Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Gate posted:

Warriors are too expensive when kitted out for CC is the issue, they're like 60 points with sword/whip and frags or something equally ridiculous. The shooting is pretty mediocre too, for the points you pay, but it is a cheaper option. I think a Tervigon isn't a terrible choice for backfield Synapse, just don't sit it near Termagants and you're fine. They probably can't be as aggressive anyway without Biomancy to toughen them up.
I'd probably take the opposite approach, and only ever use Tervigons now for outflanking via Hive Commander. That keeps them away from killing most gants, provides synapse/SitW in the enemy back field, and presents a reasonable threat to remove. Maybe take that Haywire template weapon to mess with things like War Walkers and artillery vehicles.

I'd be really keen on Warriors if their upgrades weren't so expensive... you have to spend a minimum of 10-15pts each to get a reasonable melee unit. However, on the other end of the scale it's only 100pts for basic unit of 3 with a Venom Cannon. I'm getting tempted to include 2-3 of these for extra synapse coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
lol I would never kit those turds out for close combat, are you kidding me? they're there to herd around the MCs because your flyrants died on turn two

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Are deathspitters still garbage 3-shot guns? I used to run a warrior squad with 5 of them and a barbed strangler back in 4th when they were blasts. That unit was hilarious and I'd love to run it again.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Safety Factor posted:

I'd love to run it again.

Bet you can guess the answer then.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
What does mono-Tzeentch do for anti-tank?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Cry, mostly.

More serious answer: FMCs and Screamers. Maybe a Soul Grinder, if you're feeling fancy.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Taking a break from the (reasonable) distress about the new Nids, I was fooling around with the builder trying to make competitive Dark Eldar forces at 1850. This is what I came up with.

pre:
Dark Eldar 6th Ed (2010) (Primary Detachment) Selections:

HQ 
Baron Sathonyx 
Bones of the Seer, Fleet, Hit and Run, Independent Character, Master of the Skies, Night Vision, Power from Pain, Twilight Shroud
Hellglaive, Phantasm Grenade Launcher, Shadowfield, Splinter Pistol, Wychsuit
Custom Skyboard Splinter Pods

Elites 
Kabalite Trueborn 
Fleet, Night Vision, Power from Pain
4x Trueborn, 4x Blaster 
Venom Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon 

Troops 
Hellions (Troops) 
Fleet, Hit and Run, Night Vision, Power from Pain
Combat Drugs
14x Hellion, 14x Hellglaive
Skyboard Splinter Pods

Kabalite Warriors
8x Kabalite Warrior 8x Splinter Rifle
Kabalite Warrior with assault weapon Blaster 
Kabalite Warrior with heavy weapon Splinter Cannon 
Raider Dark Lance, Retrofire Jets 

Kabalite Warriors
8x Kabalite Warrior 8x Splinter Rifle

Heavy Support 
Ravager 
Aerial Assault, Night Vision
Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Flickerfield 

Ravager 
Disintegrator, Disintegrator, Disintegrator, Flickerfield, Retrofire Jets (5pts)
Ravager 
Dark Lance, Dark Lance, Dark Lance

Codex: Eldar 6th Edition (2013) (Allied Detachment) Selections:
Iyanden Supplement Detachment (Codex Supplement: Iyanden)
HQ 

Spiritseer (70pts)
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Independent Character, Psychic Disciplines: Runes of Battle, Telepathy, Psyker (Mastery Level 2), Rune Armour, Spirit Mark, Witchstaff

Troops 
Rangers 
Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, Fleet, Infiltrate, Move Through Cover, Stealth
5x Ranger

Wraithguard (Troops) 
Ancient Doom, Bulky, Fearless
Wave Serpent 
Holo-fields, Serpent Field, Shuriken cannon, Twin-linked brightlances 
5x Wraithguard 5x Wraithcannon

Heavy Support 
Wraithknight
Ancient Doom, Fearless
Scatter laser, Starcannon, Suncannon and Scattershield 

total: 1849
The Knight is there mostly to be scary and attract fire that could hit the Ravagers and troops. The Wraightguard are durable scoring guys, something DE lack entirely. The Rangers are just cheap scoring base-sitters. It seems to have a nice balance of anti-horde (Hellions, Wraith serpent, Wraithguard, disintegrator Ravager, dual-cannon Venom), anti-tank/MC (blasters, dark lances, twin-linked brightlance, wraithcannons). It lacks anti-air, though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'd drop the Rangers and give your Wraithguard D-Scythes. Also drop the Starcannon on the Wraithknight, you now have 30 points to work with, so give your Wave Serpent Vectored Engines (also why the Bright Lances vs. Scatter Laser there?)

