Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

regulargonzalez posted:

I have no idea what this means so I just reinstalled.

Also, in that same menu where you can toggle Swype on and off there is a Default Input option you can click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Geektox posted:

Also, in that same menu where you can toggle Swype on and off there is a Default Input option you can click.

I swear there was on my old Galaxy S1 but not on the HTC One.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

See that notification that only appears when your keyboard is open? Pull down the notification shade and click on it.

Ah thanks.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

q not e

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Google Navigation reads this entire thing every time I try to go somewhere.

I don't know why Google has so many names for it, or if they can change it.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
I'm going to go ahead and go out on a limb and say that it's New Jersey's fault and not so much Google.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That happens for me in Australia too.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

FogHelmut posted:

Hahaha, yeah, I take that route a lot for work stuff and every time it reads the whole goddamned thing out.

EDIT Actually, no, it does this with Rt 70 as well. NJ just has hosed up roads.

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 9, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

FogHelmut posted:

It's a bug in their route data. You can try going to the same location on the browser google maps and clicking the "report a problem" link, and then describing the problem as "wrong name" or something like that, and say it show up as just NJ 73.

For a while they had US 30 on the way into AC also labeled as "Trans-Canada Highway 45", but that got cleaned up after I reported it.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I'm suprised how quickly they respond to errors in the map. I found that a section of highway didn't exist in the route finder (it was on the map, but was never used for navigation), and I got the email saying it was fixed within a few days

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm suprised how quickly they respond to errors in the map. I found that a section of highway didn't exist in the route finder (it was on the map, but was never used for navigation), and I got the email saying it was fixed within a few days
On the other hand it took them two years to verify that the street my employer is on existed and has since 2005. It took them another year to switch it to the correct city and county despite the full address being visible in their StreetView picture of the building.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Drunk Badger posted:

Over a year ago I reported a problem with Maps where it would tell me to turn left where a left turn was illegal. They immediately sent me an email telling me that my report was right (you can see a no left turn sign from street view) but it took them 6 months to correct it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I would like for Google Maps to be even more verbose all the time it is like "take the exit in 2 miles" and there is like 5 exits within 2 miles I just want it to give me an exit number.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is it possible to change the daydream brightness settings based on location (or current wifi network or something that is a proxy for location)? I would like the daydream to be bright and readable under office lighting when I'm at work, and dim (night mode) when charging at home. Maybe this is something Tasker can do, but I really don't know what it can do.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/01/09/twitters-api-limit-claims-another-victim-as-carbon-runs-out-of-tokens/

There goes Carbon thanks to Twitter's API limit.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I recently changed the ROM on my HTC One to AOKP, so I no longer have the nice Sense camera app. I hate the stock camera app, and while Camera Zoom FX is pretty nice, I am getting annoyed that after every photo (unless it's in burst mode,) I get the prompt asking me if I want to save it, delete it, or add "effects."

I'm wondering if there's a way to turn that off (I haven't seen it in the settings,) or if there's just a different camera app that people like that just saves the photo as is after taking it and doesn't prompt me with options I don't care about.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm wondering if there's a way to turn that off (I haven't seen it in the settings,) or if there's just a different camera app that people like that just saves the photo as is after taking it and doesn't prompt me with options I don't care about.
Set "auto save?" to "On" and it won't ask.

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Are there any apps that duplicate the functions of GravityBox that work in ART? I don't care if I have to get 15 different apps, I just miss the features.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Arrinien posted:

Are there any apps that duplicate the functions of GravityBox that work in ART? I don't care if I have to get 15 different apps, I just miss the features.

What device? I switched to ART today on my Moto X and GB still works fine.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Xposed switches back to dalvik automatically to prevent a bootloop. You should be running dalvik, unless they changed something the last few days.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Xposed automatically switches you back to Dalvik if you enable ART, it's not compatible.

edit: :argh:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
On my n7 and n5 action launcher pro seems to be randomly zooming in on my wallpaper? Happens every so often and then is permanent until I change it. Any thoughts?

