Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Corova man, I was more/all of FE was like you. Sloan sometimes and especially Doraf are loving embarrassing representatives in the Raid Discussion. Hell then Unbrella gets called out personally by Rogean.

Seriously, FE (besides you) should be ashamed of themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
I just know when not to open my mouth to share how I really feel. Oh the things I wanted to say to Chest but thought better of before I could get to a keyboard.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Funkutron5000 posted:

I just know when not to open my mouth to share how I really feel. Oh the things I wanted to say to Chest but thought better of before I could get to a keyboard.

Just PM those thoughts to me. I'll spout them off in vent, we'll hug it out and it'll be a win-win.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Funkutron5000 posted:

Hahahaha. If it makes you feel better, me and Chest chat on gtalk pretty much daily, even when I don't play for months and months, so we're totes BFFs 4evarz, and I still call him a loving idiot all the time.

He has some good points, but I still think he was missing a bit of the big picture. He is seriously interested in what makes a healthier server, which I can understand if you don't believe, but it's true.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

xZAOx posted:

Hahahaha. If it makes you feel better, me and Chest chat on gtalk pretty much daily, even when I don't play for months and months, so we're totes BFFs 4evarz, and I still call him a loving idiot all the time.

He has some good points, but I still think he was missing a bit of the big picture. He is seriously interested in what makes a healthier server, which I can understand if you don't believe, but it's true.

I understand it completely but I also see Sloan's current point - fixing the raid scene is an independent venture from who gets to kill what mobs when. It's not the mob distribution that matters as much as the fact that people were (and continue to be) raging dicks to each other. There needs to be a level-ish playing field (if you're willing to put in more effort, you probably should kill more things; more effort = more reward) with a general sense of good sportsmanship. I think, in a totally FFA environment with the new PNP rules enacted you would see a much different kill distribution than current. At first a lot of the kills would probably go to TMO/FE/IB as we have a good infrastructure built up to make us raid capable and ready to mobilize quickly, but I think that other guilds would build up to be competitive rather quickly when they see it's not nearly as bad as it was/ actually a whole lot of fun. I like the FFA way as classic EQ is such a different beast from current MMOs. No instances gives people a reason to compete and try to win- if they don't win, they don't get what they want by entering the instance separately. And no, I don't think you need to be on red to be competitive. I think pvp could be fun and competitive, but that server is a cesspool of human garbage (for example: see the dude who posted a bunch of people's phone numbers on Craig's List ads because he was so mad about pixels).

Or, nothing could change and we could all atill be giant dicks to each other.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Why don't you and I talk daily on Gchat?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
So I notice there's basically nobody from Invalid Guild ever on...I've got my Druid up to 53 now and have been thinking about finding a guild. Is there any particular guild with a good population of casual goons in it? Not looking for any kind of hardcore guild and I really don't have the time to raid - I mostly play during work hours and do work during my kiting downtime. Just kind of need that green text and the occasional group, help with a transfer, etc.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Buane posted:

So I notice there's basically nobody from Invalid Guild ever on...I've got my Druid up to 53 now and have been thinking about finding a guild. Is there any particular guild with a good population of casual goons in it? Not looking for any kind of hardcore guild and I really don't have the time to raid - I mostly play during work hours and do work during my kiting downtime. Just kind of need that green text and the occasional group, help with a transfer, etc.

It's 'unknown guild' but I hear ya. Can't offer help since I'm only level 14 though and don't play much.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah things in goon guild land have been sparse of late. I've been on a few times a day for the last two weeks and have only spotted one other person. Your best bet is to join up with one of the larger casual leveling or raiding guilds out there. I know <Knights Who Say Ni> are fairly active if you want something towards the leveling end of the casual spectrum, and BDA is a solid guild towards the raiding end.

mattmuffinman
Oct 13, 2008
Yeah after repeatedly being the only person in the Unknown Guild online, I've ended up in Knights. I know there's a couple others of us in the guild too.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL
I was in Knights until a couple of days ago. It was definitely super helpful with ports, groups, and rezzes. I did end up having to put quite a few people on /ignore. One of the officers, Tacite, is a complete human being. He has some strange obsession with Lord Bob and how terrible they are, and when someone had the audacity to disagree with him in /gu he booted him. I didn't know the guy he booted, but it was one of the more transparently bullshit things I've seen in a MMO, and when all the retards in the guild started defending him I decided to take my leave. I guess you can't expect a lot from a guild who will invite literally anyone, but yeah. I think I'm going to look into the A-Team. They seem to get stuff done and you don't have to poopsock in order to get some loots.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

