Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Create that folder in advance too then. I actually think that might be what I did now that I think about it. It was something really stupid like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Create that folder in advance too then. I actually think that might be what I did now that I think about it. It was something really stupid like that.
Sorry, I may have been unclear - the new error happened when I did create the folder in advance.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, I think I got my install problem sorted, and now I'm having a new one - I have a decent sized library (16k songs or so) and they're all in iTunes Match. Most of them are also in existence on the hard drive of this desktop computer. When reinstalling iTunes, I pointed it at the correct library directory, signed into match, then added the folder to the library. All of this took a while to process, but at the end of it, I seem to have two copies of everything. If I had not added the folder, would it be wanting to redownload everything? How should I have done this?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Krakkles posted:

How should I have done this?

Sign into Match last, not first.

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
iTunes Radio issue: sometimes my stations just do the greyscale candy cane in the main window status bar for a few seconds and then it stops. It just won't load another song. Sometimes other stations work. And at arbitrary times, they start working again. Is this some sort of server load issue? Why isn't iTunes telling me what's wrong?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Ok, I think I got my install problem sorted, and now I'm having a new one - I have a decent sized library (16k songs or so) and they're all in iTunes Match. Most of them are also in existence on the hard drive of this desktop computer. When reinstalling iTunes, I pointed it at the correct library directory, signed into match, then added the folder to the library. All of this took a while to process, but at the end of it, I seem to have two copies of everything. If I had not added the folder, would it be wanting to redownload everything? How should I have done this?

Moving forward, since your basic question was answered: My library is about this big, and have found that starting massive undertakings involving all the songs are best served by dabbling a bit with a few just to test, then applying changes piecemeal.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Other favorite iTunes 11 bug: the LCD display part with the song title and scrubber will just go blank at random times. GG Tim.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

porktree posted:

Ok, some iTunes weirdness. I normally sync both my phone and ipad to itunes a couple times a week. The devices are both on 7.03, and itunes is 11.1.2.31 (windows 7, 64bit). Suddenly last week, itunes stopped 'finishing sync' - it literally gets to that step and will stay there forever on both devices (or for 3-4 hours). I can unplug the device and it's fine, I can shutdown itunes and start it back up and it's fine - I can do a backup only and it works. AND, if I sync the device over wifi the sync finishes. Anyone see anything like this, and know of a way to fix it?
This happened to me for a while; I think I got off lucky in that a backup / restore fixed it.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
iTunes Match must finally have been enabled for Finland, because I've started seeing those iCloud download icons in my track lists. The odd thing is that I haven't subscribed to Match (yet), and the tracks that are available for download are somewhat odd. I still have the original files I initially downloaded from iTunes, complete with their old ratings. But iTunes shows these new matches as separate from the old tracks.

Is there a way to reconcile these differences or do I have to manually update ratings for the iTunes Match versions and then delete the original tracks?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So under playback preferences, what's up with is?

I get that you can't get a higher bit rate than what you're putting in (a 128 kbit doesn't magically sound better) but it doesn't seem to do anything. I bumped up bitrate and samples and I can't hear any difference.

Is this some stupid audiophile thing, where if I had perfect hearing and the perfect listening environment I'd hear the difference?

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
192kHz sample rate is not the same thing as a 192kbps MP3…

A CD you buy off the shelf is going to be 44kHz 16bit, for example. Higher bitrates are most often found in production or high end studio use where the extra information is useful to get the best quality pre-mixdown. For general playback anything more than CD quality isn't really necessary, because of the source material likely not being anything better than CD quality in the first place.

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 29, 2013

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
rant on:

I am so sick and loving tired of my ipad/iphone failing to sync with that "waiting for changes to be applied" bullshit. It happens all the time and I have to loving reset the device to zero.

Itunes is a piece of crap and I wish AAPL would start all over with it.

rant off

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Snuffman posted:

So under playback preferences, what's up with is?

I get that you can't get a higher bit rate than what you're putting in (a 128 kbit doesn't magically sound better) but it doesn't seem to do anything. I bumped up bitrate and samples and I can't hear any difference.

Is this some stupid audiophile thing, where if I had perfect hearing and the perfect listening environment I'd hear the difference?

Keep it set to 16-bit and 44.1 KHz unless you're using a DAC with your computer that you know supports 24-bit output and higher sampling rates.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

hirvox posted:

iTunes Match must finally have been enabled for Finland, because I've started seeing those iCloud download icons in my track lists. The odd thing is that I haven't subscribed to Match (yet), and the tracks that are available for download are somewhat odd. I still have the original files I initially downloaded from iTunes, complete with their old ratings. But iTunes shows these new matches as separate from the old tracks.

Is there a way to reconcile these differences or do I have to manually update ratings for the iTunes Match versions and then delete the original tracks?

Maybe it's just iTunes in the Cloud and not iTunes Match.

