Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Nocheez posted:

I have no clue what I just watched.

I am glad it's not just me.

Though one thing I got is that the people who put those rimz on should be shot for crimes against taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Nocheez posted:

Guys are part of ACN, a pyramid company that resells communications. I'm not sure what they're reselling for them, BUT SOMEONE WILL MAKE A LOT OF MONEY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX7GU2hvulI

Also their Bentley has streaks on their rims. Definitely not baller.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Nocheez posted:

MLM, that's pretty much all you need to know. Business meeting at an IHOP? MLM. Day is saved when the potential pyramidees are shown that the people at the top totally own Bentleys? MLM.

MLM is a whole other category of bad with money, we would probably have to rename the thread "people sad with money".

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Dude knows Flavor Flav though. Isn't he good with money? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTPots2i0M

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

FrozenVent posted:

Isn't that one of the few cases where it makes sense to lease a car?
Definitely. And if your employer is so hung up on their employees having nice, shiny cars when visiting clients the company should cover most, if not all, of the costs of owning that vehicle. Most companies do exactly this if they're concerned about the image their employees' cars present.

Say Nothing posted:

I went to an MLM seminar once out of curiosity. The only other people were a couple who had invested in it and were there to complain about how they were being ripped off.
Heh, awesome. What kind of canned rebuttals did the MLM guys give them?

"Well if you think about it all companies' hierarchies are pyramid-shaped. Even Walmart's!"
"You're not networking enough!"
etc.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 9, 2014

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Strong Sauce posted:

Dude knows Flavor Flav though. Isn't he good with money? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsTPots2i0M

This guy is "successful" with MLM because he's charming and is alpha as hell, so he doesn't care that he's screwing everyone at the bottom of the pyramid.

I say successful in quotes because he's still probably the type to be mortgaged up to his eyeballs and just riddled with debt to pay for all of his things that maintain his image of success.

edit: Can we get a thread for this guy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hadOdyi9TvE

edit2: Wow, this evangelical-esque "keynote" is definitely faked. There's no way there's actually a crowd listening to him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfINe-ZXpwU

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 9, 2014

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

melon cat posted:

Definitely. And if your employer is so hung up on their employees having nice, shiny cars when visiting clients the company should cover most, if not all, of the costs of owning that vehicle. Most companies do exactly this if they're concerned about the image their employees' cars present.

Sure, "car allowances" are also common, but it's just plain old taxable income by a different name.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

SlapActionJackson posted:

Sure, "car allowances" are also common, but it's just plain old taxable income by a different name.

And I don't like this cause THEN I'M IN A HIGHER TAX BRACKET AND TAKE HOME LESS MONEY HURR HURR

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NancyPants posted:

And I don't like this cause THEN I'M IN A HIGHER TAX BRACKET AND TAKE HOME LESS MONEY HURR HURR

Actually, in a vacuum, yeah, getting a car allowance from work will actually reduce the amount you take home. But that's assuming you already had a car and the cost to maintain/fuel is less than the taxes paid on the car allowance.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Actually, in a vacuum, yeah, getting a car allowance from work will actually reduce the amount you take home. But that's assuming you already had a car and the cost to maintain/fuel is less than the taxes paid on the car allowance.

What you just described is sort of the opposite of a vacuum.

E: cause it is a car, get it? :v

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

The cashier's check he flashes at the beginning loving says "NON-NEGOTIABLE" on it :psyduck:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

The cashier's check he flashes at the beginning loving says "NON-NEGOTIABLE" on it :psyduck:

I've never seen a cheque that doesn't.

Doesn't it basically just mean whatever details written on it are final basically?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

I'm sad to hear that Kangen water is MLM. There's an awesome Rasta family at our farmers market who make great fried fish sandwiches with soul food sides. They also have a Kangen water thing and are always talking about it. We just laugh about it. They even gave us a DVD once with interviews with people talking about how great Kangen water is although I don't remember if we watched it. It makes me sad to think that they're caught up in it since they're cool folks.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Rudager posted:

I've never seen a cheque that doesn't.

