Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

Yes well, Brits.

I'm a Brit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm a Brit.

So you know what I'm talking about!

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

He does yeah.

However, I really don't know why people still use series in that sense. Season makes way more loving sense.

Eh, I guess it's a 'series of episodes' but then, 1. so is any arbitrary number of episodes, including all of them and 2. what do British people call American 'series' anyway? Just 'shows'?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

showbiz_liz posted:

Eh, I guess it's a 'series of episodes' but then, 1. so is any arbitrary number of episodes, including all of them and 2. what do British people call American 'series' anyway? Just 'shows'?

Programmes, I think.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

Programmes, I think.

Show or Series. No one really uses program these days.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

He does yeah.

However, I really don't know why people still use series in that sense. Season makes way more loving sense.

Even in America the word series is used in that sense when referring to sports.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Even in America the word series is used in that sense when referring to sports.

...what sense?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Playoff series, championship series, World Series.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I'd say those are akin to "miniseries," which actually works quite nicely. Full seasons of sports are still seasons.

edit: look, Americans should just switch to metric while Brits switch to using series/seasons properly, and we can all be happy

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 8, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DirtyRobot posted:

Those are akin to "miniseries." Full seasons of sports are still seasons.

edit: look, Americans should just switch to metric and Brits then switch to using series/seasons properly, and we can all be happy

We are never going to change to the metric system due to this man and his group

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Season" makes sense if it's around 13 episodes, ie about as long as one actual season. When American shows get to be 20+ episodes long it makes no more sense to call it a season than a series or block or set or whatever.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

"Season" makes sense if it's around 13 episodes, ie about as long as one actual season. When American shows get to be 20+ episodes long it makes no more sense to call it a season than a series or block or set or whatever.

The US Television season is 8 months long, though. September through May. It doesn't have anything to do with the 4 seasons of the year.

That's like saying that "duck hunting season" or "the Christmas season" or "seasonal fruit" can only use that word if they last around the same time as an "actual season".

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 8, 2014

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gup posted:

Well, here we go!

I like it!

Every time I see this pic I get so unreasonably ecstatic over Capaldi as the Doctor. This is gonna be great! :allears:

I also love it when a new Doctor runs around in his predecessor's costume. It's so weird but cool.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Brigadier Sockface posted:

That doesn't count because the clothes regenerated as well that time.

Sure, but Troughton's costume is supposed to be a ragged and disheveled version of Hartnell's, just as his Doctor is a ragged and disheveled version of Hartnell's (note that this isn't a complaint, I love Pat Troughton).

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Edit: Wrong thread

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Forktoss posted:

The word is it's going to be a 12-episode run, possibly counting the Christmas special and having that as the series finale. Some people say this is because Who is produced/sold abroad in 14-episode blocks (13 episodes per series and a Christmas special) and that the 2013 specials took a spot each, but I'm not sure if that holds water.

Current fan dreams egged on by possible rumored spoiler provider hints may lean towards a release of an Easter special in a few months. One thing which has helped fuel that speculation is that they're apparently filming episode 1 first, when they usually shoot things out of order.

Would be fantastic to get that, then get the remaining 11/12 + Christmas special later this year.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
It'd be even more fantastic for them to revert to a sane loving schedule.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Coq au Nandos posted:

Yeah, as much as I want to see Capaldi as the Doctor as soon as possible I really, really don't want to get a single episode for Easter and then another several month wait. Just release his whole loving season like a proper season, Moff. It's not that hard. Lots of people do it, promise.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Yeah, as much as I want to see Capaldi as the Doctor as soon as possible I really, really don't want to get a single episode for Easter and then another several month wait. Just release his whole loving season like a proper season, Moff. It's not that hard. Lots of people do it, promise.

Okay, but how about this: we introduce Capaldi as a dark and temperamental guy who chokes Clara after mistaking her for a villain based purely on the coincidence of her name in an old poem, dresses up in a garish costume despite her protests, and decides to become a hermit. Clara will, of course, fall madly in love with him as a result. He will bluster his way through the rather perfunctory and badly acted episode, insisting that as an alien his cultural values are different, and so she shouldn't judge him. His last lines in the script will be "No matter what else happens, I am the Doctor... whether you like it or not!"