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
My Galaxy Note 3 was recently rooted and link2sd installed so some of my beefier games could be stored on an SD card. The games worked fine initially but later all of a sudden stopped, with an error message saying something to the effect of an application tried to access something or other that it didn't have permission to access. I thought it might be a virus scanner or something but deleting that didn't work.

However I was just reading through the thread and I saw a strong recommendation against battery saving apps and task killers. I went and uninstalled the one I had and the second I did a popup appeared asking if I wanted to grant link2sd shell access (I think) which I did. A message appeared directly after that saying it had been successful.

So I went into link2d to test if it worked but I am prompted to 'Select the file system of your SD card's second partition'. The options are ext2, ext3, ext4, and FAT32/FAT16. I know what the FAT things are, but I have no idea what the other ones mean. Can anyone tell me which one to select or would you need the phone or more information to know? My brother set it up initially but he isn't available atm and I am excited about this new development and want to test it.

From what he told me, the 16GB of internal storage is intact, but the 64GB SD card was partitioned so I had 43GB free for media and the rest for apps. I downloaded an app called My Drives and this partition (should be around 20 GB) doesn't appear in it, but my brother said this was to be expected. Cheers!

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 10, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Set "auto save?" to "On" and it won't ask.

Ahh, nice, thanks. I knew there must be a setting in there I was missing.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
Android's location reporting battery life is finally fixed!!!

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/01/google-play-services-41.html

Edit: Android Police apparently has mirrors of the update if you don't want to wait for it to be pushed to you:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...eview-and-more/

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Frozen-Solid posted:

Android's location reporting battery life is finally fixed!!!

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2014/01/google-play-services-41.html
This is a rather bold conclusion to reach from a single mention in a blog post mostly about other things.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

fuckpot posted:

My Galaxy Note 3 was recently rooted and link2sd installed so some of my beefier games could be stored on an SD card. The games worked fine initially but later all of a sudden stopped, with an error message saying something to the effect of an application tried to access something or other that it didn't have permission to access. I thought it might be a virus scanner or something but deleting that didn't work.

However I was just reading through the thread and I saw a strong recommendation against battery saving apps and task killers. I went and uninstalled the one I had and the second I did a popup appeared asking if I wanted to grant link2sd shell access (I think) which I did. A message appeared directly after that saying it had been successful.

So I went into link2d to test if it worked but I am prompted to 'Select the file system of your SD card's second partition'. The options are ext2, ext3, ext4, and FAT32/FAT16. I know what the FAT things are, but I have no idea what the other ones mean. Can anyone tell me which one to select or would you need the phone or more information to know? My brother set it up initially but he isn't available atm and I am excited about this new development and want to test it.

From what he told me, the 16GB of internal storage is intact, but the 64GB SD card was partitioned so I had 43GB free for media and the rest for apps. I downloaded an app called My Drives and this partition (should be around 20 GB) doesn't appear in it, but my brother said this was to be expected. Cheers!
I don't know why Google keeps saying that SD cards are dumb.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

fuckpot posted:

ext2-4 are also filesystems like FAT. I have no idea what you should choose, though (probably the option that doesn't require this much loving around to run some games).

Your apps probably can't see the the partitions because normally Android doesn't use these filesystems.

Also stop using task killers and virus scanners.

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it

LastInLine posted:

I don't know why Google keeps saying that SD cards are dumb.

I dunno, I tend to agree with them. I have owned half a dozen SD card capable phones in the last 5 years and the SD cards always have problems. In a perfect world you could carry loads around with unlimited content at your disposal, but it never worked like that.

On top of that a good portion of stuff is in the cloud anyway and any stuff that isn't on your phone can be downloaded when you are near wifi.

I think SD cards are the modern equivalent of disks or CDs, sure people still use them but there are better alternatives.

eviljimmy fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 10, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eviljimmy posted:

I dunno, I tend to agree with them. I have owned half a dozen SD card capable phones in the last 5 years and the SD cards always have problems. In a perfect world you could carry loads around with unlimited content at your disposal, but it never worked like that.