Doesn't it basically just mean whatever details written on it are final basically?

:what:

Non negotiable on a check means it isn't a valid check.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Is this true? If your tax bracket goes up you only pay the higher rate on the additional income. It shouldn't affect the taxes you pay on your normal salary.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

in_cahoots posted:

Is this true? If your tax bracket goes up you only pay the higher rate on the additional income. It shouldn't affect the taxes you pay on your normal salary.

If the car benefit is reported as a taxable perk or reimbursement you have to pay taxes on it. For example, if your company pays for a cellphone and plan that you also use for personal use, that's taxable and needs to be reported. So, if you get some sort of car allowance, and it gets reported, that could cost you even though you don't get it. It would be a pretty weird scenario though.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

But guys, your clients will be super impressed when you take them to your business meeting at an IHOP and see that you're driving a Bentley! Look, here's video evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ler-4LwiaWk&t=156s

That is so much crazier than I though it was going to be.

I was interviewing candidates for a web design position. One "candidate" that was submitted by an agency only had one client site on his portfolio and it was some sort of horrible 1996-looking candle-selling MLM site. His work was the personal site for someone who was wrapped up in the scam. She had all these crazy pictures of yachts and Caribbean islands on her site and talked about making your dreams come true... But she was supposedly selling candles. I couldn't figure it out until I looked up the candle company and it was a slicker site but the same weird confusion: lots of verbiage about lifestyle but nowhere to actually buy candles.

I told the agency to never send me anyone who was involved in pyramid schemes again.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

corkskroo posted:

I'm sad to hear that Kangen water is MLM. There's an awesome Rasta family at our farmers market who make great fried fish sandwiches with soul food sides. They also have a Kangen water thing and are always talking about it. We just laugh about it. They even gave us a DVD once with interviews with people talking about how great Kangen water is although I don't remember if we watched it. It makes me sad to think that they're caught up in it since they're cool folks.

At least selling soul food is a real business so at least they have that going for them.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

At least selling soul food is a real business so at least they have that going for them.

They clean up and they're great people. I hope the water thing isn't killing them.

Eden
Jul 1, 2007
One hella classy dinosaur
I know, I know, Reddit. But holy cow, this guy http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/1utl1n/180000_student_loan_debt_i_need_some_serious/

Key points:
- $180k in (mostly private) student loan debt for an art degree
- Parents co-signed the loans
- Can't afford repayments
- Is leasing a car

It's so depressing I almost feel bad for the guy.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Eden posted:

- $180k in (mostly private) student loan debt for an art degree
Not just an art degree, an art degree from a for-profit college. So it's not even a real college degree.

edit: hahaha he also blames his lack of employability on "corruption in outsourcing":

quote:

Over those 3-5 years, the gaming / film industry has started seeing corruption in outsourcing majority of their jobs across seas. Rendering me with a useless degree until my skills are at godsend level or I get really lucky while networking.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You'd think someone with an art degree would learn how to use the word "render."

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

But guys, your clients will be super impressed when you take them to your business meeting at an IHOP and see that you're driving a Bentley! Look, here's video evidence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ler-4LwiaWk&t=156s

I have a low tolerance to anything MLM, but I'm so glad that this exists.

Tools! I HAVE TO HAVE MY TOOLS! I like to bind, I like to be bound

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

If the car benefit is reported as a taxable perk or reimbursement you have to pay taxes on it. For example, if your company pays for a cellphone and plan that you also use for personal use, that's taxable and needs to be reported. So, if you get some sort of car allowance, and it gets reported, that could cost you even though you don't get it. It would be a pretty weird scenario though.

Car allowances are always taxable, so it's all just income, but people tend to go along with employer's car standards more easily if they think they're getting help for it.

$60K sales job w/ $6k car allowance is EXACTLY the same as a $66K job with no allowance. Same taxes, same take home.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

I guess it's something different here, I always thought it basically meant the person it's made out too was the only one that could bank it and only in the full amount.

