Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Belgian movie is great and you should watch it if you have any interest in foreign or feminist cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

LimburgLimbo posted:

You've never heard of The Sound of Music, Pan's Labyrinth, The Pianist, Trainspotting, A Clockwork Orange, Life is Beautiful, etc.?

Edit: Yeah, and Amelie

Can't make sense of the Portuguese synopsis of their top contender, and the movie poster is even more WTF.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Darth Various posted:

abunchofmoviesyou'veneverheardof.jpg

They screwed up the Danish movie. The Celebration (Festen) is not The Hunt (Jagten) though they are both excellent and tackle abuse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

EightBit posted:

Textures from 3d models aren't applied with any kind of projection, though. The coordinates on the mesh are usually also paired with a texture coordinate, which usually means that the projection is non-uniform.

That is not quite correct, faces have to be projected from their original geometry, and the same methods may be used for projecting from quasi-spherical meshes as in map making. The thing about UV maps is that not all data must correspond with one system of projection since isolated islands of triangles may be treated according to separate rules.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Darth Various posted:

Of course Scotland is loving trainspotting...

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
In Bruges takes place in Belgium right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

rscott posted:

In Bruges takes place in Belgium right?

It does, and it's scored at 8. The question is whether it was actually shot there; for the same reason I would have expected France's film to be Saving Private Ryan, but while parts of it were shot there, I guess it was mostly shot in the British Isles.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

steinrokkan posted:

That is not quite correct, faces have to be projected from their original geometry, and the same methods may be used for projecting from quasi-spherical meshes as in map making. The thing about UV maps is that not all data must correspond with one system of projection since isolated islands of triangles may be treated according to separate rules.

That's what I was saying though, it's not necessarily done algorithmically or else you would get varying levels of detail on the rendered mesh. The amount of tweaking that goes into it depends on the artist, but you're probably not going to just poo poo out an automatically mapped face texture and call it done.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

Carthag posted:

They screwed up the Danish movie. The Celebration (Festen) is not The Hunt (Jagten) though they are both excellent and tackle abuse.

They have the title of the Hungarian film wrong as well - it's Satantango, one word, not possessive in Hungarian or in English.

Mu Cow
Oct 26, 2003

Never seen it, but I appreciate that the top movie from Malta is "Malta Story".

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Darth Various posted:

In the Name of the Father is really good and features Daniel Day-Lewis in one of his best roles.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Incidentally several of the films that haven't been mentioned yet are probably good viewing for D&Ders if drama is up your alley. The Lives of Others and The Shop on Main Street are pretty good dramas focusing the Stasi and Slovakian collaboration with the Nazis in the Holocaust respectively.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
It'd be funny if below The Shop on Main Street was The Shop around the Corner.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Incidentally several of the films that haven't been mentioned yet are probably good viewing for D&Ders if drama is up your alley. The Lives of Others and The Shop on Main Street are pretty good dramas focusing the Stasi and Slovakian collaboration with the Nazis in the Holocaust respectively.
Or you could watch the Belarusian holocaust film Come and See. Not exactly light viewing plz be warned. :smith:
Part 1
Part 2
Roger Ebert's Great Movie writeup about it if you don't have time.

Budzilla fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 9, 2014

PIZZA
Jun 22, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

It does, and it's scored at 8. The question is whether it was actually shot there; for the same reason I would have expected France's film to be Saving Private Ryan, but while parts of it were shot there, I guess it was mostly shot in the British Isles.

I would be surprised if it hadn't been shot *in Bruges* because of the importance of at least one local landmark (bell tower) and probably others I don't remember. Following from that, I'd be surprised if they hadn't just gone ahead and filmed the whole thing there since it presumably would've cost more to film in multiple locations. I think the map might've missed this one. Also, that movie deserves more than an 8 IMO.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I love good beer and so does a good friend of mine. At a really nice bar, they asked for our preferences on glasses. So I did the, "One gay beer for my gay friend and one normal beer for me because I am normal" line. The bartender was shocked and then slowly a smile crept on his face and he said, "In Bruges reference?" Smiling back, I told him I'd never quote a movie that good, I'm just violently homophobic. It was a good joke.

Bruges, it's a fairytale loving town, isn't it?

My brother was in Brugge just after it filmed and said they were super proud of it, advertising it everywhere.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Bruges is basically a museum where people happen to live in, but it's very sterile. Ghent can offer you very similar architectural landmarks, but is a bigger city and feels much more alive.

Also, what peeved off a lot of people was that you don't hear a single word of Dutch in 'In Bruges' (IIRC you do hear French, but that makes almost no sense since Bruges is in Flanders). Hollywood has this weird thing where they often gently caress up really obvious stuff when movies are set in smaller European countries.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Leuven is bustling with students on weekdays and is rather similar, too, being an important medieval town and all that.

On the subject of Belgium and maps:

The darker the colour, the more French-speaking people live there.

Dark Red is Brussels, which is bilingual.

