Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Rarity posted:

Cooking shows and Jo Whiley? Thought this thread was for discussing fine British television like Are You Being Served? and Coming of Age. Go on, on yer bike the lot of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqG41gfrzQ

What the gently caress is up with his hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taff posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOqG41gfrzQ

Looks like a badger shat in it imo

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Taff posted:

It's styled dear, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like Lauren Laverne. She's not stungingly witty or anything, but the bit with her sexually harassing Brooker was brilliant.
And given she originally made her name in the band Kenickie, she can at least claim as a music DJ to have sort of walked the walk first.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

Are you STILL being served?

Coming Soon. I guarantee it.

Speaking of which, I assume the new Open All Hours over Christmas was poo poo? I completely forgot that existed until just now (not that I particularly wanted to watch it)

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pablo Bluth posted:

And given she originally made her name in the band Kenickie, she can at least claim as a music DJ to have sort of walked the walk first.

Huh never knew that

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The Beeb have done a cracking job with Stargazing Live this year. Tonight's line-up has been spot on in being informative and entertaining, and not getting side-tracked.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Did anyone watch BBC2's The Hidden World of Britain's Immigrants? It seemed to be a prog which followed around the most destitute people imaginable: heroin addicts with arms so scabbed they look like tree-bark; homeless people who cry with joy upon receiving a single room in a shared house; perpetually comatose alcoholics trying to deal with the bureaucracy of the Foreign Office, and asks them the question "why don't you gently caress off home?"
I say "seemed" because I only watched 15 minutes coming off Midsomer Murders (now with the occasional black person!). On a related note, Father Brown's back on, no black people spotted yet.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 8, 2014

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The immigrant with the scabby arms had psoriasis. One of those featured (all of whom were illegals) had told officials numerous times he was desperate to leave the country, partly because he was homeless and partly because his Indian Army pension would run out and his family in India relied on it. For some reason they wouldn't put him on a plane.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Planes, paperwork and court proceedings cost money. Cheaper to let him live on the streets.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Answers Me posted:

Speaking of which, I assume the new Open All Hours over Christmas was poo poo? I completely forgot that existed until just now (not that I particularly wanted to watch it)

It was very similar to the syle of the old series with none of the charm

WonderfulWino
Sep 26, 2004

The grape wont cut me loose.

Answers Me posted:

It wasn't terrible, I liked it. I sure hope they don't make more.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Eboracum posted:

Nah she's a terrible human being and this is from someone who watched her get her first job on Diggit.

I remember this, sitting hungover as hell at the tender age of 17 watching her and that idiot bloke whose name escapes me. I had two thoughts "Wow, she's pretty" and "she's possibly the worst presenter on this show, and considering the guy with her is awful, that's something"

Pablo Bluth posted:

but they weren't all that good. 'Punka' was okay, I guess

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

but they weren't all that good. 'Punka' was okay, I guess
Hence my inclusion of the qualifier 'sort of'.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like Lauren Laverne. She's not stungingly witty or anything, but the bit with her sexually harassing Brooker was brilliant.

Her show on 6music is good plus she was in kenickie. Thursday night live or whatever it was called was a loving abortion though is that still even going?

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I remember this, sitting hungover as hell at the tender age of 17 watching her and that idiot bloke whose name escapes me. I had two thoughts "Wow, she's pretty" and "she's possibly the worst presenter on this show, and considering the guy with her is awful, that's something"

I think I was 12 and I had a nice big crush on her until I got older and realised she's incredibly irritating and not that attractive.

It's crazy though that she won a competition to be a presenter for a bit on a lovely kids tv programme and managed to make a successful career out of it.

The other guy was called Des by the way.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
Fearne then went on to date Ian "MEGA LOLZ!!!" watkins.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Ponce de Le0n posted:

Is this true. Because MEGA LOLZ if it is

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

SuperHunBastard1690 posted:

Is this true. Because MEGA LOLZ if it is

It is true.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Ponce de Le0n posted:

PriorMarcus posted:

I think he was implying Fearne Cotton is a nonce.

Huh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Eboracum posted:

I think I was 12 and I had a nice big crush on her until I got older and realised she's incredibly irritating and not that attractive.