EDIT: Yeah, seems here in Australia it means something totally different, I just checked with an accountant here at work (slow day), apparently it caused quite a problem for us in the past when we had to send out a few cheques to our US customers for refunds and at least one of them couldn't bank it and had to be re-issued without the usual "Non-Negiotable" written across it.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 10, 2014

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
To be fair, it could just be the receipt of an actual cashier's cheque, but it does beg the question, why are they showing him just testing a ferrari and not actually driving it when the latter would be far more impressive?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

SlapActionJackson posted:

Car allowances are always taxable, so it's all just income, but people tend to go along with employer's car standards more easily if they think they're getting help for it.

$60K sales job w/ $6k car allowance is EXACTLY the same as a $66K job with no allowance. Same taxes, same take home.

Well I assume if you only buy a $4k car then you can't keep the difference.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

To be fair, it could just be the receipt of an actual cashier's cheque, but it does beg the question, why are they showing him just testing a ferrari and not actually driving it when the latter would be far more impressive?

I'm pretty sure it is a receipt. But to answer your question, I'm also pretty sure it's fake just like the keynote speech in front of the fake audience.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Well I assume if you only buy a $4k car then you can't keep the difference.

You're not likely to find a $4K car that meets the criteria, but yes, you get to keep the difference if you don't spend it all.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I know this was mentioned here before, but commuting is expensive.

A guy I have since lost touch with made $20K at the kind of job that would shell out such a salary. However, the job could earn him more money with weekend work, and invariably he turned that down to go visit his girlfriend every weekend.

Not so bad, right? Except that each visit was 200 miles round trip, with a 5,000-foot elevation change. Gas where we lived was $4 a gallon. His car was a beater, too. I have no idea how he managed to feed himself after paying rent, bills and gas for weekend visits.

The guy then got a new job, in a different place, that still paid the same amount of money but for even MORE work (somehow). He moved in with his girlfriend. Sweet deal ... except that his round-trip commute is 120 miles each day, with a 2,000-foot elevation change. Gas is still expensive. His car is still poo poo.

His girlfriend is a college student who doesn't work. From what I understand, she has some student loan debt but just a few thousand dollars, not the $100,000+ of other financial fuckups.

Last I'd heard from them, he'd gotten his girlfriend pregnant.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Oh my god what on earth? ETT ETC IBO Taprooting what the hell language is this guy speaking? This is unbelievable. Like the candle thing I was talking about, when you're looking at a business and you can't figure out what the gently caress they actually do or sell that's a really bad sign. I can't believe that there's this huge shadow industry filled with people who don't understand that.

tiananman
Feb 6, 2005
Non-Headkins Splatoma

corkskroo posted:

Oh my god what on earth? ETT ETC IBO Taprooting what the hell language is this guy speaking? This is unbelievable. Like the candle thing I was talking about, when you're looking at a business and you can't figure out what the gently caress they actually do or sell that's a really bad sign. I can't believe that there's this huge shadow industry filled with people who don't understand that.

That video is great, because it reveals that that the people who make money in that nonsense NEVER sell any of the product - they just find people willing to pay the $500 to become a part of the "business."

You'd think that if they were actually selling product, this guy would mention actually how to sell the product as a pillar of success. But no... it's all about finding more suckers. And you only need 4 people! It's so BLATANTLY a pyramid scheme that his best selling point is that it's a great pyramid scheme.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

I know this was mentioned here before, but commuting is expensive.

A guy I have since lost touch with made $20K at the kind of job that would shell out such a salary. However, the job could earn him more money with weekend work, and invariably he turned that down to go visit his girlfriend every weekend.

Not so bad, right? Except that each visit was 200 miles round trip, with a 5,000-foot elevation change. Gas where we lived was $4 a gallon. His car was a beater, too. I have no idea how he managed to feed himself after paying rent, bills and gas for weekend visits.

The guy then got a new job, in a different place, that still paid the same amount of money but for even MORE work (somehow). He moved in with his girlfriend. Sweet deal ... except that his round-trip commute is 120 miles each day, with a 2,000-foot elevation change. Gas is still expensive. His car is still poo poo.

