Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

twistedmentat posted:

Former future GOP Frontrunner Chris Christie

If Christie does face political death, it might not be over this. He still has a huge image problem with more hard right republicans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Ugh, S.E. Cupp...

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

BigRed0427 posted:

If Christie does face political death, it might not be over this. He still has a huge image problem with more hard right republicans.

Christie has a huge image problem with anyone who has seen a picture of him.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Getting the easy joke out of the way I see.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hehehe, duty.

I am literally 12 years old.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

JohnSherman posted:

Christie has a huge image problem with anyone who has seen a picture of him.
huge :laugh:

I'll see myself out.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Hehehe, duty.

I am literally 12 years old.

I mean, the variations and delivery made that a treat for all ages:

Duty is on everyone's lips, and although the duty doesn't drop till next week some duty has already leaked out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Seriousness aside, I really cannot believe there are still people in the US that think that they need to keep Afghanistan going. Doesn't have faith in his commanders? Considering they haven't exactly shown themselves to be capable, I don't find that hard to believe.

Isn't Waiting for Superman completely utterly bullshit?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 10, 2014

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Public education isn't working because assholes refuse to fund or support it. Next.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Nothing poor fishing villagers love is hollywood millionaires coming in and telling them they're terrible people.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
This guy is a loving horrible speaker

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
That laugh reminded me of Moriarty from the BBC's "Sherlock".

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Acquilae posted:

He just wanted attention and the U.S. wasn't giving him any :smith:

Wait, are you talking about Dennis Rodman or Kim Jong Un? :raise:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Mr. Fowl posted:

Wait, are you talking about Dennis Rodman or Kim Jong Un? :raise:
I'll just say both of them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Winkie01 posted:

This guy is a loving horrible speaker

P. bad film maker too. He's a typical smug white upper middle class activist who looks at things and goes 'guys we should throw money at it, money fixes anything'. Notice how most of his best movies were just based on books that were way better than the movie because they were written by the person who actually lived/studied the things.

Also haha The Cove being touted as great activism, he got people super mad at a bunch of poor people and instead of fixing the problems that caused such industries he just killed the fishermen's work and said "JOB DONE".

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

Tatum Girlparts posted:

P. bad film maker too. He's a typical smug white upper middle class activist who looks at things and goes 'guys we should throw money at it, money fixes anything'. Notice how most of his best movies were just based on books that were way better than the movie because they were written by the person who actually lived/studied the things.

Also haha The Cove being touted as great activism, he got people super mad at a bunch of poor people and instead of fixing the problems that caused such industries he just killed the fishermen's work and said "JOB DONE".

To be fair, a lot of the problem with public education at the moment is the underfunding of certain (read: urban) schools. Money will assuredly need to be part of the solution. It's just that it doesn't need to come with all the senselessly punitive "let's turn everything into charter schools and then incentivize teachers to sit down after school and change their students' answers so they don't get fired" bullshit. It also doesn't need to come from private enterprises when we should realistically just fund schools equitably at the state level.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Dammit I missed the Dean Cain bit what did he say?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Uncle Wemus posted:

Dammit I missed the Dean Cain bit what did he say?

You got to do a job, even if its not what you want, do you think I wanted to do all those movies? Got to pay the bills.

yea, We could all just do some crappy Christian themed holiday movie. It's not A Wes Anderson film, but it pays the bills.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Seriousness aside, I really cannot believe there are still people in the US that think that they need to keep Afghanistan going. Doesn't have faith in his commanders? Considering they haven't exactly shown themselves to be capable, I don't find that hard to believe.

Isn't Waiting for Superman completely utterly bullshit?

Waiting for Superman has been utterly savaged by anyone with the slightest knowledge of how the private school system works and how the "documentary" was made. It's extremely easy to destroy by asking questions and pointing out the logical inconsistencies, not to mention that most of the scenes were staged by the director to evoke an emotional response from the audience.