Edit: iTunes in the Cloud being the "you can redownload stuff that you bought" service. Compared to old iTunes, where the download of the song you bought was it, and if you lost that particular file, you had to buy it again. Sounds like it isn't properly matching up the old songs to the ones on the store.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 30, 2013

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

Samara posted:

rant on:

I am so sick and loving tired of my ipad/iphone failing to sync with that "waiting for changes to be applied" bullshit. It happens all the time and I have to loving reset the device to zero.

rant off

There are a lot of unhappy people about this out there. It has to get fixed sometime, you'd think.

For me, the only thing that's worked is doing a factory restore (which gets rid of all the "other" that shows up as space used on your phone, and seems to be [part of] the problem), and then breaking my playlists up into smaller chunks and syncing them one at a time. It's a pain in the rear end. Getting my Outlook up and running again is annoying, and the process is going to be worse for you if you have a lot of photos, apps, etc. on your phone -- I only have music and podcasts, mostly -- but so far it's worked. It's not like the "waiting for changes to be applied" just flies by now, but it usually completes the sync within 5 or 10 minutes or so.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Why do people still sync with iTunes anyway? The only thing I can think of is to move albums with iPhoto or whatever but that's OSX.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I use it for the music, videos, photos, etc. I don't have Match, so I don't know how else you would get that onto the phone. Also, I have an iPod Classic.

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

Samara posted:

rant on:

rant off

This used to happen to me, and in the end I just waited it out. Took forever but when it completed it seemed to go a lot quicker from then on. Other than that, transfer off your voice memos, as syncing them seems to be an issue as well.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Does anyone know of a good solution for sharing an iTunes library over the internet? I used to use Simplify Media a few years back but that's been long gone. If there isn't anything feasible anymore aside from a full blown VPN set up, I'd take something that presents a remote web interface.

I know I could do iTunes Match but with my friends' lukewarm impressions of it and my loving awful experience with Google Play's cloud music have me leery of shelling out for it. Especially since I'm stuck with this galaxy s3 garbage for a few more months and won't be able to use the mobile side of it in the meantime.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
iTunes Match is fantastic, but you can't access your library though a browser, you have to use iTunes or an iOS device.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

PRADA SLUT posted:

iTunes Match is fantastic, but you can't access your library though a browser, you have to use iTunes or an iOS device.

How does matching treat clean vs original versions? One of the [many] problems I had with Google is cloud versions were always the lovely radio edits. Or just straight up different songs. Or just half a song.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Can somebody please explain to me how I should be syncing my podcasts so that I don't constantly get "This episode is temporarily unavailable" on my phone? All I want is to be able to play half of SGU while I put away my laundry, then put my headphones in and listen to the rest while I walk across town. I've tried enabling and disabling the 'Sync subscriptions' options on the phone and on my Mac, enabling and disabling 'Sync podcasts' in iTunes, and generally following some of the more reasonable suggestions in this thread. At this point I have no idea what the 'Apple way' of doing this looks like but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like an enraged nerd throwing his phone under a bus. :(

The Milkman posted:

Does anyone know of a good solution for sharing an iTunes library over the internet? I used to use Simplify Media a few years back but that's been long gone. If there isn't anything feasible anymore aside from a full blown VPN set up, I'd take something that presents a remote web interface.

I know I could do iTunes Match but with my friends' lukewarm impressions of it and my loving awful experience with Google Play's cloud music have me leery of shelling out for it. Especially since I'm stuck with this galaxy s3 garbage for a few more months and won't be able to use the mobile side of it in the meantime.
I'm pretty sure Plex could do this.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
You might consider trying Stitcher instead of Podcasts. Seems far more reliable for sync, and while it's meant for streaming, it has an offline mode that caches your playlist (that's right, playlist).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The Milkman posted:

How does matching treat clean vs original versions? One of the [many] problems I had with Google is cloud versions were always the lovely radio edits. Or just straight up different songs. Or just half a song.

I've never had a problem with it. I've heard that on occasion it'll fetch the wrong edit or something, but it's pretty rare to happen. Supposedly it's worse with pirated music, better with imported discs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nihiliste posted:

You might consider trying Stitcher instead of Podcasts. Seems far more reliable for sync, and while it's meant for streaming, it has an offline mode that caches your playlist (that's right, playlist).
My understanding was that third-party apps like Downcast or Stitcher aren't able to sync playback information with iTunes, or am I wrong? It's not uncommon for me to be halfway through 3 different podcasts at one time, so syncing the current playback location between phone / Mac is super important to me.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

TACD posted:

My understanding was that third-party apps like Downcast or Stitcher aren't able to sync playback information with iTunes, or am I wrong? It's not uncommon for me to be halfway through 3 different podcasts at one time, so syncing the current playback location between phone / Mac is super important to me.

