Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

spankmeister posted:

I can't help but read Suck My Dick, Hard whenever somebody posts that acronym.

Whelp. *unzips*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I was looking at the nex-line a while ago to use with my MF-lenses but never actually got around to buy one since I was too busy buying old analog gear. But now my wife is asking for a camera that is smaller then a DSLR but better than her P&S at taking portraits so I have once more started looking at mirrorless cameras. What I'm looking for is something I can use my konica ar lenses with when I don't want to shoot film and that my wife can take nice portraits with and that doesn't look too much like a DSLR (she will go back home to Morocco for a few months and claims that she would get robbed within minutes if she walks around with something that looks like a "real" camera).

So would something out of the nex-line ( eg. newest nex-5 model) still be a good choice, or is the nex-line too long in the tooth now? And is focuspeaking ubiquitous now or is it still something that's not available on all brands/models, it doesn't seem to be available on Canons EOS M for instance (unless you install magic lantern etc)?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you don't mind the lack of a viewfinder, my NEX-5N has been a dream with my Konica AR 40 1.8. The adapter was next to nothing on eBay, and focus peaking makes manual focus a snap. The articulated screen made pseudo-waist-level shooting easy. About the only complaint I had about the camera itself was that without a viewfinder I found it hard to shoot in brightly lit situations because despite the anti-glare coating on the screen there was still significant glare. I fixed that easily enough with a pop-up screen shade off eBay for like $10. Oh and I guess I hate "baby's first menu system" on the NEX cameras too, but once you have it in A-mode you never really have to touch the menu again.

Focus Peaking is becoming pretty standard on the big mirrorless brands but it's definitely not ubiquitous. I would certainly NOT recommend a body without focus peaking once I've had the pleasure of using it.

so yeah, the newest 5 won't let you down, but honestly I'd recommend just picking up a used 5N off Craigslist. They can be had for next to nothing (in photography bucks) now, are entirely usable up to ISO3200 and even 6400 can be massaged into a usable state depending on whether you are okay with nice looking grain.

If you're looking to buy into a lens system I would probably stay away from the Sony lineup for now, but since you're looking to adapt your Konica lenses I think it's probably a good fit if you're willing to accept that you'll likely have to spend a lot more to get really high quality lenses, and even then they'll look like props from a sci-fi movie.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 9, 2014

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm aware of the problem of glare on the screen. I was initially looking at the nex-6 for the EVF but then it's a different price as well and I'm not sure I want to pay that much just for me playing around with my MF-stuff and my wife snapping portraits of her friends...

I'm in Sweden and prices for used nex-5 here are weird, they are not necessarily that much cheaper then buying new using sony cashback but I guess I could wait until a few weeks more and see if something pops up. I'm not looking into buying deep into their lens system. The kit zoom and a fast portrait lens would be enough for my wife and I have my MF-lenses.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Whats your budget and whats your MF lens? Does your camera need to look like poo poo in Moroco?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
And seriously, how actually likely is it this camera doesn't make it home with her?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Isn't this what poo poo like insurance is for?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For what it's worth, my only experience is with the 5N which I think has a better sensor than the 5, etc. But if the pricing is weird then it might not be worthwhile to look for a used 5 body like you said.

I guess the other thing to think about is the crop factor. You can certainly go with a MFT solution as well, but the 2x crop factor may start to affect you when you find that all your lenses are now 85mm+ equivalent and you need to find a 20mm-ish lens to get a "normal" focal length. The reason I picked the NEX originally was because I was pretty happy maintaining a 1.5x crop. My Konica 40mm 1.8 was effective 60mm which was still within reason for "normal" shooting.

whatever7 posted:

Does your camera need to look like poo poo in Moroco?

NEX cameras all LOOK like poo poo so this is the answer here :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 9, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
If the main thing you're looking for is an ugly camera, you can always get a K-01!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I brought my 5D2 to Morocco when it was brand new and I had absolutely zero problems with theft or other shadiness. It was actually in Spain on the way back that I got pickpocketed...

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Martytoof posted:

If you don't mind the lack of a viewfinder, my NEX-5N has been a dream with my Konica AR 40 1.8. The adapter was next to nothing on eBay, and focus peaking makes manual focus a snap. The articulated screen made pseudo-waist-level shooting easy. About the only complaint I had about the camera itself was that without a viewfinder I found it hard to shoot in brightly lit situations because despite the anti-glare coating on the screen there was still significant glare. I fixed that easily enough with a pop-up screen shade off eBay for like $10. Oh and I guess I hate "baby's first menu system" on the NEX cameras too, but once you have it in A-mode you never really have to touch the menu again.

I got a Konica 40 f/1.8 and I found the same thing. Crazy lens flare if you so much as look at it the wrong way. I would advise getting any first-party 28mm f/2.8 and a metal lens hood for it (usually a 49mm hood). 28mm works well for APS-C sensors. The metal hood will help her photos look good, protect the lens and it will protect her too since she could beat the crap out of someone with it if the situation warrants. Think of it as a bayonet for your camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I meant the back LCD screen. I haven't really had TOO much trouble with flaring, but then again I haven't used it too much either.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Hi camera goons!

