Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So how do I install mods in Dom4? I don't remember it being tricky in Dom3, but I created a 'mods' folder in the main game directory and have my mod nation data in there but when I open the game and click on Mods on the main menu nothing shows up.

e: Thank you kindly!

How are u fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

How are u posted:

So how do I install mods in Dom4? I don't remember it being tricky in Dom3, but I created a 'mods' folder in the main game directory and have my mod nation data in there but when I open the game and click on Mods on the main menu nothing shows up.

Open the game, go to 'Game Tools' and click 'Open User Data Directory'. Mods will be placed in the mods folder of the window it opens. The .dm file must be in that mods folder, not in another folder inside the mods folder. Once that is done, just enable them in the game menu and disable them when you are no longer playing a turn for that mod.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

GenericOverusedName posted:

You should do a w9 bless on a red dragon for acid rain spam!

(I want to see somebody actually do this)

It's an order of magnitude cheaper to add fire magic to a W9 blue dragon.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
MA Man can do fine with Drain as well. Their monks are also unaffected, and they can easily run Const2 for Owl Quills.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

TheDemon posted:

And kind of more thematically appropriate.

It's win-win.

I forget, does a pretender have to bless itself to get the benefit, or is it inherent?

I want my fountain of blood to be a viable SC.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

E. Nesbit posted:

MA Man can do fine with Drain as well. Their monks are also unaffected, and they can easily run Const2 for Owl Quills.
Monks are just terrible for research when you can get pretty cheap Daughters of Avalon who have very little upkeep, much stronger research output, and can defend themselves; treat Monks as scouts which can stealth preach and lead ten men, and you won't go far wrong.

I'm playing MA Man in an MP game at the moment, went with an awake Dom 7 Tiwaz of War, F4A4E4, scales O3P1H0G1M2D1. Those paths let you forge Fire and Air boosters, cast a whole bunch of battle magic you want (Flaming Arrows is the big one - with a Flame Helmet and Phoenix Fire at Conj-3, any F1E1 Logrian Wise Men you get can cast it on turn 2 and hugely improve the amount of damage your Longbowmen do). Scales mean you're not going to be poor, and can augment your starting party with 13 longbowmen and a Mother of Avalon on turn one for some decent expansion. Misfortune-2 is sometimes annoying, but I'd take the reliable extra gold any day. I keep all my gems I'm not holding for monthly forging and rituals on my mages, so I haven't lost many over the course of like five and a half years of game time.

As to spearmen versus axemen, I go with Spearmen as chaff out of habit (axes are terrible always, their weapon length is too short to be useful against other national troops). Longspears are slower and worse in combat but have a higher weapon length, not tested them out too much, but they might be better than Spearmen, I dunno. In truth, most of your recruitment is going to be Longbowmen.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 10, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

And kind of more thematically appropriate.

It's win-win.

I forget, does a pretender have to bless itself to get the benefit, or is it inherent?

I want my fountain of blood to be a viable SC.

Pretenders never get their own bless benefits.

Disciples automatically get their pretender's bless benefit.

So no, you'll never have a Fountain of Blood SC.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
Anyone have some words on how make Attack Rear blobs more effective? I was playing as Caelum and sometimes it seemed like units set to hold and attack rear would go after mages and other juicy targets, while other times they would just get stuck on infantry. I also seem to run into similar issues with cavalry flankers, sometimes they bypass enemy formations and home in on casters, but other times they seem to aggro onto infantry even when they had room to sweep around them.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

TheDemon posted:

So no, you'll never have a Fountain of Blood SC.

Can you wish for one and then make it a prophet?

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

jBrereton posted:

Monks are just terrible for research when you can get pretty cheap Daughters of Avalon who have very little upkeep, much stronger research output, and can defend themselves; treat Monks as scouts which can stealth preach and lead ten men, and you won't go far wrong.

You can recruit a monk from any province with a temple. Spam temples, recruit 5 or so per turn, and get more Mothers who are not completely useless in combat.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

Can you wish for one and then make it a prophet?

I'm pretty certain this would work, but I haven't tested it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

E. Nesbit posted:

You can recruit a monk from any province with a temple. Spam temples, recruit 5 or so per turn, and get more Mothers who are not completely useless in combat.
This is much less good and plausible than you think it'd be. You need to have a really high Air income to make all of those Quills (even with a Dwarven Hammer, you're looking at 3 gems per turn per quill, not exactly cheap when you have about a million other uses for them on the strategic map and battlefield), and I'd rather not put them on Monks if there is another alternative which isn't that much costlier, but is a lot safer.