They don't sync with iTunes, but Stitcher is multi-platform - iOS, web, Android. You'd just have to stop using iTunes as your anchor for podcasts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Nihiliste posted:

They don't sync with iTunes, but Stitcher is multi-platform - iOS, web, Android. You'd just have to stop using iTunes as your anchor for podcasts.
Ah I hadn't thought of there being a web interface. I'll give that a go then, thanks. :)

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Nihiliste posted:

Can you set Stitcher to always cache all unplayed episodes? I currently use Downcast for syncing between iOS and OS X, but I'd really like something that would work on Android as well, as I've been tempted to switch to Android for my personal phone for a while now.

E: actually, Stitcher doesn't have a desktop client does it. That would be kind of annoying.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

GokieKS posted:

Can you set Stitcher to always cache all unplayed episodes? I currently use Downcast for syncing between iOS and OS X, but I'd really like something that would work on Android as well, as I've been tempted to switch to Android for my personal phone for a while now.

E: actually, Stitcher doesn't have a desktop client does it. That would be kind of annoying.

There's no dedicated desktop client, but you can just use the website.

As for caching unplayed episodes, I'll quote a Sticher blog post:

"Stitcher automatically updates in the background when you open the app, so you’re always up to date. Set Stitcher to update via WiFi only to conserve your cellular data. Worried about space? Stitcher always displays the amount of storage used, and you can delete saved shows with one tap."

MyLightyear
Jul 2, 2006
A blindness that touches perfection,
But hurts just like anything else.

TACD posted:

Can somebody please explain to me how I should be syncing my podcasts so that I don't constantly get "This episode is temporarily unavailable" on my phone? All I want is to be able to play half of SGU while I put away my laundry, then put my headphones in and listen to the rest while I walk across town. I've tried enabling and disabling the 'Sync subscriptions' options on the phone and on my Mac, enabling and disabling 'Sync podcasts' in iTunes, and generally following some of the more reasonable suggestions in this thread. At this point I have no idea what the 'Apple way' of doing this looks like but I'm pretty sure it's not supposed to look like an enraged nerd throwing his phone under a bus. :(
I'm pretty sure Plex could do this.

I had this issue a little while back. The apple support thread I read suggested that the issue may be due to a damaged music library through an incomplete sync. I synced my phone manually with iTunes and it fixed it right up.

I've found the new sync podcast stuff build into iTunes to be broken as gently caress. Ended up switching to Instacast.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

The Milkman posted:

I've never had it grab the wrong version, the fingerprinting seems very strict. Like for individual albums that are mostly 'matched' it will randomly have one or two tracks that are 'uploaded' because of some really tiny difference between your local copy and the iTunes copy.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

The Milkman posted:

As of late, much, much better.

At launch it would frequently grab clean versions (which was quite surprising as a former LaLa user), but Apple started working on that almost immediately. I've had a whopping one mismatch in the past year.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

In iTunes, if an artist's name is "The Fox", that artist will be sorted as just "Fox" etc.

Is there a way to get iTunes to treat "Lil" (as in lil B, etc.) the same as "The"?

edit:thanks

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 13, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Pertplus posted:

In iTunes, if an artist's name is "The Fox", that artist will be sorted as just "Fox" etc.

Is there a way to get iTunes to treat "Lil" (as in lil B, etc.) the same as "The"?

I don't think so, but you can set a custom sorting artist on those to make iTunes sort them without the Lil.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If you get info on the song/artist, there's a section of that window for "Sort By". Then you just type in what you want the artist to sort by. I do this for some artists who go by their name instead of a band name.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

lookoutbelow posted:

There are a lot of unhappy people about this out there. It has to get fixed sometime, you'd think.

For me, the only thing that's worked is doing a factory restore (which gets rid of all the "other" that shows up as space used on your phone, and seems to be [part of] the problem), and then breaking my playlists up into smaller chunks and syncing them one at a time. It's a pain in the rear end. Getting my Outlook up and running again is annoying, and the process is going to be worse for you if you have a lot of photos, apps, etc. on your phone -- I only have music and podcasts, mostly -- but so far it's worked. It's not like the "waiting for changes to be applied" just flies by now, but it usually completes the sync within 5 or 10 minutes or so.

After 8+ hours of either 'waiting for items to copy' or 'waiting for changes to be applied' I finally finished syncing my collection yesterday. Then I notice that apple has broken smart playlists based on ratings for some reason. I edit the playlist, re-sync and get stuck in another eternal waiting for changes to be applied. After failing to cancel the sync I now have another huge chunk of 'other' and everything is corrupt. Something is seriously rotten in ios7 or iTunes.

Can anyone recommend a good iTunes alternative for Windows?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Stupid iTunes, "Bedroom Speaker" is too long of an Airplay device name to fully show?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
It's probably best that you don't pipe AC/DC into your bedroom anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

It's probably best that you don't pipe AC/DC into your bedroom anyway.

But then how will she shake him all night long?

Yeah, you