ChadBroChill17 posted:

I was in Knights until a couple of days ago. It was definitely super helpful with ports, groups, and rezzes. I did end up having to put quite a few people on /ignore. One of the officers, Tacite, is a complete human being. He has some strange obsession with Lord Bob and how terrible they are, and when someone had the audacity to disagree with him in /gu he booted him. I didn't know the guy he booted, but it was one of the more transparently bullshit things I've seen in a MMO, and when all the retards in the guild started defending him I decided to take my leave. I guess you can't expect a lot from a guild who will invite literally anyone, but yeah. I think I'm going to look into the A-Team. They seem to get stuff done and you don't have to poopsock in order to get some loots.

The A-Team is a guild that specializes in small single to two group encounters and has pretty stringent membership requirements iirc.

ChadBroChill17
Sep 6, 2007
Plato, Heidegger, Aristotle, LOL

iNteg posted:

The A-Team is a guild that specializes in small single to two group encounters and has pretty stringent membership requirements iirc.

According to their post on the forums you just need to be 46+ and play "a few days a week."

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Do all the classic newbie cash crops (bone chips, HQ bear pelts, etc) still apply or are there better ways to earn money early on? Started a fresh monk named Roean in Qeynos, gonna make a run for Freeport if I ever get a SoW.

Edit: Made it to High Keep in once piece thanks to the lone fellow monk who happened to be killing gnolls near the EK zoneline in HPH. That's always the tricky bit on the cross-Antonica run since it's the most dangerous area at low levels and dying there means a loooooooong run back.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 13, 2014

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
For the most part, yes, but you will definitely need to be in EC to flip stuff reliably.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Republicans posted:

Do all the classic newbie cash crops (bone chips, HQ bear pelts, etc) still apply or are there better ways to earn money early on? Started a fresh monk named Roean in Qeynos, gonna make a run for Freeport if I ever get a SoW.

Edit: Made it to High Keep in once piece thanks to the lone fellow monk who happened to be killing gnolls near the EK zoneline in HPH. That's always the tricky bit on the cross-Antonica run since it's the most dangerous area at low levels and dying there means a loooooooong run back.

Eh. For the most part. A stack of bone chips will go for 5-10pp, hq bear pelts for 25pp, lq pelts for 1pp, death fist Orc belts for 5pp each. Spider silk can get up to 20pp/stack.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

Left goblin ears from High keep sell very well, too. I believe 15-30pp each is the going rate.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

nwin posted:

Eh. For the most part. A stack of bone chips will go for 5-10pp, hq bear pelts for 25pp, lq pelts for 1pp, death fist Orc belts for 5pp each. Spider silk can get up to 20pp/stack.

Sounds like what I remember. Got a few stacks of bone chips and an HQ bear pelt last night, hopefully that'll go a ways toward a better weapon than a fine steel warhammer.

About when did they get rid of class-based exp penalties and hell levels (I can't believe how hard they denied those existed) on live? I remember the former at least being sometime in velious I think.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

Republicans posted:

Sounds like what I remember. Got a few stacks of bone chips and an HQ bear pelt last night, hopefully that'll go a ways toward a better weapon than a fine steel warhammer.

About when did they get rid of class-based exp penalties and hell levels (I can't believe how hard they denied those existed) on live? I remember the former at least being sometime in velious I think.

Hybrid penalty will go away sometime in Velious. I'm pretty sure hell levels are here to stay, though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Regardless of your stance on things, it was nice to do some raiding again.

Twosmoke
Oct 11, 2010

bunnybunnybunny

xZAOx posted:

Regardless of your stance on things, it was nice to do some raiding again.

indeed, altho our officers decided to poopsock VS because he would be in our raiding-window & FFA, I wasn't really happy with that.
(europa)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Twosmoke posted:

indeed, altho our officers decided to poopsock VS because he would be in our raiding-window & FFA, I wasn't really happy with that.
(europa)

Warn them against that BS.