I asked for a camera from a relative for Christmas and was given a Sony NEX-7. Reading the OP, I don't see it mentioned, is this the wrong thread to ask questions about it?

Basically I've been told that my camera is ridiculously nice to the point of being nearly professional level. I don't know if that's true or what that actually means, but it has lots and lots of THINGS in the menus and I don't know what any of them do. I have read the manual, it is written in some alien language I cannot parse.

I'm hoping there's a resource out there that can begin to show me what this machine supposedly does. So far I've figured out how to make everything B&W except for one of the primary colors, I can zoom, I can record videos, and I accidentally activated some sort of horizon-level that I don't know how to deactivate. I promise I've read the manual, but I know literally nothing about photography. Help me help myself.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
NEX-7 owns. Read 'Understanding Exposure' and then go back to the manual a few times. Then read understanding exposure again.

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere
Buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure

You can learn everything in there on your own using the internet for free, but the fact you're asking here instead of doing that already says you'd probably rather read this book.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Costello Jello posted:

Buy this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding...anding+exposure

You can learn everything in there on your own using the internet for free, but the fact you're asking here instead of doing that already says you'd probably rather read this book.

It's actually more that I'd rather not sift through 50 different online tutorials/guides/whatever if I could go straight to one that is Goon Recommended, but I'm happy to invest :20bux: in a book too!

Thanks to both of you!

black.lion fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 9, 2014

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

black.lion posted:

It's actually more that I'd rather not sift through 50 different online tutorials/guides/whatever if I could go straight to one that is Goon Recommended, but I'm happy to invest :20bux: in a book too!

Thanks to both of you!

Yes this is a good choice because a decent portion of the poo poo online is written by complete retards (see: this entire thread, my post history, etc).

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

This is less an image of my evolution and more an image of all of my possible states.

E: this is more like it:

Rot fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 9, 2014

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Confirming fuji x as drunk camera.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

drat straight, my Xpro1 with the 35mm is great to take to the Pub.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Went into Vistek to checkout the X-E2 + 23mm vs X100s and snapped some raw files onto my SD card for viewing at home. On a lark, I tried out the A7+55mm ZA FE... Not meaning to derail the Fuji-bukkake-train-to-hell, but holy gently caress can that combo put some shame on other systems. I realize that it's a $1000 lens attached to a $1700 body and that Sony has the product attention span of an incest-born downie, but if they can stick to this type of quality with upcoming lenses, I would really consider it as my go-to AF MILC.

Also, whoever said the A7 was enough for them has it right. The A7R is a total stuntcock - it's just meant to impress with 36 megapickles, but the A7 seems to be where sane design happened.

krooj fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 10, 2014

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
I planned to skip the Zeiss FE 55mm, since I have so much fast manual glass in 50mm. The reviews coming back are saying it's one of the best lenses available on any platform. So tempted now... Maybe the Dollar will continue to strengthen against the Yen and I can pick one up in Japan next month for a bit less.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

RustedChrome posted:

I planned to skip the Zeiss FE 55mm, since I have so much fast manual glass in 50mm. The reviews coming back are saying it's one of the best lenses available on any platform. So tempted now... Maybe the Dollar will continue to strengthen against the Yen and I can pick one up in Japan next month for a bit less.

Here's a screener from LR5 @ 100%. I only applied the direct positive filter:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Some of the drunkest moments of my life in the past two years have been with an X100/s around my neck. I I end up taking more (better?) pictures too.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Elliotw2 posted:

If the main thing you're looking for is an ugly camera, you can always get a K-01!

I literally came here to post "I'd switch to Fuji but I only buy really ugly cameras". gently caress....

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

black.lion posted:

Hi camera goons!

I asked for a camera from a relative for Christmas and was given a Sony NEX-7. Reading the OP, I don't see it mentioned, is this the wrong thread to ask questions about it?

No this is the right thread, the OP hasn't been updated since 2003.

--

:siren:In todays Fuji Wankfest 2014 news:siren:

ALL fuji cameras and lenses are on sale in Canada till the end of the month.

10-24mm F4 sample images are up on fuji website here:

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/x/fujinon_lens_xf10_24mmf4_r_ois/sample_images/

\/\/ I was going to make a new thread but the OP came in and said he was going to update the OP.

keyframe fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 10, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Wasn't someone making a new OP that only included the three mirrorless systems anyone cares about anymore?

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Wasn't someone making a new OP that only included the three mirrorless systems anyone cares about anymore?