We then break for a long time and hope that viewers tune back in to see more!

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spoilers Below posted:

Okay, but how about this: we introduce Capaldi as a dark and temperamental guy who chokes Clara after mistaking her for a villain based purely on the coincidence of her name in an old poem, dresses up in a garish costume despite her protests, and decides to become a hermit. Clara will, of course, fall madly in love with him as a result. He will bluster his way through the rather perfunctory and badly acted episode, insisting that as an alien his cultural values are different, and so she shouldn't judge him. His last lines in the script will be "No matter what else happens, I am the Doctor... whether you like it or not!"

We then break for a long time and hope that viewers tune back in to see more!

I'd be fine with that, but Capaldi deserves better.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Where did the Easter special rumor originate? Looking around for it, I saw some 'spoilers' written by someone who says a McGann/Capaldi multi Doctor 2 part episode is coming too.

Which is hilarious because Moffat would never do a two parter!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harlock posted:

Where did the Easter special rumor originate? Looking around for it, I saw some 'spoilers' written by someone who says a McGann/Capaldi multi Doctor 2 part episode is coming too.

Which is hilarious because Moffat would never do a two parter!

Even if that's complete bullshit the idea that someone somewhere might maybe possibly turn that idea into an actual episode makes me kind of giddy in a totally stupid way.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Ideally they'd do a Time War era special with McGann/Hurt battling against Derek Jacobi.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gorn Myson posted:

Ideally they'd do a Time War era special with McGann/Hurt battling against Derek Jacobi.

I think we just found the premise for the Hollywood Doctor Who movie.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/uninterrupted-runs-for-series-8-and-beyond-57748.htm

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Moffat lies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Reminder-

Moffat posted:

The split series is hugely exciting because viewers will be treated to two premieres, two finales and more event episodes. For the kids it will never be more than a few months to the next Doctor Who! Easter, Autumn, Christmas!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

In retrospect it's incredibly obvious that budget problems where the reason for the split. Thank God it's over.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

"For the kids."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That ... well, that wasn't inaccurate. The Bells of St. John aired at the end of March, The Day of the Doctor was in Autumn, and The Time of the Doctor was at Christmas.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Timby posted:

That ... well, that wasn't inaccurate. The Bells of St. John aired at the end of March, The Day of the Doctor was in Autumn, and The Time of the Doctor was at Christmas.

For series 6, sure. Not so much for series 7... Plus 'more event episodes' didn't work out too well.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Coq au Nandos posted:

Grand Moff Steven posted:

OK

I also want a Paul McGann two doctors episode and a Silence companion.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Coq au Nandos posted:

Goddammit, now you got me wanting an episode where a Silent befriends the Doctor and saves the day followed by an emotional farewell, Murray Gold, "You will be remembered", and then the Doctor turns away and forgets the entire thing.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Coq au Nandos posted:

I want a spin-off show where a Silent and an Ood share an apartment. The Silent is loutish and slovenly, the Ood is an OCD cleaner, but despite that, they weather life's little trials and tribulations and become great friends.

I had a great name for this show, but I just forgot it. Funny, that...

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
The Ood Couple.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Walrus posted:

The Ood Couple.

RTD if you're reading this, take note.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

HD DAD posted:

Goddammit, now you got me wanting an episode where a Silent befriends the Doctor and saves the day followed by an emotional farewell, Murray Gold, "You will be remembered", and then the Doctor turns away and forgets the entire thing.

You will love him ON SIGHT.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'm in the middle of some pretty stressful poo poo right now, but you lot are making me laugh out loud. So thanks for that.

EDIT - VVVVVV Stop, you're killing me

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

pgroce posted:

I want a spin-off show where a Silent and an Ood share an apartment. The Silent is loutish and slovenly, the Ood is an OCD cleaner, but despite that, they weather life's little trials and tribulations and become great friends.

I had a great name for this show, but I just forgot it. Funny, that...

Only if Davros is their landlord.

• Locked thread