Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Daedleh posted:

And tonights completion:

Just so you know, I'm stealing your Cryxjack scheme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nighttheii
Nov 21, 2007
hi
Painted Orboros mans.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

Man, I wish I had bought into that - those would be really handy for my Necromunda gang that I'm working on. :(

You can buy them outside of the kickstarter now, although they're more expensive.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't do that, you'll die!

I did it once. I spent 2-3 months just...playing the game with a painted army. It was wrong.

I've since bought a bunch of stuff I don't need. I feel much better now.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
So I used to play 40k with this dude and his son every weekend, then the dude deployed. His son still shows up to play but he is bummed his dad isnt around. So I'm sculpting this Terminator with his dads face so he can take to the field with his old man. Got them back to back so they can be protecting each other. Can't wait to see the kids face this weekend.

I know the dads/sons army is based in snow. Any tips for making the snow look super good. I picked up some citadel texture snow paint. Anyone ever use it before? I like the armageddon dust but I'm just curious to find out how the snow paint comes out.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Standard bearer from a unit of banes that I just finished.

Getting a non-dark photo is still table flippingly hard.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I hated every second of painting that loving standard bearer.

Then again I've painted like 3 Cryx armies by now and that poo poo gets real old after a while.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Throb Robinson posted:

So I used to play 40k with this dude and his son every weekend, then the dude deployed. His son still shows up to play but he is bummed his dad isnt around. So I'm sculpting this Terminator with his dads face so he can take to the field with his old man. Got them back to back so they can be protecting each other. Can't wait to see the kids face this weekend.

I know the dads/sons army is based in snow. Any tips for making the snow look super good. I picked up some citadel texture snow paint. Anyone ever use it before? I like the armageddon dust but I'm just curious to find out how the snow paint comes out.

After you give it to the son you're obligated to sleep with the dad's wife (it's the military way).

Jokes aside, that's really, really cool man. I use GW's snow flock and it's worked well. I base it however I need (rocks, dead grass tufts, debris, bodies, whatever...) then I paint the remaining base white. I take a couple of brush dabs full of white paint in a mix of about 40/60 to 50/50 water/Elmer's glue. Brush it on, spread your flock, let dry and set. Then knock off the excess and repeat. Two full layers gives the impression of a fresh, decently heavy snow.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 10, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Your white balance is still off but it's a lot better.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Your white balance is still off but it's a lot better.

Yea, I've yet to figure out how to see actual my white balance in Gimp. I found the levels and color balance tools and just sort of eyeballed it into looking less bad.

Camera has a phone book for a manual so not sure how to fix it on the camera yet. Some lunchtime reading.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Minitaire-using peeps! I have the medium needle in my Sotar (which I THINK is 0.4mm). I have the fine needle (0.2mm) as well but it's a pain to switch, does Minitaire still shoot nicely through the fine needle?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I bought new brushes today and only realized how terrible my old ones were when I started using them :stare:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Minitaire-using peeps! I have the medium needle in my Sotar (which I THINK is 0.4mm). I have the fine needle (0.2mm) as well but it's a pain to switch, does Minitaire still shoot nicely through the fine needle?

I spray Minitaire all the time through the stock Sotar needle and it works fine (they are both made by Badger). I can tell when it starts to clog a bit but all it takes is a quick scrub with a toothbrush to clear the exit area. The needle has no real guard to speak of so paint only collects on the needle point itself really.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 10, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Just went to change the needle on my Master G22 came-free-with-compressor airbrush. This requires a small wrench to change the nozzle. As soon as I turned it at all, instead of unscrewing it simply sheared straight off the threaded part, leaving the threads in and, well, now the brush is garbage. You get what you pay for folks. I'm ordering a Patriot 105 as we speak.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Just went to change the needle on my Master G22 came-free-with-compressor airbrush. This requires a small wrench to change the nozzle. As soon as I turned it at all, instead of unscrewing it simply sheared straight off the threaded part, leaving the threads in and, well, now the brush is garbage. You get what you pay for folks. I'm ordering a Patriot 105 as we speak.

This is incredibly easy to do on all makes of airbrush. I did it to my first one simply by overtightening. Which also came free with the compressor hah.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

serious gaylord posted:

This is incredibly easy to do on all makes of airbrush. I did it to my first one simply by overtightening. Which also came free with the compressor hah.