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Not a whole lot if its AV13+ or long range firepower. A Loci'd out Flickering Fire can chip out AV12 and lower but that would require a decked out Herald and a max Pink Horror unit to just force tons of 4s 5s and 6s to pen. Also suffers from 24" range. You have Bolt of Change and Infernal Gateway which you have to luck out to get and then you have about a 50% chance of getting a good enough anti-tank strength, and then you have to deal with their short range. There's a few random roll Daemonic Gifts that MIGHT get you a tank kill but they are also short range shooting or pure CC oriented and not really worth it.

The Soulgrinder can take a 36" S8 AP3 Large Blast but S8 Ordnance barely passes as solid anti-tank anymore, it's definitively better than nothing though. You could do damage to flimsier tanks but don't expect to be wrecking Predators and Leman Russes from the front on the regular. The Soulgrinder can take a S10 AP1 single shot eye laser paired with his 3 shot Autocannon but he's only BS3 so you would have to baby sit him with Prescience and those weapons are 24"/48". Basically if any tanks are sporting 36" or longer Tzeentch has no real shooting counter other than a Quad-Gun or Icarus Cannon (or one of those new Fortifications).

In CC a Lord of Change with Staff will completely wreck tanks with 6 or 7 (depending if you bought the Lesser Gift Warp Blade as well) Prescienced S8 AP2 attacks on the charge or they can go all out with 3/4 S10 AP2 Smash attacks with re-roll to hit and to-pen.

Screamers CAN completely obliterate tanks but remember its ONE S5 AP2 Armorbane attack and if that tank moved (it will have moved, they always do) Screamers are hitting on 3s instead of auto-hitting. Which means you'll need a good amount of them (or a Prescience Disc Herald) to ensure you actually land some hits and that still doesn't ensure its an auto-explode, AP2 is still only +1 on the chart. I've charged tanks with Screamers and done little to no damage just to have the tank drive off and blow away them away. Also any smart vehicle heavy player will wipe them off the board first.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 10, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Boon posted:

I'd drop the Rangers and give your Wraithguard D-Scythes. Also drop the Starcannon on the Wraithknight, you now have 30 points to work with, so give your Wave Serpent Vectored Engines (also why the Bright Lances vs. Scatter Laser there?)

I'm a bit paranoid about not having enough scoring units, given how weedy Eldar are. I'll remove the Starcannon; adding it was an oversight. I went with the bright lances on the WS because I have an used model that only has that weapon option, and I like having a lance on a sturdier platform. When I get the right bits and magnets, I'll give the broken WS build a try.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
What do you guys think the Day 1 Tyranid Errata/FAQ will look like?

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

the ones they keep closing?

VVV I understand that generally, leaks hurt sales, but this seems like more of a product quality issue than a leak issue. Best-case, they'd have gotten the price of a codex before he decided not to buy any more tyranids without the leaked information.

This entire market exists because nerds want a tangible game to play with each other. Nerds have no friends but other nerds, they have an effectively unlimited number of virtual games they can play, but if there was no value in tangible play CCGs and tabletop games would have died out twenty years ago. Yes, it's been that long since online gaming was possible, and tabletop games would have evaporated that quickly if there wasn't a unique value to them.

I started playing 40k with my brother because we were both into LAN gaming but wanted something that didn't require computers. We shopped around and settled on 40k because we encountered it in a Wizards Of The Coast shop and were blown away by the fluff, the visuals, and the gameplay.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Two Feet From Bread posted:

Probably like the Tau, Eldar and Space Marine one. Including the 3 extra blank pages.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

Correction: first page should read "abandon all hope, ye who play nids". Then two pages explaining that the army is being phased out and how much Cruddace hates us all

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
What are the cheesy competitive 30k lists? First, I’d like to avoid them. Second, if I play at a game store and some dude decides to play some silly poo poo I’d like an answer to his silly poo poo.

Off the top of my head we can abuse predator squadrons (75pts gets us AV13 and 4 autocannon shots), rapier weapon batteries (~50 pts gets you either 4 small blasts with super pining or twin linked ordinance S10 AP1 against armor), and iron hand bikers can be T6 with FNP and 2+ saves. That gunslinger character can also take two plasma pistols, rerolling missies at BS5, and keep rolling hits until he misses with bothpistols.

