Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Monkey Fracas posted:

Man that's lazy. I still look forward to the deluge of "lol he is a fat fat man" cartoons if he's remotely involved in the primary in 2 years.

That's the last Muse album I could really get into

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Holy poo poo a not-terrible Rall. It would be a Bors comic if Rall could draw. The last panel hits pretty hard.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Is it just me, or has Bennett really been phoning it in lately? I mean, I realize it's a slow news week, and I don't expect him to knock them all out of the park, but c'mon.

This is a pretty good one. It's a clearly formulated commentary on a contemporary issue, that's all politoons need aspire to.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What offends me the most about kirschen is how his just askin' questions mascot there is practically creaming his pants at the thought of a racially pure israel. The idea of pushing them into the ocean is giving him such a boner right now.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

JaggerMcDagger posted:

What did Christie even do with a bridge?

"Ethnic cleansing seems logical when you think about it."

I wonder how much bile he spewed when Israel pulled the settlements out of Gaza.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

Is it just me, or has Bennett really been phoning it in lately? I mean, I realize it's a slow news week, and I don't expect him to knock them all out of the park, but c'mon.

I thought his "stripped" comic from earlier this week was pretty great.

WampaLord posted:

Holy poo poo a not-terrible Rall. It would be a Bors comic if Rall could draw. The last panel hits pretty hard.

How does it hit hard? It's singling out the Clinton pre-campaign for a Thing All Politicians Do. There's no use of visual metaphor, no layered meaning, the company names aren't chosen in reference to anything, and the third panel doesn't make any sense. Rall is criticizing companies for not doing that thing they're legally not allowed to do unless it would benefit their shaeholders. Bors might use the same general conceit in a comic, but he would make it actually go somewhere, or draw some sort of contrast.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

(Was it a goon who posted this? The Tumblr dude also mentioned that the cartoon Cagle made was nearly identical to the Bors's "I seem to be drawing this later every year" toon. I can't imagine who else would follow editorial cartoonists with such obsession except us.)

Curious about this too. He's the author of Shortpacked, which I used to read regularly, so I was surprised when he started following AGC.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

duz posted:

Dude, that's David Willis.

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize.

Who's that?

Saint Sputnik posted:

Curious about this too. He's the author of Shortpacked, which I used to read regularly, so I was surprised when he started following AGC.

Oh, okay that makes sense. I was wondering why my friend was posting editorial cartoons on his Tumblr when he had never seemed to care much about those things before, but if the source is a pretty popular artist than it wouldn't be surprising he took notice.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013
New Tom Tomorrow is the best one I've seen in a while:

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

pd187 posted:

New Tom Tomorrow is the best one I've seen in a while:

I agree, this is a very good Tom Tomorrow. The resolution is high enough that I'm not straining my eyes for the all the words, and the repetitive structure really hits the point that he's making.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking through old Youtube videos and stumbled upon this gem from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxw_diMcZ3k

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh, my bad. I didn't realize.

Who's that?

Willis was much like this thread's Favorite Conservative Brony and had a comic called Roomies! published in the IU Newspaper and a few other locations. Growing up in Indiana and living with a conservative, fundamentalist mother, he was a different person when he was in college and his comics showed it at times. Unlike Ralph and Chuck though, Willis eventually gained some talent and became a decent artist with opinions that transcended what his mom and bible told him. His claim to fame was Shortpacked! which gave us a few gems such as these.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

That fuckin' flame-fiddle. "If you don't employ anyone, you don't deserve money."- A cartoonist.

Wouldn't there be lots of jobs putting out the fires and rebuilding Rome.

Fledgling Gulps
Jul 4, 2007

I'll meet you in Meereen,
we'll grub out.
Well at that point I think it was all slave labor. And all I remember about Roman fire brigades was Crassus exploiting fires to buy plots cheaply.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

euphronius posted:

Wouldn't there be lots of jobs putting out the fires and rebuilding Rome.