Yeah, which is why Badgers are nice for not having screw-in nozzles at all.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Huh. I fully disassembled my master brush last night, the larger of the two gravity fed brushes that came with the pump. There's a little wrench included, but I didn't need it at all, everything came apart quite nicely and nothing was more than finger tight. Was able to clean it up real nice like that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Bad Munki posted:

Huh. I fully disassembled my master brush last night, the larger of the two gravity fed brushes that came with the pump. There's a little wrench included, but I didn't need it at all, everything came apart quite nicely and nothing was more than finger tight. Was able to clean it up real nice like that.

You only need the wrench to take the actual tiny nozzle out, which you only really need to do when you change needle sizes. Masters have that tiny fragile nozzle threaded to screw directly in to the head, whereas Badgers have a drop in nozzle that then gets the head screwed down over it. Which is a better idea than exposing this smaller-than-a-grain-of-rice piece of metal to torque.

The G22 has been pissing me off lately anyway since I discovered it has a little overhang under the paint cup that you can't get to to clean so it clogs all the time. I was probably looking for an excuse to upgrade it anyway.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ah, you're right, I didn't take it COMPLETELY apart. Good thing, too, I guess.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
The new 'Nid codex might suck, and bitterness and schadenfruede might abound, but these drat tanks won't paint themselves!

And, here it is with it's occupants, a plasma suicide squad.

I have not had the opportunity to hit it with the Dullcoat, yet.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Sweet shading on those top panels!

Does anyone have a recommendation for an agitator to use with Vallejo Liquid Gold, that won't interact with the alcohol or kludge up the metal flakes? Shaking those pots up after they've been sitting for a while ranks with removing-mold-lines-from-Bonesium on my list of least favorite activities. (I was considering using some small glass beads, but haven't been arsed to look found any that will fit the pot or leave enough room to avoid displacing too much liquid.)

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

glass beads should do it... if you've got any Reaper Masters Series, that's the agitator they use. I could've sworn chain arts & craft stores had small enough beads in their beads sections.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Reaper uses metal agitators, pretty sure.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yup, and they're in the shape of skulls.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Okay how the gently caress do I paint the eyes on a Pink/Blue Horror (currently painting a Blue Scribes model) because holy poo poo. It was fickle enough trying to get the teeth to show.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Cyclomatic posted:

Standard bearer from a unit of banes that I just finished.

Getting a non-dark photo is still table flippingly hard.

Get a nice bright white sheet of paper and hold it at an angle in front of the model, but still off camera. You will be amazed how much it lights up the front of your subject.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Gluing finecast can be infuriating.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

JoshTheStampede posted:

I did this on a $200 grex. I was instructed to stick a toothpick deep into the hole where the threaded metal was stuck. Once the toothpick was tightly shoved in I rotated it out and the ruined thread unscrewed with the toothpick.

Then I noticed that the replacement nozzle cost more than an entire China airbrush set.

That is why I recommend the cheap ones for newbies (like me) since the bigger part once you start is figuring how not to break it and how to mix paint, not the eyelash thin precision of the brush.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Okay how the gently caress do I paint the eyes on a Pink/Blue Horror (currently painting a Blue Scribes model) because holy poo poo. It was fickle enough trying to get the teeth to show.

This really depends. Are you asking how to paint "real" eyes on them? If so, there are plenty of eye painting tutorials online. Or are you asking how to create a passable paint job on well over 100 eyes?

These are what my Screamers and Pink Horrors look like. No realistic eyes. No pupils or irises. Just a solid sclera done with multiple layers of thin paint that trades realism for efficiency and brings in a color that stands out a bit. Sometimes it's beneficial to take shortcuts. Some of the Pink Horror eyes are going to be impossible to paint a full eye on. Screamers have pretty big eyes and I've seen a lot of amazing Screamers with feline or reptile eyes but I like the solid color. It's more unsettling and daemonic.

I honestly rarely paint eyes and if I do it's just a solid color. On my Tyranids which have really sunken eyes covered by their head crests I didn't even bother painting them at all. If I was painting IG I would save the realistic eyes for my HQs and Commanders and such. Yeah it's lazy but I'm more interested in getting a models done in a timely fashion that look decent from table top distance. Sure you'll be able to notice shortcuts if you pick them up and examine them. But from table top distance, not so much.

natetimm posted:

Gluing finecast can be infuriating.

Really? Finecast and superglue always bond almost instantaneously for me. I'm pretty hardcore about toothbrush scrubbing and scraping and filing down Finecast though. I find plastic + plastic cement to be far more aggravating. You think it's set enough so you put it down and 10 minutes later your arms have drooped down.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 11, 2014

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Pacheeco posted:

This really depends. Are you asking how to paint "real" eyes on them? If so, there are plenty of eye painting tutorials online. Or are you asking how to create a passable paint job on well over 100 eyes?

