Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

SynthOrange posted:

After the Hulk events and some drunk iap purchases, my Spider-Man is in pretty good shape. Doom/Spider-Man pair up with webs and demons to tear poo poo up. It's not speedy, but it is effective.

I've got my Spidey up to level 125 but m Doom is stuck at level 66 because I can't get any more blue covers. It's definitely not fast enough for me right now in the end scramble, even if I can make it out unscathed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yelena should have been in the Black Widow tournament as a comedy option.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

An in-depth write up of all the characters in game.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1789

old chubbyknees
Jul 10, 2006
Who bez?
I ended up with one of the bugged daily rewards. It's great! I got a week or two worth of ISO, HP, which gave me just enough to buy another slot for the new wolverine. Obviously he's useless until more covers enter the game...

Edit: At least he has a rad tux

old chubbyknees fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 9, 2014

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Whew... came first in the Magneto lightning round. That was a very competitive and nail-biting match. I fell to 10th with 10 minutes remaining. I put on all my boosts, killed the top dogs as fast as I could, and slapped on a shield with 3 minutes to go. Luckily everyone else looked like they got crabbed a bit so I sneaked into the top at the final minutes.

Here's what it looked like:

Eddain
May 6, 2007
So do Shields just prevent you from losing points or does it block you from showing up as an opponent entirely?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Eddain posted:

So do Shields just prevent you from losing points or does it block you from showing up as an opponent entirely?

Prevent you from losing points.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004
I can't even get anywhere near the top 25 with my team. My best villain is Rag with 2 covers. Unless I get some lucky breaks, even top 50 is a challenge.

Seems like Wolverine and Thor just aren't cutting it. I have a 79 Spiderman and Hulk, but I can't kill fast enough with the either on my team to climb rank.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Maybe try tanking your MMR a bit? I was able to get into Top 15 (or 25, whichever it is that gives you Green Rag) earlier with a 85 Wolverine (5/3/5), 25 Rag (2 Red) and ~60 OBW (3/5/5) because I kept tanking my MMR in previous LRs. Only got attacked once during the whole time. Granted, this isn't the sort of thing you can chain over and over, cause you'll have to tank your ratings again after placing so high. But tanking is easy enough. Just get up to 100 points, switch to a weak tanking team, fight, retreat, yield and then bam.

Granted, Red Rag works amazing with Wolverine's Green.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Wow, playing an event from the start with shields is crazy. I just shielded at 1064 points and there are like 36 hours left. I guess I'l let people catch up and then push to 1400 and shield to the end of the event? I wonder how far over 1400 people are going to fight now that 1400 is attainable.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

An in-depth write up of all the characters in game.

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1789

Bag Man gets no respect. Bag Man deserves no respect. gently caress you, Bag Man. :mad:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Karnegal posted:

Wow, playing an event from the start with shields is crazy. I just shielded at 1064 points and there are like 36 hours left. I guess I'l let people catch up and then push to 1400 and shield to the end of the event? I wonder how far over 1400 people are going to fight now that 1400 is attainable.

I got up to 800 last night and didn't shield up and am down to 400 already. Though I don't have a threatening team at all, just a 73 wolverine, 23 modern storm and the base IM 40 so I'm easy pickings for anyone who wants to take a swing at me.

How much are you dumping into shields on a regular basis? I'm not looking to put in much more than 100 hp for a tournament like this because I don't stand to make much more than that with a top 15 finish, and I'm not going to put money into this game for this purpose.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Lone Goat posted:

I got up to 800 last night and didn't shield up and am down to 400 already. Though I don't have a threatening team at all, just a 73 wolverine, 23 modern storm and the base IM 40 so I'm easy pickings for anyone who wants to take a swing at me.

How much are you dumping into shields on a regular basis? I'm not looking to put in much more than 100 hp for a tournament like this because I don't stand to make much more than that with a top 15 finish, and I'm not going to put money into this game for this purpose.

I'm willing to put up to the around of HC I get from an event into it. Breaking even is fine if I'm getting 3 and 4 star covers. In the last one, I spent 100 HC and took first for a total of 250 HC earned. In this one, I'm 50 HC in and 150 HC earned. If I can get to 1400 and spend 200 tonight, I'll probably be at 250 spent 250 earned since I can probably top 5 my bracket with that. I'm 400 points over everyone else at the moment. Apparently 6AM is the time to play.

