Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Cascade Failure posted:

Re: the problems in the game, there's a topic on the official forums which is imo pretty spot on:

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/160258-fixing-the-fundamentals/

Some of the things the guy is suggesting as fixes I don't agree with 100% but it's surprisingly well thought out and presented.

Yeah, that comes across as more "has a lot of words in it" then "well thought out". For Christ's sake the introduction is more than a page long. It's basically "I have some ideas I think they are good I hope you also think so".

A bunch of those ideas seem like they originated from an idea of how to simulate something without any consideration of how that will actually impact the gameplay (what behaviors does it encourage/discourage and what's the change to reactivity?) or indeed whether or not that thing needs to be simulated at all. There's stuff like demands for high precision mechanics (for an online P2P game!), seemingly endless highly specific suggestions, a repeated fetishization of "player skill" (which seems to be of the "sick-nasty headshot" variety), and a bizarre desire to introduce completely unnecessary novel nomenclature. It's basically a greatest-hits of why people roll their eyes at the phrase "amateur game design".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arclyte
Apr 21, 2002
I only made it about halfway through the doc, the apologizing and groveling and name dropping were too much to suffer through. I got the impression that the guy just really wants them to abandon Warframe and remake Tribes or something.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Arclyte posted:

I only made it about halfway through the doc, the apologizing and groveling and name dropping were too much to suffer through.

That's mostly a product of the environment it had to be posted in, DE's forums being what they are. The discussions that lead to it were more... frank.

Not that I'm a huge fan of the screed, it's mostly a dumbass taking other people's opinions and analyses and throwing them at the wall to see what sticks. Some of it is right, some is wrong, lots of it is trivial.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I can't believe I read that whole thing. On my phone, no less. He has a few good ideas, but they're bogged down in mountains of theorycraft and bad ideas. He wrote things like rebalancing all weapons and reworking the overpowered abilities. Obviously that should be done, but it's a lot easier to say than do.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 9, 2014

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Cascade Failure posted:

Agreed. I wasn't very clear: I meant that the analysis of what's currently wrong with the game is well thought out. Specifically:

Some guy at the warframe forums posted:

You see, players lack motivation to play Warframe. When you first join, it seems like a world of possibilities. Then, you start to approach the grind with hope. Eventually though, you start to see behind the curtain; there is nothing aside from grind.

Warframe is a numbers game. As someone once said a month or so ago, “you either have the numbers or you don’t.” If you do, the game is mind-numbingly simple. If not, it’s face-mashingly difficult.

Players aren’t rewarded for their performance. They’re on average rewarded for time spent playing the game.

There are some good & plausible ideas on the wishlist though like improving the AI to give the different factions more varied behaviour, removing serration from the game and allowing players to select from multiple random rewards at the end of missions. But yeah, there are definately better ways to go about fixing the game.

Shamelessly quoting myself for the new page.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
That is a bad document for a variety of reasons.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Dropping in to say hi and that this game looks pretty cool. I hope to soon join all you goons in loving, tolerating and then eventually despising this game. In as Orithax.

nacon
May 7, 2005

BitBasher posted:

I had a similar good karma experience last night.

On PS4 last night I got all 3 Nova parts in three total runs. I was really happy about that because between me and the friend I was doing the run with our margin for error was extremely thin. No ammo spawns when killing that boss and with very few misses and no damage hits we would both be pretty much out of ammo right as he died.

Trying to plink his last sliver of life off with a Kestrel sucked on the first run and took a while. When we went back I altered my loadout of extra ammo but it was still a close margin.

Good god I hate you. I had to run EDIT: RAPTOR 25 times to get all the Nova parts.

... I'd much rather fight Jackal compared to Raptor and his bs invulnerability phases.

nacon fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 9, 2014

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

nacon posted:

Good god I hate you. I had to run Jackal 25 times to get all the Nova parts.

I'm surprised you got any Nova parts at all out of Jackal. You should probably submit a bug report.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
So is there any reason to watch or care about this upcoming "Prime Time" thing mentioned on FB? Is this their normal livestream or something else?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Got my headband today. The red design on it is nice, but it has "Warframe *linebreak* Ninjas Play Free" on it in rather large font.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

zgrowler2 posted:

So is there any reason to watch or care about this upcoming "Prime Time" thing mentioned on FB? Is this their normal livestream or something else?