These are what my Screamers and Pink Horrors look like. No realistic eyes. No pupils or irises. Just a solid sclera done with multiple layers of thin paint that trades realism for efficiency and brings in a color that stands out a bit. Sometimes it's beneficial to take shortcuts. Some of the Pink Horror eyes are going to be impossible to paint a full eye on. Screamers have pretty big eyes and I've seen a lot of amazing Screamers with feline or reptile eyes but I like the solid color. It's more unsettling and daemonic.

I honestly rarely paint eyes and if I do it's just a solid color. On my Tyranids which have really sunken eyes covered by their head crests I didn't even bother painting them at all. If I was painting IG I would save the realistic eyes for my HQs and Commanders and such. Yeah it's lazy but I'm more interested in getting a models done in a timely fashion that look decent from table top distance. Sure you'll be able to notice shortcuts if you pick them up and examine them. But from table top distance, not so much.

Really? Finecast and superglue always bond almost instantaneously for me. I'm pretty hardcore about toothbrush scrubbing and scraping and filing down Finecast though. I find plastic + plastic cement to be far more aggravating. You think it's set enough so you put it down and 10 minutes later your arms have drooped down.

I started with plastic glue, then figured out that it doesn't work properly from other posts on the net. I switched back to superglue, which is lovely in itself because I am in love with that needle applicator on the plastic glue. Anyway, I'm doing the Khorne Chaos Lord on Juggernaut and it just seems like everything takes so long. I pretty much had to decide "these are the two things that will set right now and then I will wait" a bunch of times. It's glued completely now and I'm pissed I didn't pin it because some of the glue points on this model in particular are just ridiculous, especially the saddle. The saddle has this inset that is only as big as the Juggernaut's spine and sits on that instead of a good, wide flat seal on the back. Pretty much the center of gravity on this model is literally its weakest part. It also doesn't help that I put together a very similar plastic skullcrusher kit last week with 3 times the units that took maybe 1/3 the time because they were designed SO much better.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Even though Black Templars are like 90% black I am having a pain in the rear end time getting it right compared to Ultramarines. Happy with the custom banner I've made for the kid though. Happy with the Terminator I cobbled out of the Dreadknight leftovers. Just need to get up early and finish it before game day tommorow.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Being all black makes the way harder to paint, not easier. Black is kind of a bitch to make look natural.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Yeah the short answer is that all of the areas on your black model that are reflecting light need to be various shades of gray. Have fun.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It depends on what you want your black to look like, of course, but I've gotten black that I like the look of by painting pure black and highlighting with a medium or dark gray. Of course, there's also a lot to be said for the school of painting a dark gray and then washing it black to get a "black" look with some shading to it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
You can help set the scene they're in by going from black to a dark brown (inside) or dark blue (outside) to gray.

JoshTheStampede posted:

They used to. Now they use little beads. The skulls were just too expensive.

If you have the old Pro Paints, they're great bits for basing.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Pacheeco posted:

I painted all my different screamers with solid eye colours because it was impossible to get them all to line up without it looking like the ultimate boss-eyed monster.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/327565

http://www.coolminiornot.com/312162

I prefer the look anyway: think it makes them look further from 'normal' and more 'all seeing'.

Lord Humongus
Apr 10, 2009

ice ice baby :toot:
Hey, I've started to paint necrons for my first 40k army. Is it okay to paint a lord this way? Does it look good? I tried for a freshly risen look and It's my first time painting these. I haven't painted the eyes or assembled the staff yet.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I suck at painting but typically (I think) you want your characters to pop more than regular dudes. Your red shading actually makes him darker than the rest to my untrained eyes.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

JoshTheStampede posted:

I had the exact same thing happen in the exact same way on my BD-130 last weekend. Luckily I had a spare airbrush body that had a broken trigger mech, so I was able to make a fully functioning one out of the pair of broken ones.
Good to know that it was my ham fisted approach rather than just a lack of quality of product, and as someone else pointed out, gently caress it, the airbrush was £15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

I decided to give mine eyes. Awesome models, really easy to paint and you can do it how ever you want because ~daemons~!

:3:
Red on the entire eye, then thinned yellow in the center then a black vertical slit. Tip, feel free to have he slit not go all the way to the top so it looks like it is looking forward with an eyelid over the bottom half. So they are not just looking into the sun.

• Locked thread