Daughters of Avalon are at the very least capable of self-defence with a gem. Bam, Swarm cast, assassination/failed seduction attempt almost certainly fails. N2 ones can follow that up with whatever variation of vine arrows you have going, too. Monks, you can pretty much kiss your quill goodbye unless you start mass-producing those 5-gem Acorn things.

Monks you use to keep tabs on every single province on the entire map, preaching if PD is less than "very strong and well organised", because it's important to know what's going on. To do that, you're going to need dozens of them.

You're unlikely to have big problems getting enough Mothers of Avalon, they're not super costly, and Man can expand pretty well thanks to Longbowmen.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lprsti99 posted:

I don't think you ever really want to take off paths with dragons. Also, which age? I think MA has wardens of Avalon, which I believe are pretty solid sacreds.

I did a LA game with a Tiwaz God of War dormant and good scales. I researched to get wind guide up (since most magisters can do Wind Guide by themselves) and when my Pretender woke I got flaming arrows next. The masses of arrows slaughtered my enemies; my big mistake was going into Agartha cave territory. I had to shackle my pretender to my main army while doing a holding action against the other nations. Man also has cool events where they can get MA man units if you follow specific instructions, so those are always worthwhile.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

TheresNoThyme posted:

Anyone have some words on how make Attack Rear blobs more effective? I was playing as Caelum and sometimes it seemed like units set to hold and attack rear would go after mages and other juicy targets, while other times they would just get stuck on infantry. I also seem to run into similar issues with cavalry flankers, sometimes they bypass enemy formations and home in on casters, but other times they seem to aggro onto infantry even when they had room to sweep around them.

It requires a morale check to fly past enemy units so Inspirational leaders and sermons of courage should help a little bit but I doubt it will ever be reliable in a large battle with normal morale units.

Korwin
Jan 24, 2011

Decrepus posted:

It requires a morale check to fly past enemy units so Inspirational leaders and sermons of courage should help a little bit but I doubt it will ever be reliable in a large battle with normal morale units.

If this where true, undead flying troops (or Commanders) would allways reach the back with attack rear orders.
Since they do not reach allways the back...

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Is there a way to look up enemy unit stats outside of battle ingame or do I have to use the wiki/bestianary for that?

(Also posting to prove goonhood in addition to my greeness. :blush:)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
In a similar "I like modding things" vein, is there a way to see the plaintext entry for an existing unit/weapon/attack?

For example: if I were to try to create a new dragon, it might help to have the original's info. The beastiary is helpful but I'm afraid I'll miss something important. Likewise if I were to try to recreate dragon fire breath with an identical attack area, having the original as a baseline could help make a new version that does say shock or acid or fear (or whatever) damage instead of the standard fire/cold/poison.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Try the mod inspector (and editor!).

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

I'd give credit to the author, but I'm afraid I've no idea who it is... it's just one of those things that's found its way mysteriously into my bookmarks. Nice piece of work though. I'm sure someone around here will know who did it so gratitude can be properly conveyed.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 10, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, Dom4 is 50% off on GamersGate for a couple of days! (sorry if this has been mentioned; I checked the last couple of pages and it didn't look to be, and I'm about to head off though so I don't have time to comb through the last five or so pages at present) So anyway, can someone confirm/deny to me about whether the GamersGate copy of the game will register on Steam? Since it says on the store page that it requires 'other DRM', but that doesn't explicitly state that it requires Steam, so I just thought I should check here first, just so I know what to expect. (can't believe it's discounted so soon - I made what's arguably a mistake by buying Dom3 scant days before Dom4 came out, so I've been waiting for it to get even a ~20% discount, so this is a great opportunity! Either way, Dom3's been a pretty good entry to the series)

Thanks

EDIT: Oh, I guess I should note that I recall reading that Desura and GamersGate keys from copies bought before the game was released on Steam could be registered on Steam after Dom4 was released there, but what about now, as it's been a while since that point? Can you still register GG and Desura keys on Steam, or is that no longer permitted?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jan 10, 2014

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

TheDemon posted:

But I want an inappropriate bless. You'd think the red dragon would be a fire bless but NOPE its actually a water mage extraordinaire.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Oh, I guess I should note that I recall reading that Desura and GamersGate keys from copies bought before the game was released on Steam could be registered on Steam after Dom4 was released there, but what about now, as it's been a while since that point? Can you still register GG and Desura keys on Steam, or is that no longer permitted?
I convinced my mate to buy it off Gamersgate the other day, and he says it registered on Steam fine.