EDIT: My team is 85 Wolverine/ 77 Spider-man / 68 IM 40

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 9, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Lone Goat posted:

The only logical reason for shielding at this time would be if a tournament has specific high-demand covers (say, Spidey Blue) that are obtainable without finishing first. Like, making a strong push for points in Double Shot on the last day and then burning 100 HP to stay in the top 15 and get a Spidey Blue and Yellow? That makes sense if you really need those covers and is by far the most cost-effective way of getting there. Now, others will be using the same strategy, so you can't drop a shield with 8 hours to ago and assume your rank will stay put; you may have to dive back in near the end and push for points again. But if you're capable of placing high, it makes sense even if you have to drop multiple shields. Would I have spent 200 HP (say, 300 and get 100 back) on a sure-thing Spidey Blue two months ago? drat right I would. I dropped 1250 on my last Blue because I had no other easy way of getting one.

Now, if you DON'T need the covers, there's no reason to shield. Then those Spideys are simply 25 HP each and the equation quickly goes negative for you.

I would not recommend shielding in Lightning Rounds unless (a) you need a Top 25 cover or MAYBE a Top 8 and (b) you have 450+ points and are happy with that finish. They're too volatile. My pre-shield rules of thumb for Lightnings was ~375 for Top 50 and a Diabolic token, 500+ to go for Top 8; now, who knows?

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

delfin posted:

The only logical reason for shielding at this time would be if a tournament has specific high-demand covers (say, Spidey Blue) that are obtainable without finishing first. Like, making a strong push for points in Double Shot on the last day and then burning 100 HP to stay in the top 15 and get a Spidey Blue and Yellow? That makes sense if you really need those covers and is by far the most cost-effective way of getting there. Now, others will be using the same strategy, so you can't drop a shield with 8 hours to ago and assume your rank will stay put; you may have to dive back in near the end and push for points again. But if you're capable of placing high, it makes sense even if you have to drop multiple shields. Would I have spent 200 HP (say, 300 and get 100 back) on a sure-thing Spidey Blue two months ago? drat right I would. I dropped 1250 on my last Blue because I had no other easy way of getting one.

Now, if you DON'T need the covers, there's no reason to shield. Then those Spideys are simply 25 HP each and the equation quickly goes negative for you.

I would not recommend shielding in Lightning Rounds unless (a) you need a Top 25 cover or MAYBE a Top 8 and (b) you have 450+ points and are happy with that finish. They're too volatile. My pre-shield rules of thumb for Lightnings was ~375 for Top 50 and a Diabolic token, 500+ to go for Top 8; now, who knows?

If you want high point rewards (I need Iron man 40 covers) shielding lets you leapfrog playtimes. I want to get to 1300 at least, but I only had time to play to 1050. I would have lost hundreds of points if I didn't shield

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah what you guys say makes sense, I just need to get to the point where I have spare hp. I'm nearly at the point where I don't need to spend any more on roster slots so shielding will be my next sink for them. I'm sitting below 300 hp so I need to be careful with them so I don't go broke if I miss a top 15, but 2-3 spidey slots is a really good investment for them.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah what you guys say makes sense, I just need to get to the point where I have spare hp. I'm nearly at the point where I don't need to spend any more on roster slots so shielding will be my next sink for them. I'm sitting below 300 hp so I need to be careful with them so I don't go broke if I miss a top 15, but 2-3 spidey slots is a really good investment for them.

Yeah, I threw $50 bucks at the game over the holiday so I've got like 7000 HC sitting around. I pretty much play the 100 HC lottery each day and then have a bunch left for whatever.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I, on the other hand, have spent zero so I feel your pain. At this point, my big guns are pretty much upgraded so I'm saving up what HPs I snag from events for new slots.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I would buy shields and do whatever it takes to get the covers of these 3 characters:

1. Spider-Man Classic
2. Ragnarok
3. Magneto

These guys are such a good investment and absolutely worth it. Everyone else, no. But that's just me.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
What's the deal with the change to the SHIELD daily resupply? I thought you were supposed to be able to claim it after completing the first match of each day, but mine's been "stuck" for the past two days despite playing quite a bit.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Welp, now not only do I still not have lightning rounds available, but all my characters are dead with a 12 hour revive time and I have no medpacks. This is getting ridiculous.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Mr. Met posted:

What's the deal with the change to the SHIELD daily resupply? I thought you were supposed to be able to claim it after completing the first match of each day, but mine's been "stuck" for the past two days despite playing quite a bit.

Yeah I think they're glitched out... I had a few resupplies yesterday, nothing today.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
y2k14 bug?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I assume if you miss a day the resupply resets? Or is it just days played?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Bruceski posted:

I assume if you miss a day the resupply resets? Or is it just days played?