His girlfriend is a college student who doesn't work. From what I understand, she has some student loan debt but just a few thousand dollars, not the $100,000+ of other financial fuckups.

Last I'd heard from them, he'd gotten his girlfriend pregnant.

This is just depressing :(

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Rudager posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo?

Because I mean all homeless people stay in motels when they can't find a couch to sleep on right?

They also can afford to travel around multiple states to find that couch too.

You know this story isn't really funny and hits home pretty hard. I'm going to guess the guy has some undiagnosed mental illness and coupled with leaving a very structured life in the military he now has a big problem adjusting to civilian life.

My dad was a Vet, did a couple tours in Vietnam, came back and used his GI Bill for college and was a pretty successful CPA... for a while, then eventually PTSD and probably some other forms of mental illness made it so he couldn't even hold down a job at a pawnshop any more. He eventually got on disability but it didn't make things any better, just put a little money in his pocket. Lived out of his car and motels when he could afford it. The check showed up on the 1st and he was broke by the 15th.

Life isn't so cut and dry you know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Old Fart posted:

I'm starting to love your roommate. More!

Haven't had any good stories since then but she just told me what I owed her for power the other day. It was pretty high, like much higher than I expected even considering that last month got really cold. I finally figured out why when I had to get something from her room which was like walking into an oven because the heat was turned to 90 F. I mentioned she left the heat on so I just turned it off when I saw her later and her response was "oh yeah I like keeping my room warm for when I get home from work."

She's really terrible at electricity and often leaves her lights on because "it's just cents on the dollar" and needs to turn on every single light in the vicinity of where she's standing and always needs to have a TV on for background noise, but it was never a big enough deal enough for me to say that splitting 50/50 on electricity wasn't fair even if she used more because that's one of the things with roommates: you win some and you lose some, but this takes the cake (and rather than being passive aggressive about it we talked like adults and she agreed I should only have to pay the same I paid last month plus extra for communal heating).

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Is there seriously multi level marketing for everything now? I just saw a new one pop up on my feed for those body wrap things that magically make you smaller or something.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I once got drawn into a company that wasn't a MLM per se, but was still very shady. In a 100% commission (But we don't tell you that during the initial interview :ssh:) kind of way. We had to pay our own bus fares to get on site, but that was about it for what we had to pay out. The 'sales' aspect was door-to-door on three campaigns (that were sequential, we moved from one to the next for the three months I was there). First, checking privately owned homes for insulation to see if they qualified for government grants (basically free insulation upgrades if the insulation wasn't thick enough). Second, doing the same for council houses on request of local governments. Finally trying to sign people up for an obscure charity.

The really shady part was that we were promised a fixed wage during interview 1. Interview 2 admitted the 'real' structure:

1)2-4 weeks sales role to learn about the products and pitches - 100% Commission
2)2 months senior sales role with management aspects - Weekly wage
Final stage: Full management role with our own offices where chosen (My thoughts on this stage - "Yeah, right")

It quickly became clear that the 'managers' are at the 100% commission still, one even admitted it. I would think that he'd been suckered into it only he said that him and the other two (only) employees before we joined formed the company together, so he was probably just good as high pressure sales due to being a pushy, seedy bastard. They get sub-commissions based on our performance, for each sale we made they got money as well. His logic for being on commission was "it prevents you getting complacent", but yeah, gently caress you too Prospect Marketing Enterprises. I quit after 3 months due to the toxic atmosphere and increasingly obvious MLM shenanigans.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Bisty Q. posted:

Well, not always: http://patrickcombs.com/95g/

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

TLG James posted:

Is there seriously multi level marketing for everything now? I just saw a new one pop up on my feed for those body wrap things that magically make you smaller or something.

One of my classmates became a distributor for "Itworks" the wrap. I was unconvinced by her before and after pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Props to that guy for spinning his story into a whole self-help brand for himself. I guess. He never says if he gave the money back. Wouldn't knowing you're depositing a fake check be a crime itself?

• Locked thread