I can't see it in his library though, so take that with a pinch of salt for now (he works hard, hasn't had a chance to play it yet).

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Major Isoor posted:

Im pretty sure the keys that Gamersgate and Desura generate all use exactly the same algorithm and thus can be transferred to Steam with little effort.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PoptartsNinja posted:

In a similar "I like modding things" vein, is there a way to see the plaintext entry for an existing unit/weapon/attack?

For example: if I were to try to create a new dragon, it might help to have the original's info. The beastiary is helpful but I'm afraid I'll miss something important. Likewise if I were to try to recreate dragon fire breath with an identical attack area, having the original as a baseline could help make a new version that does say shock or acid or fear (or whatever) damage instead of the standard fire/cold/poison.

The information you see just by right-clicking a unit (and left-clicking its weapons) will almost always correspond directly to how that unit is generated. Attack attributes like Shock (AN 10) and Beam are listed in the modding manual and can be ctrl-F'd to find.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright cool, thanks guys! I guess it's finally time for me to upgrade.

Oh also, now that I think about it, I've got a quick question: on god creation, is it best to put more points into magic, or dominion? Since you can actually give your god/pretender points in the different magic schools ingame anyway, right? (in exchange for a pile of gems and the like though, I guess) Since I was just wondering - if you CAN upgrade your pretender's magic ability mid-game, do you still get the global bonuses when you reach level three (or was it four?) in a particular school of magic?) Or are those bonuses only given upon character creation?

Thanks

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Major Isoor posted:

Alright cool, thanks guys! I guess it's finally time for me to upgrade.

Oh also, now that I think about it, I've got a quick question: on god creation, is it best to put more points into magic, or dominion? Since you can actually give your god/pretender points in the different magic schools ingame anyway, right? (in exchange for a pile of gems and the like though, I guess) Since I was just wondering - if you CAN upgrade your pretender's magic ability mid-game, do you still get the global bonuses when you reach level three (or was it four?) in a particular school of magic?) Or are those bonuses only given upon character creation?

Thanks

Empowerment (buying magic abilities through gems) is enormously expensive and should be a last resort for if you really need to get one more increment and have exhausted other ways of doing so. Every magic type has items you can construct and wear that will increase a mage's ability in that school of magic, or potentially multiple types. This is several magnitudes more efficient than empowerment. Here is a list of path boosting items.

You should be safe with 7 Dominion generally - after that, try to imagine how your pretender can fit into an overall strategy and base your magic and scales off that. For instance, if I want my endgame goal to be casting Tartarian Gate every turn for an army of nasty supercombatants, I would set my pretender's Death magic to 5 because I can use that to construct 2 pathboosting items to get my magic to 7, which is the requirement for casting Tartarian Gate.

The bonuses from bless are decided by two things: your magic skills at pretender creation, and any effects from Thrones you have claimed on the map. Increasing magic ingame will not affect bless.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jan 10, 2014

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

tooterfish posted:

Try the mod inspector (and editor!).

http://dom4editor.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inspector/index.html

I'd give credit to the author, but I'm afraid I've no idea who it is... it's just one of those things that's found its way mysteriously into my bookmarks. Nice piece of work though. I'm sure someone around here will know who did it so gratitude can be properly conveyed.

I'm the author of the mod editor and I did the work to upgrade the mod inspector to Dom 4. The Dominions 4 Mod Editor. should be able to do exactly what you want. To create Shock breath, for example, using Fire Breath as the base first add Fire Breath to a mod. Then, the editor will show you all the default values for it's properties. You can then create the new weapon Shock Breath and use those same values except substitute "shock" for "fire" as the damage type. There is a page with some screenshots and simple getting started instructions for the editor here. You could also use the inspector linked above to get another view of the data.

I'm in the process of upgrading the underlying data used for both the mod editor and the web-based inspector from the dom4db to data ripped directly from the Dominions executable. So, the data quality should improve soon. If you are interested in some raw data dumps here is the raw info for armor, weapons and spells.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Thanks for the mod inspector. I've been converting CoE3 classes into Dominions nations, and knowing all the unit ids are extremely helpful.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Larz posted:

I'm the author of the mod editor and I did the work to upgrade the mod inspector to Dom 4.
In that case, consider gratitude very much conveyed good sir!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, now that I think about it, I've got a quick question: on god creation, is it best to put more points into magic, or dominion?
Get 6 dominion as a baseline, some can go less (Asphodel, for example), some will go higher (typically Ermor/Lemuria, but don't try to learn the game with them, because they're weird). Every 5 temples you build adds a point of Dominion, but the cost of that is between 500 gold on Asphodel to 4000 gold on Gath (tends to be 2000 on most nations). You'll tend to end up with a couple more points of dominion by the end of a game, but don't start with 3 and then waste all of your gold trying to fix it as the game goes on.

