Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rhyno posted:

I've seen her in other things (that dreadful horror series) and I'm not impressed with her talents. She's not the worst actress I've ever seen but she's easily the least talented on this show.

That and she has absolutely no chemistry with most of the cast. I'm pretty sure a solid half the reason people flocked to Felicity as hard as they did is because Rickards has insane chemistry with Amell, same with Ramsay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King of Solomon posted:

That and she has absolutely no chemistry with most of the cast. I'm pretty sure a solid half the reason people flocked to Felicity as hard as they did is because Rickards has insane chemistry with Amell, same with Ramsay.

This is another factor. I mean, she was quite good in the pilot but beyond that she's been very bland. She had excellent chemistry with Colin though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rhyno posted:

This is another factor. I mean, she was quite good in the pilot but beyond that she's been very bland. She had excellent chemistry with Colin though.

Yeah, definitely. Unfortunately, good chemistry with Colin isn't exactly a boon anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, definitely. Unfortunately, good chemistry with Colin isn't exactly a boon anymore.

I know, I wish he'd lived somehow so they could stick Laurel off with Tommy.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

I know, I wish he'd lived somehow so they could stick Laurel off with Tommy.

They should both live on in Flashbacks as boyfriend girlfriend, providing Arrow with a moral compass when times are hard.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I just wish they hadn't burned Huntress already because Sara could become a version of that character so easily when they make Laurel Black Canary.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

I just wish they hadn't burned Huntress already because Sara could become a version of that character so easily when they make Laurel Black Canary.

I'm sure we can find a new female hero for Sara to become.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Rhyno posted:

I'm sure we can find a new female hero for Sara to become.

Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Nooooo then I'd have to write a ton of stuff about racebending and poo poo and I'm so tired of me doing that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krad posted:

Cassandra Cain Batgirl.

Yessssss!

BrianWilly posted:

Nooooo then I'd have to write a ton of stuff about racebending and poo poo and I'm so tired of me doing that.

You wouldn't be able to stop yourself.

I know! She can be Vixen!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah, I don't think the vitriol against Cassidy would be even half as much if Caity Loitz hadn't shown up. It's not exactly Cassidy's fault that she got saddled with the worst of the Season 1 (and even up to now) writing and laying groundwork, and considering the CW's usual standards she would probably be OK as Black Canary. But then someone shows up who makes a better connection to the entire rest of the cast in two episodes as opposed to two seasons, plus she has the physique and training (both in the story and in real life) to kick rear end, but it's ultimately a short-term gig? It seems very much a "grass is greener" kind of situation.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I just hope the CW gives Caity a starring role on another show eventually. I've read that both the Supernatural boys have been offered long term contracts just to keep them on the CW in some manner when their show is over.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Let's put this another way, the character of Lauren would not have amazing with a different actress.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'd like to see her have to do something other than stoic or sad before I decide if I want to watch her star in a show.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
I don't really mind Laurel all that much. I guess I'm interested in riding the story out and hoping they give her something more interesting to do this season.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Katie Cassidy has the problem of her character never having a scene where she gets to show any chemistry with another character. There haven't been any scenes where she just chills with her dad, or doesn't have some massive emotional baggage with Ollie, or isn't being threatened. Laurel is always saddled with the setup of future arcs, or the emotional fallout of a current arc. If they could just give her a scene where she gets to hang out at Big Belly Burger and not have it end with ~EMOTIONS~ that would go a long way to helping her character. It's hard to have a connection with someone who is always the downer, and that has been her job on the show so far.

Maybe they could have a scene where she gets mugged and Ollie is nearby and goes to save her, but she just beats rear end on her own, then walks of like it was nothing. Showing that she isn't a damsel in distress all the time would help her transition to Black Canary as well.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
It would certainly help if Katie would stop looking so drat angry in every single scene.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kruller posted:

Katie Cassidy has the problem of her character never having a scene where she gets to show any chemistry with another character. There haven't been any scenes where she just chills with her dad, or doesn't have some massive emotional baggage with Ollie, or isn't being threatened. Laurel is always saddled with the setup of future arcs, or the emotional fallout of a current arc. If they could just give her a scene where she gets to hang out at Big Belly Burger and not have it end with ~EMOTIONS~ that would go a long way to helping her character. It's hard to have a connection with someone who is always the downer, and that has been her job on the show so far.

Maybe they could have a scene where she gets mugged and Ollie is nearby and goes to save her, but she just beats rear end on her own, then walks of like it was nothing. Showing that she isn't a damsel in distress all the time would help her transition to Black Canary as well.

She's not a damsel in distress such that beating up people would enhance her character. Her story arc doesn't need her rampaging violently through town. It needs, as you said before, scenes where she gets to hang out and, you know, characterize positively.