Not really related to UK TV but it's amazing how mature and grown up you are now and this is just the latest example of it.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Answers Me posted:

It was very poo poo.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

Pissflaps posted:

Not really related to UK TV but it's amazing how mature and grown up you are now and this is just the latest example of it.

My reply is going to be unrelated to UK TV too, but thank you Pissflaps. Hopefully I can avoid a third permaban.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Answers Me posted:

It was alright. David Jason did a great Ronnie Barker, writing was ok. Fun'ish. I propose this thread now use a new standard of mesurement:
Better Than Eastenders
definition - It isnt tedious, endless drivel and has a sort of charm that makes it just about watchable.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Seaside Loafer posted:

It was alright. David Jason did a great Ronnie Barker, writing was ok. Fun'ish. I propose this thread now use a new standard of mesurement:
Better Than Eastenders
definition - It isnt tedious, endless drivel and has a sort of charm that makes it just about watchable.

Haha look at this dope that doesn't remember Phil Mitchell Crack Addict/Ian Beale Homeless Man.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Seaside Loafer posted:

Better Than Eastenders

The highest compliment of which any Brit is capable.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

I know it's mainly fluff but Stargazing Live is really loving good guys.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

VogeGandire posted:

Haha look at this dope that doesn't remember Phil Mitchell Crack Addict/Ian Beale Homeless Man.
Ah my friend, you must be a youngin because you missed out on Phil Mitchell alcoholic where for a full week his every 1 scene in each episode consisted of him on a sofa for 10 seconds and going 'eerrgggghhhh' and sweating even more than normal.

The acting range of Steve McFadden is truley amazing.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 9, 2014

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox work really well together, don't they? It's a nice show, and I always enjoy getting to see the Aurora Borealis, even if it is just on the telly.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm not sure if I want to be Brian Cox or be with him, not fussy.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Irisi posted:

Dara O'Briain and Brian Cox work really well together, don't they? It's a nice show, and I always enjoy getting to see the Aurora Borealis, even if it is just on the telly.

God yeah, they make an awesome team. I genuinely enjoy their enthusiasm and it never feels forced.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Is there any particular reason that the show is split up? The credits roll, there's a little break...and then back to the studio for a 'different' programme. I know the thing on after the main show is a little different but it still seems like an odd quirk.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

God yeah, they make an awesome team. I genuinely enjoy their enthusiasm and it never feels forced.
They should seriously throw Robin Ince off the "Infinite Monkey Cage" and replace him with Dara.

Also, how tall is Phil Mitchell? I remember when he had a scene with Danny Dyer in the Christmas episode, and he looked like he was about 5 foot tall when stood next to him.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
A certain Robin Ince gets very annoyed when you mention Dara and Brian doing TV together. He's pitched similar shows for years off the back of his radio stuff with him and got a no every time and then Science Club arrived.

But the shows are great.

Also this was just announced today. Channel 4 space season including live shows from the ISS: http://t.co/Jgs1KVBeNq

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

thehustler posted:

A certain Robin Ince gets very annoyed when you mention Dara and Brian doing TV together. He's pitched similar shows for years off the back of his radio stuff with him and got a no every time and then Science Club arrived.

But the shows are great.

Also this was just announced today. Channel 4 space season including live shows from the ISS: http://t.co/Jgs1KVBeNq

Dara has such an amazingly bubbly personality though; he clearly takes the show seriously but with an appropriate amount of wonder and glee that transfers into the audience; I doubt Ince could bring that same energy.

And yeah, the Channel 4 show sounds cool, but their choice of presenters really illustrates how little face talent they have. I guess that's what you get being a void of good content for 90% of the year.

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

I'd run up Philomena Cunk's middle bits.

the_cow_fan
May 12, 2008
Screenwipe needs more of Brookers rantings, less lovely character sketch things.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
They should do some Moments Of Wonder shorts like in a Look Around You kind of way

It really was wonderful.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I thought it was pretty good.

I enjoyed Limmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devol_Tettran
Sep 3, 2011

Clever Betty
Having just got back in (and missing Weekly Wipe), Channel 4 presents me with "What Happens in Sunny Beach" where apparently a chap called Nipsy has somehow ripped his arsehole open.

What a name/content combo.

E. With a firework. What a superstar.

Devol_Tettran fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 9, 2014