It's DERebecca and DEMegan sitting around playing the game while having an hour long chat about warframe. They go over whatever events/updates are currently up, talk about stuff going on in the office, and do some giveaways and other community stuff.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

zgrowler2 posted:

Primetime is just them playing the game (not very well) and showing fanart. The livestream with the real info is Friday at 2 PM EST.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Got it, thanks. I'll tune in Friday, then.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Got my headband today. The red design on it is nice, but it has "Warframe *linebreak* Ninjas Play Free" on it in rather large font.

It's meant to be folded in half along the length, so that either "WARFRAME" or "Ninjas Play Free" shows, with the lotus logo being correct. At least, that's how mine is. I'd never wear it, but it's still a spiffy thing for them to do for founders.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Piell posted:

Primetime is just them playing the game (not very well) and showing fanart. The livestream with the real info is Friday at 2 PM EST.

I wonder if there is any correlation between whether a developer is a bad gamer(can't play games well) and the enjoyment of their game by others.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002

SlayVus posted:

I wonder if there is any correlation between whether a developer is a bad gamer(can't play games well) and the enjoyment of their game by others.

World of Warcraft and League of Legends bear that theory out pretty well. Rebecca and Megan aren't developers though, they handle the community side of things. Gonna need to bring the lead programmers in for a T3 defense in order to judge their skills appropriately.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DelphiAegis posted:

It's meant to be folded in half along the length, so that either "WARFRAME" or "Ninjas Play Free" shows, with the lotus logo being correct. At least, that's how mine is. I'd never wear it, but it's still a spiffy thing for them to do for founders.

In my case, I'm 100% sure I'll never get mine. But just in case, and to test out how lovely my postal service is, I gave them the right adress. Let's see what happens. :v:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DelphiAegis posted:

Ahh, I can see where it's meant to be folded now. I've never even had a headband before.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Ok so this drakgoon gun seems pretty cool on paper. It's basically a shotgun of which you can tighten the spread to the point of it virtually turning into a slug round the longer you hold down the fire key, correct?

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Ok so this drakgoon gun seems pretty cool on paper. It's basically a shotgun of which you can tighten the spread to the point of it virtually turning into a slug round the longer you hold down the fire key, correct?

It also has slightly arcing projectiles (think Kunai) that bounce once. It's really visually impressive, along with a Penta user or two you can have a full-on fireworks show.

I really hate that it only does its full damage at full charge though. The difference in spread between nearly full and totally full charge shots is small, but the difference in damage output is huge.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I saw someone get a 384% accuracy with that new weapon....

What the poo poo....

Does the Charge speed increase with fire rate mods? Does punch through work if the bullets are bouncy?

Test-0
Jul 15, 2006

It lives...
I've hit over 1000%. If you put in maxed fire rate mods, you charge your shots almost instantly.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
It's not a flak cannon :negative:, it's some sort of flechette thrower. Which is still cool but flak would be way sweeter but I guess using google these days is hard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Harrower posted:

It's not a flak cannon :negative:, it's some sort of flechette thrower. Which is still cool but flak would be way sweeter but I guess using google these days is hard.

UT has a long legacy of bad gun names to uphold.

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

Azzanadra posted:

I wouldn't mind getting an invite to the PS4 clan as well, I'll need some help getting set up here for when my friend gets this game later, PSN: SAzzanadra

This seems to have been missed in the past few pages, It's been two days and holy poo poo is the hunt for serration even more annoying now that they've nerfed defense reward tiers, Helene keeps giving me things like vitality and whatnot.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Cascade Failure posted:

There are some good & plausible ideas on the wishlist though like improving the AI to give the different factions more varied behaviour, removing serration from the game and allowing players to select from multiple random rewards at the end of missions. But yeah, there are definately better ways to go about fixing the game.

I don't see it. The guy sounds like he just stated how things could be better then proceeded to give a list of contradictory things. Adding some sort of skill cliff, better AI, more stuff, doesn't solve grinding problem. The things he proposed either change the game completely or doesn't solve the problem he proposed in the first place. Adding a skill cliff actually makes more grinding problem except for those with skills. All it does is separating the haves and have-nots. Right now the only separator is time invested which is the most fair to the majority of the population.