Days played.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
IMO with these 2 day tourneys like Double Shot, its still the best to just wait a day and get in the slacker tier. I started this morning, a day later, have about 250 pts, and am currently in 60th place. Top dude has about 450 last time I checked. I put on a 8 hr shield and will wait until tonight where I will get really cooking and hopefully score some more spidey covers.

Peechka fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 9, 2014

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Ugh, I was in the middle of the match that would have put me over 1400 and the game stopped working. I just get an endless connecting circle when I try to log in.

EDIT: Got back in and fought a team of Bag man, low level classic hawkeye and the level 15 generic Iron Man. I guess the guy hit 1400 and then decided to give away points. I got to 1401 and shielded, I'll probably need to buy another 3 hour lock at the end of the event, so I'll be -50 HC for the event. However, I should lock down my last Spiderman purple cover. I guess, it'll get my second spiderman to 3/3/0 too. Now that I got 5 blue on the first one, I'm drowning in covers. Figured I might as well make a 5/5/3 as opposed to trashing the covers.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 9, 2014

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Yeah me too, game is going off and on a lot right now for some reason, thought it was just me. New patch maybe?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Augh. I actually hit a limit on how many skips I could use, or something, and now I have no valid opponents in Double Shot and it's all locked out. I thought that judiciously picking my opponents could net me in the top 10, but apparently, I have to fight somebody's level 80 Wolverine or whatever.

EDIT
Also dude has Hawkeye in the Bottom 4, which is just dumb. Take Aim is disgusting and turns matches.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 9, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm pretty sure that's a bug/spam detector. I got it a lot during the tournament when we first got Original Widow, but haven't run into it recently despite having to skip a dozen or more times to get anybody with more points than me. I found just going into the Prologue and beating up some level 2 goons would reset it.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Veryslightlymad posted:

Augh. I actually hit a limit on how many skips I could use, or something, and now I have no valid opponents in Double Shot and it's all locked out. I thought that judiciously picking my opponents could net me in the top 10, but apparently, I have to fight somebody's level 80 Wolverine or whatever.

That's just issues with the app communicating with their server and not being able to pull new matches.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Oh, good. I was consistently getting into the top 10 all day, and if I had to go a full 28 hours or whatever's left without being able to fight, I wouldn't get -anything-. That'd be a huge let down.

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!
They just did a quick patch or something and nerfed our precious, precious Ragnorak. His ability now costs 6 red when at level 5. Boo!

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
I play this tourney with a 57 5/4/4 Wolverine and a 67 5/4/4 thor and of course a Lv35 3/2/2 IM40 and with using the boosts There has been very few teams I cant beat with one round. The only time I lose a round is when the board is lovely and/or the AI has a lucky round with cascades up the rear end. Of course I forgo the teams that are too much trouble. The ones that can run the board over and over. In fact I ran into a hulk that was ridiculous. I think he was like lv 50 something, but he had enough black covers to basically spawn 3 or 4 of those black rage tiles which spawn like 5 green tiles each. So each time I would hit him for a good amount, he would go on a thunderclap rampage because of all the greens he was spawning. I think this will be another one of those OP toons like ragnarock which can consistently just go on a spree over and over, but the hulk actually can do some damage, and a ton of HP to eat through.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rod Flanders posted:

They just did a quick patch or something and nerfed our precious, precious Ragnorak. His ability now costs 6 red when at level 5. Boo!

Glad I didn't buy that fourth level of his red power with HP today then! I think Ragnorak needed to be dealt with in some way but this seems like it might be a tad excessive.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rod Flanders posted:

Did they add 4 points to it at every level, or is it some "added effect, costs 6AP" as the 5th point?

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

My hobbies include being quiet on long trips, clapping along with songs, and diabetes!

rabidsquid posted:

Glad I didn't buy that fourth level of his red power with HP today then! I think Ragnorak needed to be dealt with in some way but this seems like it might be a tad excessive.

You also only create 4 green tiles instead of 5 now.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

I wish they'd remove the cost reduction from any ability that has reduced cost on levelup, it would go a long way towards breaking the thor/wolverine/spidey/rag mix and match teams. The original IM35 had cost reduction on his powers that made him better than the two stars on release to the point where I didn't switch to Thor until IM35 lost his cost reduction.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Rod Flanders posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope Spiderman is OK. My rag is only 2/0 so I don't really care about that, and it will make my play a lot more fun vs rag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Flanders
Dec 30, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Did they add 4 points to it at every level, or is it some "added effect, costs 6AP" as the 5th point?

That I'm not sure of. I've had mine at level 5 for a bit now and there is nothing on the forums as of a few minutes ago. I was literally trying to join a battle and kept having connection problems. Reset the app and let it sit for a min, logged back in, saw the game do an update and then went right into battle and saw the change there.