Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

i personally thing the cream on gold looks super lovely but ymmv, it's a classic look (that i personally hate but i also hate black strats with white pickguards and i also hate nonreverse firebirds so maybe i'm broken)

Agreed on the cream/gold sentiment. I replaced the cream pickup rings/pickguard/knobs on my goldtop with black ones and it looks much better.

Black Strats with white pickguards always looked boring as hell to me - it's the most generic color combo on what a lot of people consider the most generic guitar. Ironically my Strat is black despite holding that opinion, but it has a maple neck and a 3 play black pickguard like this guy's basses:

Bill Posters posted:

But seriously 3ply black on black with maple is a great colour combination on Fender guitars and basses and is basically the only option that makes Music Man basses look tolerable. Pity it doesn't make them sound any better.

It's gotta be three ply black/white/black though. Without the white pinstripe it just looks weird.

Don't know what the deal with that combo is but it left an impression on me and I knew I was going to buy it the moment I saw it on the sales floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
There is something really depressing about seeing a really well built, disgusting guitar;

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Oh yeah, there's a tool supplier called grizzly here in the states and the president builds guitars.
That's pretty cool because they also sell tone woods and hardware.
The guitars he builds are some of the gaudiest things because he needs to show off I guess.

man thats gross
Sep 4, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Oh yeah, there's a tool supplier called grizzly here in the states and the president builds guitars.
The guitars he builds are some of the gaudiest things because he needs to show off I guess.

ahahaha holy lollershite

http://www.grizzly.com/the-presidents-guitars

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

You aren't lying.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

White Dog Eggs posted:

There is something really depressing about seeing a really well built, disgusting guitar;

Not to mention the wood pattern looks like fingers which makes this guitar look like goatse. Guitoatse?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Thumposaurus posted:

Grizzly used to make kits

They were the best kits

And now they don't

LudwigVon Lugnuts
May 15, 2005

When the hell did I put Greenman on?!!

Hey mclast post some info about that Fender acoustic. I've never see one like it before. Would like to know wood/finish, age, cost, etc.

oh yeah, and the tone. Would you say it has at least 2.5 Faustuses?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

Grizzly used to make kits

They were the best kits

And now they don't

They still have them listed on the website/in the big rear end catalog.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
for sure that's a Tim Armstrong Hellcat deluxe, solid mahogany top laminate mahogany back and sides. i'm not a big fan of fender acoustics generally but i like this one. no cutaway on an acoustic electric, and that's a magnetic pickup so it still sounds acoustic plugged in but there's less feedback and distorted it sounds halfway decent. $450 with hardcase included

there's three common wood configurations to acoustics, spruce top mahogany back and sides is most common, which has a punchy midrange (lots of G and B strings in the tone, spruce top with rosewood next which has fuller lows and sweeter highs, expensive ones can get a really cool boom if you hit it right, and this one mahogany top with mahogany back and sides has a more even response, kind of a smoky, mellow flavour to the tone. it's great for vocal accompaniment

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Thumposaurus posted:

They still have them listed on the website/in the big rear end catalog.

and i thought guitarfetish overcharged for artec stuff

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
Back to ugly-guitar chat, I'm drawing up a plan for the template at the moment. I won't spoil it by posting it yet, but I just want you to know that this is making me feel very dirty

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

White Dog Eggs posted:

Now with Bat-a-rang brand bridge. Sounds great and can save your life in an emergency.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

comes along bort posted:

and i thought guitarfetish overcharged for artec stuff

the *sigh* wood is good, i don't like that they make you drill your own holes for tuners but them's the breaks

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

comes along bort posted:

i will never get tired of the henry kaiser dumble vid

purely because alex dumble's stupid attitude about who he'll sell to yet he's totally buds with kaiser, and how utterly mad it makes the kind of dipshit willing to spend 50k+ on an amp

pretty sure that video is responsible for at least several bluesdads having strokes

oh god it's so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76nU5Ghq5Wo

GOD I remember one of the first things I did when I joined SA was getting into a fight in ML with some dumb goon defending Henry Kaiser.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I don't know if Henry Kaiser can actually play or not but he sounds like one of those guys who just refuses to try to put time in and learn to develop technique with his instrument, so instead he just demands to be taken as seriously as anybody else, so he brute forces around the no-talent thing by adopting a lame, hilariously pretentious beatnik style of presentation to try and cover the fact that he is the guitar equivalent of a toddler banging on pots and pans.

edit: found another guntar

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

GOD I remember one of the first things I did when I joined SA was getting into a fight in ML with some dumb goon defending Henry Kaiser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5kh-_cGVdQ

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax
pro watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEAjPaxpVOw

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

GreatGreen posted:

I don't know if Henry Kaiser can actually play or not but he sounds like one of those guys who just refuses to try to put time in and learn to develop technique with his instrument, so instead he just demands to be taken as seriously as anybody else, so he brute forces around the no-talent thing by adopting a lame, hilariously pretentious beatnik style of presentation to try and cover the fact that he is the guitar equivalent of a toddler banging on pots and pans.