Did I miss anything?

poo poo?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Who are you guys kidding? The first FAQ for Nids will address nothing for the rules, it will just fix spelling mistakes.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Q: Does Shadow in the Warp work against models that are wearing helmets of any kind?
A: No

Q: What if the model could conceivably be wearing a helmet but is currently not wearing a helmet, does Shadow in the Warp work in those situations?
A: No

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Whew. I was worried my sarges for a sec.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Lungboy posted:

Spearhead had the Nightspinner didn't it?

Nightspinner was an old Forgeworld model that got transferred over to the main line.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Before it was a Forgeworld model, it was an Epic unit.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
Before it was an epic unit, it was a remote control car from Milton Bradley, when they did that RC line as a tie-in with GW properties that lead to HeroQuest, Space Crusade, and Battle Masters. They also had a Baneblade that shot foam darts, and a chaos rhino that shot those plastic disk things.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Before it was an epic unit, it was a remote control car from Milton Bradley, when they did that RC line as a tie-in with GW properties that lead to HeroQuest, Space Crusade, and Battle Masters. They also had a Baneblade that shot foam darts, and a chaos rhino that shot those plastic disk things.

Welcome back, friend.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

:aaaaa: Whaaa, I never knew about it, can you link-

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Oh.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Am i the only person that thinks the gun/arm posing on the harpy makes it look like the loving goofiest piece of poo poo?

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

Gough Suppressant posted:

Am i the only person that thinks the gun/arm posing on the harpy makes it look like the loving goofiest piece of poo poo?
Nope, it looks like a Carnifex with Hive Tyrant wings. Goofy bumblebee bug. I'd love to slim one down and make it look more like the original artwork, but am no way blowing $80 on the kit. Shame, too, as I got a dremel for Christmas and slimming down that carapace would be the perfect use for it. Anybody want to buy the ridiculously overpriced kit and then pay me more to convert it? :allears:

I'm just sad I sold my converted Harpy model for about 1/2 the price of the real kit... it was much sleeker and better, in my humble opinion. It was originally made to play as a Fighta-Bomma in Apocalypse (before it had a real model), hence the strange weapons - I converted it to have proper Harpy gear before shipping it off.

-------------------------------------

On the upside, in the midst of all this screaming about the Tyranid Codex, the SECOND WARHAMMER 40,000 MOVIE SPRINGS ON US OUT OF NOWHERE. The trailer is pretty vague, but it looks leagues better than the first. Watch the whole thing through before making any judgement.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

On the upside, in the midst of all this screaming about the Tyranid Codex, the SECOND WARHAMMER 40,000 MOVIE SPRINGS ON US OUT OF NOWHERE. The trailer is pretty vague, but it looks leagues better than the first. Watch the whole thing through before making any judgement.

First sighting of new IG flyer? I say maybe!

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Forgeworld not having a model for Horus is literally all that's keeping me from 30k. Is there an ETA on that? Ghost Hand please respond.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

panascope posted:

Forgeworld not having a model for Horus is literally all that's keeping me from 30k. Is there an ETA on that? Ghost Hand please respond.

They've already started teasing him in presentations so he should be released soon.

E: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-L2L2EfoN0aw/Uk0xHjgJQNI/AAAAAAAACww/P0zHXLGMi7g/s1600/Forge%2BWorld%2BHorus%2BHeresy%2BHorus%2BPrimarch.JPG

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

So if he's Primarch #5, that means he's next, right?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Gough Suppressant posted:

I think it looks weird because the model feels very beginner designer (not that I am really one to judge 3D modeling and designing). It's just perfectly symmetrical like a vehicle, except it's not a vehicle. It doesn't look organic or dynamic at all. It also has no legs, or even evidence that it has legs but they are just tucked in.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BuffaloChicken posted:

I love this so much.

I just played a rad as gently caress game with Zhent, easily one of the most tactical and thought-out games I've ever played. His Ravenwing were chasing down my Lord as he hopped from squad to squad and made armor saves like a boss while a big ol' mob of Marines held the Relic back in my deployment zone. I also blew the arm off my own Dreadnought with a Vindicator. Thanks for the game, man!

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

This is as much as I know about it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pacheeco posted:

I think it looks weird because the model feels very beginner designer (not that I am really one to judge 3D modeling and designing). It's just perfectly symmetrical like a vehicle, except it's not a vehicle. It doesn't look organic or dynamic at all. It also has no legs, or even evidence that it has legs but they are just tucked in.