It's a critical darling for the conservatives and GOP so valid criticism is dismissed as "mainstream liberals" but anyone with a passing knowledge of the state of education in the US can discredit the film within the first 30 minutes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That is not how a human being laughs.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Jesus motherfucking Christ. I'm watching last night's episode, and Fox having Dean Cain on to go 'if you are unemployed, JUST START IN A FILM' is so goddamned disgusting. Everything said in the loving segment on Fox/by Republicans was. But it's literally as though Republicans think that, to quote a stand-up comic (A LIBERAL ONE!), if you're in financial straits because your political hack book's residuals aren't bringing in enough of a steady income for you, you should just do a few more after-dinner speeches, sell a few entries in your classic car collection, maybe lease your private jet and yacht to others for a short while. You know-- middle American solutions.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Apoplexy posted:

Jesus motherfucking Christ. I'm watching last night's episode, and Fox having Dean Cain on to go 'if you are unemployed, JUST START IN A FILM' is so goddamned disgusting. Everything said in the loving segment on Fox/by Republicans was. But it's literally as though Republicans think that, to quote a stand-up comic (A LIBERAL ONE!), if you're in financial straits because your political hack book's residuals aren't bringing in enough of a steady income for you, you should just do a few more after-dinner speeches, sell a few entries in your classic car collection, maybe lease your private jet and yacht to others for a short while. You know-- middle American solutions.

I can see how a guy who went from a major network TV series to doing Lifetime movies and complete garbage to "pay the bills" which in his case might be literal for him to afford the life he's accustomed to thinks the other 99% of the workforce should do the same without any awareness of the discrepancies between "D list actor" and "High school degree unemployed worker"

It's pretty short-sighted that he runs to Fox News to tout their b.s politic rhetoric but again for him getting any press is better then continuing to slide into obscurity.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
My favorite part is how "do an unrewarding job you don't have a passion for" is a cutting-edge lifehack that no one has ever thought of.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Uh-oh. I think we're gonna be hearing about this on Monday....

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The dudes who are all about cutting unemployment benefit deserve to die. Like if a person is saying "if you cannot get a job, you should struggle and starve and be homeless" - they should die. I honestly don't understand how people can be such sociopaths. I really don't.

By the way, how does welfare/unemployment/social security (I don't really know the differences?) work in the states? I think you guys have a short term unemployment benefit, but what happens after that?

On a lighter note, "LITERALLY russian roulette" cracked me up pretty hard.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

Oh boy.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Y-Hat posted:

Man what if that pizza was really greasy and hot? If its one thing I hate its pizza that has the cheese slip off if you pick it up and then are left with 3rd degree burns on your hands. :colbert:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I'm rewatching old Daily Shows from 2008, starting with them coming back from the WGA Strike so it's "A Daily Show." Anyway, I miss Jon's Bush voice.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Apoplexy posted:

Remember these are people who with the straight face said that middle class is around $250k a year.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Well that was telegraphed.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Fun fact: The company that did this had specific exemptions from EPA inspections.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
How do you tell an entire region not to drink their water? I'm picturing cops circling the streets with oversized klaxons.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 14, 2014

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
And this is why we need to get rid of the EPA. They'll just come along and close that plant and lose all those jobs!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This is like some Springfield Nuclear Power Plant poo poo.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

404GoonNotFound posted:

Fun fact: The company that did this had specific exemptions from EPA inspections.
"We'll be more responsible without government regulations in the way!"

Heh, a company named :911: Freedom Industries :911: has a Brit president.

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 14, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OK my brain is officially going to shut off when somebody says "freedom."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Y-Hat posted:

OK my brain is officially going to shut off when somebody says "freedom."

Freedom pretty much means the opposite these days.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Apoplexy posted:

On the other hand, I'd rather be unemployed than host the modern incarnation of "Bloopers and Practical Jokes" that airs at 2:30 am after Saturday Night Live.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I thought from the three smokestacks that Jason was at the Waterfront in Pittsburgh, which is just a commercial district over the remains of where the Homestead strikes took place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Isn't the West Virginia Governer also pissing off the Republicans in his state by allowing the feds to come in and clean it up?

Of loving course.

• Locked thread