I would also add that I have never heard him play anything that has ever made me think he has even a basic grasp of functional harmony and probably couldn't play over I, IV,ii,V if his life depended on it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

He's totally right btw

a retard
Jan 7, 2013

by Lowtax

HollisBrown posted:

He's totally right btw

exactly. the most important things in sounding good are (in descending order) skill/technique, amp, and pickup

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

He's totally right btw

he is, and guess what, there are people who disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxE8iDWD_w (skip to about 4:30 for the playing)

the only reason to choose any wood is because of how it looks, or because you're building an acoustic guitar

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

a retard posted:

exactly. the most important things in sounding good are (in descending order) skill/technique, amp, and pickup

this is true, but i disagree that all the other stuff doesn't matter at all. i work in a store, and A/B stuff all the time, and different guitars from the same line can sound very different even before you get into ash vs alder, maple vs rosewood fretboard, all sorts of different things. i actually dislike block inlays because i do think it affects.... something.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

he is, and guess what, there are people who disagree

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLxE8iDWD_w (skip to about 4:30 for the playing)

the only reason to choose any wood is because of how it looks, or because you're building an acoustic guitar

:lol: that video is so loving stupid. Idiots like that are proof positive that our culture has completely forgotten how science works.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

:lol: that video is so loving stupid. Idiots like that are proof positive that our culture has completely forgotten how science works.

"here's me playing this"
"and here's me playing this"
*guitars sound identical*
"and it's so obviously different!"

(any perceptible differences are probably due to picking hand attack and subtle variations in intonation caused by Rob Chapman being supershredder and that other guy being a bluesdad)

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Some people simply cannot accept that their favorite guitar could be made out of 2x4s from home depot and it would make dick all difference to the sound.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
1000 dollars for an instrument is nothing and guitars are the least expensive instruments really and anyone who thinks that people like Satriani and Vai weren't playing high quality instruments when learning guitar are dumb because they were raised in an affluent area and both attended private colleges for music. Not exactly soulful blues players is all I'm saying.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Ampppps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Custom-Shop-Mark-V-1x12-Private-Reserve-Quilt-/321273058774?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4acd5dd5d6

http://en.audiofanzine.com/guitar-combo-amplifier/fender/Blues-Junior-Sunburst/medias/pictures/a.play,m.21736.html

http://reverb.com/item/23215-fender-limited-edition-hot-rod-deluxe-sunburst

saturated fart
Dec 26, 2012
There was a scientific study made in Brazil where they built 9 guitars which were identical except for their bodies and it showed no significant difference between them.

It was as funny to see how guitarists react to it as you'd expect.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Salt Fish posted:

1000 dollars for an instrument is nothing and guitars are the least expensive instruments really and anyone who thinks that people like Satriani and Vai weren't playing high quality instruments when learning guitar are dumb because they were raised in an affluent area and both attended private colleges for music. Not exactly soulful blues players is all I'm saying.

1000 for a guitar given the R&D (ha), materials, and labor costs is fine but get past that and you're reaching the point of diminishing returns

If you're paying more than 1k for a guitar that wasn't handmade then you've been ripped off

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mclast posted:

this is true, but i disagree that all the other stuff doesn't matter at all. i work in a store, and A/B stuff all the time, and different guitars from the same line can sound very different even before you get into ash vs alder, maple vs rosewood fretboard, all sorts of different things. i actually dislike block inlays because i do think it affects.... something.

more likely than anything else it's differences in pickup inductance/output which varies even with mass-produced pickups

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Are we posting our own guitars now? I don't know if mine are ugly, I always thought they were pretty plain.

I used to have a cheapo Harmony Strat clone that had Sharpie doodles all over the pickguard and stickers all over the body, and a bright pink knockoff Explorer-looking thing. I don't guitar much anymore.

I kind of miss that pink one. It was absolutely horrible.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

This is my ugliest one by far

I also have a pretty ugly acoustic

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

There are so, so many factors that can effect a guitars sound, quality of wiring, variance in pots (the varience in cheap pots is insane, I've had 500ks register as anything from 430 to nearly 600, this is on 'good brands' too).. The main thing is the neck pocket though, if you can fit a cigarette paper in any part of the neck, it needs a shim, if you take the neck out the pocket and see any router marks, shim them. Any finish in the neck pocket? Get rid of it (anything between neck and pocket is bad and will effect sustain). If you can take all the screws out of the neck and the neck supports the weight of the body on it's own, then you are all sorted.

Thumposaurus posted:

I've seen these finishes before! If I remember they injected dye right into the trees a few weeks before they cut them down or something crazy like that.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Fender used to use it for coranados and others they called it wild wood.
This one is a Kay that I picked up at a goodwill store for $20.
It's the only one I've ever seen like it.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that makes a lot of sense. my go-to story is that 60th anniversary telecaster, stock USA standard except for the laquer finish.. but i'd bet the QC was loads better besides

thumpo both of those are awesome ugly. kilhamster sorry but uncentered fretmarkers are ugly ugly

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Thumposaurus posted:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Thumposaurus posted:

This guitar is its own anguished ghost.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

White Dog Eggs posted:

I've seen these finishes before! If I remember they injected dye right into the trees a few weeks before they cut them down or something crazy like that.

That's a hell of a lot of work for something that ends up looking similar to the laminated wood stock on Bubba's huntin' rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Scrutinizer posted:

There was a scientific study made in Brazil where they built 9 guitars which were identical except for their bodies and it showed no significant difference between them.

It was as funny to see how guitarists react to it as you'd expect.

Do you have a link by any chance?

• Locked thread