. I want to see a picture of him next to Brian Posehn, who is a giant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Making fun of Singled Out will never get old.

Well it'll probably get old at some point.

• Locked thread