Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dur posted:

the enterprise-a has 78 decks
when a klingon warship wants to fire photon torpedoes, a periscope comes down from the ceiling so the captain can aim them like a wwii submarine

60 year old uhura can do a sexy stripper fan dance (complete with props) at the drop of a hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

FMguru posted:

when a klingon warship wants to fire photon torpedoes, a periscope comes down from the ceiling so the captain can aim them like a wwii submarine

60 year old uhura can do a sexy stripper fan dance (complete with props) at the drop of a hat

8|

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

lol, shatner wanted spocks half-brother to ride a unicorn

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

dur posted:

lol, shatner wanted spocks half-brother to ride a unicorn

sometimes i think that shatner was the only one involved who really wanted it to succeed but also thought his absolutely insane cornball ideas were the way to go

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

sometimes i think that shatner was the only one involved who really wanted it to succeed but also thought his absolutely insane cornball ideas were the way to go

i'm glad they kept him bangin green chicks in the reboot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

i don't really see a big problem with this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm glad they kept him bangin green chicks in the reboot

kirk never banged a green chick in tos

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

he wanted to, but the evil villain murdered her before they had the chance

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
fyi star trek V is a pro as heck movie esp when compared to 1, all 4 next generation movies, and jj2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

angry_keebler posted:

fyi star trek V is a pro as heck movie compared to jj2

i just came in here to say this.

jj2 was so bad that i'd rather just watch the uhura fan dance from st V in a loop

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pseudorandom name posted:

he wanted to, but the evil villain murdered her before they had the chance

only green chick i remember kirk meeting was a psycho murderer in supermax prison

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Glorgnole posted:

i don't think you can be double-virgin though??

this here thread is the only place in the universe that has the answer to this question

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

only green chick i remember kirk meeting was a psycho murderer in supermax prison

yeah, I was confusing the green chick from the menagerie with some other girl kirk wanted to bang but couldn't because she got murdered first

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just finally saw star trek vi last week and dang that was good. figures that gene roddenberry hated it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
star trek VI is the best trek movie

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Shaggar posted:

star trek VI is the best trek movie

it's weird to see you have right opinions

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
star trek vi suffers from being rushed and having a smaller budget after V flopped and from being a rejected agatha christie story in space and from we're all old now and we need nostalgic space shots of the enterprise

but considering all that it's still a pretty good scifi movie

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

it manages to have a little bit of politics without being boring as gently caress, that seems pretty star trek. plus it's got grampa worf

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
6 was great and anyone who thinks into darkness was worse than, say, nemesis is crazy

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

haveblue posted:

6 was great and anyone who thinks into darkness was worse than, say, nemesis is crazy

the correct ranking of star trek movies:

the genesis trilogy
VI
JJ1
V
JJ2
first contact
generations
nemesis
the motion picture*
insurrection

*note if you are high on a lot of cool drugs then the long scenes showing that v'ger is really fuckin' big no joke are way better and move this above jj2

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
jj2 might be a decent movie when your comparing it to nemesis

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
v'ger is one of the more alien aliens of any sci-fi movie

which i guess is ironic considering its origin

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

also vi is arguably better than any of the individual genesis trilogy movies but is not as good as the overall genesis story

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
the first star trek movie is such a mind gently caress that when you watch it today you are genuinely shocked they actually made it

it's like 0 action compared to the TNG movies which are all about Picard mowing down people as if he was Bruce Willis

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

raruler posted:

the first star trek movie is such a mind gently caress that when you watch it today you are genuinely shocked they actually made it

it's like 0 action compared to the TNG movies which are all about Picard mowing down people as if he was Bruce Willis

to be fair, picards backstory is that he was basically that guy until he nearly loving died and then decided "i should reign it in a bit"

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

ol qwerty bastard posted:

v'ger is one of the more alien aliens of any sci-fi movie

which i guess is ironic considering its origin

that movie had cool ideas it was boring as gently caress tho

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

angry_keebler posted:

also vi is arguably better than any of the individual genesis trilogy movies but is not as good as the overall genesis story

i can agree with this

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

I wonder if we'll ever see a Rendezvous to Rama movie, I feel like it would be boring as heck in a movie.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

how about a Foundation movie

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

DiggityDoink posted:

that movie had cool ideas it was boring as gently caress tho

that transporter accident at the beginning was a little disturbing to 10 year old me

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

angry_keebler posted:

yeah i can dig this

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Forever War could be pretty legit as a hbo miniseries

raruler posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see a Rendezvous to Rama movie, I feel like it would be boring as heck in a movie.

probably yeah, since the whole point of the book is to have explorers hypothesize about a bunch of unexplained and unexplainable alien artifacts

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

angry_keebler posted:

star trek vi suffers from being rushed and having a smaller budget after V flopped
it actually had the same budget, i can't remember offhand who talked paramount into it but it did

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

probably yeah, since the whole point of the book is to have explorers hypothesize about a bunch of unexplained and unexplainable alien artifacts

although we did get a Sphere movie

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

angry_keebler posted:

fyi star trek V is a pro as heck movie esp when compared to 1, all 4 next generation movies, and jj2
wrong

it's not as soul-crushingly dead and mindless as nemesis or as pointless as insurrection but it looks cheaper and trashier than the average b-movie and revolves around shatner's stupid pop psychology/philosophy and has a layer of lovely "jokes" slathered generously on top of all that

seriously one of the worst things i've ever seen, only redeeming quality is how goddamn baffling it sometimes gets which gives it some measure of entertainment value

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 9, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raruler posted:

although we did get a Sphere movie

that had one of my favorite samuel jackson lines

Are you afraid of dying, Norman?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

angry_keebler posted:

*note if you are high on a lot of cool drugs then the long scenes showing that v'ger is really fuckin' big no joke are way better and move this above jj2

star trek the motion picture is so underrated. take it in context. it came out in 1979. years before tng. none of the other movies had been made. no sci-fi film had been made out of a tv show before. "alien" and "the black hole" were the only serious scifi i can even think of from before ST:TMP and they are really, really not upbeat films.

it features:
  • really good special effects
  • a significant amount of actual science fiction
  • halfway decent acting
  • non-zero amounts of characterization

you don't have to be high as gently caress to enjoy the cool v'ger scenes in the director's cut. (but it helps)

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 9, 2014

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sham bam bamina! posted:

it actually had the same budget, i can't remember offhand who talked paramount into it but it did

they spent the budget wisely and re-used footage/sets/costumes whenever possible

the end result is really good

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

raruler posted:

pro tip: it was boring as heck in a book, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i kinda hate how all sci fi have to be action movies now even if i actually enjoyed jjtrek (because i have poo poo taste)

• Locked thread