I think it's kind of funny and disappointing that you'd think her saving grace would be to become a terminator for an episode.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Is this show back yet?

I want it to be back.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Drifter posted:

She's not a damsel in distress such that beating up people would enhance her character. Her story arc doesn't need her rampaging violently through town. It needs, as you said before, scenes where she gets to hang out and, you know, characterize positively.

I think it's kind of funny and disappointing that you'd think her saving grace would be to become a terminator for an episode.

No, her saving grace would be her being allowed to grow in some way. Her going all "terminator" would just sell the eventual Canary transition. I'm tired of a good actress being wasted on b a bad character, basically.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She had some decent moments when she was being chatty with her black friend back in CNRI like a larval Leslie Knopes. Whatever happened to that friend anyway? Right now Laurel's less...that...and just all business all the time with no real friends. Even her fashion sense has gone from casual professional to ice queen business woman 24/7.

Maybe it is completely intentional and when we look back on this character growth throughout the series it will be completely revelatory. Arrow is one of the very, very few shows on which I could place that kind of bet.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

WarLocke posted:

Is this show back yet?

I want it to be back.

One more week.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

They should have had her just save herself from the Dollmaker. It's not as if he was good at martial arts or anything, just able to beat up regular coeds.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its hard to say "Laurel has no chemistry with the cast" when we never see her interact with 90% of the cast. They at least involved her with Roy and Thea, so there's progress there.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Kruller posted:

This rings really true for me. It's not that the actress is that terrible, it's that her character is all these things: maudlin, judgmental, powerless, reactionary, and dry. It's totally a writing problem, and even the most talented or versatile actress couldn't make lemonade from those lemons. Her character isn't fun and isn't interesting; it's not fair to blame Katie Cassidy because Laurel-as-written is all she has to work with.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Preview clip from 'Blast Radius.'

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Some Numbers posted:

One more week.

gently caress. Man. I need my fix :(

Narcissus1916 posted:

Its hard to say "Laurel has no chemistry with the cast" when we never see her interact with 90% of the cast. They at least involved her with Roy and Thea, so there's progress there.

Yeah, she's been pretty isolated after becoming a drug-addled drunk. I don't like the character, but maybe the lack of chemistry is in purpose because of her whole Tommy dying trauma? Not saying Katie Cassidy is capabale of giving such a layered performance like that or anything... haha, what. :confused:

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 10, 2014

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

They really make an effort to keep the show's timeline consistent with the real world's. In the clip they establish that Oliver has been looking for the man in the skull mask for five weeks, which matches the amount of time the show will have been off the air come next week.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How do they shoot the show? Do they show episode 4 on TV while they're shooting episode 6, or do they shoot a huge chunk of episodes and spend 4 months editing them?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I think they work fairly consistently, shooting a couple months in front of the airdates. Amell said on Facebook that they had shot up through episode 14 before they went on break over the holidays and they're back to work this week.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's sort of both, though the episode gap is larger. Shooting starts a few months ahead of the season premiere. How far depends on the production. For example Castle starts in July usually because it's a fairly straightforward show with mostly practical effects, while Orphan Black's latest season has a 6 month lead time. South Park famously does their episodes basically week by week, sometimes finishing just an hour or two ahead of airtime.

Arrow season 2 started filming July 10th, 3 months ahead of premiere.

Shooting of an individual episode takes about a week for most shows. Post production varies of course. The gap tends to shrink as the season goes on since full production of an episode takes more than a week.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 10, 2014

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I think in one of the interviews I watched Amell said they do 8 day shoots for each episode.

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009
Guys, Laurel looks different this season because she has been hitting the pills hard after Tommy died.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chef Bromden posted:

Guys, Laurel looks different this season because she has been hitting the pills hard after Tommy died.

Acting

Merlinicus
May 3, 2011

jscolon2.0 posted:

They should have had her just save herself from the Dollmaker. It's not as if he was good at martial arts or anything, just able to beat up regular coeds.

Eh, wasn't that the episode where she finally realized everything was her fault? Having her save herself wouldn't have really worked with that.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Merlinicus posted:

Eh, wasn't that the episode where she finally realized everything was her fault? Having her save herself wouldn't have really worked with that.

Well actually, everything was her fault because OTHER people were trying to save her. Had she been more capable and self reliant she wouldn't have gotten into the mess to begin with. And then she could have gone down a dark path of violence and loneliness where she felt like she needed to distance herself from everyone and then we'd see her next season fighting bears in a Russian circus.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I bet Laurel would have chemistry with Slade :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bad Moon posted:

I bet Laurel would have chemistry with Slade :colbert:

Who wouldn't have chemistry with Slade? :allears:

Krad