1. Rogaen, for some reason, has a hard-on for doing lovely things in the name of stopping poopsocking (such as variance, then extended variance). If a lot of poopsocking returns, he'll put those things back in. Even though all it did was make it so only the hardest core of people were willing to poopsock.

2. Then of course the "no poopsocking near raid mobs" rule, but I believe I saw screenshots showing you guys at the zone entrance.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Warn them against that BS.

1. Rogaen, for some reason, has a hard-on for doing lovely things in the name of stopping poopsocking (such as variance, then extended variance). If a lot of poopsocking returns, he'll put those things back in. Even though all it did was make it so only the hardest core of people were willing to poopsock.

2. Then of course the "no poopsocking near raid mobs" rule, but I believe I saw screenshots showing you guys at the zone entrance.

why not just break into solid groups and camp the whole zone, so you can get XP and loots while waiting on VS to pop? makes no sense to sit at the ZL with your thumb up your butt.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

why not just break into solid groups and camp the whole zone, so you can get XP and loots while waiting on VS to pop? makes no sense to sit at the ZL with your thumb up your butt.

Most professional raiders are 60. Get to the back of the soup line, you worthless scrub.

(That's me being tongue-in-cheek, just in case anyone was wondering...)

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

xZAOx posted:

Most professional raiders are 60. Get to the back of the soup line, you worthless scrub.

(That's me being tongue-in-cheek, just in case anyone was wondering...)

Look nerd, aren't you posting in the wrong thread? This is p99, not LOTRO.

Does this mean you're actually back and raiding?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

iNteg posted:

Look nerd, aren't you posting in the wrong thread? This is p99, not LOTRO.

Does this mean you're actually back and raiding?

I have a renewed energy for the server, definitely. My playtime is still what it is, though. Usually my time with P99 is pretty full-on, which is why I'd play religiously for like 3 months, miss zero raids, but then drop off pretty drastically (but keep up with things on the forums).

Of course during that time I'd usually be short-changing time with my daughter, my wife, no exercise at all, etc. You know, the MMO HMO life. Keeping that stuff in place, leaves me with about a 1-2 hour window a night for free time.

But yeah, I'm going to try to attend batphones as I can, maybe hop on for part of our Sky raids, hop on for repop days, etc. Just as I can. No 4-5 hours every night though.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

xZAOx posted:

Of course during that time I'd usually be short-changing time with my daughter, my wife, no exercise at all, etc. You know, the MMO HMO life. Keeping that stuff in place, leaves me with about a 1-2 hour window a night for free time.

But yeah, I'm going to try to attend batphones as I can, maybe hop on for part of our Sky raids, hop on for repop days, etc. Just as I can. No 4-5 hours every night though.
Same story here. Trying to find a balance in my evening routine. Good for you, by the way.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
Never hop on for any part of a sky raid. Just never go to sky. Never.

God I hate sky raids.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Funkutron5000 posted:

God I hate sky raids.

That was our bread and butter for a long time in BDA. I love Sky and love Skyday Fridays! It was the only content we were doing that we were seeing progression on and had reliable loot upgrades (well, as reliable as EQ gets).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Sky is fun when everyone has a full set of necessary keys and knows what they're doing. In other words...

Funkutron5000 posted:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I guess I'm weird. I didn't mind dragging corpses and all that, because I knew it meant 3-4 pieces of loot every night, at least (back when we could only do the earlier islands).

Of course now it's even more loot, since we clear it all.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The 2-3 BDA sky raids I went on were 2-3 people doing all the work so that a bunch of inattentive and clueless people could get loot. It doesn't seem to be that hard to read one of the many good sky guides out there so you at least know which keys you need and to pay attention to instructions about what to do if you don't have keys, but I must be wrong about that since 99% of sky raids I've been on with 5+ guilds never work out this way.

I'm all for raids that net rewards, but Sky is really quite horrible compared to pretty much every other raid with regards to loot/time except maybe Chardok Royals. Yeah, I know that BDA has been in that place where most people have Fear/Hate gear but it's tough to get dragon/god targets so Sky is the place to be, but that doesn't make it a loot fest.