On top of that a good portion of stuff is in the cloud anyway and any stuff that isn't on your phone can be downloaded when you are near wifi.

I think SD cards are the modern equivalent of disks or CDs, sure people still use them but there are better alternatives.
I was being sarcastic. Anyone who could read that and not immediately say, "Oh that's why they removed SD card support from Android four versions ago and why it's idiotic to put them back in," has a brain disorder.

Also what kind of person still uses optical media in 2014? Do computers even still have drives for them?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I like to store 20gb worth of music on my SD card and used to have a three-hour commute every day.

Cloud-based storage is definitely the way of the future, but it's not really practical while telcos are still able to charge an arm and a leg for meagre amounts of data.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Also what kind of person still uses optical media in 2014? Do computers even still have drives for them?

Yeah no one uses bluray or DVD anymore!
What a dumb question.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Yeah no one uses bluray or DVD anymore!
What a dumb question.
Here in the future I haven't had a need to use an optical drive in years.

You guys are going to love it when you get here!

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
You guys ever use the tripit app? Or is there maybe a better alternative?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

I'm looking for something like woofi, which turns the wifi radio on and off based on the phone's location. But I want it to also be able to enable/disable LTE, the ringtone/vibrate, etc. Does anything like that exist?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

ante posted:

I like to store 20gb worth of music on my SD card and used to have a three-hour commute every day.

Cloud-based storage is definitely the way of the future, but it's not really practical while telcos are still able to charge an arm and a leg for meagre amounts of data.

What this guy said. I have 40gb of music on my SD card. Why would I want to have to pay to stream it? What about if I'm trying to preserve the phone battery and have it in flight mode? What about, for that matter, if I'm on a flight?

I imagine this doesn't occur to people in the US much, but roaming is also a thing. Most countries are significantly smaller than the US; try traveling around Europe with your streaming service and let me know what your phone bill comes to.

Until phones come with 64gb or more of space as standard then there are extremely good reasons for using SD cards. ”But streaming...!" might be what Google would like the answer to be, but unless you're lucky enough to spend the majority of your time in an urban area with good service and decent broadband for when you're at home, you don't travel much and never leave the country, then it's not an answer which has any merit.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Craptacular posted:

I'm looking for something like woofi, which turns the wifi radio on and off based on the phone's location. But I want it to also be able to enable/disable LTE, the ringtone/vibrate, etc. Does anything like that exist?
Tasker.

rolleyes posted:

What this guy said. I have 40gb of music on my SD card. Why would I want to have to pay to stream it? What about if I'm trying to preserve the phone battery and have it in flight mode? What about, for that matter, if I'm on a flight?

I imagine this doesn't occur to people in the US much, but roaming is also a thing. Most countries are significantly smaller than the US; try traveling around Europe with your streaming service and let me know what your phone bill comes to.

Until phones come with 64gb or more of space as standard then there are extremely good reasons for using SD cards. ”But streaming...!" might be what Google would like the answer to be, but unless you're lucky enough to spend the majority of your time in an urban area with good service and decent broadband for when you're at home, you don't travel much and never leave the country then it's not an answer which has any merit.
Google also seems to be stuck in this Mountain View "bubble" where wifi (and especially cell service) exist everywhere and is freely accessible.

ante fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jan 11, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ante posted:

Google also seems to be stuck in this Mountain View "bubble" where wifi (and especially cell service) exist everywhere and is freely accessible.
I'm in one of the most underdeveloped states on the smallest national carrier in America and I would describe wifi and cell coverage as ubiquitous. Having traveled in Europe though it is pretty obvious they're not on board with the whole "free wifi literally everywhere" thing but in America it's pretty rare to be without one or the other.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Congratulations you spend most of your time around wifi or your data plan is sufficient to cover streaming music for long periods of time, therefore all SD cards are stupid.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Carrier data caps make SD cards useful still. Anyone who can't see that is divorced from reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
They make large storage capacities useful, but I'm not sure about SD cards - there just need to be more reasonably priced 64GB options.

• Locked thread