Nero helped put out the fires, in some accounts he helped do so personally.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Spiffster posted:

I was looking through old Youtube videos and stumbled upon this gem from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxw_diMcZ3k

Willis was much like this thread's Favorite Conservative Brony and had a comic called Roomies! published in the IU Newspaper and a few other locations. Growing up in Indiana and living with a conservative, fundamentalist mother, he was a different person when he was in college and his comics showed it at times. Unlike Ralph and Chuck though, Willis eventually gained some talent and became a decent artist with opinions that transcended what his mom and bible told him. His claim to fame was Shortpacked! which gave us a few gems such as these.

I skimmed your post and saw "which gave us a few gems such as these." thinking you were being sarcastic. I was about to huff and puff but then I actually read your post.

I liked those comics. Especially that starfire one, it is pretty nuts.

Edit: reworded a bit.

itskage fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 10, 2014

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Spiffster posted:

What sort of lovely opinions did he espouse, I must wonder? I mean, don't get me wrong, we're here to talk about current cartoons and it's *great* that he grew out of it...But umm...we don't really come here to talk about *good* cartoons, do we?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Fledgling Gulps posted:

Well at that point I think it was all slave labor. And all I remember about Roman fire brigades was Crassus exploiting fires to buy plots cheaply.

All these pesky regulations holding back the economy! If people want to work as slaves, the government shouldn't stand in the way!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

All these pesky regulations holding back the economy! If people want to work as slaves, the government shouldn't stand in the way!

"Indentured servitude"- Lets get the terms right.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

itskage posted:

It's refering to this, by the way. Warning: is (attempting to be) sexy.

Some other character makes a joke about getting laid with Starfire for no reason in a situation where such a comment is stupider than normal.

It's an actual comic.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Yeah it's not just her outfit but the way she's portrayed, which is pretty far out there even for your typical comics that are already pretty bad.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

itskage posted:

I skimmed your post and saw "which gave us a few gems such as these." thinking you were being sarcastic. I was about to huff and puff but then I actually read your post.

Sorry, Didn't mean to make you think the worst :blush:

E-Tank posted:

What sort of lovely opinions did he espouse, I must wonder? I mean, don't get me wrong, we're here to talk about current cartoons and it's *great* that he grew out of it...But umm...we don't really come here to talk about *good* cartoons, do we?

Making me dig through his archive? Ok. Here are a few from the late 90's

There are more, such as one of his characters loosing her virginity outside of marriage and instantly regretting it, but I don't want to dive to drat deep.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Spiffster posted:

Making me dig through his archive? Ok. Here are a few from the late 90's

There are more, such as one of his characters loosing her virginity outside of marriage and instantly regretting it, but I don't want to dive to drat deep.

Skimming this post made me think these were early "Ralph and Chuck" strips, and the "I think you will find that liberal atheists are the dumb hypocrites!!" formula did nothing to change that misapprehension.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

How does it hit hard? It's singling out the Clinton pre-campaign for a Thing All Politicians Do. There's no use of visual metaphor, no layered meaning, the company names aren't chosen in reference to anything, and the third panel doesn't make any sense. Rall is criticizing companies for not doing that thing they're legally not allowed to do unless it would benefit their shaeholders. Bors might use the same general conceit in a comic, but he would make it actually go somewhere, or draw some sort of contrast.

There are people who genuinely think that a Clinton presidency would magically fix things like the low minimum wage and the US's tendency for gratuitous military intervention. This cartoon is pointing out that she's as beholden to moneyed interests as any other politician, to the sort of naive person who might think she isn't. (Ted Rall sees himself as on a crusade against Animal Nuz-style vapid democratic cheerleading. Which, to Tedd Rall, is everyone left of center except Tedd Rall.)

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Afraid of Audio posted:

Livingtrope posted:

I think Taylor Jones may be attracted to Christie cicadas.

Ya hosed up (you linked to the Imgur page, not the image itself), you want:

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
Wait, Kim Jong-Un's uncle is Edward Snowden?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Spiffster posted:

Given the amount of character development in both Roomies and then It's Walky, it's surreal to see that called out as being somehow Willis' personal viewpoint.