And then with the magic versus scales thing, it depends on your plan for your God and what your nation needs in terms of scales. Order is always useful, because money is always useful, everything else sorta depends. Going into Death over Growth is risky, though.

When it comes to blesses, there are a few nations where it's worthwhile (most notably Mictlan), but the vast majority of nations don't have sacred troops that are widely available enough to make a big bless worth the points.

quote:

Since you can actually give your god/pretender points in the different magic schools ingame anyway, right? (in exchange for a pile of gems and the like though, I guess) Since I was just wondering - if you CAN upgrade your pretender's magic ability mid-game, do you still get the global bonuses when you reach level three (or was it four?) in a particular school of magic?) Or are those bonuses only given upon character creation?
Your blessing will only change with thrones.

So if your God that has 9 Air magic dies and you lose a point in it (this happens for everyone but Ur, except with immortal pretenders within your own dominion), your sacred units won't lose their 80% Air Shield defence against most projectiles.

But you also can't improve it using gems or items in the game.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Do sacred troops automatically start out blessed? I have had battles where round 1 my sacreds were already blessed.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

If your pretender is in the battle all your sacreds will be blessed automatically.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Otherwise you bless them with Bless at H1, which only affects a small area, or Divine Bless, at H3 (so all Prophets can cast it), which blesses everything.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Man, spite casting BoT right after a dispel is no fun.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Hm, OK then, well I'll keep that in mind. I guess I'll focus a little more on Order this time, instead of luck, too; since I remember reading in here that luck's not much good in the late-game, as there's a cap on random events occurring. Also, you mentioned immortal pretenders; with those, I take it if one dies in your own dominion there's no penalty for their death at all? But what about in other dominions? Will they just die and be resurrected normally, or will it be more costly to bring them back, over a non-immortal pretender? (and how useful for a mage pretender do you think it'd be? Worth angling for during character creation, or a bit over-rated?)

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Major Isoor posted:

Also, you mentioned immortal pretenders; with those, I take it if one dies in your own dominion there's no penalty for their death at all? But what about in other dominions? Will they just die and be resurrected normally, or will it be more costly to bring them back, over a non-immortal pretender? (and how useful for a mage pretender do you think it'd be? Worth angling for during character creation, or a bit over-rated?)

Immortal pretenders that die in enemy dominion are treated the same way non-immortal pretenders are when they die: 50 priest-level-turns, plus or minus, to get them back and they lose 1 from each magic path.

As with anything else, immortality is useful if you have a plan for it. Personally I think it's overrated, but it's still fun as hell.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Immortality on a mage isn't all that handy unless you're expecting a shitton of SC assassins, on an SC pretender though it's pretty nice when used carefully; helps them avoid wounds amongst other things.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Korwin posted:

If this where true, undead flying troops (or Commanders) would allways reach the back with attack rear orders.
Since they do not reach allways the back...

I see Princes of Death and Harbingers jump the line all the time attack rear all the time ok I believe it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ah, right I'd forgotten about wounds/afflictions. So, I guess Immortality's ideal on more of a warrior god (SC, isn't it? I'm not all that up with my Dom jargon), particularly if it's limited to a more defensive role. So, how would I go about turning my future pretender (haven't been able to start a Dom4 game up just yet) into a decent fighter? Just boost its magic item creating abilities a little, and go for shields, etc? Since I can't just boost its hit points and base attack power...can I?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Different nations have different pretenders so you might end up with a Prince of Death who can frighten everything off of the field without fighting at all, or a serpent with a head on its rear end who doesn't need equipment to fight effectively, or a size 6 woman with titties the size of a man who could use a shield to block people from stabbing her in her fat rolls.

Your SC really isn't about having the paths to forge its own equipment let other mages do that. If they are going to be awake and tooling around you aren't going to have any research in construction anyway.

e: just take a W9 dragon like everyone else honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Posting to support registration on goon game site.

Incidentally, is there a guide for hosting games somewhere?

edit: forgot steam profile link: http://steamcommunity.com/id/sakesniper/

Janissary Hop fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jan 11, 2014

• Locked thread