The game is fine. They just need to pad up more content: more enemy types, more factions, more mission types, more weird weapons/frames. Yes, there is grinding but the grinding is fun. The only annoyance is some mods being so essential you're practically gimped without them. DE could just make them rewards you get when you ranked up. Bam, problem solved.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Harrower posted:

It's literally the flak cannon from Unreal Tournament (well, almost literally, it's got a different secondary fire mode). Since DE helped developed UT, it's not surprising to see some of the (amazing) gun designs from there pop up. Personally, this is my favorite gun yet, at least until the Shock Rifle comes along. :allears:

On the topic of game improvements, I think there is plenty DE could do to make the game better. A total overhaul of the game isn't one of them. Personally I'm happy with their general trajectory. They are adding new content quickly (content being tilesets, weapons, frames, etc) and show a willingness to update and overhaul old systems (damage, melee, ui). Could they do things better? Definitely. A lot of that stuff has been covered in this thread. Personally, I think their focus should be on maximizing the Space-Ninja feel by really making the movement system work and overhauling the melee system completely. After that I think the Mod system should get a total retrofit. Not only fixing Serration, but giving us the ability to take "fun" mods like Auto-Parry and the like.

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 10, 2014

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Serration and multi shot should just be rolled into the weapons base damage. As it levels up it just deals more damage. Then we can focus on elemental damage, crit, and all the attack rate/status/reload/extra ammo mods.

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Harrower posted:

Serration and multi shot should just be rolled into the weapons base damage. As it levels up it just deals more damage. Then we can focus on elemental damage, crit, and all the attack rate/status/reload/extra ammo mods.

That doesn't solve anything except cutting off grinding and time requirement. With Serration damage boost included in the weaon, now the elemental and other mods became the "must haves".

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
After 20 runs I finally got the frost systems BP :unsmith:

If any ps4 goons need stretch or cryo rounds, I got a bunch now from fighting that battle so many times.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

wid posted:

That doesn't solve anything except cutting off grinding and time requirement. With Serration damage boost included in the weaon, now the elemental and other mods became the "must haves".

they already are????

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
There are very few rifle and pistol mods that don't directly impact DPS. Straight damage, elemental, multishot, crit chance/damage, fire rate, etc. all obviously increase DPS. Things like larger magazines, lower reloads and stuff also increase DPS, but moreso affect the way a gun is used. What mods really do something other than DPS? Punch-through, zoom, Firestorm, Hush (why does this exist), recoil, and Thunderbolt. There isn't much thought or creativity involved in choosing weapon mods. There's a bit more for warframes and melee weapons, but there are still some must-have mods and a large pool of mods that just can't stack up.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Really the biggest thing DE needs to do is make some interesting enemies. The large majority of the enemies are just meat shields that don't do anything interesting, and the few that do something different (Shockwave Moas, for example) get to use their trick maybe once before getting burned down since they have so little HP. Get some minibosses in there with Warframe-level powers, with lots of HP and an aura that buffs the regular enemies around them.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Piell posted:

Really the biggest thing DE needs to do is make some interesting enemies. The large majority of the enemies are just meat shields that don't do anything interesting, and the few that do something different (Shockwave Moas, for example) get to use their trick maybe once before getting burned down since they have so little HP. Get some minibosses in there with Warframe-level powers, with lots of HP and an aura that buffs the regular enemies around them.

Grineer heavy with M Prime :gibs:.

vvvv Sniper rifles in particular need punch through to be remotely viable. Bows get it on full charge, but well, bows.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 10, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
On the subject of needed damage mods. I feel that punch through is required. Especially on survival and defense missions. With enemies funneling through predictably paths, you can increase your dps drastically by just standing in the right spot.

For instance, the defense missions in the cave with the reactor in the center. I can stand in one spot and cover multiple enemy spawns. So like right out of the spawn area, I can cover the two spawns to the right and the spawn directly opposite of those from just standing directly in between them at the reactor. On the opposite side of the reactor, if you stand on the single giant create at the edge of the reactor you can cover practically all the points.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

chumbler posted:

Grineer heavy with M Prime :gibs:.

vvvv Sniper rifles in particular need punch through to be remotely viable. Bows get it on full charge, but well, bows.

Yo, don't dis bows. With a one third full serration, the crit mods and multi-shot and magnetic element, my Paris would one-shot old Vay Hek. And I mean proper one-shot. Did like, almost 9k damage.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I've had crits on my Dread hit upwards of 25k, and that's without any forma sunk into it. Bows suffer from DPS issues against crowds, but they're far from terrible.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So can anyone tell me who/what I have to grind for serration, rifle/pistol/shotgun multishots, shotgun spaz and focus? Because god drat these just won't drop at all for me. :mad:

In other news, I found out that putting blast damage on the Tigris causes bodies to fly across the room when you gib them, which owns pretty hard. I'm hoping the Drakgoon does the same thing when I get blast on it. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Is thunderbolt still terrible or did DMG 2.0 save it somehow?

Also my Mag Prime just finished cooking, how do I set it up for max pull hilarity?