Seriously, they're some of the best of the older webcomics out there, despite the atrocious early art.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Xenoveritas posted:

Ya hosed up (you linked to the Imgur page, not the image itself), you want:

Whoops! :doh:

Thanks for the heads up!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

E-Tank posted:

Sure we do, we talk about Bennett and Bors and I'm sure there are others that are good.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kenlon posted:

Given the amount of character development in both Roomies and then It's Walky, it's surreal to see that called out as being somehow Willis' personal viewpoint.

Seriously, they're some of the best of the older webcomics out there, despite the atrocious early art.

Please don't take it as an attack, I even like his old stuff despite the weird odd comic now and then, but here is a blog post related to the BCE one.

David Willis posted:

In case yesterday’s Rebecca St. James poster didn’t clue you in, I was an adorable little fundie back in 1997, and all of the overactive persecution complex that implies. Look at me, striking back at secularism!

This strip was the first I’d ever received feedback for. A professor or a T.A. of some stripe tried to explain to me via email that nobody was out to get me. It was a really long email and it countered an entire lifetime’s worth of ingrained beliefs, and so I didn’t pay it much heed. Whatever, mister guy, you think you know so much just because you study things. I’ll have you know that my paranoia is powered by THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, thank you very much.

He's also mentioned that Joyce's strict upbringing was influenced with things he really had to deal with.

Edit: didn't highlight his fundie comment for some reason.

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jan 10, 2014

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Josef bugman posted:

Nero helped put out the fires, in some accounts he helped do so personally.
Yeah Nero really got the shaft in history, by all accounts he was well liked by the common people and hated by the rich upper class and this of course lead to the historians after his death to mudsling his name for favor from the current regime.

That and being demonized by Christians also didn't help his image.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When I was younger, I seriously drew a comic book where the heroes found a cure for the dreaded gay. The art was probably worse than Ralph and Chuck, if you can believe it.

I'd share, but that was almost twenty years ago, and I am pretty sure I burned it and shot the ashes into space.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

When I was younger, I seriously drew a comic book where the heroes found a cure for the dreaded gay. The art was probably worse than Ralph and Chuck, if you can believe it.

I'd share, but that was almost twenty years ago, and I am pretty sure I burned it and shot the ashes into space.

At least it wasn't derived from your blood, creating a vaccine.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Rorus Raz posted:

Can't be any worse than the stuff that actual political cartoonists produce.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

How do you pay benefits for anything? Aren't you unemployed and spending all of your time sitting in some dirt wearing a sun dress?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It makes me so angry that artists like Bors have to struggle whereas Kirschen has drawn like a seven year old for decades without an iota of improvement and has made a decent living off it.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

JaggerMcDagger posted:

What did Christie even do with a bridge?

You know what, that's right. There should be a one-state solution. All Palestinians should have full citizenship rights in Israel, including voting, property ownership, and military service. The Palestinian Authority and Hamas should be political parties in the state of Israel.

Thomas13206
Jun 18, 2013

Sir Rolo posted:

How do you pay benefits for anything? Aren't you unemployed and spending all of your time sitting in some dirt wearing a sun dress?

Is she implying "teach a man to fish" was said by Jesus Christ (or William Shakespeare)?? Between this cartoon and the earlier Lester that had Pope Francis scrubbing out the latter half of the phrase, I think right-wingers literally think that's from the Holy Bible and not from (*googles*) Anne Isabella Thackeray Ritchie's 1885 novel Mrs. Dymond.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Looking at Willis's comics, it's common for people to have different political beliefs when they were younger.

It works for reverse as well. Chuck Asay claims that he used to be more left-wing back when he was young (he claims his family were mostly left-leaning), even voting for Democrats in elections. Eventually he became a born-again Christian and started leaning right.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Rolo posted:

Is he one of those who buys into that being a bible verse? Since when did Muir care about religion? And on top of that, The quote isn't even a bible verse :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Every time a conservative trots out that "Give a man a fish..." line, I ask them if that means they're in favor of free college education and job training for everyone.

• Locked thread