Mostly I hate Sky raids because I've been on so goddamn many of them. When Sky was released on p99 (before Kunark) we were going up 5-10 times a week and, while it was fun to do the new and difficult content at 50, it got old, especially once we figured out that mage-zerging was the best way to kill stuff (though even that was kind of fun at first for the novelty). It's supremely aggravating to be doing it 3 years later with level 60s and seeing people still fail and act clueless.

The only time you'll ever see me in Sky now is to help with monk epics and Noble, otherwise I either lost a bet or am experiencing severe self-loathing.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

aparmenideanmonad posted:

(snip sky hating rant)

The only time you'll ever see me in Sky now is to help with monk epics and Noble, otherwise I either lost a bet or am experiencing severe self-loathing.

It's definitely frustrating at times, but I guess I'm numb to it. I except most of the people to be completely loving clueless regardless of all the help people try to give. I can understand it to a point - it's a game, you don't want to have to study for hours before you can play. On the other hand though, I hate being a burden and looking stupid. But when mix "I don't care if I look stupid" with "lazy", you get annoying people. Which are most people.

Regarding severe self-loathing - pretty sure we all fall into that category :P. Why else would we play this?

And off-topic: Brad has a new Kickstarter for his new MMO. Here's our thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3601416 . Going to drop a note in a few Brad-related threads.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

aparmenideanmonad posted:

The 2-3 BDA sky raids I went on were 2-3 people doing all the work so that a bunch of inattentive and clueless people could get loot. It doesn't seem to be that hard to read one of the many good sky guides out there so you at least know which keys you need and to pay attention to instructions about what to do if you don't have keys, but I must be wrong about that since 99% of sky raids I've been on with 5+ guilds never work out this way.

I'm all for raids that net rewards, but Sky is really quite horrible compared to pretty much every other raid with regards to loot/time except maybe Chardok Royals. Yeah, I know that BDA has been in that place where most people have Fear/Hate gear but it's tough to get dragon/god targets so Sky is the place to be, but that doesn't make it a loot fest.

Mostly I hate Sky raids because I've been on so goddamn many of them. When Sky was released on p99 (before Kunark) we were going up 5-10 times a week and, while it was fun to do the new and difficult content at 50, it got old, especially once we figured out that mage-zerging was the best way to kill stuff (though even that was kind of fun at first for the novelty). It's supremely aggravating to be doing it 3 years later with level 60s and seeing people still fail and act clueless.

I expect to see you in sky next week for the secret bet we didn't have when Indy got spanked by Tom Brady.

Edit: Oh, you also have to PL me to 60.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

I think every monk loves sky. Back in the day I loved going up and pulling it but I think its a lot less boring for monks. I think raiding in general is a lot less boring as a monk.

I never did get my belt or knuckle though.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010
My main issue with sky is the raid is always at least twice as long time wise as it should be. People AFK constantly because it is already a pretty long raid with a lot of down time which just keeps making it longer. Also, for some reason people on this server are god awful at using the /assist macro and for waiting for an assist to be called. It's not hard to not attack things till you're told to, I think, but for some people it's just loving impossible.

Twosmoke
Oct 11, 2010

bunnybunnybunny
I like Sky, for a long time the only somewhat "challenging" raiding for our guild and nice quest pieces (loves the 41% haste belt!)

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

TouchToneDialing posted:

I think every monk loves sky. Back in the day I loved going up and pulling it but I think its a lot less boring for monks. I think raiding in general is a lot less boring as a monk.

I never did get my belt or knuckle though.

My first looted haste item was a Belt of Tranquility while learning to pull there back on the first official progression server (the only time I ever raided in EQ). I thought it was neat but yeah, when you have to just stand around waiting for us monks to do all the pulling I imagine it gets boring fast.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

TouchToneDialing posted:

I think every monk loves sky.
Sky is the only zone I hate doing more as a monk than as other classes simply because the novelty of doing inter-island pulling, corpse dragging, and jumping wore off about 300 raids ago, and I'm not allowed to go AFK for 90% of the raid like all the other lazy assholes.

Funkutron5000 posted:

My main issue with sky is the raid is always at least twice as long time wise as it should be. People AFK constantly because it is already a pretty long raid with a lot of down time which just keeps making it longer.
x1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Anyone happen to have a Cane of the Tranquil or some similar monk weapon they can sell me for about 100p? Seems like there were plenty to be had the other day but I'm seeing nothing in EC in the past few hours now that I have money.

• Locked thread