Rest of the map is strictly speaking in Flanders, which is Dutch-speaking (except a few of those municipalities, which were supposed to be temporarily bilingual but we never decided how long they should be, so they're been for the better part of a generation now.)

This map has been a great cause of social unrest and the letters BHV (Brussels-Halle-Vilvoorde) can always ignite fierce debate at the local bar.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Literal translations of Chinese names for European countries.

(note that the meaning doesn't really mean much, i.e. Germany isn't really considered that moral)

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

computer parts posted:

(note that the meaning doesn't really mean much, i.e. Germany isn't really considered that moral)

Why are Russia and Belarus (White Russia) unchanged?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kavak posted:

Why are Russia and Belarus (White Russia) unchanged?

Because the literal translation of Belarus is "[character for white] + Russia" and Russia is "Russian Land".

e: The same thing happens with Iceland.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Maybe given their proximity in the far east there's a descriptor for caucasian slavic speaking folks as Russians and adding white as a descriptor is pretty easy since unlike blue/green or orange/red, white is pretty drat well defined? I doubt it, but hey I've posted dumber poo poo, today even.

e: And that makes sense.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

computer parts posted:

This raises so many questions. Why are the Swedes so lucky in war? Haven't they been neutral for centuries? What does Bulgaria have to do with insurance? When was the last time Italy was associated with successful business? Why call Switzerland "Swiss Scholar" and not just "Swiss"? "Rub Accept Brother"?

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think most of the names are chosen to sound vaguely like the country's name in its own language with little to no regard for their meaning.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Why are the Swedes so lucky in war? Haven't they been neutral for centuries?
That's what their soldiers lucky.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Frostwerks posted:

Maybe given their proximity in the far east there's a descriptor for caucasian slavic speaking folks as Russians and adding white as a descriptor is pretty easy since unlike blue/green or orange/red, white is pretty drat well defined? I doubt it, but hey I've posted dumber poo poo, today even.

e: And that makes sense.

I think historically the West also called Belarus "White Russia."

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This raises so many questions. Why are the Swedes so lucky in war?

Tell that to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
To clarify, Chinese writing doesn't allow for transcribing meaningless strings of sounds, so foreign words are written by writing a string of Chinese words that sound sorta like the foreign word. It's like if we wrote say, Israel and Syria as Is Real and See Rear, or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Ammat The Ankh posted:

This raises so many questions. Why are the Swedes so lucky in war? Haven't they been neutral for centuries? What does Bulgaria have to do with insurance? When was the last time Italy was associated with successful business? Why call Switzerland "Swiss Scholar" and not just "Swiss"? "Rub Accept Brother"?

When China writes down foreign words they do it by phonetically spelling it with similar words in Chinese, that, if used as Chinese, are absolute gibberish.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I think historically the West also called Belarus "White Russia."

I'm pretty sure that's because that's what Belarus actually means.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

muike posted:

When China writes down foreign words they do it by phonetically spelling it with similar words in Chinese, that, if used as Chinese, are absolute gibberish.
Not always -- Iceland ("Ice Island") is a good counter-example. In general all names are transliterations, and some names try to incorporate characters relevant to the countries (or flatter them -- America is "Beautiful Country").

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Dusseldorf posted:

Tell that to Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner.

Roland was from Norway.
:goonsay:

Thanks for the stuff about Chinese writing, I kind've figured they'd bordered Russia for so long they'd developed their own character for it.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

The luckiest soldier is the one who never has to go to war.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

muike posted:

Yeah but they kinda mix the phonetic version with the [some character that sounds like one syllable] + country thing.

So like Italy is: 意大利 Yi Da Li, which sounds like Italy, or 西班牙 Xi Ban Ya, which sounds like España.

But then there's say England, where 英国 Ying sounds like "Eng" and the Guo is just country.

Russia, is just Russia because the first character in 俄国 just literally means "Russian".

And yeah most of the two character [blank] + country, are something nice. I mean you wouldn't go "hey what should we call this United States place?" and then name it like "garbage country".

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Haven't lost a war (or battle, even) in over 200 years. :rock:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

"Rub Accept Brother"?

The Chinese stereotype is that Monaco is full of useless, wealthy dilettantes with an awkward relationship to their older brother France.

And a politically-loaded map to go with it:

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Haven't lost a war (or battle, even) in over 200 years. :rock:

IIRC they haven't won one either.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Montenegro: "Black Mountain". So sometimes they just translate the country's name.

edit: And chinese for Kosovo is Kosovo.

Averrences
May 3, 2008

the jizz taxi posted:

IIRC they haven't won one either.

They 'won' plenty during the period when they were a Great Power - the modern standpoint of 'Sweden have never fought any battle ever' is almost as disingenuous as that meme that somehow France is 'a country of cowards'. These types of limited standpoints only come about when people ignore context and only focus on the last 200 years of history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
It's almost as if there is a country that has only 200 years of history pretending things before that aren't important.