So it's going to be exclusively about the Pentax Q, Samsung NX, and Canon EOS M mounts?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

HPL posted:

I got a Konica 40 f/1.8 and I found the same thing. Crazy lens flare if you so much as look at it the wrong way. I would advise getting any first-party 28mm f/2.8 and a metal lens hood for it (usually a 49mm hood). 28mm works well for APS-C sensors. The metal hood will help her photos look good, protect the lens and it will protect her too since she could beat the crap out of someone with it if the situation warrants. Think of it as a bayonet for your camera.

If you can tolerate 50mm instead of 42mm equivalent, grab a Super/Super Multi Coated Takumar 35/3.5. They're slow, but sharp and cheap and flare resistant. Super is single coated, SMC has the excellent Pentax multicoating. You can pick up the Super for $39 from KEH, which is a bargain.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 10, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

HolyDukeNukem posted:

So it's going to be exclusively about the Pentax Q, Samsung NX, and Canon EOS M mounts?

Samsung NX? I take all my pictures with a Nikon 1.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Elliotw2 posted:

Samsung NX? I take all my pictures with a Nikon 1.

both of which have a better lens selection than sony

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

keyframe posted:

:siren:In todays Fuji Wankfest 2014 news:siren:

ALL fuji cameras and lenses are on sale in Canada till the end of the month.

So they're only at a 60% premium instead of an 80%? Sweet! (Seriously, details? I haven't seen anything besides price drops on the XE-1 for obvious reasons).

And just to not troll too much, Mr. Despair was right about the dial under the shutter button on the OM-D EM-5 and -1 being well-placed. I guess the GX7 has one too, too bad they're both usually $1000. But if you're Canadian, you can combat Fujism by getting an EM-5 with kit lens for $900 ($100 less without lens).

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

eXXon posted:

So they're only at a 60% premium instead of an 80%? Sweet! (Seriously, details? I haven't seen anything besides price drops on the XE-1 for obvious reasons).

And just to not troll too much, Mr. Despair was right about the dial under the shutter button on the OM-D EM-5 and -1 being well-placed. I guess the GX7 has one too, too bad they're both usually $1000. But if you're Canadian, you can combat Fujism by getting an EM-5 with kit lens for $900 ($100 less without lens).

It is different for each store usually so ask your local store. Online there are $40 to $200 savings on lenses. I will find out when I stop by at the camera store this weekend.

http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/default.asp?cat=0&subcat=&brand=&search=Fuji%20X&colour=0&mount=0&sortby=1

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

both of which have a better lens selection than sony

much like the pentax 110 auto

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

keyframe posted:

It is different for each store usually so ask your local store. Online there are $40 to $200 savings on lenses. I will find out when I stop by at the camera store this weekend.

http://www.cameracanada.com/eNet-cart/default.asp?cat=0&subcat=&brand=&search=Fuji%20X&colour=0&mount=0&sortby=1

Wait the 14mm is 780 canadian according to google its 718 USD? Thats pretty good price. What kind of warranty can I get with a Canadian lens?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SoundMonkey posted:

much like the pentax 110 auto

which has twice the sensor size of the Nikon

(110 is 13x17mm, J sensor is 13x9mm)

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I love my j1 gently caress the haterz

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

whatever7 posted:

Whats your budget and whats your MF lens? Does your camera need to look like poo poo in Moroco?

Haven't decided the budget, but preferably cheap in photography bux. And it doesn't have to look like poo poo, just like a poo poo camera. My wife's words on it was (paraphrasing here) "it's ok for you as a big touristy swede to walk around with a big, expensive looking, camera since they would think twice about touching you. But I'm a small girl so me they would steal it from me if it looks like anything else than a P&S."

Mr. Despair posted:

Isn't this what poo poo like insurance is for?

Well if I buy used then it would fall under my home-insurance, which is cheap as poo poo but also has a high deductible so I'd rather try to avoid that.

ChirreD
Feb 21, 2007
Dutch, baby!

Cacator posted:

Some of the drunkest moments of my life in the past two years have been with an X100/s around my neck. I I end up taking more (better?) pictures too.

Funny, I can relate. During a wedding I shot so many drunken pictures, they were among my best.
I guess it helps to not care, be bold and shoot up close while smiling like an idiot all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MadlabsRobot posted:

Haven't decided the budget, but preferably cheap in photography bux. And it doesn't have to look like poo poo, just like a poo poo camera. My wife's words on it was (paraphrasing here) "it's ok for you as a big touristy swede to walk around with a big, expensive looking, camera since they would think twice about touching you. But I'm a small girl so me they would steal it from me if it looks like anything else than a P&S."

Well if I buy used then it would fall under my home-insurance, which is cheap as poo poo but also has a high deductible so I'd rather try to avoid that.

The reason I asked you what MF lens do you have is that a camera with EVF will make MF lens shooting more enjoyable. If you MF collection is anywhere decent (say worth more than 300 dollar in total) you should spend the extra money to get EVF. N6 has better MF aid than the XE1 but the EVF is slightly worse. I think both are cheaper than you think and either one is worth the money.

As far as cheap looking camera, just use mask tape to make it look like poo poo. Also a Hello Kitty sticker helps.