To be fair, Tyranids aren't known to be designed for longevity. I can see the hive mind just dumping them out from low orbit and gently caress them if they land.

That's the part I love about the IA tyranid book: a bunch of harridans destroy an imperial airstrip by crashing into as many as they can.

Germ
May 7, 2013

SRM posted:

I just played a rad as gently caress game with Zhent, easily one of the most tactical and thought-out games I've ever played. His Ravenwing were chasing down my Lord as he hopped from squad to squad and made armor saves like a boss while a big ol' mob of Marines held the Relic back in my deployment zone. I also blew the arm off my own Dreadnought with a Vindicator. Thanks for the game, man!

I've heard a lot of folks complain about the Relic scenario, but I've had some of my closest, most tactical, and nail-biting games with it. Something about being able to sacrifice anything to achieve that one objective is just fun.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm pretty excited for Horus. Sons of Horus is definitely my favorite 30k color scheme.

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Germ posted:

I've heard a lot of folks complain about the Relic scenario, but I've had some of my closest, most tactical, and nail-biting games with it. Something about being able to sacrifice anything to achieve that one objective is just fun.

The Relic comes up so much in my group we moan and groan about it but it's honestly better than all the other stock scenarios aside from "kill everything". All the other scenarios usually break down to a stale mate or an immediate disadvantage if you roll 3 or 5 objectives and don't place the last one in the center and then all that really matters are First Blood and Slay the Warlord and your Heavy/Fast liabilities. The last time anybody played The Relic a lone Missile Launcher Scout Sentinel put the beat down on multiple DE squads passing off The Relic for like 4 turns until he could finally get it back into a Raider when the game ended. The game was super hype and all of us were watching the table as an entire IG force got cut down by a Archon with Incubi buddies in the backfield while a handful of Warriors at the middle just got Frag missile'd out non stop. Also 4 Razorwing Flocks completely wrecked out a Leman Russ in one round of assault.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 10, 2014

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
with my group we generally place objectives before rolling for deployment zones. it makes for a fairer spread of objectves cause neither player really wants to gimp either side of the table.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Went to my usual warhammer game night at the FLGS tonight, and there was a copy of the dex available for us to read, but not to purchase.

It's... not good. But it's not completely terrible. I think there are good lists to be made in there.

Shrikes are actually pretty decent stock. Their upgrades are too pricy, but they're fine as is.

Harpies are terrible, but I feel like a pair of Crones could do some good damage to enemy fliers.

Hive Tyrants and Carnifices are good as expected.

Gargoyles are the same price, but adrenal and toxin are 2 points each now. Not surprising, but I think they're still pretty good.

Hive Tyrants with Old Adversary can reroll 1s to hit and wound. Not specifically preferred enemy. Does not confer it to friendly models anymore, but it's only 10 points now. Hive Commander lets you outflank one unit, no bonuses to reserves. Costs 20 points. I dont remember what Indescribable Horror does, but it was 15 points.

I think you'll be able to make some good lists with it, but I just can't see it holding up very well to tournament lists from Eldar and Tau.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Master Twig posted:

I dont remember what Indescribable Horror does, but it was 15 points.

Fear USR with -3 Leadership Modifier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

Master Twig posted:

Went to my usual warhammer game night at the FLGS tonight, and there was a copy of the dex available for us to read, but not to purchase.

It's... not good. But it's not completely terrible. I think there are good lists to be made in there.

Shrikes are actually pretty decent stock. Their upgrades are too pricy, but they're fine as is.

Harpies are terrible, but I feel like a pair of Crones could do some good damage to enemy fliers.

Hive Tyrants and Carnifices are good as expected.

Gargoyles are the same price, but adrenal and toxin are 2 points each now. Not surprising, but I think they're still pretty good.

Hive Tyrants with Old Adversary can reroll 1s to hit and wound. Not specifically preferred enemy. Does not confer it to friendly models anymore, but it's only 10 points now. Hive Commander lets you outflank one unit, no bonuses to reserves. Costs 20 points. I dont remember what Indescribable Horror does, but it was 15 points.

I think you'll be able to make some good lists with it, but I just can't see it holding up very well to tournament lists from Eldar and Tau.

That's actually kind of nice to hear. My local meta is pretty competitive but if crones can do damage in the air thank gently caress for that. Are we really blocked out of BRB powers, fortifications and allies/FOC manipulation shenanigans? Because that's still a ver very serious dealbreaker for me at this point. And is the synapse/IB situation as bleak as the leaks made it look?

• Locked thread